Blaktop

Default Alternative to Cool Edit 2000

My question is......does anyone know of a cheap program that does what
Cool Edit 2000 does. I have downloaded 6 shareware audio editors from
Tucows and tried them all out but none of them seem to come close to
CE2000 in the editing and ease of use department. There are hundreds
of rippers, converters, all-in-one suites etc etc out there but
ripping/converting/burning is what they are about. Effects seem to be
just added in as an after-thought. What I want is a program I can do
simple stuff like adjust the playback level of each channel and add
some subtle reverb and EQ effects to some .wav files I have. This is
not studio production work, just touching up a few songs that my band
did a few years back and I certainly don't want to spend $500 AUD to
do it.

I have had Cool Edit on my system for some time but haven't had time
to play with it. I downloaded the shareware version from Tucows as it
was rated as the best entry level audio editor. After playing around
with one of my band .wav files I decided it could do what I needed it
to do so I would purchase the full version for US$65. However when I
clicked the registration button I was taken to Adobe's website.
Apparently in May Adobe bought Syntrillium and have released Cool Edit
2.0 rebranded as Adobe Audition and you can buy it for
US$299.......sheesh! If you own Cool Edit 2000 you can purchase an
upgrade to Audition for US$99, but you can't register Cool Edit 2000
any more.
Bob Cain

Neil Gould wrote:

I'd suggest that you leave a message on Adobe's audition board begging for
the continuance of CE 2000. Perhaps they will see the light after a while.

That's here, BTW:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Clive Backham

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 01:31:13 GMT, "Neil Gould"
wrote:

Unfortunately, it seems that CE 2000 is in limbo, at best. I don't think
Adobe sees a lot of value in that program, and is thus offering upgrades
to CE Pro for current users at a good price. But, I suspect that there are
many folks for whom CE Pro is significant overkill, no matter how great it
may be otherwise.

CE2000 was *the* de-facto industry standard affordable audio editor;
easily the market leader by a long way. Adobe axing it seems like a
pretty daft thing to do.

People who would have bought CE2000 are not going to buy Audition
instead; they'll go somewhere like GoldWave, Sound Forge XP, or some
other affordable editor I've not yet discovered. Adobe's bean counters
would do well to reflect on this.
Arny Krueger

wrote:

Unfortunately, it seems that CE 2000 is in limbo, at best. I don't
think Adobe sees a lot of value in that program, and is thus
offering upgrades to CE Pro for current users at a good price. But,
I suspect that there are many folks for whom CE Pro is significant
overkill, no matter how great it may be otherwise.

CE2000 was *the* de-facto industry standard affordable audio editor;
easily the market leader by a long way. Adobe axing it seems like a
pretty daft thing to do.

It seems like there should be an "Audition LT" or somthing like it in the
future.

Marketing wisdom is generally that if you are going to come out with a low
end product and a high end product in a produce line, you come out with the
high end product first, if you can.

People who would have bought CE2000 are not going to buy Audition
instead; they'll go somewhere like GoldWave, Sound Forge XP, or some
other affordable editor I've not yet discovered. Adobe's bean counters
would do well to reflect on this.

They seem to have figured this out, elsewhere in their product line.

vaathe

"Neil Gould" wrote in message hlink.net...
Recently, Blaktop posted:

[...]

In the meantime, perhaps you can pick up a registered copy from someone
who is no longer in need of it.

Neil

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/index.php?lang=en

Arny Krueger

"vaathe" wrote in message
om

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/index.php?lang=en

As an alternative to Cool Edit?

No way!

cedric

Malcolm Short wrote:
"Blaktop" wrote in message
om...

My question is......does anyone know of a cheap program that does what
Cool Edit 2000 does. I have downloaded 6 shareware audio editors from

Have you tried audacity ? This is really a great free audio editor..
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

CP

Len Moskowitz

In article ,
cedric wrote:

Have you tried audacity ? This is really a great free audio editor..
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity is great GPLed software but it doesn't yet support easy sample
level editting.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Mike Rivers

In article writes: