Richard Crowley

"Don Richardson" wrote ...
I'm looking for multitrack recording software that records directly to
a hard drive (no temp files as an intermediary).

The reason for my question is that I record live concerts, ie,
multiple sets in music festivals---and the time taken for saving 16
one-hour tracks is about 20 minutes, too long if there's only a short
time between sets. Hence the need to record directly to hard disk---I
want to be ready to record again, quickly.

Huh? Using what? When I record using Cool Edit Pro (aka Audition)
it records directly to WAV files (or whatever you specified). Closing
a recording and opening a new one takes only as long as it takes the
user interface to paint the new windows on the screen.

Still, I wouldn't record a live concert using a computer because
there are too many other things to go wrong. At least run a backup
DAT or something.

Don Richardson

Default recording without saving

Hi,

I'm looking for multitrack recording software that records directly to a
hard drive (no temp files as an intermediary).

The reason for my question is that I record live concerts, ie, multiple
sets in music festivals---and the time taken for saving 16 one-hour
tracks is about 20 minutes, too long if there's only a short time
between sets. Hence the need to record directly to hard disk---I want to
be ready to record again, quickly.

Aside from Kristal Engine, is there any other software that has this
feature? It won't do the trick for me, as I use the Onyx mixer, whose
18 firewire outputs appear as stereo pairs 1 to 9; Krystal can't seem to
decode that.....

thanks for any suggestions on this.
Mike Rocha

Don Richardson wrote:
Well, in Audition, when I stop the recording and "save as" (in other
words, the first time I save the multitrack session) I get a save dialog
box which then prompts me to save each and every wave file.....all 16 in
total. I understand from the Audition forum that it does indeed write a
temp file for each track, which then must be named and saved.
Subsequent saves (Crtl-s) are fast; just a quick update.

*snip*

I'm no longer an Audition/Cool Edit user so my memory's a little foggy,
but i know with Cubase SX when you open a new session, the first thing
it does is prompt the user for a directory where the project should run
from. This way, as soon as the song/set is complete you just whack one
more Ctrl-S and you're done. Close the session, open a new session for
the next song/set and specify a new directory and away you go. So
basically, in Cubase, the whole Save As... function is done at the
beginning of the session before there are any big files to write.

This is true for Cubase SX, Pro Tools, Nuendo, and Logic as well.

Roach
studiorat

Hi.
SCSI drives... (Removable) are a must...
I can do hour hour and a half live concerts to protools 24 tracks
upwards, are you looking for somthing that records straight onto a
removable media?
Radar is my fave for live and on location gigs. You can switch the
power off mid recording and all the audio up till the power down will
remain...
The Mackie aint great, apparently it splits the files cause it's only
an IDE drive. Pretty scary.

Don Richardson

Well, in Audition, when I stop the recording and "save as" (in other
words, the first time I save the multitrack session) I get a save dialog
box which then prompts me to save each and every wave file.....all 16 in
total. I understand from the Audition forum that it does indeed write a
temp file for each track, which then must be named and saved.
Subsequent saves (Crtl-s) are fast; just a quick update.

Try recording a session and then attempt to close it and see what dialog
box comes up....

Yes, I run a Mackie MDR2496 multitrack recorder as a backup.

------------------

Richard Crowley wrote:
[...]

Richard Crowley

"Don Richardson" wrote ...
Well, in Audition, when I stop the recording and "save as" (in other
words, the first time I save the multitrack session) I get a save
dialog box which then prompts me to save each and every wave
file.....all 16 in total. I understand from the Audition forum that
it does indeed write a temp file for each track, which then must be
named and saved. Subsequent saves (Crtl-s) are fast; just a quick
update.

Try recording a session and then attempt to close it and see what
dialog box comes up....

Yes, I see what you mean. I was basing my statement on just using it
for stereo. OTOH, you could always "start" several empty sessions
and just use the prefabricated sessions while recording live. I believe
you can preset several other things (like channel sources, etc.) that
way.

Yes, I run a Mackie MDR2496 multitrack recorder as a backup.

And I run my Alesis HD24 as the primary machine and just dump
the WAV files into CE/Audition. Much more reliable, especially
when I am one of the performers and can't oversee the recording
process directly.

