Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Plug-type X transmitter for AKG C535?

Is there an end-plug type of transmitter that would allow an AKG C535 to
work with Sennheiser's 300 and 500 series receivers?

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Mar 7, 1:13 pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
Is there an end-plug type of transmitter that would allow an AKG C535 to
work with Sennheiser's 300 and 500 series receivers?

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Sennheiser makes both an SKP-100 G2 and an SKP-500 G2. Would either of
those work for you?

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

rsmith wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Is there an end-plug type of transmitter that would allow an AKG C535 to
work with Sennheiser's 300 and 500 series receivers?

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Sennheiser makes both an SKP-100 G2 and an SKP-500 G2. Would either of
those work for you?

Looks like the SKP-500 would work; can't find info at the Sennheiser
site for the SKP-100 standalone. They only show it as bundled with
various systems. I'll poke around a little more.

It's for Patrick Ball, for whom I did SR a couple of weeks ago. He has a
couple of Sennheiser wireless rigs, but he dislikes the sound of the mic
bundled with one of them and uses a wired C535 instead. He was under the
impression that in order to use the C535 wirelessly he'd have to buy
into a very expensive AKG wireless rig, but the Sennheiser specs show
that the SKP-500 ought to work fine with the C535.

Thanks, Bob.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

hank alrich wrote:
Is there an end-plug type of transmitter that would allow an AKG C535 to
work with Sennheiser's 300 and 500 series receivers?

Yes. Sennheiser makes a butt-plug transmitter that works fine. Also
Lectrosonics makes a universal transmitter that can be set up to talk
to the Sennheisers; it supports a bunch of different companding modes
and can interoperate with many different systems. It's more money,
though.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 8, 1:40 am, "Geoff" wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 7, 1:13 pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
Is there an end-plug type of transmitter that would allow an AKG
C535 to work with Sennheiser's 300 and 500 series receivers?

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Sennheiser makes both an SKP-100 G2 and an SKP-500 G2. Would either of
those work for you?

Do either supply phantom ? Cos the 535 needs it ( =12V I think).

geoff

The SKP-500 G2 does supply switchable 48V phantom power. For other
specs see:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/SKP_500_GB.pdf/$File/SKP_500_GB.pdf

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

The SKP-500 G2 does supply switchable 48V phantom power. For other
specs see:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/SKP_500_GB.pdf/$File/SKP_500_GB.pdf

It is REALLY IS real 48V phantom. Note that the battery life is reduced
when you have the phantom turned on, though.

Whenever manufacturers tell me they only provide substandard phantom voltages
because it's too difficult to do it correctly on a product with low power
requirements, I always bring up the Sennheiser butt plug.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
martymart martymart is offline

It is REALLY IS real 48V phantom. Note that the battery life is reduced
when you have the phantom turned on, though.

Significantly reduced! A customer of mine opted to have a cable
installed instead of changing batteries daily.
Marty

Posted to rec.audio.pro

martymart wrote:

It is REALLY IS real 48V phantom. Note that the battery life is reduced
when you have the phantom turned on, though.

Significantly reduced! A customer of mine opted to have a cable
installed instead of changing batteries daily.

The Ultralife lithiums help a lot.

But to be honest, you can't beat a cable for reliability and sound
quality. And to some extent it's more convenient, too, in that it's
harder to lose...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"martymart" wrote in
ups.com:

It is REALLY IS real 48V phantom. Note that the battery life is reduced
when you have the phantom turned on, though.

Significantly reduced! A customer of mine opted to have a cable
installed instead of changing batteries daily.
Marty

You would expect to change batteries in a wireless transmitter daily
regardless of phantom draw. What's the big deal?

So far my 500 mah rechargeable 9V's are doing well. Max duty so far was 6
hours and they had some reserve left. I'm running them in Lectrosonics 400
series butt plug transmitters on Schoeps and DPA mics. A battery will
charge in considerably less time that it takes to drain, so one backup per
transmitter is adequate.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
martymart martymart is offline

You would expect to change batteries in a wireless transmitter daily
regardless of phantom draw. What's the big deal?

So far my 500 mah rechargeable 9V's are doing well. Max duty so far was 6
hours and they had some reserve left. I'm running them in Lectrosonics 400
series butt plug transmitters on Schoeps and DPA mics. A battery will
charge in considerably less time that it takes to drain, so one backup per
transmitter is adequate.

My customer is a church with no tech staff. Even with daily services,
they could have gone 2-3 days per battery if it did not have to supply
phantom. Daily battery replacement was a pain to them, not to mention
more expensive then expected.

The real problem is total and sudden death of the xmtr. The xmtr
would die in the middle of a service when the battery meter indicated
useful life when the service started. Converting to 48V from a pair
of AA bats chews them up fast.
Marty

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

martymart wrote:
You would expect to change batteries in a wireless transmitter daily
regardless of phantom draw. What's the big deal?

So far my 500 mah rechargeable 9V's are doing well. Max duty so far
was 6 hours and they had some reserve left. I'm running them in
Lectrosonics 400 series butt plug transmitters on Schoeps and DPA
mics. A battery will charge in considerably less time that it takes
to drain, so one backup per transmitter is adequate.

My customer is a church with no tech staff. Even with daily services,
they could have gone 2-3 days per battery if it did not have to supply
phantom. Daily battery replacement was a pain to them, not to mention
more expensive then expected.

They could call up divine intervention.

The real problem is total and sudden death of the xmtr. The xmtr
would die in the middle of a service when the battery meter indicated
useful life when the service started. Converting to 48V from a pair
of AA bats chews them up fast.
Marty

In my experience churches are the worst for random people popping random
batteries in and out, seldom having a pair of batteries of similar vintage
or even type (" I just put in what was rolling around the bottom of the
cupboard").

A strict regime of replacing with known-new batteries and disposing of (or
recharging) old is called for.

geoff.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
martymart martymart is offline

They could call up divine intervention.

Do have the number? And, would that be divine 48V phantom

In my experience churches are the worst for random people popping random
batteries in and out, seldom having a pair of batteries of similar vintage
or even type (" I just put in what was rolling around the bottom of the
cupboard").

A strict regime of replacing with known-new batteries and disposing of (or
recharging) old is called for.

Absolutely. That's why they decided to run a wire instead!
Marty

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

martymart wrote:
They could call up divine intervention.

Do have the number? And, would that be divine 48V phantom

In my experience churches are the worst for random people popping
random batteries in and out, seldom having a pair of batteries of
similar vintage or even type (" I just put in what was rolling
around the bottom of the cupboard").

A strict regime of replacing with known-new batteries and disposing
of (or recharging) old is called for.

Absolutely. That's why they decided to run a wire instead!

I've found my churchy clients somewhat 'unwordly' when it comes to coping
with the constraints of physical connections. With broken cables, mics, and
mixer sockets as testament to the whole truth of my personal experience...

geoff