Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] julian8888888@hotmail.com is offline

Default Monitor Stands

Any recommendations on commercial monitor stands or DIY versions?
It's not something I've really given much thought to till now so if
you have any leads I can follow up that would be great thanks. I have
a pair of Yorkville YSM1P's that I'd like to get off a table and on to
some proper stands.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 8, 5:31 pm, wrote:
Any recommendations on commercial monitor stands or DIY versions?

I just stacked up a pile of cinder blocks. Use two blocks per "layer"
and stack them crossed for solidity. I think my pair of monitor stands
cost me about $10 at Home Depot. And hardly anyone comes in to the
room without commenting on them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 8, 5:43 pm, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
On Mar 8, 5:31 pm, wrote:

Any recommendations on commercial monitor stands or DIY versions?

I just stacked up a pile of cinder blocks. Use two blocks per "layer"
and stack them crossed for solidity. I think my pair of monitor stands
cost me about $10 at Home Depot. And hardly anyone comes in to the
room without commenting on them.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I found this thread that advises against
concrete though, or rather advises something he finds better. Perhaps
there is a benefit, but how much better would it be I wonder.

This thread I found has a guy saying that the metal posts filled with
sand are better than concrete:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...dad7457730aef2

This is one of the better solid looking ones I've found so far using
this concept:
http://www.studiotech.com/products/s...-24/index.html

Those filled up with sand seem to be a combination of the concrete
idea with the added absorption through the metal resonance. It seems
to me the metal wants to resonate and pull the energy away from the
monitors and the sand dissipates it. Neat. I will keep researching
though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in news:1173393805.017369.290360@
8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com:

On Mar 8, 5:31 pm, wrote:
Any recommendations on commercial monitor stands or DIY versions?

I just stacked up a pile of cinder blocks. Use two blocks per "layer"
and stack them crossed for solidity. I think my pair of monitor stands
cost me about $10 at Home Depot. And hardly anyone comes in to the
room without commenting on them.

I second that. Large monitors on 1 layer, near fields on a stack 4 high.

To avoid the comments I tossed table cloths over the "stands" for the near
fields.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 8, 5:31 pm, wrote:
Any recommendations on commercial monitor stands or DIY versions?

I just stacked up a pile of cinder blocks. Use two blocks per "layer"
and stack them crossed for solidity. I think my pair of monitor stands
cost me about $10 at Home Depot. And hardly anyone comes in to the
room without commenting on them.

Hhhmmmm . . .that sounds like the marketing department in you talking Mike!
What do the people actually say???
(just kidding around! ;-)

John L Rice

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8 Mar 2007 14:43:25 -0800, "Mike Rivers"
wrote:

I just stacked up a pile of cinder blocks. Use two blocks per "layer"
and stack them crossed for solidity. I think my pair of monitor stands
cost me about $10 at Home Depot. And hardly anyone comes in to the
room without commenting on them.

Real street stink comes with another cinder block on top
of the speaker. (And the chicks go wild.)

Extra points for explaining *why*, to a civilian, in two sentences
and with no arm motions and no mention of the sacred sands of
Mount Fuji.

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
darrelldklein darrelldklein is offline

On Mar 8, 4:31 pm, wrote:
Any recommendations on commercial monitor stands or DIY versions?
It's not something I've really given much thought to till now so if
you have any leads I can follow up that would be great thanks. I have
a pair of Yorkville YSM1P's that I'd like to get off a table and on to
some proper stands.

With no science behind it other than to avoid sand running all over
and the fact that I have my Yamaha Club PA speakers (for rehersal) up
on (all of my) cinder blocks, I used 4" PVC pipe filled with concrete
(using super-fine audiophile grade sand) with plumbing flanges on the
ends mounted to wood bases. Then I painted 'em a sonically neutral
shade of yellow.

It was cheap, and the time I spent building them allowed me to avoid
any actual music production.

Right now I am building a 4 x 12 and a 1 x 15 pair of guitar speaker
cabs for the increasing number of studio cabs I have around. By the
time I die, I will have a stellar set of stuff and hours of unmixed
takes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RDOGuy RDOGuy is offline

On Mar 8, 11:15 pm, "darrelldklein" wrote:

I used 4" PVC pipe filled with concrete
(using super-fine audiophile grade sand) with plumbing flanges on the
ends mounted to wood bases.

I have found that audiophile-grade sand is becoming harder to obtain
since the Sakrete-QuikSet merger. Please tell us where you found it!

Then I painted 'em a sonically neutral
shade of yellow.

But did you take the inductive reactance of Yellow into
consideration? Moonlight Mauve will work better in this application.

It was cheap, and the time I spent building them allowed me to avoid
any actual music production.

