Richard Crowley

Default DIY LS3/5A's

Are the drivers still available for these? I tried poking around
the WWW and it didn't seem too promising.

Geoff Wood

Richard Crowley wrote:
Are the drivers still available for these? I tried poking around
the WWW and it didn't seem too promising.

Yes. You can buy brand new BBC-licenced ones too.

www.ls35a.com may have some linkz.

geoff

RdM

:
: Yes. You can buy brand new BBC-licenced ones too.
:
: www.ls35a.com may have some linkz.

A personal tale ... words of a work or works in progress, perhaps;-)

I bought a new pair of SP1057 B110 for NZD$269.19 locally in Feb 01

The cabinets crossovers and tweeters (Philips AD 01600 T8) - the cabinets
heavy and built to LS35A type quality with damping pads et al - came from
the local Salvation Army for $5ea IIRC, with blown B110s. I didn't hesitate.
Maybe they were $10 ea, but I felt the weight and immediately the quality.

They were a local "clone", it appears, badged ARC 1. I'd like more info...

The crossover is a complex affair, 10 caps, 9 inductors, 9 resistors, and
marked Avalon Radio Corp ARC 11/imp. The whole box is a serious design.

I took a punt (having looked up the specs) that they were SP1057 not SP1033.

They were unmarked, and I had that choice. I still don't know. This may seem
extraordinary, but the SP1057 are still in the box and the cabinets
unreassembled. I stripped them to replace the sad binding posts, which
necessitated removing the crossover, having bought new posts, and planned to
refurbish the flaking and cracked black paint on the front, but they got put
aside due to personal circumstances at the time. The only other clue I have
is that a Chris Marquet was responsible for the design ... I have yet to
talk to him, but may have found him ... (I'll make that a new priority!)

However, I also have a full stereo set of B139, B110 SP1003, T27 A6340 and
DN12 crossover from a triangular TL with bad wadding and uninspiring,
probably local, construction that I bought s/h shortly after, which sounded
so bad that I deconstructed it;- presently using the cabinets face down as
speaker stands, (with a cushion beside ea) for a friends pair of Celestion
Ditton 25's, which his wife won't have in the new house, either side of the
TV, while the KEF 104ab's which used to be there have migrated from the
bedroom to above the shelving and cabinets in the kitchen/dining room ...

So I still have a choice of drive units for the ARC's, but hope it's SP1057.

The Ditton 25's are weird in that they go from a 12" and 12" PR to a tweeter
and two "supertweeters", with no midrange, and sound a bit thin cf the Kefs.
My friend fantasises about inserting a 2" dome midrange pair he has ... this
would of course involve a whole new front baffle and crossover redesign ...
we don't really know how to go about this at this point, but may do later.

I thought about somehow improving the bare local TL design, perhaps turning
it "sideways", and/or extending the length, but resources are slim at the
moment and there is plenty of time to consider the possibilities. The coffin
sub design appeals as a possible use of the B139's anyway, which frees up a
pair of SP1003 B110's and the earlier T27's, or perhaps I do do a better TL.

For a while I had a friends JBL Century L100's in the kitchen/dining and
they "changed my life" regarding speakers, in that all I've ever had is 70's
speakers, and I have to admit the 104ab pair doesn't sound so well in the
same position, but they *are* too close to the wall, & high; still, I can't
do without sound in there (here) now, since the kitchen amp is tape-looped
to both the lounge amp and the kitchen computer on which I type this, and
they flank a Commodore 1084 video monitor above the microwave and oven.

I used to have a pair of Philips 8" and tweeter on upside-down home-made
stands from the ceiling in the kitchen, angled down, and they sounded OK.

Actually I still need a replacement single T27 for the 104ab's and while
waiting for a replacement dome from Axent Audio have subbed brutally the T27
A6340's for the original T27 SP1032's ... I'm uncritically used to them now.

Still, I look forward to them moving back to the bedroom and something else!

In the background, I have some 8", mid, and metal dome tweeters from the
Wharfedale Precision series (505, 507, et al) awaiting cabinet construction,
so maybe I can move forward a decade (:=})) - but in the meantime, I am very
interested in this thread ... and when I do reconstruct the ARC 1's, and
hopefully chat with the designer, I will document them and forward the
results to the LS35A site, because I think that they are a fairly close
approximation, despite the oddball Philips tweeters (anyone know where
details of older Philips drivers may be found ?) and deserve recognition ...

Whew! chat !

Look at the loquaciousness a few wines on an empty stomach before a solo
late dinner will bring out! ... still, all & any info! ~ regards, from RdM.
--
nz, not zn!

Geoff Wood

RdM wrote:
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:
Are the drivers still available for these? I tried poking around
the WWW and it didn't seem too promising.

Yes. You can buy brand new BBC-licenced ones too.

www.ls35a.com may have some linkz.

A personal tale ... words of a work or works in progress, perhaps;-)

I bought a new pair of SP1057 B110 for NZD$269.19 locally in Feb 01

The cabinets crossovers and tweeters (Philips AD 01600 T8) - the
cabinets heavy and built to LS35A type quality with damping pads et
al - came from the local Salvation Army for $5ea IIRC, with blown
B110s. I didn't hesitate. Maybe they were $10 ea, but I felt the
weight and immediately the quality.

They were a local "clone", it appears, badged ARC 1. I'd like more
info...

Aha, the old Avalon Arcs. The cabinet on those was a little taller than the
LS35a, and I know there was at least one pair with my cloned LS35a crossover
boards installed. I assume my buddy still has them....

(Yes, a totally non-scientific mod, by him).

Actually I still need a replacement single T27 for the 104ab's and
while waiting for a replacement dome from Axent Audio have subbed
brutally the T27 A6340's for the original T27 SP1032's ... I'm
uncritically used to them now.

Try Mike Stace at Centrade (in the Wgtn phonebook).

geoff

RdM

"Geoff Wood" wrote:

: Aha, the old Avalon Arcs. The cabinet on those was a little taller than the
: LS35a, and I know there was at least one pair with my cloned LS35a crossover
: boards installed. I assume my buddy still has them....
:
: (Yes, a totally non-scientific mod, by him).

I'd be interested to hear more about it, and them. Why had you cloned some?
I'd agree that the substitution (by him) would be "un-scientific". Still ...
No accounting for taste, or audiophile ambitions! You heard both versions?

I should and shall draw out the existing xover. Test and measure the caps.

I talked briefly with CM tonight and arranged to ring again this weekend.
Although it's nigh on 30 yrs ago, he may still have the design details.

: Actually I still need a replacement single T27 for the 104ab's and
: while waiting for a replacement dome from Axent Audio have subbed
: brutally the T27 A6340's for the original T27 SP1032's ... I'm
: uncritically used to them now.
:
: Try Mike Stace at Centrade (in the Wgtn phonebook).

Ta for the info. I haven't talked with Axent in a while now - it's entirely
possible that they've forgotten I wanted one - I'll check both out.

Ross M.