Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default only one real issue I'm finding with monitor speaker setup versus car

Been over a week now since using the recommended Presonus E5's and
Behringer 202. While I'm finding it much easier to judge and correct
for proper equalization, anytime I try and manipulate either stereo
width, add reverb or similar, it never sounds very good in the car but
will sound good on these monitors. Recommendations?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sighhhhhh.. This again!

If your monitor speaker setup ISN'T in
your car it will never be able to recreate
that exact acoustic environment.

Unless you buy a second car identical
in year, make, model, and trim level to
yours, then, install the monitoring &
mastering suite *in that duplicate
vehicle*. Then you can mix and master
away and be able to create masters
that will sound terrific in your daily
driver and sound like shyte anywhere
else on Earth you play them back over.

!...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 09/03/2018 20:37, JBI wrote:

I thought the whole point of getting this set up and mixing with
monitors in the house was so that mixes would sound better on anything,
not just in the car!Â* Correct me if I'm wrong....

Only one reverb so far has been passable, and that was a convolution
reverb with very gentle settings.Â* It actually sound worse on the
monitors, but better in the car.Â* Perhaps I'll have to go back to that
but it's a darned shame that the current reverb sounds like crap in the
auto as it really sounds good on these new monitors.Â* Oh well.....

Part of the problem may be that you are not used to your new system yet,
another is that reverb generally sounds better is if it used in small
doses, especially if you are adding it to material that already has some
reverb or room tone in the source.

Another point is that when monitoring,it's recommended that you install
sound deadening pads at the reflection points between your ears and the
speakers, say on the ceiling and desktop,and that your head and the
speakers fall at the points of an equilateral triangle.

There is another way, of course, which is to get a better quality system
installed in the car and set up to sound as good as the environment
permits. Decent door speakers, and a decent quality subwooofer, set not
to overpower the others is one way I've had success with.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/09/2018 03:57 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 09/03/2018 20:37, JBI wrote:

I thought the whole point of getting this set up and mixing with
monitors in the house was so that mixes would sound better on
anything, not just in the car!Â* Correct me if I'm wrong....

Only one reverb so far has been passable, and that was a convolution
reverb with very gentle settings.Â* It actually sound worse on the
monitors, but better in the car.Â* Perhaps I'll have to go back to that
but it's a darned shame that the current reverb sounds like crap in
the auto as it really sounds good on these new monitors.Â* Oh well.....

Part of the problem may be that you are not used to your new system yet,
another is that reverb generally sounds better is if it used in small
doses, especially if you are adding it to material that already has some
reverb or room tone in the source.

Yes, I've noticed that (reverb only in small doses). I also have better
luck allocating it only to certain frequencies and not to all of them,
plus adding some random variance with automation. Oh well, I'll have to
retry. There is no longer noise issues in the car since using the
ground loop filter I built, so I may give it another go in the car just
temporarily as I don't want to start doing everything in the car once again!

Another point is that when monitoring,it's recommended that you install
sound deadening pads at the reflection points between your ears and the
speakers, say on the ceiling and desktop,and that your head and the
speakers fall at the points of an equilateral triangle.

The triangle is already established, but I've been a bit concerned as
the monitors are are further away than I had hoped (roughly 5 feet away
for each one). I suppose some extra reverb could creep in over that
distance.

There is another way, of course, which is to get a better quality system
installed in the car and set up to sound as good as the environment
permits. Decent door speakers, and a decent quality subwooofer, set not
to overpower the others is one way I've had success with.

With this old hunk of a car that I have, it's not worth it. About the
most I tried recently was modifying the radio harness wires to add an
external auxiliary input since I've been using a cassette adapter for
years. While the modification worked, I was left with only about half
of the volume I could obtain with the adapter. Solution was either a
stronger amp or just keep what I have and I chose the latter.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/9/2018 2:43 PM, JBI wrote:
Been over a week now since using the recommended Presonus E5's and
Behringer 202.Â* While I'm finding it much easier to judge and correct
for proper equalization, anytime I try and manipulate either stereo
width, add reverb or similar, it never sounds very good in the car but
will sound good on these monitors.Â* Recommendations?

