randy

Default Gibbs Phenomenon_pinerton or others?

I will start out by saying this is way over my head-but I have been
told this is a signifcant problem that digital has that analog
doesn't-and is audible-

http://mwt.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/worl...ier/node4.php3

Comment.

jwvm

The Gibbs phenomenon is simply what happens when higher frequency
components are removed from a Fourier reconstruction of a square wave.
The resulting waveform is bandwidth limited and is analogous to
brick-wall filtering. Providing that the removed components are beyond
the frequency response of humans, this would not appear to be a
signicant source of sound degradation nor would it be audible.

randy wrote:
I will start out by saying this is way over my head-but I have been
told this is a signifcant problem that digital has that analog
doesn't-and is audible-

http://mwt.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/worl...ier/node4.php3

Comment.

Jenn

In article , "jwvm"
wrote:

The Gibbs phenomenon is simply what happens when higher frequency
components are removed from a Fourier reconstruction of a square wave....

I thought it was when an otherwise fine vocal group decided to sing in
falsetto and become disco damaged.

Sorry....
Ban

randy wrote:
I will start out by saying this is way over my head-but I have been
told this is a signifcant problem that digital has that analog
doesn't-and is audible-

http://mwt.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/worl...ier/node4.php3

Comment.

In audio there is *no* squarewave to be digitized, so this problem doesn't
occurr. The maximal (theoretical) slew rate would be happening with a 20kHz
signal at full output power and would already blow your tweeters, so do not
try to create this signal. In a music feed the voltage will be down at least
12dB, which corresponds to max. power/16.
Whoever told you this is technically as uninformed as you are. But this
seems to be one of the prerequisites of high-end "gurus".

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

"I will start out by saying this is way over my head-but I have been told
this is a signifcant problem that digital has that analog doesn't-and is
audible-"

It is the "audible" that poses the problem. As we have discussed here
before, a digital recording of an lp was made and people were unable to
distinguish between them using listening alone. What ever theoretical
suggestion that something is audible must be established in practice. In
doing so we can establish what are the thresholds for various artifacts in
a signal, including this one.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 27 Sep 2005 02:11:59 GMT, "randy" wrote:

I will start out by saying this is way over my head-but I have been
told this is a signifcant problem that digital has that analog
doesn't-and is audible-

http://mwt.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/worl...ier/node4.php3

Comment.

You have been told this by people with an agenda, who are trying to
baffle you with science. The Gibbs phenomenon is simply what happens
to a discontinuous function, such as a square wave, when you remove
the higher frequency components, and this applies just as much to
analogue as to digital. In any properly implemented digital sampling
system, the *input* signal is band-limited to less than half the
sampling rate, so that no aliasing takes place, and the output signal
is a virtually perfect representation of that band-limited input
signal. Analogue systems also have bandwidth limits, and a 5kHz
squarewave fed through the ubiquitous 24/96 digital system will look
much 'squarer' than the same signal fed through a standard 15ips
studio analogue recorder.

Note that a 20kHz square wave will come out of *both* machines as a
sine wave - but it will be a *clean* sine wave out of the digital
system.

Billy Shears

"jwvm" wrote:

The Gibbs phenomenon is simply what happens when higher frequency
components are removed from a Fourier reconstruction of a square wave.
The resulting waveform is bandwidth limited and is analogous to
brick-wall filtering. Providing that the removed components are beyond
the frequency response of humans, this would not appear to be a
signicant source of sound degradation nor would it be audible.

Not exactly. The Gibbs phenomenon is what happens to the partial
sums of the Fourier series derived from a function with a jump
discontinuity (such as a square wave). All partial sums exhibit
the "overshoot", regardless of bandwidth.

randy

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

I kind of wondered whether them trying to "baffle" me with science
wasn't the case.

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 27 Sep 2005 02:11:59 GMT, "randy" wrote:

I will start out by saying this is way over my head-but I have been
told this is a signifcant problem that digital has that analog
doesn't-and is audible-

http://mwt.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/worl...ier/node4.php3

Comment.

You have been told this by people with an agenda, who are trying to
baffle you with science.

