Carey Carlan

Default Old Dynamics

Point 1: The Atlanta Braves games are now broadcast on WKLS, classic rock,
in Atlanta. I hadn't listened to the radio in some time, but the radio is
often left on that channel. The compression of songs I know is almost
physically painful.

Point 2: The current RAP conflagration over vinyl vs CD. encouraged me to
pull out some of my old records and listen again. I'm loving the lack of
compression.

The one that stood out so far was Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing". The
intro grows irresitably into the verse with real drum punch, and it doesn't
let up for the rest of the song.

What is your favorite "big dynamics" song? The one that suffers the most
from Orban-ization?
Chris Hornbeck

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:50:54 GMT, Carey Carlan
wrote:

What is your favorite "big dynamics" song? The one that suffers the most
from Orban-ization?

Not at all sure that I'd want to blame it on Bob, but the
definitive-for-me album of the 1990's, _Exile in Guyville_,
is almost entirely lost in the CD transfer. I'm not
knowledgable enough to say whether the loss is one of
dynamics per se, but it's large.

Caveat #1: Rabid fan; not reliable.

Caveat #2: I prefer the _Girlysounds_ versions of most
overlapping songs. Versions available to me were originally
made on four track cassette, then duped to death. Again,
observer objectivity is questionable.

This is for original factory vinyl and CD, for whatever
tiny value the comment may have.

Chris Hornbeck
"Foster Dulles went inside to order Princess Beatrice
a Molotov cocktail. When it was served, she drank it down
in one gulp" -JLG _Sympathy for the Devil_ 1969
Bob Cain

Carey Carlan wrote:

What is your favorite "big dynamics" song? The one that suffers the most
from Orban-ization?

Flim and the BB's "Tricycle" CD. Crica 1984 (very
approximately.)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Carey Carlan

Chris Hornbeck wrote in
:

Not at all sure that I'd want to blame it on Bob, but the
definitive-for-me album of the 1990's, _Exile in Guyville_,
is almost entirely lost in the CD transfer. I'm not
knowledgable enough to say whether the loss is one of
dynamics per se, but it's large.

No, not LP to CD loss. I mean storage medium to broadcast.

What song do you listen to at home uncompressed that dies over the air?

I've got another one. Just listened to ZZ Top's "Legs". What a beat!
Chris Hornbeck

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 03:04:22 GMT, Carey Carlan
wrote:

No, not LP to CD loss. I mean storage medium to broadcast.

What song do you listen to at home uncompressed that dies over the air?

Oh, sorry. I don't listen to *any* popular music over the air. No
stations here; but we do have two NPR stations, one talk, one
music. Almost seems like civilization, and better than, for example,
the People's Republic of Portland, my otherwise ideal burg.

Chris Hornbeck
"Foster Dulles went inside to order Princess Beatrice
a Molotov cocktail. When it was served, she drank it down
in one gulp" -JLG _Sympathy for the Devil_ 1969

Fletch

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
snipped to make comment on the following:
"Foster Dulles went inside to order Princess Beatrice
a Molotov cocktail. When it was served, she drank it down
in one gulp" -JLG _Sympathy for the Devil_ 1969

If you're referring to the film that shows the recording of the song "Sympathy for the Devil" by the
Rolling Stones, it was actually called "Symphony for the Devil", I believe. Goddeau was quite out
there, but the education one gets about the recording process as depicted in the film is priceless!
And so is the feature with Sir George Martin talking about how they recorded Sgt. Pepper's.

--fletch
Fletch

Fletch wrote:

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
snipped to make comment on the following:

"Foster Dulles went inside to order Princess Beatrice
a Molotov cocktail. When it was served, she drank it down
in one gulp" -JLG _Sympathy for the Devil_ 1969

If you're referring to the film that shows the recording of the song
"Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones, it was actually called
"Symphony for the Devil", I believe. Goddeau was quite out there, but
the education one gets about the recording process as depicted in the
film is priceless! And so is the feature with Sir George Martin talking
about how they recorded Sgt. Pepper's.

--fletch

The Sir George "feature" is another program entirely, actually.

--fletch
Paul Stamler

"Fletch" wrote in message

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
snipped to make comment on the following:
"Foster Dulles went inside to order Princess Beatrice
a Molotov cocktail. When it was served, she drank it down
in one gulp" -JLG _Sympathy for the Devil_ 1969

If you're referring to the film that shows the recording of the song

"Sympathy for the Devil" by the
Rolling Stones, it was actually called "Symphony for the Devil", I

believe. Goddeau was quite out
there, but the education one gets about the recording process as depicted

in the film is priceless!
And so is the feature with Sir George Martin talking about how they

recorded Sgt. Pepper's.

No; it was originally called "One Plus One", but retitled "Sympathy for the
Devil". One of Godard's less inspiring flix for the most part, but the
recording sequences are priceless.