What, specifically, are the problems with reverb and stereo panning when
listening in the car?

I suspect that the real problem is that reflections in your room are
changing what's coming out of reasonably accurate monitors, so in your
room, you aren't really hearing what you paid for. One cheap trick is to
mix using the speakers, then check your mix on headphones. Headphones
aren't good for mixing, but they're closer to representing what car
audio sounds like than a small, untreated room, so you can use them to
decide if your panning is where you want it, and if you have too much or
too little reverb.

Also, make sure that your car radio isn't applying some signal
processing. Lots of car radios, even going back 15 years or more, have
presets for jazz, classical, pop, dance, etc. One of those might be
selected and you don't know it or don't remember engaging it.

Room reflections can affect stereo imaging, reverberation, and frequency
response. Getting the speakers close to you (5 feet is too far to be
considered "near field" in a small room) lets you hear more of the
speakers and less of the room, which will get you closer to the right
track.

There are some pretty good articles at
http://www.gikacoustics.com/articles/ that might help. Start out using
their guide to speaker placement (but of course they want you to buy
their room treatment materials in the end). Move some furniture if you
need to. Improvise speaker stands from a stack of concrete "cinder
blocks." $15 at Home Depot plus an afternoon's work might get your
mixes to travel a bit better.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

When deciding how much reverb to add to a mix, I have a pretty simple technique:

1. Start out with no reverb.
2. Turn up the reverb until it sounds right.
3. Then turn it down 6dB from that point.

I won't say it works every time, but it works more often than not.

The idea is that your brain becomes acclimated to a given level of reverb quite quickly; the natural inclination in Step 2 is to add reverb until you can "hear it working". That's how we get so many mixes that sound like they were recorded in a cave.

This method is an attempt to work around the brain's tendency. Give it a try.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/09/2018 06:14 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/9/2018 2:43 PM, JBI wrote:
Been over a week now since using the recommended Presonus E5's and
Behringer 202.Â* While I'm finding it much easier to judge and correct
for proper equalization, anytime I try and manipulate either stereo
width, add reverb or similar, it never sounds very good in the car but
will sound good on these monitors.Â* Recommendations?

What, specifically, are the problems with reverb and stereo panning when
listening in the car?

You know what, I think it has to do with the volume in the car as well
as the placement of my head and/or stereo balance between speakers.

I suspect that the real problem is that reflections in your room are
changing what's coming out of reasonably accurate monitors, so in your
room, you aren't really hearing what you paid for. One cheap trick is to
mix using the speakers, then check your mix on headphones. Headphones
aren't good for mixing, but they're closer to representing what car
audio sounds like than a small, untreated room, so you can use them to
decide if your panning is where you want it, and if you have too much or
too little reverb.

Thanks, I'll give the headphones a try the next time around.

Also, make sure that your car radio isn't applying some signal
processing. Lots of car radios, even going back 15 years or more, have
presets for jazz, classical, pop, dance, etc. One of those might be
selected and you don't know it or don't remember engaging it.

I'm almost certain it does have some sort of compression or limiting,
but I've never known it to have presets for anything; very old radio, in
fact it's the stock radio in the 2000 Taurus.

Room reflections can affect stereo imaging, reverberation, and frequency
response. Getting the speakers close to you (5 feet is too far to be
considered "near field" in a small room) lets you hear more of the
speakers and less of the room, which will get you closer to the right
track.

I figured 5 feet was a little too far. I'm not sure how to get them any
closer. I run an electric heater in this room this time of the year and
I have to have about a 5 foot area in front of me in the clear. If I
tried to move the speakers closer on their makeshift stands, they'd
block the heater. Maybe when Summer comes, I'll be able to get around
it.