That, of course, is the ultimate goal!

------------------------------------

Very funny, Darrell. Made my day!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] stevengale2@comcast.net is offline

On Mar 8, 3:31 pm, wrote:
Any recommendations on commercial monitor stands or DIY versions?
It's not something I've really given much thought to till now so if
you have any leads I can follow up that would be great thanks. I have
a pair of Yorkville YSM1P's that I'd like to get off a table and on to
some proper stands.

Insto-Speaker Stands:

Buy (1) 4x4 x 8' Fence Post at Home Depot (They'll cut it for you
free)
Tell the cutter guy at Depot to cut it into two pieces 36" or 42"
High (your choice of heights)
Discard the remaining 12" piece.

Cut (2) 14" squares from some 5/8 or 3/4" plywood (These are your
bases)
Slam (4) long nails into center area of the plywood square, now
you've got a base and a support post.

Cut (2) more pieces of plywood the exact shape of your speaker base.
Slam these puppies onto the top of your support post with 4 more
of those long honkin nails.

Paint the whole thing black.
Let it dry, then glue some very low pile black carpet on the top of
the stand... it makes the speaker happy.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

RDOGuy wrote:
On Mar 8, 11:15 pm, "darrelldklein" wrote:

I used 4" PVC pipe filled with concrete
(using super-fine audiophile grade sand) with plumbing flanges on the
ends mounted to wood bases.

I have found that audiophile-grade sand is becoming harder to obtain
since the Sakrete-QuikSet merger. Please tell us where you found it!

He's probably using some of that cheap Chinese sand :-)

Then I painted 'em a sonically neutral
shade of yellow.

But did you take the inductive reactance of Yellow into
consideration? Moonlight Mauve will work better in this application.

Sheesh! Only if they're point source monitors :-) The bigger the Tannoy,
the darker the color....

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 9, 12:15 am, "darrelldklein" wrote:

I used 4" PVC pipe filled with concrete
(using super-fine audiophile grade sand) with plumbing flanges on the
ends mounted to wood bases.

Some people have recommended lead shot as an alternative to sand. I
don't know where to get it (yeah, there's probably a web site
somewhere) but I know that I don't want to pay shipping for it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
ups.com...
Some people have recommended lead shot as an alternative to sand. I
don't know where to get it (yeah, there's probably a web site
somewhere) but I know that I don't want to pay shipping for it.

Go to a tyre center and collect the waisted balance weights. Not eaxactly
lead shot but you can fill the pipe with it.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On 9 Mar 2007 04:05:15 -0800, "Mike Rivers"
wrote:

On Mar 9, 12:15 am, "darrelldklein" wrote:

I used 4" PVC pipe filled with concrete
(using super-fine audiophile grade sand) with plumbing flanges on the
ends mounted to wood bases.

Some people have recommended lead shot as an alternative to sand. I
don't know where to get it (yeah, there's probably a web site
somewhere) but I know that I don't want to pay shipping for it.

Lead shot used to be used for fishing, but it is banned in the UK now
(don't know about elsewhere). As for "audiophile grade" sand, what you
actually need is the stuff sold for kiddies' play boxes - it is free
from cat **** and sterilized, so it won't become an unwelcome part of
the house furnishings during a hot summer.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On Mar 9, 12:15 am, "darrelldklein" wrote:

I used 4" PVC pipe filled with concrete
(using super-fine audiophile grade sand) with plumbing flanges on the
ends mounted to wood bases.

Some people have recommended lead shot as an alternative to sand. I
don't know where to get it (yeah, there's probably a web site
somewhere) but I know that I don't want to pay shipping for it.

Lead shot used to be used for fishing, but it is banned in the UK now
(don't know about elsewhere). As for "audiophile grade" sand, what you
actually need is the stuff sold for kiddies' play boxes - it is free
from cat **** and sterilized, so it won't become an unwelcome part of
the house furnishings during a hot summer.

Make sure that you get sand that has been properly dried. It's
important, trust me :-) Don't ask me how I know....
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On Mar 9, 12:15 am, "darrelldklein" wrote:

I used 4" PVC pipe filled with concrete
(using super-fine audiophile grade sand) with plumbing flanges on the
ends mounted to wood bases.

Some people have recommended lead shot as an alternative to sand. I
don't know where to get it (yeah, there's probably a web site
somewhere) but I know that I don't want to pay shipping for it.

Lead shot used to be used for fishing, but it is banned in the UK now
(don't know about elsewhere). As for "audiophile grade" sand, what you
actually need is the stuff sold for kiddies' play boxes - it is free
from cat **** and sterilized, so it won't become an unwelcome part of
the house furnishings during a hot summer.

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Amen to that Don!

