Posted to rec.audio.car
Lemmy Lemmy is offline

Default 5 Channel Amp Comparisons

OK, I'm looking for a 5 channel amp to power my car stereo system. Speakers
are 5x7s. Not sure of the subwoofer yet which I'm replacing but nothing
bigger than a single 12". Anyone want to comment on any of the listed amps
below and recommend (or critique) one over the other(s)?

Memphi Belle 16 MCH600 5 Channel Amplifier

Alpine PDX5 5 Channel Amplifier

Rockford Fosgate Power1000 5 Channel Amplifier

Kicker ZX700.5 5 Channel Amplifier

US Amps AX5600G 5 Channel Amplifier

Focal Power 5.500 5 Channel Amplifier

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Lemmy wrote:
OK, I'm looking for a 5 channel amp to power my car stereo system.
Speakers are 5x7s. Not sure of the subwoofer yet which I'm replacing
but nothing bigger than a single 12". Anyone want to comment on any of
the listed amps below and recommend (or critique) one over the other(s)?

Memphi Belle 16 MCH600 5 Channel Amplifier

Alpine PDX5 5 Channel Amplifier

Rockford Fosgate Power1000 5 Channel Amplifier

Kicker ZX700.5 5 Channel Amplifier

US Amps AX5600G 5 Channel Amplifier

Focal Power 5.500 5 Channel Amplifier

I have a Rockford Fosgate 25 to Life Power 1000 and I like it. Right
now it is on four Infinity Kappa 682.7cf (6x8s) and a JL Audio 13w6v2 in
my 2006 Mustang GT.

The pros:

This amp will do more than rated power, like 108x4 @ 4 ohms on the a/b
circuit and 698 @ 2 ohms on the class D channel. At one ohm it is just
a tad under 200 watts per channel on the a/b circuits and close to 1000
watts RMS on the d circuit! I also like the fact that it directly takes
1/0 wire for power and ground. It is also fan cooled. Most importantly
is the price. I purchased mine for $460 and I would be hard pressed to
find an amplifier that can do this amount of power for this price!

The cons:

This amp is friggin huge and you will need about 24 inches of width and
13 inches of height to mount this bad boy. I also don't care for the
chrome finish or the bling factor lights.

Other amps on your list that I would have no problems running would be
the Memphis Belle, the Kicker, or the Focal Power. IIRC, there is also
a Polk Audio 5 channel amp that is pretty close specs wise to these amps
but I have no idea how the Polk Audio amplifier sounds. The first
person to tell me that all amplifiers sounds the same can prepare to be
flamed by a real world test that I performed!

I would shy away from the Alpine because I think that they are lacking
in the midbass area. I could be wrong, but I heard one recently, and I
did not care for the sound that it produced. If I had to describe it, I
would say that it is less than flat. I can't speak for US Amps because
I would only run an older, "Made in the USA" US Amps surfboard sized
beast (lol).
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Don't know if you are still looking, but on Ebay right now there is a
vintage Soundstream Ref. 405 for sale, a 5 channel amplifier. Don't let the
power numbers fool you, it is a high current amp and is INCREDIBLY
under-rated (this was back in the IASCA days when competitors bought amps
that purposly underated their amps so they could compete in lower power
Class brackets to gain an advantage), this was such an amp, you can safely
double the rated power specifications for a true estimate of power. I think
it's going for around $50 right now, a TRUE BARGAIN, this amp will last a
lifetime, and your grandchildren's lifetime.

MOSFET

"Lemmy" wrote in message
OK, I'm looking for a 5 channel amp to power my car stereo system.
Speakers are 5x7s. Not sure of the subwoofer yet which I'm replacing but
nothing bigger than a single 12". Anyone want to comment on any of the
listed amps below and recommend (or critique) one over the other(s)?

Memphi Belle 16 MCH600 5 Channel Amplifier

Alpine PDX5 5 Channel Amplifier

Rockford Fosgate Power1000 5 Channel Amplifier

Kicker ZX700.5 5 Channel Amplifier

US Amps AX5600G 5 Channel Amplifier

Focal Power 5.500 5 Channel Amplifier

Hearing Aid Comparisons Peter Pro Audio 2 February 3rd 06 07:21 PM
Product comparisons [email protected] High End Audio 125 October 21st 05 06:50 AM
M-audio comparisons [email protected] Pro Audio 0 March 1st 05 10:50 PM
Speaker Comparisons Peter General 0 December 10th 04 07:59 AM
Disc Comparisons Peter High End Audio 3 December 16th 03 06:48 PM