There are some pretty good articles at
http://www.gikacoustics.com/articles/ that might help. Start out using
their guide to speaker placement (but of course they want you to buy
their room treatment materials in the end). Move some furniture if you
need to. Improvise speaker stands from a stack of concrete "cinder
blocks."Â* $15 at Home Depot plus an afternoon's work might get your
mixes to travel a bit better.

I was also thinking of adding wheels to my current stands, then I could
just roll them closer when I'm using the system. I'll take a look at
the articles. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hikaru Ichijyo Hikaru Ichijyo is offline

The more I see discussions like this, the more I think someone out there
is missing a fabulous business opportunity making mixer consoles that
mount on your dashboard. After all, haven't we all already decided that
our cars are the only monitoring environment we really trust?

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 12/03/2018 9:20 AM, Hikaru Ichijyo wrote:
The more I see discussions like this, the more I think someone out there
is missing a fabulous business opportunity making mixer consoles that
mount on your dashboard. After all, haven't we all already decided that
our cars are the only monitoring environment we really trust?

Put it all thru a Behringer X-18 or whatever and you can use the X-Air
Android or Apple appon your smartphone to finely tweak the sound to your
liking (eq, dynamics, gating, reverb, whatever !) while you are speeding
along.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , JBI wrote:
Been over a week now since using the recommended Presonus E5's and
Behringer 202. While I'm finding it much easier to judge and correct
for proper equalization, anytime I try and manipulate either stereo
width, add reverb or similar, it never sounds very good in the car but
will sound good on these monitors. Recommendations?

Keep doing it, and keep listening, and if possible listen on as many other
systems as you can.

Eventually you will figure out that really nothing ever sounds very good in
the car, but you may specifically learn some things that always sound bad
and can be avoided (like excessive stuff in the 120 Hz range where cars are
frequently boomy).
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Hikaru Ichijyo wrote:
The more I see discussions like this, the more I think someone out there
is missing a fabulous business opportunity making mixer consoles that
mount on your dashboard. After all, haven't we all already decided that
our cars are the only monitoring environment we really trust?

I don't know about this, but I did once work at a studio that had mounted
a Chrysler cigarette lighter and ashtray into a Neve module and bolted it
into the console. It was very convenient and between that and the oversized
studio glass most of the benefits of the automobile were achieved.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 03/09/2018 11:43 AM, JBI wrote:
Been over a week now since using the recommended Presonus E5's and
Behringer 202. While I'm finding it much easier to judge and correct
for proper equalization, anytime I try and manipulate either stereo
width, add reverb or similar, it never sounds very good in the car
but will sound good on these monitors. Recommendations?

I didn't read the whole thread, but does the car have Aux in or Bluetooth?

If so, couldn't you just do your mixing in the car with a laptop?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 03/10/2018 11:18 AM, PStamler wrote:
When deciding how much reverb to add to a mix, I have a pretty simple technique:

1. Start out with no reverb.
2. Turn up the reverb until it sounds right.
3. Then turn it down 6dB from that point.

That sounds like a good method, although once accustomed to the 6dB down
level, it might replace it self as #2 which would make #3 detrimental.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 10/03/2018 8:43 AM, JBI wrote:
Been over a week now since using the recommended Presonus E5's and
Behringer 202.Â* While I'm finding it much easier to judge and correct
for proper equalization, anytime I try and manipulate either stereo
width, add reverb or similar, it never sounds very good in the car but
will sound good on these monitors.Â* Recommendations?

I think we need to get this straight again, 'cos I'm a bit confused.

Pick one or mo
1 - You want to master on speakers that are made to sound like things
did when listening in your car ?
2 - Destination listening environment is your car ?
3 - Destination listening environment is anywhere (everywhere) else ?
4 - You want to make things sound on hi-fi systems like stuff does in
your car ?
5 - You want to make the mastering results (for 'anywhere' listening
environments) sound like the resultant sound like it did when mastering
in your car ?
6 - You do not wish to adjust your technique to mastering on a system
that sounds simply as good as it can be, forgetting the car scenario
entirely ?