Chip Borton

thanks for any suggestions on this.

Nuendo should do the trick. Not cheap though
RD Jones

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Don Richardson" wrote ...
I'm looking for multitrack recording software that records directly

a hard drive (no temp files as an intermediary).

The reason for my question is that I record live concerts, ie,
multiple sets in music festivals---and the time taken for saving 16

one-hour tracks is about 20 minutes, too long if there's only a

short
time between sets. Hence the need to record directly to hard

disk---I
want to be ready to record again, quickly.

Huh? Using what? When I record using Cool Edit Pro (aka Audition)
it records directly to WAV files (or whatever you specified). Closing
a recording and opening a new one takes only as long as it takes the
user interface to paint the new windows on the screen.

This is only true if you are saving as the
CoolEdit native file format: 32bit.
If you want to save as 24bit integer the file
needs to be converted in the save process,
and this is one of the aspects of
Cool/Audition that I have struggled with.
I would be much happier if I could specify
24bit (typeI) as the native file format.

rd

hank alrich

Don Richardson wrote:

I'm looking for multitrack recording software that records directly to a
hard drive (no temp files as an intermediary).

The reason for my question is that I record live concerts, ie, multiple
sets in music festivals---and the time taken for saving 16 one-hour
tracks is about 20 minutes, too long if there's only a short time
between sets. Hence the need to record directly to hard disk---I want to
be ready to record again, quickly.

Aside from Kristal Engine, is there any other software that has this
feature? It won't do the trick for me, as I use the Onyx mixer, whose
18 firewire outputs appear as stereo pairs 1 to 9; Krystal can't seem to
decode that.....

thanks for any suggestions on this.

On a Mac running OSX 10.3.something or other, the Metric Halo Mobile
IO's Console app can stream SDII files straight to hard disk without
intermediation by a DAW application. There is no save function or
command. You specifiy a folder into which the files are to be written.
It writes the files directly, and thereafter one may import them into
one's DAW app of choice.

--
ha

Arny Krueger

"Don Richardson" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm looking for multitrack recording software that records

directly to a
hard drive (no temp files as an intermediary).

The reason for my question is that I record live concerts,

ie, multiple
sets in music festivals---and the time taken for saving 16

one-hour
tracks is about 20 minutes, too long if there's only a

short time
between sets. Hence the need to record directly to hard

disk---I want to
be ready to record again, quickly.

You might want to work on your hardware configuration. I
believe that you've mentioned that you've been using
Audition/CE to do your recording work, as do I. Yesterday I
checked the time it takes to save a half-hour 20 track
session, and came up with an average of 18 seconds per track
or six minutes for all 20.

IME audio file save times expand roughly linearly with
recording time.

Therefore I would project about 10 minutes (about half what
you mention) for your task, were you do it on a system that
was more comparable to mine.

My system is hardly SOTA - being composed of an 512k Athlon
2000+ with 2 120 GB 7200 rpm hard drives. I think that if I
pulled a few more tricks out of my bag (RAID, anybody) I
might cut my save times in half.

Plan B might be to have two computer systems (not a bad idea
for a job the size of yours for the sake of reliability) and
swap them between sessions throughout the day. If the
recording interfaces were on Firewire or USB ports, you
could use the same interfaces and just switch the ports.

Forty Winks

"studiorat" wrote in news:1116779236.730651.17670
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hi.
SCSI drives... (Removable) are a must...
I can do hour hour and a half live concerts to protools 24 tracks
upwards, are you looking for somthing that records straight onto a
removable media?
Radar is my fave for live and on location gigs. You can switch the
power off mid recording and all the audio up till the power down will
remain...
The Mackie aint great, apparently it splits the files cause it's only
an IDE drive. Pretty scary.

You appear to be basing this on some antiquated facts about SCSI vs IDE. If
the Mackie splits the files up, it's due to the way it formats the drive,
not the fact that it's an IDE drive.
Arny Krueger

"studiorat" wrote in message
ups.com...

SCSI drives... (Removable) are a must...

10 years ago, maybe.

Radar is my fave for live and on location gigs. You can

switch the
power off mid recording and all the audio up till the

power down will
remain...

