Ceek

Default ageing valves

I have an an audio research VT100, and suspect the valves are starting
to go. The signs are very subtle though, and I don't want to spend
loads of cash repacing valves that are OK if the problems are elsewhere
in the system. The main symptom I am noticing is an increase in warmth,
and bloom in the mid bass. Does this effect sound familiar to anyone in
relation to ageing valves?

Mike Gilmour

"Ceek" wrote in message
I have an an audio research VT100, and suspect the valves are starting
to go. The signs are very subtle though, and I don't want to spend
loads of cash repacing valves that are OK if the problems are elsewhere
in the system. The main symptom I am noticing is an increase in warmth,
and bloom in the mid bass. Does this effect sound familiar to anyone in
relation to ageing valves?

Your symptoms do appear to be that of ageing valves. Can you estimate the
run hours of the output valves? Be aware that the VT100 uses two matched
pairs per channel if replacing individual valves. Personally I prefer the
renew the output valves all in one go, the extra cost to me is worth the
peace of mind. While you're doing that it may be well worth having the 4 x
6922 tested.

Regards,

Mike

Ceek

Thanks Mike, I' unsure of the age if the valves, as I bought the amp
second hand, but I'm guessing around 4-5 years. I do intend to replace
both the output valves and the 6922's though.

Anyone know what happened to Sound Valves amp manufacturer ? Robert Meushaw Vacuum Tubes 2 October 16th 14 05:31 PM
Ageing valves Ceek Vacuum Tubes 10 October 1st 05 02:45 AM
Valves, valves and more valves Doktor Kernith Audio Opinions 4 September 24th 04 04:41 PM
Note for Scott (and anyone else interested in valves) LONG! Clyde Slick Audio Opinions 8 September 2nd 04 12:36 AM
Silica Valves Mike Diack Vacuum Tubes 11 October 3rd 03 04:39 PM