Or something else ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/12/2018 09:14 PM, geoff wrote:
On 10/03/2018 8:43 AM, JBI wrote:
Been over a week now since using the recommended Presonus E5's and
Behringer 202.Â* While I'm finding it much easier to judge and correct
for proper equalization, anytime I try and manipulate either stereo
width, add reverb or similar, it never sounds very good in the car but
will sound good on these monitors.Â* Recommendations?

I think we need to get this straight again, 'cos I'm a bit confused.

Pick one or mo
1 - You want to master on speakers that are made to sound like things
did when listening in your car ?

Yes, but since I have the speakers, I have found it much easier to
adjust the eq coming over the monitors to come much closer to how the
car sounds.

2 - Destination listening environment is your car ?

Pretty much as that's all I have (besides the recent new monitor
additions in the house).

3 - Destination listening environment is anywhere (everywhere) else ?

Not really, just the house now on the monitors or mostly in the car.

4 -Â* You want to make things sound on hi-fi systems like stuff does in
your car ?
5 - You want to make the mastering results (for 'anywhere' listening
environments) sound like the resultant sound like it did when mastering
in your car ?

Not sure what you mean by 4 & 5.

6 - You do not wish to adjust your technique to mastering on a system
that sounds simply as good as it can be, forgetting the car scenario
entirely ?

No, not entirely. These monitors have pretty much solved the issue of
mixing in the house to sound similar to the car. I can roughly add the
same amount of EQ I get in the car at the DAW output and, on these new
monitors, for the first time ever, the sound is close enough.

The only issue remaining is reverb/ echo and/or stereo. I'm finding it
hard to mimic what I hear in the house versus the car, but someone
earlier in the week suggested to adjust to what sounded good in the
house, then back off a certain amount of db. That seems to be the best
compromise. I don't think the car's ever going to sound any better
without better speakers or better placement.

Overall, I'm pretty happy now, and it certainly beats what I used to do
by dragging the laptop out to the car everytime I wanted to adjust EQ on
something or mix.

Or something else ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/13/2018 11:03 PM, JBI wrote:
6 - You do not wish to adjust your technique to mastering on a system
that sounds simply as good as it can be, forgetting the car scenario
entirely ?

No, not entirely.Â* These monitors have pretty much solved the issue of
mixing in the house to sound similar to the car.Â* I can roughly add the
same amount of EQ I get in the car at the DAW output and, on these new
monitors, for the first time ever, the sound is close enough.

So what you hear in the house (after EQ and other adjustments) sounds
like what you're accustomed to hearing in the car? And when you take
this mucked-up-to-sound-like-the-car mix out to the car, it still sounds
like you mixed it in the house? That would be odd. That sounds like
maybe you're taking out frequencies that the car environment emphasizes
- then in the car, there's nothing there (or rather less there) to
emphasize so it doesn't change much traveling from the house to the car.

The only issue remaining is reverb/ echo and/or stereo.Â* I'm finding it
hard to mimic what I hear in the house versus the car, but someone
earlier in the week suggested to adjust to what sounded good in the
house, then back off a certain amount of db.Â* That seems to be the best
compromise.Â* I don't think the car's ever going to sound any better
without better speakers or better placement.

The other thing about listening in the car is that if the left/right
balance is centered (in the car radio) and you're in the driver's seat,
you aren't hearing very much of what's in the right channel - neither
program material nor ambience. It won't be right either if you adjust
the radio's panning control (by 2000, most car radios did have one) so,
from your listening position, what's in the center sounds like it's in
the center, but it might give you a clue as to how to make an
"unbalanced" mix that will work better from where you're sitting while
driving.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote: "the radio's panning control (by 2000, most car radios did
have one) so,"

Are you referring to the BALANCE control?
Because every car I have ever riden in or
drove has had one of those, even cars from
the sixties. On the other hand, I have never
seen, in any post-2000 model I've been in,
a "panning" control. And we're taking Chevys,
Hyundais, Toyotas, Subarus, Hondas, you
name it.