Ditto for Audition/CEP. It's pretty uncanny. I tell my
unskilled operators to, if in doubt, just turn the plug
strip off. I come back later, power up and let Audition
recover the work file(s), and do the file save then.

The Mackie aint great, apparently it splits the files

cause it's only
an IDE drive. Pretty scary.

It's the Mackie part of the equation, not the IDE part.
Audition works fine on IDE drives. No sweat.

Richard Crowley

"studiorat" wrote :
SCSI drives... (Removable) are a must...

Good luck. They're nearly extinct.

Perhaps because they no longer have any advantage over
todays less expensive, fast IDE (and now SATA), drives.
Daniel Fuchs

Don Richardson wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for multitrack recording software that records directly to a
hard drive (no temp files as an intermediary).

Samplitude/Sequoia.

Even if the program crashes (happened to me because of some other
software that had gone berserk, not Samplitude's fault), the files will
be on you disk as recorded...

Daniel
Don Richardson

Your comment is very intriguing----yesterday, a 50 minute set required
100 seconds to save each of 16 tracks. I'm running Athlon XP M2500+
(o/c to 3200+ with 200 MHz FSB) and 1 GB of PC3200 ram.

One issue at the moment; the same internal drive (not the OS hard drive)
is writing the temp file and the final save in its own project folder.
Maybe the hard drive is taking too much time to read then write..... I
will get an external firewire drive up for the same save function, and
see what time it takes then....

Thanks for giving me your experience with Audition. It's my preferred
recording option.

-------------

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

Carla Fong

Don Richardson wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for multitrack recording software that records directly to a
hard drive (no temp files as an intermediary).

We use Vegas (Version 4 at this moment) -

it records .wav files directly to the selected destination -

when you stop recording, two things happen:

Closing the .wav file requires an instant to go to the head of the file
and write the file length into the first sector. A millisecond or so.
(side note: I found out about this the hard way when we had a power
failure during a recording session - thought everything was lost as
opening the file in an audio editor said there was "0 seconds" of audio
but checking the DOS file information said we had about 900 megs of data
in each channel's .wav file... Wrote a utility to insert the file length
into the first sector and voila' - back in business... woo hoo!)

After closing, Vegas then scans the entire file and builds the peak
display information for the visual display in the editor. This can take
a while - quite a while for several channels of hour or longer recorded
data. There's a progress bar in the lower left of the screen that shows
what's happening.

This scan process is OPTIONAL, and only useful if you're going to be
mixing immediately after recording.

Next to the progress bar is a 'Cancel' button that aborts the scan and
puts you back into "Record Ready" mode.

We can stop recording, close all files and be ready for the next take in
less than 10 seconds.

Carla
Arny Krueger

"Don Richardson" wrote in message

Your comment is very intriguing----yesterday, a 50 minute

set required
100 seconds to save each of 16 tracks. I'm running Athlon

XP M2500+
(o/c to 3200+ with 200 MHz FSB) and 1 GB of PC3200 ram.

One issue at the moment; the same internal drive (not the

OS hard drive)
is writing the temp file and the final save in its own

project folder.

Yes, during the file save, Audition/CEP is copying masses of
data from the temp folder to the project folder.

Copying a large file from one part of a hard drive to
another part of the same hard drive is a well-known
performance bottleneck. OTOH, disk-disk copies can be far
faster.

Maybe the hard drive is taking too much time to read then

write..... I
will get an external firewire drive up for the same save

function, and
see what time it takes then....

Thanks for giving me your experience with Audition.

Glad to help someone who seems to be as enthusastic about
live multitrack recording as I am.

It's my preferred recording option.

Obviously mine, as well.

Back on topic...

If you somehow manage to put the Audition/CE temp file on a
separate drive from the project folder drive, it's easy to
predict a performance gain during file saves on the order of
2:1 or more.

If you can swing it, an external "project" hard drive
connected a USB-2 or Firewire interface could be a big help.

If the external hard drive is home to the project folder,
you may have the option of carrying the external drive
around, or having redundant external hard drives, instead of
carrying around the computer or trying to have redundant
computers.

One nice thing about USB-2 and Firewire external hard drives
is that they hot swap very nicely, even under XP.

In contrast, splitting the Audition/CEP temp file folders
has a completely different set of performance advantages.
When there are two temp file folders, the I/O for writing is
split across two hard drives. But, when you save, the save
runs essentially from one temp file hard drive, and then the
other. Only one hard drive is active at a time during the
file save, so there is not much performance advantage.

All other things being equal, a larger, emptier hard drive
is faster than a smaller, fuller one.

I can foresee the day when it might be practical to save
large audio projects to USB flash drives, which are very
compact, robust, and fast.

Arny Krueger

"Carla Fong" wrote in
message news:T0Hke.13$qJ3.9@trnddc05...

[...]

This looks like an attractive option. How is Vegas 4 as
audio-only software? All the versions I find for sale online
seem to be mainly for video, and run about twice the price
of Audition/CE.

studiorat

When the Mackie HDR first came out, TASCAM made a big deal about the
superiority of the SCSI drives that they used in the MX-2424 as
opposed to the IDE drives that the Mackie used. Which product lasted
longer in the market? (Mackie) And what kind of drive does TASCAM's
new entry, the X-48 use? (IDE).

A marketing question I would imagine...

SCSI used to be what you had to buy in order to get a fast and large
capacity disk drive. No more.

Show me a 10,000rpm ide (ata) drive and I might be interested. I've
only seen 2 scsi drives break down I have seen many more ide drives die.

The Horta

"studiorat" wrote in
oups.com:

Show me a 10,000rpm ide (ata) drive and I might be interested.
I've only seen 2 scsi drives break down I have seen many more
ide drives die.

Here you go!
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Produ...65&Language=en

And it's FASTER then just about any 10k RPM SCSI drive with similar
MTBF figures -- and they're only $200 a pop.

Have a read:
http://storagereview.com/articles/20...WD740GD_1.html

Brendan

Richard Crowley

"studiorat" wrote ...
Show me a 10,000rpm ide (ata) drive and I might be interested.

See Brendan's response.

I've only seen 2 scsi drives break down I have seen many more
ide drives die.

Meaningless unless we know how many SCSI drives you have seen,
and how many IDE.

My recollection from back when we used to use SCSI drives was
that only the expensive server-class drives had any significantly
better reliability than current IDE products. Of course SCSI drives
are going the way of the Dodo bird, so this whole argument is
moot.
Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

SCSI used to be what you had to buy in order to get a fast and large
capacity disk drive. No more.

Show me a 10,000rpm ide (ata) drive and I might be interested. I've
only seen 2 scsi drives break down I have seen many more ide drives die.

Show me a need in recording for a 10,000 RPM drive. If you really want
to record, play, and punch 100 simultaneouls tracks at 192 kHz then
maybe you have a requirement, but for 24 tracks at 48 kHz sample rate,
a 5400 RPM drive is adequate.

As to reliability, there's no reason why one should be more reliable
than the other. At one time, and perhaps still, SCSI drives, because
of their greater cost, used better components than IDE drives, but
these days you'd have to work hard (like you'd have to be director of
manufacturing of a major manufacturer who sold both types of drives)
to convince me that they aren't all assembled in China or Mexico using
the same automated equipment and techniques.

I haven't seen an IDE drive failure myself. That doesn't mean I'll
never have one, but diligent backups should reduce the possibility of
total project loss to near zero. You don't forego backing up because
you use SCSI drives, do you?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Scott Dorsey

In article znr1119006584k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:

In article .com writes:

SCSI used to be what you had to buy in order to get a fast and large
capacity disk drive. No more.

Show me a 10,000rpm ide (ata) drive and I might be interested. I've
only seen 2 scsi drives break down I have seen many more ide drives die.

Show me a need in recording for a 10,000 RPM drive. If you really want
to record, play, and punch 100 simultaneouls tracks at 192 kHz then
maybe you have a requirement, but for 24 tracks at 48 kHz sample rate,
a 5400 RPM drive is adequate.

Faster backups.

As to reliability, there's no reason why one should be more reliable
than the other. At one time, and perhaps still, SCSI drives, because
of their greater cost, used better components than IDE drives, but
these days you'd have to work hard (like you'd have to be director of
manufacturing of a major manufacturer who sold both types of drives)
to convince me that they aren't all assembled in China or Mexico using
the same automated equipment and techniques.

I haven't seen an IDE drive failure myself. That doesn't mean I'll
never have one, but diligent backups should reduce the possibility of
total project loss to near zero. You don't forego backing up because
you use SCSI drives, do you?

I see drive failures _all the time_. Don't trust _any_ disk drive.
Make constant backups.

Arny Krueger

studiorat wrote:
When the Mackie HDR first came out, TASCAM made a big

deal about the
superiority of the SCSI drives that they used in the

MX-2424 as
opposed to the IDE drives that the Mackie used. Which

product lasted
longer in the market? (Mackie) And what kind of drive

does TASCAM's
new entry, the X-48 use? (IDE).

A marketing question I would imagine...

SCSI used to be what you had to buy in order to get a

fast and large
capacity disk drive. No more.

Definately true.

Show me a 10,000rpm ide (ata) drive and I might be

interested.

I'll show you such a drive and then tell you why you might
not want it.

Here is a 10,000 rpm ata drive:

http://store.westerndigital.com/product.asp?sku=2325479

(there are larger models)

The reason why you might not want it is because you can
probably get as good or better performance with a lot more
space for about the same money or maybe a little more.

I've only seen 2 scsi drives break down I have seen many

more ide drives die.

Let's compare a number of relevant things:

(1) The total number of SCSI and IDE drives you've seen in
operation. If you see 100 times more IDE drives in operation
and you see 100 times more IDE drives fail, then both are
equally relaible, right?

(2) SCSI drives have been shoved into the high-performance,
high-reliability, high-cost end of the marketplace. If SCSI
drives cost more for a certain amount of space, and also are
more reliable due the fact that spending more on their
construction is justified by the price, then who is
surprised if they are more reliable?

IOW, good diesel truck engines go 500,000 miles without an
overhaul. If that's all that matters, why doesn't every car
have a diesel truck engine in it?

Bottom line, money matters. Zillions of people are getting
great performance for complex audio applications out of good
modern ATA drives or modest arrays of them.

Lorin David Schultz

"Mike Rivers" wrote:

I haven't seen an IDE drive failure myself.

You've just been lucky. I've had a few go south on me. Fortunately,
they don't usually quit abruptly. They become uncooperative and finicky
first, to warn you that death is imminent.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Scott Dorsey

In article znr1119302181k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:
In article VXFte.71519$on1.14900@clgrps13 writes:

You've just been lucky. I've had a few go south on me. Fortunately,
they don't usually quit abruptly. They become uncooperative and finicky
first, to warn you that death is imminent.

Well, I'll admit to having replaced drives when I became suspicious of
them, but the only time I had a drive fail before I could recover the
data from it (it wasn't a situation where I was willing to pay for a
high-priced data recovery service to work on it), it was an MFM drive,
pre IDE. I suspect that the failure was in the electronics rather than
the platters, so it probably wouldn't have been that big of a deal to
read it if that was the only recourse. Since this was on the BBS that
I was running at the time, I had a backup that was less than half a
day old. That was in the days when you could do an incremental backup
on a couple of floppy disks.

For the most part, the operating system _should_ give you a way to watch
drive error rates. But if it doesn't, your major tool is to listen to
the drives.

Most of the drive failures I see are due to main bearings going bad.
When this happens, the whine from the drive stops being a pure tone
and turns into a fuzzy tone with sidebands around it. When you hear
that sound, the drive is failing.

Drives that regularly go into tcal all the time are also probably doomed
to failure soon, and that causes a particular sort of ticking pattern
as the voice coil zeroes the heads out and returns them several times.
That sound also is a sign of impending trouble.

Make good backups, constant backups. Make more backups and use your
ears.

Scott Dorsey

Arny Krueger wrote:

What backup media's speed taxes a modern 5400 rpm drive?

A 7200 rpm drive.

Lorin David Schultz wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote:

I haven't seen an IDE drive failure myself.

You've just been lucky. I've had a few go south on me.

No doubt - I've personally had3 IDE drives fail on me and have at while
working computer lab maintenance jobs at least another 30-40 fail.

Fortunately,
they don't usually quit abruptly. They become uncooperative and finicky
first, to warn you that death is imminent.

Usually this is true... and sometimes even after they die they can be
resurrected long enough to retrieve the data.

--
Aaron