Although this is a big source of debate in some audiophile circles, I
am proud to assert that my studio has been cat-**** free since '93!
This is one of the reasons I am suspicious of Monster cable. What part
of the Monster is in there?

My Ludwig kit has one kick drum with the resonent head mostly cut out.
The current studio cat ignores it, but his predecessor believed the
pillow inside was placed there for her snoozing pleasure. She is gone,
but I left her fur there in place as a keepsake.

Kinda like how Norman Bates kept his mom's corpse in the rocking chair
only a bit less extreme.

Anyway I agree with the essence of what you said: to be audiophile
grade (IMO) speaker stand sand should be devoid of all cat-produced
artifacts and by products.

For the poster who described 4 x 4 wood posts covered in carpet:
Studio Cat asked me to build him one like that.

Seriously. When I put anything anywhere in the studio, I have to think
not *if* the cat will get on top of it, but what will happen *when*
the cat gets on top of it. The studio is contiguous to the house, so
banning cat was never a serious option.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
martymart martymart is offline

[...]

Great stuff and sooo true!
Marty

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On Mar 9, 12:15 am, "darrelldklein" wrote:

I used 4" PVC pipe filled with concrete
(using super-fine audiophile grade sand) with plumbing flanges on the
ends mounted to wood bases.

Some people have recommended lead shot as an alternative to sand. I
don't know where to get it (yeah, there's probably a web site
somewhere) but I know that I don't want to pay shipping for it.

Gun shop on Bonifant street in Rockville, two doors down from the Mandalay.
Eat at the Mandalay, go get a couple bags of lead shot.

Depleted uranium is a little bit better than lead, and lead discs are
better than lead shot because it packs more densely. But shot is a lot
denser than sand.

The food at the Mandalay is some of the best I have ever eaten, and you
should eat there constantly. Every day if possible.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote:

Lead shot used to be used for fishing, but it is banned in the UK now
(don't know about elsewhere). As for "audiophile grade" sand, what you
actually need is the stuff sold for kiddies' play boxes - it is free
from cat **** and sterilized, so it won't become an unwelcome part of
the house furnishings during a hot summer.

When I was a kid, we had pumas in the sandbox.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RDOGuy RDOGuy is offline

On Mar 9, 6:57 am, "darrelldklein" wrote:

This is one of the reasons I am suspicious of Monster cable. What part
of the Monster is in there?

Hehehe. They could tell you, but then they'd stop making so much
money!

The current studio cat ignores it, but his predecessor believed the
pillow inside was placed there for her snoozing pleasure.

You say this as if the cat's reality was somehow different than... you
know... ACTUAL reality.

She is gone,
but I left her fur there in place as a keepsake.

We people leave our accomplishments toward the benefit of the human
race - and our children - as legacies. But these are just transient.
Cat fur lasts forever.

Kinda like how Norman Bates kept his mom's corpse in the rocking chair
only a bit less extreme.

I don't know. For a number of years, my ex collected cat hair from
the furniture and kept it in a baggie. Said she was going to have it
made into yarn so she could knit a sweater. Wasn't the reason I
divorced her... but perhaps it should have been.

Seriously. When I put anything anywhere in the studio, I have to think
not *if* the cat will get on top of it, but what will happen *when*
the cat gets on top of it.

Hey... if the cat learned to mix, maybe (s)he could catch up on your
work while you're building those new carpet-covered monitor stands!
Tried to teach mine, but they kept stealing the trackballs out of the
mice to play with them... and then they'd lose the trackballs under
the refrigerator. So I got optical mice... but they ate those.

Well... I'm off to Home Depot for some cinder blocks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86 Agent 86 is offline

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:00:28 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

When I was a kid, we had pumas in the sandbox.

You're younger than I thought you were. We had PF Flyers. g

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis Jay Kadis is offline

In article ,
Agent 86 wrote:

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:00:28 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

When I was a kid, we had pumas in the sandbox.

You're younger than I thought you were. We had PF Flyers. g

I want to know whose idea sandboxes were. Obviously not a cat owner.

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x ---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
Agent 86 wrote:

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:00:28 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

When I was a kid, we had pumas in the sandbox.

You're younger than I thought you were. We had PF Flyers. g

And Red Ball Jets.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

sand bags in monitor stands [email protected] Pro Audio 29 August 10th 06 03:51 PM
Monitor stands David Grant Pro Audio 5 May 21st 05 02:16 PM
quik-lok monitor stands David Grant Pro Audio 0 May 15th 05 10:49 PM
Monitor stands Sigurd Stenersen Pro Audio 8 December 11th 04 02:02 AM
Studio Monitor Stands Buster Mudd Pro Audio 2 November 16th 03 03:35 PM