Powell

Default What Software for Editing Sound on PC

"SPS22" wrote

Any other program that is recommended around here?

Check out Sonic Foundry/Sony products:

Sound Forge Studio 6.0 - $70
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=718

CD Architech 5.0 - $240
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=780

Sound Forge 7.0 - $400 "The industry standard is still the industry
standard."
- Recording Magazine
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=668

Arny Krueger

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Here's a news flash Valle - CE/Audition also has wave form synthesis
and a spectrum analyzer. So they aren't valid reasons to prefer SF.

One could easily prefer SF's versions, so it ain't a reason to prefer

CE/A either.

Agreed. While both products have these features, significant details of
their implementations might vary. For example, in former discussions there
were some ease-of-use differences in the implementation of normalization
that favored WL for less-experienced users.

We don't all have to fawn over the same application.

Agreed.

However, it's not always all about fawning. It's also about having a job to
do and whether a product has the necessary features.

I sort of stumbled into CE some years ago, and just it kept meeting my
needs. CE was an early implementer of 24 & 32 bits, and still offers
unsurpassed support for far higher sample rates. I believe that SF 5, which
followed CEP by a year or more, was the first SF to support 24/96.

I have briefly used a lite verison of SF, but really didn't see enough of a
difference to justify switching.

There appears to have been a period of a year or more when CE supported far
more data formats and higher sample rates than SF. OTOH, SF has long
appeared to have an integrated CD burning feature that Adobe has not yet
made available in Audition, after a promising beta release from Syntrillium
in CE2.

I believe that possibly Wavelab has the edge on SF in functionality.

Wavelab appears to have be RAM-based while SF & CE/Audition are disk-based.
This gives WL a speed advantage for small files. Regrettably it appears that
WL is merely a stereo product, and you have to look elsewhere in the
Steinberg line for multitracking.

Looking at Steinberg's line of products, it seems that it would take Cubase
+ Nuendo + Wavelab to compare to Audition.

But I prefer SF's user interface and way of working.

During my brief experience with SF, I was struck by how similar the programs
were for the features that both implemented.

Powell

"Arny Krueger" wrote

But I prefer SF's user interface and way of working.

During my brief experience with SF, I was struck by
how similar the programs were for the features that
both implemented.

Which version of Sound Forge are you referring
to (empirical experience)?

Arny Krueger

"Powell" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote

But I prefer SF's user interface and way of working.

During my brief experience with SF, I was struck by
how similar the programs were for the features that
both implemented.

Which version of Sound Forge are you referring
to (empirical experience)?

Tell you what Powell, I'll answer this question when you show reasonable
progress on answering the questions that I asked you a few days ago about
your empirical experiences. Ironically, this list of questions that you
continue to slough is based on questions that you've recently demanded
answers of from others.

dave weil

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:59:12 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Ironically, this list of questions that you continue to slough is based on questions

In English please. Either that, or provide a Krooglish translation...

Thank you for your cooperation.

Powell

"Arny Krueger" wrote

"Arny Krueger" wrote

During my brief experience with SF, I was struck by
how similar the programs were for the features that
both implemented.

Which version of Sound Forge are you referring
to (empirical experience)?

snip quacking

I’m always interested in learning something new,
Arny .

SPS22

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Any example of what can be done in CoolEdit, that is not doable in
Goldwave or Audacity?

I'm not a Goldwave or Audacity expert, but how about you tell me how to do
something with either or both that is easy and obvious in CE?

Well, I am essentially trying to convert cassettes to CD's. So I think
I need the following:

- Record from source
- Small edits like
* removal of some portion of song
* removal of some portion of song but
not disturb the cycle of the rythm
(Audacity seems more helpful than Goldwave
for this)
- Good hiss removal (Audacity & Goldwave hiss removal
makes the music worse, not better, for me.)
- Normalize volume of many .wav files to one level

surinder

SPS22

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message ...

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum Analyzer
It is 2 track however, not multi track

I too like Sound Forge. Other's prefer Wavelab. He was specifically talking
about "editing sound", as opposed to multitrack recording and mixing.

Opinions would help: Would folks here rather buy SoundForge or Goldwave? (the
price of them are fairly similar, 70 & 40 respectively).

-surinder

Arny Krueger

"SPS22" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Any example of what can be done in CoolEdit, that is not doable in
Goldwave or Audacity?

I'm not a Goldwave or Audacity expert, but how about you tell me how
to do something with either or both that is easy and obvious in CE?

Well, I am essentially trying to convert cassettes to CD's. So I think
I need the following:

- Record from source
- Small edits like
* removal of some portion of song
* removal of some portion of song but
not disturb the cycle of the rhythm
(Audacity seems more helpful than Goldwave
for this)
- Good hiss removal (Audacity & Goldwave hiss removal
makes the music worse, not better, for me.)
- Normalize volume of many .wav files to one level

Other than the hiss removal, the two low end products you've mentioned seem
like they would do the job you need done. Those of us who use CoolEdit Pro -
Audition don't have much need for add-ins because these products have a
number of built-in hiss removal features.

Bear in mind that it is difficult or impossible to remove a great deal of
hiss without adversely affecting sound quality, no matter what hardware and
software is at your disposal.

Arny Krueger

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
news
"Arny Krueger" emitted :

[...]

Sound Forge is more commonly used (preferred) in professional audio
circles, but don't let that bother you.

Opinion stated as fact.

Arny Krueger

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
news
"Arny Krueger" emitted :

[...]

Arny Krueger

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
news
"Arny Krueger" emitted :

[...]

Arny Krueger

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
news
"Arny Krueger" emitted :

[...]

Sound analyse software Bjarne J Aronsen Pro Audio 4 March 29th 04 09:41 AM
[OT] Sound measure software with equivalent sound level meter? jd Pro Audio 2 March 21st 04 08:34 PM
Sound vs. Audio Bob Smoot Pro Audio 3 March 9th 04 12:13 AM
What Software for Editing Sound on PC SPS22 General 122 January 27th 04 01:58 AM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM