studiorat

Default Mic's on the Piano.

Has anybody noticed how a Piano always sounds better when you are not
recording it. )
The thing is sitting in the studio and a vocalist or acoustic guitarist
stops to tinkle the keys and it always seems to sound better than when
you use all your experience, skill and judgement to try make it sound
good.
This seems to apply to all studios too...

studiorat

Well duuuh!!!
I think they just sound nice on their own when you don't have to make
them sit in a track or anything, and the mic. thats picking it up is
usually in a nice sounding part of the room, after all I was recording
a different acoustic instrument...
Simplicity rules.

GKB

Sure i agree , without judgment about how it " should " sound and if it's
good enough
or the good & bad qualities [ it's an easy warm up for dealing with people
hah ! ]

But , yeah no pressure , maybe no direction either so the mere listening is
easy to do

regards Greg

"studiorat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anybody noticed how a Piano always sounds better when you are not
recording it. )
The thing is sitting in the studio and a vocalist or acoustic guitarist
stops to tinkle the keys and it always seems to sound better than when
you use all your experience, skill and judgement to try make it sound
good.
This seems to apply to all studios too...

studiorat

Chel van Gennip wrote:

For a piano you need distance, if you need distance the room gets more
important. If you are in a room the human ear/brain compensates a lot for
room acoustics, your mic's won't.

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com

If you are listening to a mic that got more of the room sound in it do
you then compensate for those acoustics? Know what I mean?

studiorat

If you are listening to a mic that got more of the room sound in it do
you then compensate for those acoustics? Know what I mean?

No. A microphone just picks a single signal. The human ear/brains are
capable to distinguish a lot more directional information, especially if
the head is moving.

I know, but do you not think you may compensate by thinking that's the
sound of the piano in that specific environment? I'm talking about the
sound that is coming from the monitors...