Posted to rec.audio.tech
Legaldeejay Legaldeejay is offline

Default Is there any quality loss in these situations?

I've always wanted to know whether there is any true quality loss in the
following circumstances:

1. I burn a 192 kbps mp3 file to CD as a .wav file so that it can play on
a CD player. If I re-create an mp3 file at 192 kbps from that same CD, is
there any quality loss?

2. I open a 192 kbps mp3 file in Soundforge to edit. Soundforge creates a
temporary file for editing. Once I edit the file, I save the new file as a
a 192 kbps mp3 file. Is there any quality loss in this process?

3. I run a 192 kbps mp3 file through a normalizing program like Mptrim. If
the program makes changes to the file, such as eliminating silence at the
beginning of the file and normalizing the volume, is there any quality loss?

4. When zipping and unzipping mp3 files in Winzip and WinRar, is there any
quality loss?

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Industrial One Industrial One is offline

On 27 Aug., 11:30, "Legaldeejay" wrote:
I've always wanted to know whether there is any true quality loss in the
following circumstances:

1. I burn a 192 kbps mp3 file to CD as a .wav file so that it can play on
a CD player. If I re-create an mp3 file at 192 kbps from that same CD, is
there any quality loss?

2. I open a 192 kbps mp3 file in Soundforge to edit. Soundforge creates a
temporary file for editing. Once I edit the file, I save the new file as a
a 192 kbps mp3 file. Is there any quality loss in this process?

Yeah there is, but minimal and probably not noticeable, but if you
repeat that a dozen times then there'll be perceptible loss. Use a
bitrate of 256 or 320 if you wanna edit and re-save to MP3 all the
timem that way you'll only have real loss after the 100th time. Better
yet, use MP4, it's way better than MP3 and can handle the same
molesting you're doing to your song at half the bitrate.

3. I run a 192 kbps mp3 file through a normalizing program like Mptrim. If
the program makes changes to the file, such as eliminating silence at the
beginning of the file and normalizing the volume, is there any quality loss?

Not really. But obviously, if you set the volume too low and then
amplify back to normal then you will raise the noise level to what was
inaudible before. Apply common sense before doing anything to your
song.

4. When zipping and unzipping mp3 files in Winzip and WinRar, is there any
quality loss?

Thanks

Lol... you're full of ****. Winzip and WinRAR are both lossless,
meaning no quality loss.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Legaldeejay" wrote ...
I've always wanted to know whether there is any true quality loss in the
following circumstances:

1. I burn a 192 kbps mp3 file to CD as a .wav file so that it can play
on
a CD player. If I re-create an mp3 file at 192 kbps from that same CD, is
there any quality loss?

Yes.

2. I open a 192 kbps mp3 file in Soundforge to edit. Soundforge creates
temporary file for editing. Once I edit the file, I save the new file as
a 192 kbps mp3 file. Is there any quality loss in this process?

Yes

3. I run a 192 kbps mp3 file through a normalizing program like Mptrim.
If
the program makes changes to the file, such as eliminating silence at the
beginning of the file and normalizing the volume, is there any quality
loss?

Yes

4. When zipping and unzipping mp3 files in Winzip and WinRar, is there
any quality loss?

Probably not.

In cases 1-3, you are "reconstructing" the audio from a LOSSY
compression (MP3) Repeated trips through this compression-to-
decompression-to-compression path produce additional LOSS
every time you make the trip.

ZIP in general is a NON-LOSSY compression scheme.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

"Legaldeejay" wrote in message
[...]

Mp3 is a lossy compression. Basically it will decide to discard portions of
the data that the algorithm believes are insignificant. Adjusting the
compression will preserve more but at a higher cost in space used. On a
computer space is not really an issue so you are better off performing edits
on the uncompressed version of the music straight from the cd. And then
compressing it at the end.

Zipping is a lossless compresison. That means every bit in the original
data is restored when it is uncompressed. You can zip and unzip a thousand
times and still have an exact copy of the original. The are also lossless
compressions specific to music as well. Typically the resulting file from
lossless will only be a bit smaller than the original when music is
compressed. Where as a lossy compression can produce a file that is only a
fraction of the original size.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

In article ,
Legaldeejay wrote:

I've always wanted to know whether there is any true quality loss in the
following circumstances:

That depends on what you mean by "true quality loss".

I'll interpret it as meaning "the sonic content of the output, when
played, is detectably different than the sonic quality of the input."

1. I burn a 192 kbps mp3 file to CD as a .wav file so that it can play on
a CD player. If I re-create an mp3 file at 192 kbps from that same CD, is
there any quality loss?