Peace,
Paul

Roger W. Norman

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
. 191...
Point 1: The Atlanta Braves games are now broadcast on WKLS, classic

rock,
in Atlanta. I hadn't listened to the radio in some time, but the radio is
often left on that channel. The compression of songs I know is almost
physically painful.

Point 2: The current RAP conflagration over vinyl vs CD. encouraged me to
pull out some of my old records and listen again. I'm loving the lack of
compression.

The one that stood out so far was Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing". The
intro grows irresitably into the verse with real drum punch, and it

doesn't
let up for the rest of the song.

What is your favorite "big dynamics" song? The one that suffers the most
from Orban-ization?

Bob Orban has often talked here about the over usage of his broadcast
compression. It only requires one to do a google search.

However, if you want truly wonderful dynamics from LP then look to
direct-to-disc recordings and half-speed masters. On my Thorens one of the
best rock albums was Crime of the Century by Supertramp. Superb. On a
classical note Night on Bald Mountain as a Direct-To-Disc was also superb.
I still have a cassette of that one with dbx. The last time I listened to
it I was still amazed.

RD Jones

Carey Carlan wrote:

What song do you listen to at home uncompressed that dies over the air?

Anything with drums.
The drums are the first to 'go away' with
broadcast compression/limiting.

There's a newly formatted station in Nashville,
96.3 'Jack' that plays a wide variety including
newer stuff all the way back to '70-'80's
pop-rock-disco, etc. Some of the older cuts
seem to have just a bit more dynamics coming
through (and less loud) while the more current
songs sound like you'd expect (bbbzzzzzzzzshshshsh).
They must be using a slightly less agressive
squeeze than others. They used to play '50's-'60's
oldies.
The guys over here like the station ...
from "Warewolfs of London" right into
"Can't touch this" by MCHammer. Haha

rd

Carey Carlan

"RD Jones" wrote in news:1118897158.478654.170930
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

There's a newly formatted station in Nashville,
96.3 'Jack' that plays a wide variety including
newer stuff all the way back to '70-'80's
pop-rock-disco, etc. Some of the older cuts
seem to have just a bit more dynamics coming
through (and less loud) while the more current
songs sound like you'd expect (bbbzzzzzzzzshshshsh).
They must be using a slightly less agressive
squeeze than others. They used to play '50's-'60's
oldies.
The guys over here like the station ...
from "Warewolfs of London" right into
"Can't touch this" by MCHammer. Haha

So we need to get everyone in Nashville to at least SAY that they're
listening to 96.3. If they gain market share, maybe the bean counters will
take notice.
Bob Olhsson

"RD Jones" wrote in message There's a newly formatted
station in Nashville,
96.3 'Jack' that plays a wide variety including
newer stuff all the way back to '70-'80's

'Jack' and 'Bob' which includes contemporary tracks are the big new thing in
radio. It's a robot that plays 1000 tracks that haven't been "burned out" in
the oldies format in random order. WABC-FM in New York just canned Cousin
Brucie and the gang flipping to 'Jack.' It's cheap and sounds a lot more
like good ol' top 40 except that there are no jocks to glue it together. Its
been successful at moving ststions up to somewhere between #6 and #4 in
their market.

It's pretty clear why most of this stuff only lasted in the top 10 for a few
weeks. Performance, Production, Song, pick any two, the third is MIA!

An interesting study in hit music.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

RD Jones

Bob Olhsson wrote:

"RD Jones" wrote in message There's a newly formatted
station in Nashville,
96.3 'Jack' that plays a wide variety including
newer stuff all the way back to '70-'80's

'Jack' and 'Bob' which includes contemporary tracks are the big new thing in
radio. It's a robot that plays 1000 tracks that haven't been "burned out" in
the oldies format in random order. WABC-FM in New York just canned Cousin
Brucie and the gang flipping to 'Jack.' It's cheap and sounds a lot more
like good ol' top 40 except that there are no jocks to glue it together. Its
been successful at moving ststions up to somewhere between #6 and #4 in
their market.

Hi Bob,
I engineered at one of the first automated stations
in my hometown market ('70's, NE Ohio) that eventually
hired Burkhart/Abrams out of Atlanta as consultants.
We became a 'SuperStars' format pilot and the 'Jack'
format is very reminiscent, although updated, of what
we were doing at the time. (minus the dance/disco/r&b)

It's pretty clear why most of this stuff only lasted in the top 10 for a few
weeks. Performance, Production, Song, pick any two, the third is MIA!

Taste can be an elusive commodity, and not being
a consumate country fan puts me at a disadvantage
here in town. I'm mostly a 'Lightning 100' kind
of guy with some time spent with the college
jazz station.

An interesting study in hit music.

Abrams now runs the XM service so he must have
gotten something right, whatever that means !

rd