Posted to rec.audio.car
sims sims is offline

Default 8" 10" or 12"...which one?

just looking for a little kick in the back of my jimmy, and not trying to
break the bank.

I noticed I can get a 10" or a 12" with the exact same specs
(watts/rms/ohms) but was wondering what would be the benefit to using a
larger sub?

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

sims wrote:
just looking for a little kick in the back of my jimmy, and not trying
to break the bank.

I noticed I can get a 10" or a 12" with the exact same specs
(watts/rms/ohms) but was wondering what would be the benefit to using a
larger sub?

A larger subwoofer will generally give you a deeper bass output when
comparing the same mfg/model/line of sub. With that said, deep bass
output is highly dependent on how well your subwoofer enclosure is mated
to your subwoofer.

Just keep in mind that not every subwoofer is created equally and some
brands are WAY better than others, except JL Audio. Don't get me wrong,
JL Audio is expensive for a reason and that is because their Quality
Control standards are overboard. I am just saying there are subwoofers
that sound almost as good as JL Audio for a lost less $$!
Posted to rec.audio.car
sims sims is offline

what companies would you compare to JL? I was interested in them only since
the shop told me to go with them. I am not expierenced with brands to
quality in car audio, but I must say I was impressed with JL.
I was at another place tonight and they sell MTX, rockford, infinity, and
JBL. the salesman recommended the infinity, but also noted his car is
loaded with JL...

"ChrisB" wrote in message
sims wrote:
just looking for a little kick in the back of my jimmy, and not trying to
break the bank.

I noticed I can get a 10" or a 12" with the exact same specs
(watts/rms/ohms) but was wondering what would be the benefit to using a
larger sub?

A larger subwoofer will generally give you a deeper bass output when
comparing the same mfg/model/line of sub. With that said, deep bass
output is highly dependent on how well your subwoofer enclosure is mated
to your subwoofer.

Just keep in mind that not every subwoofer is created equally and some
brands are WAY better than others, except JL Audio. Don't get me wrong,
JL Audio is expensive for a reason and that is because their Quality
Control standards are overboard. I am just saying there are subwoofers
that sound almost as good as JL Audio for a lost less $$!

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

sims wrote:
what companies would you compare to JL? I was interested in them only
since the shop told me to go with them. I am not expierenced with
brands to quality in car audio, but I must say I was impressed with JL.
I was at another place tonight and they sell MTX, rockford, infinity,
and JBL. the salesman recommended the infinity, but also noted his car
is loaded with JL...

If you aren't going with a JL W6, W7, or TW5 series, I would recommend
the RE SE, Fi Q, or Zuki subs in lieu of JL Audio. If you really want
to spend some money, I would recommend the Image Dynamics IDMAX series.

I am not that anti-JL because I run a 13w6v2 in my 2006 Mustang. I also
have a pair of 10w3s that suck royally. Anyone that pays close to MSRP
for the w3 series is getting the biggest pile of crap that JL Audio
produces and the RE, Fi, and Zuki subs will walk all over them!

Check here for the subwoofers I am talking about:

http://reaudio.com/woofers.html#goto_se

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript

http://www.zukiaudio.com/

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...hp?Family_Id=4

I will tell you the main reason I am anti-JL audio though.... That is
because every local custom shop pushes them and pushes them HARD! The
profit margins on JL Audio equipment in general are LARGE and everyone
who drinks the JL Audio kool aid swears that JL is the best, and JL is
far from it, especially for the price!

Posted to rec.audio.car
sims sims is offline

good to hear!
kinda of like nuance home theatres (which I unfortunatly have, good
speakers WAYYYYY overpriced for what they are)

"ChrisB" wrote in message
sims wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

go pioneer subs!!!!! almost impossible to beat!

Posted to rec.audio.car
sims sims is offline

I stopped at another place tonight and they had these
https://www2.visions.ca/catalogue/ca...&me nuLevel=2

I was looking to do all 4ohm though

go pioneer subs!!!!! almost impossible to beat!

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

sims wrote:
I stopped at another place tonight and they had these
https://www2.visions.ca/catalogue/ca...&me nuLevel=2

I was looking to do all 4ohm though

Do you need 4 ohm DVC subs or a 4 ohm final load for a pair of subs?

Contrary to popular belief, these subwoofers are NOT BAD for the price:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...S-W1207D4.html
Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

bob wald wrote:
go pioneer subs!!!!! almost impossible to beat!

As much as I enjoy arguing with you, I heard a pair of Pioneer 10" subs
a few months back and they surprised the hell out of me! Also, they
were ordered as part of some package from Sonic Electronix where the
subs and the box were a total of $125 shipped or something crazy low
like that.

Kind of reminded me of Coustic subs back in the 90s. I always talked
trash about them until a friend of mine showed up with some and asked me
to make an enclosure for him. He had this huge Sherwood 240 amp that he
used to push those 10" Coustics each in a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box,
and they were LOUD and CLEAN!
Posted to rec.audio.car
sims sims is offline

wish I could get those prices in canada. after shipping and duty charges it
works out pretty much the same as buying them here.

and I was really surprised with the 12" today at work. a guy pulled into
the work site with the ugliest mustang (newer one, hes smashed it and its
rusting out) I have ever seen. went to talk him and was questioning the
car. he opened the door pull a blanket off where the rear seat should be
and he had dual 12" pioneer premiums each with their own amp, turned the
stereo on low and rattle away. and it didn't sound to bad. unfortunatly he
will need to find a new car as the speakers will out live his ford =)

"ChrisB" wrote in message
bob wald wrote:
go pioneer subs!!!!! almost impossible to beat!

As much as I enjoy arguing with you, I heard a pair of Pioneer 10" subs a
few months back and they surprised the hell out of me! Also, they were
ordered as part of some package from Sonic Electronix where the subs and
the box were a total of $125 shipped or something crazy low like that.

Kind of reminded me of Coustic subs back in the 90s. I always talked
trash about them until a friend of mine showed up with some and asked me
to make an enclosure for him. He had this huge Sherwood 240 amp that he
used to push those 10" Coustics each in a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box, and
they were LOUD and CLEAN!

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

sims wrote:
wish I could get those prices in canada. after shipping and duty
charges it works out pretty much the same as buying them here.

and I was really surprised with the 12" today at work. a guy pulled
into the work site with the ugliest mustang (newer one, hes smashed it
and its rusting out) I have ever seen. went to talk him and was
questioning the car. he opened the door pull a blanket off where the
rear seat should be and he had dual 12" pioneer premiums each with their
own amp, turned the stereo on low and rattle away. and it didn't sound
to bad. unfortunatly he will need to find a new car as the speakers
will out live his ford =)

I own a rustang myself, 2006, but it isn't rusting, lol! The only
reason I ended up going with the JL Audio Stealthbox is because I was
tired of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The trunk
opening on any Mustang since 1996 pretty much sucks, unless you want to
build your box in the trunk.

Also, I travel too much, so ditching the spare is not an option. Ever
get a flat 300 miles away from home? Try finding a replacement BF
Goodrich KDW NT in 235/50-18 300 miles away from home only to be told
that they are a special order item.

I should have just ditched that useless back seat, and I still may end
up doing so.
Posted to rec.audio.car
cdd cdd is offline

On Nov 19, 3:15*am, ChrisB wrote:
sims wrote:
[...]

What do you think of Soundstream- I use the T4 15" subs But real
speakers
require real power!!
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , cdd wrote:
On Nov 19, 3:15=A0am, ChrisB wrote:
sims wrote:
wish I could get those prices in canada. =A0after shipping and duty
charges it works out pretty much the same as buying them here.

and I was really surprised with the 12" today at work. =A0a guy pulled
into the work site with the ugliest mustang (newer one, hes smashed it
and its rusting out) I have ever seen. =A0went to talk him and was
questioning the car. =A0he opened the door pull a blanket off where the
rear seat should be and he had dual 12" pioneer premiums each with thei=

own amp, turned the stereo on low and rattle away. =A0and it didn't sou=

nd
to bad. =A0unfortunatly he will need to find a new car as the speakers
will out live his ford =3D)

I own a rustang myself, 2006, but it isn't rusting, lol! =A0The only
reason I ended up going with the JL Audio Stealthbox is because I was
tired of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. =A0The trunk
opening on any Mustang since 1996 pretty much sucks, unless you want to
build your box in the trunk.