As for what this guy is attempting to do, it sounds
like he wants to master stuff so it sounds great
from his position in the drivers seat of his daily
driver. So some advice for how to configure
the front seat area as a mastering suite while
parked might be helpful here.

He should be forewarned that such masters will
sound like CRAP anywhere else they are played,
except maybe in a car of identical make, year,
and model, with same sound system with same
tone/EQ settings.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/14/2018 08:11 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/13/2018 11:03 PM, JBI wrote:
6 - You do not wish to adjust your technique to mastering on a system
that sounds simply as good as it can be, forgetting the car scenario
entirely ?

No, not entirely.Â* These monitors have pretty much solved the issue of
mixing in the house to sound similar to the car.Â* I can roughly add
the same amount of EQ I get in the car at the DAW output and, on these
new monitors, for the first time ever, the sound is close enough.

So what you hear in the house (after EQ and other adjustments) sounds
like what you're accustomed to hearing in the car?Â* And when you take
this mucked-up-to-sound-like-the-car mix out to the car, it still sounds
like you mixed it in the house? That would be odd. That sounds like
maybe you're taking out frequencies that the car environment emphasizes
- then in the car, there's nothing there (or rather less there) to
emphasize so it doesn't change much traveling from the house to the car.

No, Mike, I should have clarified that I just have one of the EQ's in
the DAW adjusted as a plug-in. I disable it before saving the audio
file, then it sounds good in the car. I just use the plug in activated
while mixing on the monitors to get a feel for what the audio will sound
like in the vehicle, then turn it off before saving. I have the car MP3
player EQ already preadjusted.

[...]

I basically just have to be very gentle with the reverb/ stereo
settings. If I can just hear them on the house monitors, the result is
ok in the car but because of the imbalance as you mention, I really
don't hear either reverb or stereo that well. It's ok, much, much
better than it used to be!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 3/13/2018 11:03 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

the DAW adjusted as a plug-in.Â* I disable it before saving the audio
file, then it sounds good in the car.Â* I just use the plug in activated
while mixing on the monitors to get a feel for what the audio will sound
like in the vehicle, then turn it off before saving.

That makes sense !

Â* I have the car MP3
player EQ already preadjusted.

I assume this music that you are mastering is your own recording ?

So why not master stuff to sound 'good' anywhere, and leave the in-car
sound to be adjusted in the car, to your liking, as would any music you
may be hearing from other sources (radio, CD, downloads, etc) ?

Or if you are adjusting music from other sources, then why bother at all
- just readjust the EQ in you car listening environment instead ?

..

I basically just have to be very gentle with the reverb/ stereo
settings.Â* If I can just hear them on the house monitors, the result is
ok in the car but because of the imbalance as you mention, I really
don't hear either reverb or stereo that well.Â* It's ok, much, much
better than it used to be!

Don't know about your car, but road noise masks much subtlety unless I'm
listening way too loud, or parked up.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 3/13/2018 11:03 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

Â* I have the car MP3 player EQ already preadjusted.

I assume this music that you are mastering is your own recording ?

No, commercial, but you wouldn't believe what it was if I told you so
will leave it at that. All I'll say is that the topic alone could start
a new thread that lasts a year!

So why not master stuff to sound 'good' anywhere, and leave the in-car
sound to be adjusted in the car, to your liking, as would any music you
may be hearing from other sources (radio, CD, downloads, etc) ?

I think that's pretty much what I'm doing with the monitors in the
house. However, with this particular mix I have been manipulating,
there's no way I can master to a pink noise curve as the top end is just
too noisy.

Or if you are adjusting music from other sources, then why bother at all
- just readjust the EQ in you car listening environment instead ?

Almost all songs, from many albums, I remaster to have as equal a
frequency response as I can get (I just use EQ matching plug ins for
most of the matching). This has always been important in the car
because I can simply apply whatever EQ in the car once and not have to
touch it again. There is ONE exception and concerns the single track
that was responsible for me getting the monitors in the house.

.

I basically just have to be very gentle with the reverb/ stereo
settings.Â* If I can just hear them on the house monitors, the result
is ok in the car but because of the imbalance as you mention, I really
don't hear either reverb or stereo that well.Â* It's ok, much, much
better than it used to be!

Don't know about your car, but road noise masks much subtlety unless I'm
listening way too loud, or parked up.

I listen pretty loud and like a lot of bass. In fact, it surprises
folks how much bass a simple cassette adapter set up has until I reveal
a headphone amp ahead of the MP3 player, with the amp set for high bass.
Makes a big difference.

It's fun to play around with audio files and music, etc, but I would
never want to try doing it for a living because I would never be
satisfied with the results and would end up losing much $.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 15/03/2018 10:10 AM, JBI wrote:

I listen pretty loud and like a lot of bass.Â* In fact, it surprises
folks how much bass a simple cassette adapter set up has until I reveal
a headphone amp ahead of the MP3 player, with the amp set for high bass.
Â*Makes a big difference.

Only semi-related to your situation ..... I find a sub (small
'under-seat' variety makes casual recreational car-listening far more
satisfactory, because one can hear the bass without the door-speakers
overloading, and keep the overall level down to something sensible.

Mine has a remote sub level (or 'Volume' for Thekma's benefit) to
partially compensate for varying sources, ie typical FM station versus
'pure' CD/ Ipod (lossless), or other unfriggedwith sound.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/14/2018 05:46 PM, geoff wrote:
On 15/03/2018 10:10 AM, JBI wrote:

I listen pretty loud and like a lot of bass.Â* In fact, it surprises
folks how much bass a simple cassette adapter set up has until I
reveal a headphone amp ahead of the MP3 player, with the amp set for
high bass. Â*Â*Makes a big difference.

Only semi-related to your situation ..... I find a sub (small
'under-seat' variety makes casual recreational car-listening far more
satisfactory, because one can hear the bass without the door-speakers
overloading, and keep the overall level down to something sensible.

Interesting, never thought about that. I doubt I could ever get one to
work with the existing factory radio system though. It definitely would
lessen the strain on the OEM speakers, however.

Mine has a remote sub level (or 'Volume' for Thekma's benefit) to
partially compensate for varying sources, ie typical FM station versus
'pure' CD/ Ipod (lossless), or other unfriggedwith sound.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 3/14/2018 9:10 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

Hmm, so I'm guessing you've never done a MLSSA or any other
analysis of your listening space. Do you even have a clue about
the frequency response of your car's sound system?
~~
From what you've described thus far it seems you are dealing
with a rather limited and quite quirky space. The more you know
about that space the better you'll be equipped to deal with it.
--
==
Later...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 15/03/2018 2:10 PM, JBI wrote:

Interesting, never thought about that.Â* I doubt I could ever get one to
work with the existing factory radio system though.Â* It definitely would
lessen the strain on the OEM speakers, however.

Most, in addition to a line-level input, you can also tap a high-level
signal off the existing speakers.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/14/2018 09:45 PM, Ron C wrote:
On 3/14/2018 9:10 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

Actually, I've been considering that. Roughly, the car offers low bass
and high treble and I have always adjusted the EQ in the opposite
direction to compensate. Not perfect, but decent enough.

~~
From what you've described thus far it seems you are dealing
with a rather limited and quite quirky space. The more you know
about that space the better you'll be equipped to deal with it.

