Ken Drescher

Default Marantz Dial Lamp Info...

Marantz Dial Lamps

Another tip brought to you by a
href=http://members.aol.com/KDresch/audio.net.htmlaudio.net/a, the first
moderately priced used audio site tailored exclusively for the Internet - stop
by and see all our images of great equipment.

This is one of the most common questions I get - Do you know the value and have
a source for Marantz dial lamps?

DIAL LAMPS and FM METER LAMPS
The fuse type lamps used to light the black-out dial of the Marantz 22xx series
receivers is a 8V 200 mA bulb. The best replacement is a 8V 250 mA lamp from
Parts Express (Part No. 070-120, $.50 each) I'm not sure if the 200 mA
version is even still available. Some models use a 8V 300 mA lamp for the FM
meters.

FUNCTION LAMPS and DIAL POINTER
The function (FM, Phono, Aux, etc) lamps originally were bi-pin 8V 40mA units.
You can substitute a lamp with leads that Parts Express sells rated at 8V 35 mA
(Part No. 070-100 $.40 each) The dial pointer can also use this same lamp,
just don't cut off the leads. Another audiophile indicated these may also be
40mA 6.3V. But I got the 8V data from Marantz.

STEREO INDICATOR LAMP
The stereo indicator lamp is 12V 30mA. Parts Express sells a bulb with leads
that may substitute rated at 12V 34mA. (Part No. 070-106 $.40 each) Apparantly
the FM Stereo Indicator bulb must be replaced exactly with the original value
or you can damage some of the FM miltiplex circuitry. I know the original bulb
is bi-pin design.

So to summarize:

1) Dial Lamps - Fuse Type 200mA 8V
2) FM meters: Either the above or 300mA 8V depending on model
3) Function Indicators: 40mA 6.3V or 40mA 8V
4) Stereo Indicators: 30mA 12 V (must use this exact value or chance MPX
damage)
5) Dial Pointer: White or Red 40mA 6.3V or 40mA 8V

Sources:
Parts Express (www.partsexpress.com), 1-800-338-0531
MCM Electronics (www.mcmelectronics.com) 1-800-543-4330
Audio70 (http://audio70.safeshopper.com/index.htm?33747)

Hope this helps all you Marantz fans!

Pa href=http://members.aol.com/KDresch/audio.net.htmlaudio.net/a, Used
Audio ShopPNow entering our 9th year of operation.P100% Customer
Satisfaction Guaranteed since 1995.