Justin

Default XM with FM Modulator - Wired / Wireless?

I just purchased a Delphi Rhodey, and am very dissapointed with the
wireless FM modulator. It just doesn't seem to work very well, the
quality is slightyl better then FM, and not at all close to CD.
Although I've tried all the station settings, in my metro area every
station has a signal, therefor it often sounds like the wireless FM
Modulator is competing with the external FM broadcast. Would all my
problems be solved with a wired FM modulator? Afterall, many CD
changers use wired FM Modulators and sound much better than the radio.
Anyone else dissapointed with wireless FM modulator? Anyone think the
difference won't be very extreme?

Thanks,
Justin
KaeZoo

"Justin" wrote in message
om...
I just purchased a Delphi Rhodey, and am very dissapointed with the
wireless FM modulator. It just doesn't seem to work very well, the
quality is slightyl better then FM, and not at all close to CD.
Although I've tried all the station settings, in my metro area every
station has a signal, therefor it often sounds like the wireless FM
Modulator is competing with the external FM broadcast. Would all my
problems be solved with a wired FM modulator? Afterall, many CD
changers use wired FM Modulators and sound much better than the radio.
Anyone else dissapointed with wireless FM modulator? Anyone think the
difference won't be very extreme?

Thanks,
Justin

If you're finding the wireless FM modulator sounds "slightly better than FM"
then it's doing better than I would have guessed. A wired type FM modulator
will probably sound better, but it still won't come close to CD (nor do CD
changers with FM modulators).

Scott Gardner

Justin wrote:

I just purchased a Delphi Rhodey, and am very dissapointed with the
wireless FM modulator. It just doesn't seem to work very well, the
quality is slightyl better then FM, and not at all close to CD.
Although I've tried all the station settings, in my metro area every
station has a signal, therefor it often sounds like the wireless FM
Modulator is competing with the external FM broadcast. Would all my
problems be solved with a wired FM modulator? Afterall, many CD
changers use wired FM Modulators and sound much better than the radio.
Anyone else dissapointed with wireless FM modulator? Anyone think the
difference won't be very extreme?

Thanks,
Justin

You said that in your area, "every station has a signal". Do you mean that
every frequency that you can tune (88.1, 88.3, 88.5 etc. etc.) already has
a signal being broadcast on it? If that's the case, even switching to a
wired FM modulator may not help you. If you can find a frequency that
isn't being used by a radio station, and it only has a little bit of
interference from adjacent stations, you may get that to work if the signal
from the modulator is much stronger than the interference, but there's no
guarantee. Also, you'll need to check to see what frequencies the
modulator supports. Some only support two or three possibilities.

Scott Gardner

Peter Klein

If you run your XM signal into an FM modulator you will convert the crystal
clear digital FM (like CD) into analog FM radio quality sound! You will lose
all the clear high frequencies and all the deep bass and hear only mid
frequencies. P.

"Justin" wrote in message
om...
I just purchased a Delphi Rhodey, and am very dissapointed with the
wireless FM modulator. It just doesn't seem to work very well, the
quality is slightyl better then FM, and not at all close to CD.
Although I've tried all the station settings, in my metro area every
station has a signal, therefor it often sounds like the wireless FM
Modulator is competing with the external FM broadcast. Would all my
problems be solved with a wired FM modulator? Afterall, many CD
changers use wired FM Modulators and sound much better than the radio.
Anyone else dissapointed with wireless FM modulator? Anyone think the
difference won't be very extreme?

Thanks,
Justin

Scott Johnson

"Peter Klein" wrote in message
news2gGc.29219$Oq2.13876@attbi_s52...
If you run your XM signal into an FM modulator you will convert the

crystal
clear digital FM (like CD) ....

/snip/

NO! It's not like cd, it's compressed digital.

Eddie Runner

And, it may be digital from the satellite, but it is NO LONGER
digital when it goes through an FM modulator OR EVEN
THROUGH THE RCA CABLES if you have the ability to
direct connect.....

Eddie

Scott Johnson wrote:

"Peter Klein" wrote in message
news2gGc.29219$Oq2.13876@attbi_s52...
If you run your XM signal into an FM modulator you will convert the

crystal
clear digital FM (like CD) ....

/snip/

NO! It's not like cd, it's compressed digital.

Justin

To clarify, I did mean that all the stations 88.1 .3 .5, etc have
broadcasts that often interfere with the wireless FM modulator.

As a side note - I returned my broken Roady (only 3 weeks old), for a
Sky-Fi, the Sky-Fi (they were out of stock of Roady's) sounded much
better (fuller) than my Roady, and I was using the same wireless FM
modulator. The problem I find with the sky-fi is it is too big for my
car, it also doesn't auto-power-on which is EXTREMELY annoying,
especially when I turn on the car and am welcomed by blastic static.
I'm returning it today for the Roady2

Scott Johnson wrote:

"Peter Klein" wrote in message
news2gGc.29219$Oq2.13876@attbi_s52...
If you run your XM signal into an FM modulator you will convert the

crystal
clear digital FM (like CD) ....

/snip/

NO! It's not like cd, it's compressed digital.

Eddie Runner

WHY NOT get an FM modulator that connects directly to the anotenna
jack at the back of the factory radio? I install alot of the delphi skyfis
and Terk Commanders with the WIRED FM modulator and they sound
GREAT!!

Eddie

Scott Johnson wrote:

"Peter Klein" wrote in message
news2gGc.29219$Oq2.13876@attbi_s52...
If you run your XM signal into an FM modulator you will convert the

crystal
clear digital FM (like CD) ....

/snip/

NO! It's not like cd, it's compressed digital.

Justin

Well, the SkyFi kinda sucked for the car so I returned it. The SkyFi
didn't auto-power on with the vehicle, and a small annoyance that was
driving me nuts. Fortunately Best Buy took back the SkyFi, and gave a
full-refund. Circuit City had the Roady2, so I purcahsed that instead.
I also purchased a bracket (sold at CC) for mounting it to the dash
(via the stereo chassis). I also purchased the FM modulator and
hard-wired everything. This setup is FAR better, the sound quality is
exponentially better than that of the wireless.

ALSO!!!!

The Delphi FM Modulator (wired) DOES IN FACT cancel all incomming
stations and ask as somewhat of a switch. You can't tune to any radio
station unless the Roady unit is powered off, the FM modulator then
returns the connection to the cars external antenna. This is
absolutely the SUPERIOR way to install XM in your car in my opinion.
It was very easy too hook up (took about 1 hour), and the only reason
it took that long is after I installed everything, put everything back
together, I found I mounted the bracket to low on the stereo chassis,
and the bottom of the Roady2 was blocking my cup holder, so I had to
pull everything out again and remount it. Looks great, sounds even
better! I stronly recommend it!

-Justin