Posted to rec.audio.pro
1961Humbucker1 1961Humbucker1 is offline

Default Paging Mr.Mike Rivers or others. For info on Mackie 8 ChannelMaster Control. (older model, all black, MIDI, non USB).

Hi guys,

I was given a tip from somebody on another forum that Mike Rivers on this forum might have some info in regards to my question but if anybody else would care to chime in please do.

A buddy of mine aquired an older model(all black in colour) Mackie 8 Channel Master Control a few years ago, it's just MIDI and not USB but the wall adapter was missing and he never did manage to get a replacement for it. So, he turned around and gave it to me, I got it free which is awesome but it's totally useless without the external power supply.

There's no model number anywhere on the controller or even on the cardboard box that it came in, a bit weird. So if somebody here can help me figure out what I should be buying for a replacement that would be super appreciated.

BTW. Here is a YouTube video that shows the model that I know own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwqtSSJSgvE

The info on the box lists all the DAWs that it can be used with and there's a bunch of them. Pro Tools is listed at the very top but there is a note that says:
"visit www.mackie.com for details on the Free pro Tools Compatability Kit"

But that was so long ago that that page doesn't exist anymore over at the Mackie website. And it looks like they don't offer any support for discontinued products. I did send them an email but I'm not going to hold my breath expecting an answer from them to be honest.

Maybe there's something that can be downloaded from Avid for this purpose?

I'm not a tech savvy person in this kind of thing so I'm hoping that somebody here can chime in with some advice.

If I could at least track down a power supply for it, it might work with Pro Tools 12.7.1 right out of the gate without having to chase down some kind of download to get the MIDI mapping to work correctly.

It would be awesome to get this thing set up in my little studio, it's quite a high quality looking piece of gear.

Any help with this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/7/2018 7:17 AM, 1961Humbucker1 wrote:
A buddy of mine aquired an older model(all black in colour) Mackie 8 Channel Master Control a few years ago, it's just MIDI and not USB but the wall adapter was missing and he never did manage to get a replacement for it. So, he turned around and gave it to me, I got it free which is awesome but it's totally useless without the external power supply.

There's no model number anywhere on the controller or even on the cardboard box that it came in, a bit weird. So if somebody here can help me figure out what I should be buying for a replacement that would be super appreciated.

I don't know much about Mackie control surfaces, but can you give a
better description or post a photo of it? Does it have meters and a
scroll wheel? No meters or scroll wheel but transport controls and a
bunch of buttons (and faders)? Just faders and nothing else?

Are you sure it's a Mackie? There weren't many of them that were black,
most were gray or brown. Does it have a barrel-type power socket like on
most wall warts, or a multi-pin socket?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 8:17:53 AM UTC-4, 1961Humbucker1 wrote:
[...]

Here are some internet pictures, they are virtually the same as what I have save mine has Steinberg, Cubase-SX, Nuendo written at the top right right next to the Mackie logo.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nAwAA...GxF/s-l960.jpg

https://c1.zzounds.com/media/fit,201...d193df4ba4.jpg

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...0kQx0jbzpg.jpg

Regular 9VDC barrel style plug is required.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 10:46:11 AM UTC-4, 1961Humbucker1 wrote:
[...]

Here is an internet pic of the back of this controller:

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...5qeubnsmhf.jpg
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 10:52:08 AM UTC-4, 1961Humbucker1 wrote:
[...]

Just noticed that on the original packing box it says Mackie 2002, so this might have been the very first version of this product, it's pretty old.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/02/2018 12:17, 1961Humbucker1 wrote:

It would be awesome to get this thing set up in my little studio, it's quite a high quality looking piece of gear.

Any help with this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

If this is the right manual, the picture on page 8 says 7.5 volts,
centre positive at anything between 3 and 4 Amps, which might be hard to
find. If you buy a universal one, it will have number of tips, one of
which will fit.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/54...?page=8#manual

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 11:19:03 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 07/02/2018 12:17, 1961Humbucker1 wrote:

It would be awesome to get this thing set up in my little studio, it's quite a high quality looking piece of gear.

Any help with this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

If this is the right manual, the picture on page 8 says 7.5 volts,
centre positive at anything between 3 and 4 Amps, which might be hard to
find. If you buy a universal one, it will have number of tips, one of
which will fit.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/54...?page=8#manual

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Thanks a bunch John! That's very interesting and a little bit concerning too. Yeah, might be a problem trying to locate something that will work with this thing. 7.5 VDC and 3-4 amps Wow! Now that's a pretty hefty power supply!

