Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Ruys Bill Ruys is offline

Default Somewhat interesting video diary of Behringer factory visit

"Recently AudioTechnology's Chris Holder visited Behringer's Chinese factory
in Zhong-Shan. View his video diary here."

http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/behringer.html

Interesting. The workers are all young, and live in "Behringer City" dorms.
Chris makes the valid point that Behringer gear has no "soul". I'd have to
agree. It makes me wish I could afford to buy gear made by people who care
about what they're making.

I thought some of you here might be interested to see this.

Bill.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau Romeo Rondeau is offline

Bill Ruys wrote:
"Recently AudioTechnology's Chris Holder visited Behringer's Chinese factory
in Zhong-Shan. View his video diary here."

http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/behringer.html

Interesting. The workers are all young, and live in "Behringer City" dorms.
Chris makes the valid point that Behringer gear has no "soul". I'd have to
agree. It makes me wish I could afford to buy gear made by people who care
about what they're making.

I thought some of you here might be interested to see this.

Bill.

Hehehe :_) You're right, gear made in the USA by Mexican immigrants has
WAY more soul :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Bill Ruys wrote:

Interesting. The workers are all young, and live in "Behringer City" dorms.
Chris makes the valid point that Behringer gear has no "soul". I'd have to
agree. It makes me wish I could afford to buy gear made by people who care
about what they're making.

Don't blame Behringer for this. The idea originated with Henry Ford
who built the whole "factory town" concept up.

I do agree that mass production produces gear without soul, because it
produces gear that is intended to be everything to everybody in order to
increase the total market as much as possible and therefore bring the per
unit cost down as much as possible. But that's life.

If you don't like mass-produced gear, and you want gear that does exactly
what you want it to do and has character, learn to build your own stuff.
Start with cables and switch panels, and build up from there. It makes
the world a better place.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Bill Ruys wrote:

Interesting. The workers are all young, and live in
"Behringer City" dorms.

Beats the ^%$#!! out of living in a mud and straw hut.

Chris makes the valid point that Behringer gear has no
"soul".

I thought that the most important sources of soul in music are the talents
and industry of the musicians and the production people.

I'd have to
agree. It makes me wish I could afford to buy gear
made by people who care about what they're making.

More important to me is gear designed by people who know what they are
doing.

When people care about what they are doing, we call that passion.

When people care about the quality of the value they add, we call that
professionalism.

Don't blame Behringer for this. The idea originated
with Henry Ford who built the whole "factory town" concept up.

Said factory towns are not that far from where I sit, AKA Dearborn and
Inkster.

I do agree that mass production produces gear without
soul, because it produces gear that is intended to be
everything to everybody in order to increase the total
market as much as possible and therefore bring the per
unit cost down as much as possible. But that's life.

That's what happens when the core technology advances to the point where
products that are essentially free of flaws can be made by a large number of
different factories for economcal prices.

I think you're being too philosophical about this. The
management simply defined a set of design
parameters/goals that we don't sympathize with.

Speak for yourself, Bob. I definitely sympathize with gear that does what it
is supposed to.

If Behringher used good opamps, good A/D's, and good
switches, would we be having this discussion? I doubt it.

If you had to back that up with your ears Bob, you'd no doubt be found to be
wearing the Emperor's new clothes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bill Ruys wrote:

[...]

Probably, because they would _still_ be designing for the widest possible
audience rather than for any one application.

A lot of what you get with higher end equipment is not just better component
quality, but equipment that is designed to do one thing well rather than
to do everything for everybody.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
No Name

Bill Ruys wrote:

[...]

--scott

Either today or tomorrow I'll be taking delivery of my first piece of
Behringer gear, a pair of C-2 microphones. They will cost me $50 for the
'matched' pair. I've heard suggestions that this mike is equivalent to some
ungodly expensive Neumann mike. Frankly, if it sounds good enough that
nobody can tell that it's an inferior mike by listening to the results, I'll
be deliriously happy.

Norm Strong

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote...
Bill Ruys wrote:

[...]

If you'd ever tried a DEQ2496 you might not even talk to youself like
that.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default somewhat interesting cat****

Soundhaspriority wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote...
Soundhaspriority wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote...
Bill Ruys wrote:

[...]

I'm prejudiced, Hank. I don't need to eat every piece of cat**** to find out
it's not chocolate

The point is that it is not cat**** AT ALL, but a fine little piece of
kit. Maybe the best EQ for the money, period.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

The Studio Projects C-4 is a very nice mike.

Fine, but I'm not off-lading the Schoeps for 'em.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley Ben Bradley is offline

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 14:17:54 -0500, "Soundhaspriority"
wrote:

Norm, from what I've seen, I would be careful. Some mikes use good caps,
and some use bad caps. It can vary in the line. For example, my MXL603s had
ceramic caps, which are notoriously bad for sound.

Actually that's quite appropriate in a weird way - ceramics are
very "microphonic."

I replaced them with film
caps. I opened my MXL2003 mikes, expecting to find the same, but found good
components instead, good Wima film caps.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley Ben Bradley is offline

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:00:49 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Bill Ruys wrote:

(Attributions kept but quoting may be off. To know for sure who
said what, please see original posts)

I'd have to
agree. It makes me wish I could afford to buy gear
made by people who care about what they're making.

More important to me is gear designed by people who know what they are
doing.

I understand from previous Behringer-bashi^W discussions that
Behringer has indeed manufactured such gear, but it was designed by

If Behringher used good opamps, good A/D's, and good
switches, would we be having this discussion? I doubt it.

Much electronics design is knowing how to connect things, not just
knowing which pin goes where, but where to have a wide trace for
low-impedance power and ground connections, how to route signals so
they are better shielded from interference or create less
interference. Power supply design and grounding scheme are also
critical for lowest hum.
Putting in better components will usually inprove a piece of gear,
but the electromechanical design that goes around the parts is also
critically important for best performance.

If you had to back that up with your ears Bob, you'd no doubt be found to be
wearing the Emperor's new clothes.

"Behringer: The Emperor's New Gear."

VISIT MY SITE jysttinp Pro Audio 0 July 27th 06 12:27 PM
Nashville visit: where to go? Ron Capik Pro Audio 21 August 22nd 05 04:52 PM
Nashville visit T Maki Pro Audio 0 August 16th 05 05:11 PM
Video added to factory radio Thestereoshop2 Car Audio 4 November 21st 03 05:34 AM
Interesting places to visit in Nashville? John Pro Audio 80 October 14th 03 01:11 PM