bluecalx

Default Sound-proof headphone recommendations? Also, wireless mics. Lots of questions!

As part of my graduate degree, I'm working on two projects, both of
which involve semi-soundproof headphones. And one of the projects
requires some wireless hardware as well. But I'm not a big audio
equipment expert, so I'm quite confused as to what hardware I should
buy. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.
I'm working on a budget, so I can't get the absolute top-of-the-line
stuff. I'm looking for gear that's a reasonable mix of price and
performance. What I need is:

Project 1 -

1) One pair of wired headphones with a decent degree of
soundproofness. I'll be mounting mics on the outside of each earpiece
so that the wearer will only hear what the mics are picking up. I'd
like as little outside noise to leak through as is reasonably
possible.

2) A little battery-powered pre-amp to amplify the mic's signal and
send it to the headphones.

3) A pair of small, earbud-sized mics that act will function as a
stereo mic. You know, one mic that picks up left channel, one that
picks up the right and then combines them into a stereo signal.

Project 2 -

1) Four pairs of wireless headphones, also with a decent level of
soundproofing if possible. The soundproofing isn't as important here
as it is in the previous project, though. Since I have to get 4 pairs
of these, I'm willing to make a bit of sacrifice to save some money.

2) Four wireless mics. Ideally stereo, but I could live with mono.
I'd like to do something similar to the previous project, mounting one
mic on each earpiece. Then transmit that signal to a wireless
receiver which would output back to the headphones.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've looked around and found
most of these things, but the prices vary wildly and I don't know
exactly what I should be getting..
Richard Edmondson

"bluecalx" wrote in message
As part of my graduate degree, I'm working on two projects, both of
which involve semi-soundproof headphones. And one of the projects
requires some wireless hardware as well. But I'm not a big audio
equipment expert, so I'm quite confused as to what hardware I should
buy. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.
I'm working on a budget, so I can't get the absolute top-of-the-line
stuff. I'm looking for gear that's a reasonable mix of price and
performance. What I need is:

Project 1 -

1) One pair of wired headphones with a decent degree of
soundproofness. I'll be mounting mics on the outside of each earpiece
so that the wearer will only hear what the mics are picking up. I'd
like as little outside noise to leak through as is reasonably
possible.

-snip-

Vic Firth makes isolation headphones that they claim reduce outside noise
levels by 24db. I haven't actually tried them, but it makes sense.

Not trying to endorse Musician's Enemy, but: http://tinyurl.com/3xbdk

Todd H.

"Richard Edmondson" writes:

Vic Firth makes isolation headphones that they claim reduce outside noise
levels by 24db. I haven't actually tried them, but it makes sense.

Not trying to endorse Musician's Enemy, but:
http://tinyurl.com/3xbdk

There are also the Koss Metrophones that claim 29dB and really do seem
to kill the hell out of external sound:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/446901/

But they ain't cheap...

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

Charles Tomaras

"bluecalx" wrote in message
1) One pair of wired headphones with a decent degree of
soundproofness.

You won't find much better than the Remote Audio HN-7506 which use the
standard Sony MDRV7506 drivers in a sound proof enclosure.

http://www.trewaudio.com/hn7506.htm

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA

MM

Take a look at this link:
http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=Ahn0FjkrywF43n9iEkf7A9h9ZJTn CqMMyuO7bElZFhSOgE9Hx727!1224019209?event=VIEW_PRO DUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=qc2_headphones_index&pageN ame=/home_entertainment/headphones_headsets/index.jsp

/Mikhail