Default Price Drop on Behringer Mixer

Anybody know why Behringer dropped the price of it's digital mixer
(DD3216?) from $999. to about $650? (The one that's a knock-off of the
Yamaha 01V).

This USUALLY means that a successor model is on the way.

Joe Kesselman

That's a really good deal for someone who wants to find out what a
digital mixer is all about.

Now if only they had a direct-to-Firewire-or-USB2 I/O card for DAW
integration... (I sent them a wishlist note; reaction was something like
"interesting idea but don't hold your breath.")

singproinc

Graham

Sorry for getting back to this link so late. My source was a regional
Behringer wholesale rep; not associated with Behringer, but with a
wholesaler who then sells to dealers like me. My conversation with him
was on March 2 of this year. He intimated there was a new Behringer
digital console in the works that would appear in the summer.

That said, it seems to be contradicted by Jim Savery below, who is a
trustworthy guy from all accounts.

The people I know who have used the DDX3216 have been pleased with it.
They also were educated about the features of the board before they
bought it, and had reasonable expectations about its features and use.

Arny Krueger

Joe Kesselman wrote:
That's a really good deal for someone who wants to find

out what a
digital mixer is all about.

Now if only they had a direct-to-Firewire-or-USB2 I/O card

for DAW
integration... (I sent them a wishlist note; reaction was

something
like "interesting idea but don't hold your breath.")

Behringer do have an ADAT-to-USB2 interface you can hook to
an ADT1616 in a DD3216.

T Maki

Mike Rivers wrote:

So, is there a place where one can be had for $650?
I might be interested in a Behringer for really cheap.

$650 would be quite a good price. I'm tempted to buy another
one for that kind of money. I paid $900-ish for mine, and
then added two ADAT cards and two AES/EBU cards. Makes it a
little more spendy, but quite versatile. I also downloaded
the software patch for surround processing.

To interject an operating note or two, I finished up a
Shakespeare festival in May ("R&J" and "Shrew", 1 week of
rehearsals, 6 shows on two weekends) and used the 3216. We
used 17 wireless mics, an announcement mic and two channels
of SFX/music. Outdoors, 4000-seat amphitheatre. I could have
used the Crest XR20, but the 3216 has scene memory, FX/DSP
on each channel and no need for outboard processing racks.
All the inputs were brought in optically through the ADAT
cards and ADA8000 preamps.

Without going into any great detail, it all worked
flawlessly, and in the environment, sounded terrific.

The scene memory would have worked like a charm, as I
programmed each character into each scene with the necessary
EQ, etc. Trouble was, the cue sheets were wrong, and the
person calling the cues didn't call them correctly, so
simply stepping to the next cue was impossible. BUT, being
to recall each show's presets was a major time-saver. Press
a button, watch the various settings react instantly.

So, yeah, for $650, I'd say it's worth experimenting with.

TM