Very limited, it's an old Mercury Sable car. Two front and two rear
speakers. The radio offers no EQ other than simple bass/ treble
controls, so freq adjustments mainly come from either the MP3 player's
built in EQ, which I can adjust, and/or the headphone amp I have
following it (but really all the amp has is an "extra bass" switch).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 15/03/2018 4:11 PM, JBI wrote:

Very limited, it's an old Mercury Sable car.* Two front and two rear
speakers.* The radio offers no EQ other than simple bass/ treble
controls, so freq adjustments mainly come from either the MP3 player's
built in EQ, which I can adjust, and/or the headphone amp I have
following it (but really all the amp has is an "extra bass" switch).

What happens if you change your car ?

Instead of all this palaver, why not simply buy a better car stereo with
more comprehensive EQ ? They are dirt-cheap these days.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/15/2018 4:25 AM, geoff wrote:
Instead of all this palaver, why not simply buy a better car stereo with
more comprehensive EQ ? They are dirt-cheap these days.

That depends on how young, agile, and mechanically inclined you are. I
looked into replacing the radio in my 2003 Lexus ES-300 (a Toyota Camry
with better seats) in order to listen to HD broadcast when one of the
few stations I listened to in the car dropped their low power analog FM
transmitter and only broadcast that programming on one of their digital
channels.

There's no way I'd fit myself into the places I'd have to go in order to
remove the original radio and install a new one. I could buy a perfectly
reasonable one for about $100 but the shop told me that installation
would cost about $250. I figured that anything I've never done before
and didn't know how to do, that cost $250 worth of labor, wasn't
something I wanted to try. So I started listening to another station.

Like JBI, I, too, use a cassette adapter for playing audio from my phone
or MP3 player when I'm on a long drive. A new radio would give me the
opportunity to replace that signal path with Bluetooth - I don't know if
that's better or worse audio-wise (probably better) but it would be less
haywire. Still, I decided that I'd wait to change radios when I changed
cars, if the car ever wears out.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote: "Balance, panning, whatever. I know you're prone
to disagreement, so you're probably thinking that "panning" means
that when you turn the knob all the way to the left, the right channel
goes off entirely and the left channel goes up 2.5 to 6 dB from the
centered position."

I actually thought panning is what you
called them in cars! I'll have to listen
to mine while leaning over my car's
center console and turning the balance
from one side to the other, and see
if the side 'panned' toward actually
gets louder.

Another issue is, in my car, the polarity
on the non-radio sources(CD and Aux
In) is reversed to one side - supposedly
for time-arrival purposes. This was not
the case in my older vehicles. I verified
that the phantom center for mono AM
& FM is solid, where as the phantom for
mono CDs or spoken MP3 is vague.

Of course you wouldn't notice it when
seated properly in driver or passenger
location.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/15/2018 07:07 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/15/2018 4:25 AM, geoff wrote:
Instead of all this palaver, why not simply buy a better car stereo
with more comprehensive EQ ? They are dirt-cheap these days.

Like JBI, I, too, use a cassette adapter for playing audio from my phone

or MP3 player when I'm on a long drive. A new radio would give me the
opportunity to replace that signal path with Bluetooth - I don't know if
that's better or worse audio-wise (probably better) but it would be less
haywire. Still, I decided that I'd wait to change radios when I changed
cars, if the car ever wears out.

Exactly. I recently looked into radio replacement. It would have
required a dash kit, which seems to start around $50, plus the radio
that would at the very least have to have auxiliary input for either my
MP3 player out or have USB. The lowest end ones start at $50, and most
of those seem to have poor reviews. And I'm not even counting a speaker
change.

On this 18 year old car, it's better if I keep the radio as-is and work
with what I have. Mike helped solve the biggest issue with suggestions
on in house monitors, which I sprung for, and I definitely don't regret
it. It is the single best change I have made in helping achieve my goal
of having better sounding audio in the car. I have pointed out the
minor quirks I still have, but far less troublesome than the almost
blind EQ process I'd do in the house on headphones, then hope it would
match the car. Never happened.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Another issue is, in my car, the polarity
on the non-radio sources(CD and Aux
In) is reversed to one side - supposedly
for time-arrival purposes. This was not
the case in my older vehicles. I verified
that the phantom center for mono AM
& FM is solid, where as the phantom for
mono CDs or spoken MP3 is vague.