Yes. In principle, each pass through a "lossy" encoder such as MP3
will result in some loss of quality... loss of certain frequencies,
and/or increased quantization noise (distortion), etc.

The "burn to CD, rip back from CD" step is lossless (if you have a
decent ripping program and good-quality CD-R blanks), but the
subsequent MP3 encoding step is lossy.

2. I open a 192 kbps mp3 file in Soundforge to edit. Soundforge creates a
temporary file for editing. Once I edit the file, I save the new file as a
a 192 kbps mp3 file. Is there any quality loss in this process?

Yes, almost certainly. Same reason.

3. I run a 192 kbps mp3 file through a normalizing program like Mptrim. If
the program makes changes to the file, such as eliminating silence at the
beginning of the file and normalizing the volume, is there any quality loss?

Yup.

4. When zipping and unzipping mp3 files in Winzip and WinRar, is there any
quality loss?

No. The compression logic in those algoriths is lossless - the output
of the decompression process is bit-for-bit identical to what went
in.

For all of the above reasons, if you want to manipulate music (or
other audio) via any sort of editing, and maintain the best quality,
you should keep the music in a lossless representation for as long as
possible... e.g. straight PCM, or a losslessly-compressed format such
as FLAC or ZIP or RAR. Do all of your editing and manipulation in
these domains. Then, at the very end of the process, perform whatever
sort of lossy encoding you may want to use for delivery (e.g. MP3, Ogg
Vorbis, RealAudio, etc.), and keep the losslessly-stored version in
your archives for future use.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Aug 27, 7:30*am, "Legaldeejay" wrote:
[...]

Why would you ZIP up or RAR down a compressed audio file anyway?

CD
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On Aug 27, 2:43*pm, codifus wrote:
[...]

CD- Hide quoted text -

Well, maybe you want to stuff a bunch of them into one file. Simpler
to ftp or something. Just a thought. Agreed, you're not going to get
any further space reduction.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
4. When zipping and unzipping mp3 files in Winzip and WinRar, is
there any quality loss?

Probably not.

In cases 1-3, you are "reconstructing" the audio from a LOSSY
compression (MP3) Repeated trips through this compression-to-
decompression-to-compression path produce additional LOSS
every time you make the trip.

ZIP in general is a NON-LOSSY compression scheme.

ZIP is not "in general" non-lossy - it's outright non-lossy.

In which case it's not "probably not", but "No".

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Capik Ron Capik is offline

Legaldeejay wrote:

I've always wanted to know whether there is any true quality loss in the
following circumstances:

1. I burn a 192 kbps mp3 [ ... ]

2. I open a 192 kbps mp3 file in [ ... ]

3. I run a 192 kbps mp3 file through [ ... ]

4. When zipping and unzipping [ ... ]

Thanks

Um... why not just do the experiment?

Then too, it depends on your definition of
" true quality loss" leading back to "do
the experiment."

Later...

Ron Capik
--
[PS: I've done the experiments for 1,2, and 4
but don't have the {whatever} for 3. ]

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Legaldeejay wrote:
I've always wanted to know whether there is any true quality loss in the
following circumstances:

1. I burn a 192 kbps mp3 file to CD as a .wav file so that it can play on
a CD player. If I re-create an mp3 file at 192 kbps from that same CD, is
there any quality loss?

Could be. An ABX coparison will tell you if there is any audible losss.
The mp3 codec will attempt to remove data again, it doesn't 'know'
that the file has already been lossy compressed once before. However, your're safer doing
two rounds of 192 kbps than if you had started with, say, a 128 kbps mp3.

2. I open a 192 kbps mp3 file in Soundforge to edit. Soundforge creates a
temporary file for editing. Once I edit the file, I save the new file as a
a 192 kbps mp3 file. Is there any quality loss in this process?

the temporary file is likely a .wav, so the same applies.

3. I run a 192 kbps mp3 file through a normalizing program like Mptrim. If
the program makes changes to the file, such as eliminating silence at the
beginning of the file and normalizing the volume, is there any quality loss?

Possibly. Again, an ABX is the way to 'prove' it to yourself.

4. When zipping and unzipping mp3 files in Winzip and WinRar, is there any
quality loss?

No. THis is purely data compression, not lossy compression.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Industrial One Industrial One is offline

http://www.zshare.net/download/17777675953c3152/

Same clip re-encoded 100x on different bitrates. Judge for yourself.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:

3. I run a 192 kbps mp3 file through a normalizing program like
Mptrim. If
the program makes changes to the file, such as eliminating silence
at the beginning of the file and normalizing the volume, is there
any quality loss?

Yes

This could depend on _how_ mptrim does what it does.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen