Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default when you can't match the center channel?

I have two built in speakers (NHT's) in my living room that are about
12ft off the floor, and offset to the left. And, no way wife is
letting me put in new ones - they were here when we moved in. We have
a more serious system in the game room so this effort is really to be
able to extend movie watching downstairs, beyond 'kid war zone'
upstairs. So, components must be in the background, hence nothing new
but center.

My current setup us:
- 42" DLP TV at right of center of room (fireplace in center of room)
- Denon 1906 AV receiver
- NHT built-ins, too high and centered on fireplace not TV, but are
fairly wide (right one is beyond TV. These are in walls so have fairly
rich/full sounding base.

I want to add a center which I will place on shelve above TV. I
realize sound stage is hopeless, as is matching tone since the L/R vs
center are so far off-axis it would be impossible to really match
tones. Nonetheless, since so much audio comes from the center, and I
can hopefully achieve better sound then my two L/R way up high, I want
to add a nice center. Preferrably around $500 US or less.

Since my TV is offset to the right, and couch is fairly wide, I need
good dispersion from the center spkr. I was considing:

1) sticking with NHT so as to have a slight chance of at least a
similar tone. Choices would be SC-2, M6, Two C, Three C. The newer
"C" speakers aren't out yet but the literature speaks of broad
dispesion being a key attribute.

2) B&W LRC600 - different brand but have other B&W's so I'm comfortable
with brand.

Any advice on mixing brands (since matching is probably hopeless) and
experiencewith any off these models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan
Dallas, TX