Well, if those people hear digital as a degraded signal, and the person
they are explaining it to hears digital as a degraded signal, then the
explanation is secondary to their experience. As long as no one is
coerced into disbelieving their own ears, no harm done.

On the other hand, bringing the focus over and over to the technical
issues can easily fool people into thinking that what they hear is
supposed to explained by the specs.

Mike

Jenn wrote:
In article , "jwvm"
wrote:

The Gibbs phenomenon is simply what happens when higher frequency
components are removed from a Fourier reconstruction of a square wave....

I thought it was when an otherwise fine vocal group decided to sing in
falsetto and become disco damaged.

Sorry....

LOL! thanks for bringing some humor into this ultra-serious,
life-or-death discussion we're having here...

Mike

Stewart Pinkerton

On 29 Sep 2005 01:59:10 GMT, Billy Shears wrote:

In article ,
"jwvm" wrote:

The Gibbs phenomenon is simply what happens when higher frequency
components are removed from a Fourier reconstruction of a square wave.
The resulting waveform is bandwidth limited and is analogous to
brick-wall filtering. Providing that the removed components are beyond
the frequency response of humans, this would not appear to be a
signicant source of sound degradation nor would it be audible.

Not exactly. The Gibbs phenomenon is what happens to the partial
sums of the Fourier series derived from a function with a jump
discontinuity (such as a square wave). All partial sums exhibit
the "overshoot", regardless of bandwidth.

However, the important thing is that such a discontinuous signal
*never* reaches the A/D conversion point of a properly implemented
digital audio system, hence the whole thing is a red herring from an
audio point of view.

vinylbigot

I would be interested to hear of that study. I have conducted similar blind
A/B tests in my studio and without fail every listener can pick out the
vinyl--based on the fact that it sounds much better. I used 96KHz 24bit
sampling and playback directly through a high quality sampler--not via CD.

Another interesting phenomena is that I've recorded a vinyl cut at both
44KHz and 88KHz (same system-24bit) and played them back to listeners.
Everyone can hear the difference. But when I upsample the 44KHz to 88KHz
there is a disagreement between sophisticated listeners and experienced
muscians. The "listeners" like the upsampled sound better than native 88KHz
sound, while musicians agree that the upsampled sound sounds better than
44KHz, but also state that it sounds wrong somehow!

Another question for the digital experts--if all the music information is in
44KHz CD's, why is do muscians prefer the SACD for listening?

wrote in message ...
"I will start out by saying this is way over my head-but I have been told
this is a signifcant problem that digital has that analog doesn't-and is
audible-"

It is the "audible" that poses the problem. As we have discussed here
before, a digital recording of an lp was made and people were unable to
distinguish between them using listening alone. What ever theoretical
suggestion that something is audible must be established in practice. In
doing so we can establish what are the thresholds for various artifacts in
a signal, including this one.

Steven Sullivan

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 27 Sep 2005 02:11:59 GMT, "randy" wrote:

I will start out by saying this is way over my head-but I have been
told this is a signifcant problem that digital has that analog
doesn't-and is audible-

http://mwt.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/worl...ier/node4.php3

Comment.

You have been told this by people with an agenda, who are trying to
baffle you with science.

Well, if those people hear digital as a degraded signal, and the person
they are explaining it to hears digital as a degraded signal, then the
explanation is secondary to their experience. As long as no one is
coerced into disbelieving their own ears, no harm done.

Harm is done to the truth and to reason if one then claims that what
was heard *must* be due to a difference in the signal.

--

-S

Steven Sullivan

vinylbigot wrote:
I would be interested to hear of that study. I have conducted similar blind
A/B tests in my studio and without fail every listener can pick out the
vinyl--based on the fact that it sounds much better. I used 96KHz 24bit
sampling and playback directly through a high quality sampler--not via CD.

Interesting. Please describe the setup in some more detail.
Espcially as you call yourself 'vinylbigot', one would want to know about
double-blinding, randomization procedures, level-matching,time-synching,
and number of successes/trials.