If the polarity is not consistent between L and R
I'd say there is a design or wiring error or something is broke.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote: "If the polarity is not consistent between
L and R I'd say there is a design or wiring error or something is broke. "

Everything is factory, and I bought the car
with low mileage as a 'retiree' from a car
rental company.

And I did mention that it affected CD and
Aux only, just like miswiring one speaker.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 16/03/2018 12:07 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

That's what I thought, until I googled "replace toyota caldina radio',
which showed simply popping the panel off, and undoing 3 screws. Didn't
have to bend at all. At worst, apart from the radio/CD/whatever, you may
need a wiring loom adaptor harness for about $10.

I chose a Panasonic radio/CD/iPod/Aux one. Aoart from other stuff that
you wouldn't want to attempt while driving, it has easy Vol and iPod
track controls accessible from remote. Has 6 bands of EQ, subwoofer
output controls (incl. main speaker HPF), but was around $150 US (new
from shop). Much cheaper now that current ones have DAB and Bluetooth,
but I don't need that.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/15/2018 3:38 PM, geoff wrote:

That's what I thought, until I googled "replace toyota caldina radio',
which showed simply popping the panel off, and undoing 3 screws. Didn't
have to bend at all. At worst, apart from the radio/CD/whatever, you may
need a wiring loom adaptor harness for about $10.

After reading a couple of instructions and watching a video (for one
model year older than mine, but looks about the same), I decided that if
it was going to be done, it would be done by a professional. After all,
you wouldn't let JBI mix and master your next big hit would you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL8WFbq23H8

One thing you'll notice if you look at the video (even just long enough
to see what the dashboard looks like) is that the radio is in a 2-unit
high panel space with most of the controls in the space below the
display. All of the replacement radios that I looked at were 1-space
high with all the controls scrunched up into one space. The installation
kit includes a new panel that's blank for the lower third or so. It
looks unfinished and ugly, and the controls for the radio aren't
conducive for operation without looking at them. Sorry, but I like knobs
and big buttons.

But I suppose the next car I get will have all of its controls on a
touch screen, which I dislike greatly, with rocker switches on the
steering wheel to adjust the volume and do things I don't want to do.

Given the age, I don't worry about the resale value of the car, but I'd
rather not have a wreck while trying to change stations or adjust the
volume. "Honest, officer, I wasn't texting while I was driving, I was
just trying to get NPR on my car radio."

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/15/2018 04:35 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
After all,
you wouldn't let JBI mix and master your next big hit would you?

I wouldn't do it myself. Now if someone wanted to purchase high end
monitors with subwoofer, a properly treated studio, and PC's with Pro
Tools for starters plus a year of mixing just for practice only THEN
might I take that task on plus whatever I would charge of course.

I think if I ever got into this business for anyone other than myself,
the first thing I'd go for is Pro Tools, no ifs, ands, or buts! That and
some Cedar modules to go along with it.

Just dreaming of course.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 16/03/2018 9:58 AM, JBI wrote:
On 03/15/2018 04:35 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
After all, you wouldn't let JBI mix and master your next big hit would
you?

I wouldn't do it myself.* Now if someone wanted to purchase high end
monitors with subwoofer, a properly treated studio, and PC's with Pro
Tools for starters plus a year of mixing just for practice only THEN
might I take that task on plus whatever I would charge of course.

High-end monitors shouldn't need a subwoofer, unless you are mixing
Earthquake 5 or something.

I think if I ever got into this business for anyone other than myself,
the first thing I'd go for is Pro Tools, no ifs, ands, or buts! That and
some Cedar modules to go along with it.

Just dreaming of course.

Much better things around than SlowTools.

geoff