Also, I travel too much, so ditching the spare is not an option. =A0Ever
get a flat 300 miles away from home? =A0Try finding a replacement BF
Goodrich KDW NT in 235/50-18 300 miles away from home only to be told
that they are a special order item.

I should have just ditched that useless back seat, and I still may end
up doing so.

What do you think of Soundstream- I use the T4 15" subs But real
speakers
require real power!!

Inefficient speakers need real power.
Larger speakers tend to be more efficient needing less power.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

sherwood 240 was the smallest in the xat series..i have the 3400.
actually theres 2 zeros.

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

bob wald wrote:
sherwood 240 was the smallest in the xat series..i have the 3400.
actually theres 2 zeros.

One of the things that my friend could not understand is why my Punch
150 was so much louder on his 10s than his 240 watt Sherwood. I guess I
should have told him that I was friends with the area distributor who
had his Punch 150s modified so that he could cheat in competitions
(lol). Guess who I purchased most of my Punch 150s from....

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

rf...hAHAhahaHA......i just meant theres 2 zeros on its
series...xat2400.
but the xats are 2ohm stable....my Sherwood xat3400 is 85rms to
4ohms/4channels.
yours was 65rms to 4ohms/channels too.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

.. I am just saying there are subwoofers
that sound almost as good as JL Audio for a lost less $$!

I'll second that. You are partly paying for the JL name and their large PR
and marketing budget. They are great subs; I used a pair of 12W3's for
years several years back and they were outstanding subs, but a bit pricey
for what you can buy today for that same price.

As far as your original question, the larger the subwoofer you get buys you
two major advantages: 1) larger subs are more generally more efifcient
meaning they need less power to produce the same SPL as a smaller sub. This
can be be VERY beneficial if you do not have a large sub amp OR a lot of
extra current from your car's electrical system. 2) the other advantage is
that larger subs can generally play lower frequencies at greater volume than
smaller subs.

HOWEVER, the generally accepted drawback of larger subs is that they are not
as "tight" as smaller subs. This, however, is debatable and depends greatly
on the subs in question. Of course the other drawback is that larger subs
require larger enclosures, thereby you will need to sacrifice more cabin or
trunk space.

I would not necessarily rule out 15" subs either. I recently had a pair of
high-end MTX 7500 12"'s stollen out of my car. I had this unused dual 15"
sealed box just laying around in my garage and decided to buy a pair of low
cost 15's.

To my surprise, I actually like the 15's better than my MTX 12's. They are
MUCH louder as they are more efficient as I mentioned earlier. They also
can play lower than my 12's. As far as "tightness", I don't notice any
difference at all. They sound GREAT!!! If you have the space in your
vehicle, you may want to consider 15's as well. It's safe to say this will
give you the loudest bang for your buck.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
SKaReCRoW SKaReCRoW is offline

Back in 2000 I paid retail for a pair of 10w3d6's that I stuck in an
Audiobahn bandpass box after blowing my Audiobahn subs on my way to my first
db drag comp. (amp accidentally got switched to full range instead of low
pass)

My first comp didn't go well, but not because of the speakers. I didn't
have the worlds greatest amp hooked up to them. The next db drag comp was a
week later, and in that week I installed an Audiobahn A2200HC, and blew away
everyone in my class (1-2 woofers 0-400 watts street class). I was the only
person running 10's. Everyone else in my class was running a pair of 12's
of various brands including JL, Rockford, Kicker, and several others. The
only person who even came close was a girl running a pair of 12w3's in a
little red hatchback. I had my setup in an 87 Toyota Camry. If I remember
correctly she was using a RF amp, but I couldn't tell you which one. She
hit 141.7 against my 141.9. 2 weeks later I installed a crossover and hit
142.7 at a USAC event with the same JL 10w3's which weren't even in the
correct type of box!

Sorry, but if the w3 series is the biggest pile of crap that JL makes, I'm
afraid of their "good" stuff. I know the w3's are severely underrated too.
The 10w3d6's are rated to handle 250 watts RMS, but I was pushing about 1200
watts into the pair running the A2200HC at 1.5 ohm mono. The subs took
everything I could throw at them and begged for more. That's why I just
bought a pair of 15w3v2's and an Audiobahn A2300HCX amp for my Suburban.
Haven't hooked anything up yet, cuz I haven't decided if I'm going to build
or buy a box yet, and whichever route I go I need to build a custom amp rack
as well.