I hope that I can find something. I can't understand how people manage to lose these things, sheesh............
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/02/2018 15:29, 1961Humbucker1 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 11:19:03 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
I hope that I can find something. I can't understand how people manage to lose these things, sheesh............

I can. I have a few bits of kit that I can't find the original wall
warts for, so I use universal ones instead.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

1961Humbucker1 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 11:19:03 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
If this is the right manual, the picture on page 8 says 7.5 volts,
centre positive at anything between 3 and 4 Amps, which might be hard to
find. If you buy a universal one, it will have number of tips, one of
which will fit.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/54...?page=8#manual

Thanks a bunch John! That's very interesting and a little bit concerning too. Yeah, might be a problem trying to locate something that will work with this thing. 7.5 VDC and 3-4 amps Wow! Now that's a pretty hefty power supply!

Not really. We live in the modern era of switching supplies now. Triad
makes a bunch.

Here's what you get if you go to Digi-key and select 7.5V, 3A or higher,
in stock, positive center:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...=0&pageSize=25

So from this you get to select if you want 2.1mm or 2.5mm plugs (and I don't
know which the Mackie wants) and whether you want the universal supply that
can be configured to use non-US blades.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
1961Humbucker1 1961Humbucker1 is offline

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 12:27:13 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
1961Humbucker1 :
[...]

Many thanks Scott, you're a huge help!

BTW, as I'm in Canada, I prefer to buy within the country rather than get a nasty surprise when the courier guy shows up and has a lovely "brokerage fee" for me to pay on top of everything else.

So here is what I think I might need from Digi-Key Canada:

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?keywords=237-1391-ND

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/7/2018 9:46 AM, 1961Humbucker1 wrote:
Here are some internet pictures, they are virtually the same as what I have save mine has Steinberg, Cubase-SX, Nuendo written at the top right right next to the Mackie logo.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nAwAA...GxF/s-l960.jpg

Oh, that's a Mackie Control (just like it says on the front panel).
Although Mackie discontinued it several years ago, they still think
enough of it to have have had one in their booth at the NAMM show for
their DAW setup demo.

It's still useful, and offers both MCU and HUI control. Nearly all
modern DAWs support one or both of those, so setup is easy. This is the
quick start guide for it:

https://supportloudtech.netx.net/lou...category/16060

As far as I know, it doesn't require a driver, just plug it in and a DAW
should recognize it. Here's the power supply info:

Model No. SB-074A0F-11
APX Technologies (Hicksville, NY)
Input: 100-250v (47-63 Hz, 0.8A)
Output: 7.5v, 4.0A
Inside: Positive (+)
Outside: Negative (-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/02/2018 7:22 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/7/2018 9:46 AM, 1961Humbucker1 wrote:
Here are some internet pictures, they are virtually the same as what I
have save mine has Steinberg,Â* Cubase-SX, Nuendo written at the top
[...]

No driver required - just support from the DAW talking to it. However
the MIDI interface it is attached to will of course require a driver,
and both will likely require specifying in the DAW setup.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 5:53:24 PM UTC-4, Geoff wrote:
[...]

Man, Mike and Geoff, you guys are super helpful. So thank you very much in helping me track down the proper power supply! I couldn't have gotten this far without your help.

Cheers,
Charlie
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/02/2018 3:00 PM, 1961Humbucker1 wrote:
[...]

Actually not helped by Mackie's somewhat vague naming which seems to
differ depending where you lokk for (maybe) the same item.

I have one, and am not sure if it is a Mackie Control, or a Mackie
Control Universal (aka MCU). Or if they are the same thing. And if it is
'Pro' or not !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/7/2018 9:16 PM, Geoff wrote:
I have one, and am not sure if it is a Mackie Control, or a Mackie
Control Universal (aka MCU). Or if they are the same thing. And if it is
'Pro' or not !

Different versions of the same thing. The Pro has better faders. I think
that MCU is the designation for the control protocol.

Mike Rivers Dash Pro Audio 2 December 29th 17 08:20 AM
Hey mike rivers Nate Najar Pro Audio 2 June 17th 15 04:48 AM
Mike Rivers: Is this you? Bob Quintal Pro Audio 1 September 7th 06 12:38 PM
A click for Mike Rivers apa Pro Audio 0 May 27th 04 07:26 PM
Paging Mr. Mike Rivers... Robin Pro Audio 0 September 24th 03 02:07 AM