Another interesting phenomena is that I've recorded a vinyl cut at both
44KHz and 88KHz (same system-24bit) and played them back to listeners.
Everyone can hear the difference. But when I upsample the 44KHz to 88KHz
there is a disagreement between sophisticated listeners and experienced
muscians. The "listeners" like the upsampled sound better than native 88KHz
sound, while musicians agree that the upsampled sound sounds better than
44KHz, but also state that it sounds wrong somehow!

Another question for the digital experts--if all the music information is in
44KHz CD's, why is do muscians prefer the SACD for listening?

Assuming you know for sure that the SACD and CD have been mastered identically
except for the final format, do they prefere it when they know it's
SACD, or do they prefer it when they're presented as above?

It's curious that the actual developers of DSD and DVD-A seem never to have
published (or perhaps never even conducted) such trials.

--

-S

Stewart Pinkerton

On 30 Sep 2005 02:50:20 GMT, "vinylbigot"
wrote:

I would be interested to hear of that study. I have conducted similar blind
A/B tests in my studio and without fail every listener can pick out the
vinyl--based on the fact that it sounds much better. I used 96KHz 24bit
sampling and playback directly through a high quality sampler--not via CD.

Not to trivialise anything, but I suggest that you are very clearly
doing it wrong. The late, great, Gabe Weiner of PGM records used to do
this all the time, and not one person could ever hear the insertion of
an A/D-D/A chain into the signal - and that was at 16/44, not your
24/96. BTW, his studio main monitors were Wilson Grand SLAMMS, so we
are not talking about some 'garage studio' here.

Another interesting phenomena is that I've recorded a vinyl cut at both
44KHz and 88KHz (same system-24bit) and played them back to listeners.
Everyone can hear the difference.

Try it without telling them which is which.

But when I upsample the 44KHz to 88KHz
there is a disagreement between sophisticated listeners and experienced
muscians. The "listeners" like the upsampled sound better than native 88KHz
sound,

Now y'see, that kinda *proves* that you're doing it wrong!

while musicians agree that the upsampled sound sounds better than
44KHz, but also state that it sounds wrong somehow!

Another question for the digital experts--if all the music information is in
44KHz CD's, why is do muscians prefer the SACD for listening?

They don't. That statement is as true as yours, depending on the
musicians you pick.

wrote in message ...
"I will start out by saying this is way over my head-but I have been told
this is a signifcant problem that digital has that analog doesn't-and is
audible-"

It is the "audible" that poses the problem. As we have discussed here
before, a digital recording of an lp was made and people were unable to
distinguish between them using listening alone. What ever theoretical
suggestion that something is audible must be established in practice. In
doing so we can establish what are the thresholds for various artifacts in
a signal, including this one.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 30 Sep 2005 02:42:43 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 27 Sep 2005 02:11:59 GMT, "randy" wrote:

I will start out by saying this is way over my head-but I have been
told this is a signifcant problem that digital has that analog
doesn't-and is audible-

http://mwt.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/worl...ier/node4.php3

Comment.

You have been told this by people with an agenda, who are trying to
baffle you with science.

Well, if those people hear digital as a degraded signal, and the person
they are explaining it to hears digital as a degraded signal, then the
explanation is secondary to their experience. As long as no one is
coerced into disbelieving their own ears, no harm done.

On the other hand, bringing the focus over and over to the technical
issues can easily fool people into thinking that what they hear is
supposed to explained by the specs.

And the sort of technical nonsense being spouted about the Gibbs
phenomenon can fool people into *thinking* that digital is a degraded
signal. Expectation bias, remember?

"Another question for the digital experts--if all the music information is
in 44KHz CD's, why is do muscians prefer the SACD for listening?"

Because "muscians" are no different in the way the perception artifacts
are
produced which are not contained in the signal, if in fact this assumption
about their listening habits is correct. They are as vulnerable to all
the social contexts by which anyone comes to form their opinions, which
might be quite different if testing them by listening alone to establish
artifacts from signal.

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

Any technical comment made in the context of "what you should hear" can
create expectation bias. Works just the same with technical nonsense
and technical sense.

Mike