Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Default Bad Example

Hi folks:

I found a particularly egregious example of dynamic-range squashing yesterday. It comes from a couple of years ago; it's the Bob Dylan "Artist's Choice" CD, issued by Starbucks.

I had played it on the radio Sunday afternoon, and had to jump for the fader as it was cut way louder than most CDs. In the hopes that I could have that not happen again (I want to play another track from the disc next Sunday), I ripped the disc to hard drive qnd started looking at levels and adjusting. Most of the tracks on the disc had an equivalent 0vu level of -3dBFS. Yes, really, -3dBFS. Peak levels were -0.26dBFS, for a net peak-to-average of 2.74dB. I've seen discs that were slammed before, but this is the worst in my experience.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 3:37:43 PM UTC-4, PStamler wrote:
Hi folks:

I found a particularly egregious example of dynamic-range squashing yesterday. It comes from a couple of years ago; it's the Bob Dylan "Artist's Choice" CD, issued by Starbucks.

I had played it on the radio Sunday afternoon, and had to jump for the fader as it was cut way louder than most CDs. In the hopes that I could have that not happen again (I want to play another track from the disc next Sunday), I ripped the disc to hard drive qnd started looking at levels and adjusting. Most of the tracks on the disc had an equivalent 0vu level of -3dBFS.. Yes, really, -3dBFS. Peak levels were -0.26dBFS, for a net peak-to-average of 2.74dB. I've seen discs that were slammed before, but this is the worst in my experience.

Peace,
Paul

Used to find Starbuck's "Hear Music" CDs in a cheapy bin. Figured they were just garbage.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/29/2017 3:37 PM, PStamler wrote:
Most of the tracks on the disc had an equivalent 0vu level of -3dBFS. Yes, really, -3dBFS. Peak levels were -0.26dBFS, for a net peak-to-average of 2.74dB. I've seen discs that were slammed before, but this is the worst in my experience.

That's so they can play it at Starbucks and never have to touch the
volume control in spite of all the hissing of steam and clanking of cups.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 12:37:37 -0700 (PDT), PStamler
wrote:

Hi folks:

I found a particularly egregious example of dynamic-range squashing yesterday. It comes from a couple of years ago; it's the Bob Dylan "Artist's Choice" CD, issued by Starbucks.

I had played it on the radio Sunday afternoon, and had to jump for the fader as it was cut way louder than most CDs. In the hopes that I could have that not happen again (I want to play another track from the disc next Sunday), I ripped the disc to hard drive qnd started looking at levels and adjusting. Most of the tracks on the disc had an equivalent 0vu level of -3dBFS. Yes, really, -3dBFS. Peak levels were -0.26dBFS, for a net peak-to-average of 2.74dB. I've seen discs that were slammed before, but this is the worst in my experience.

Peace,
Paul

All is not lost, some UK artists at least are resisting the square
wave. Take a look at this recent release (Lost it all) from Birdy, a
rather talented singer.

http://www.soundthoughts.co.uk/look/birdy.png

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 30/08/2017 7:37 AM, PStamler wrote:
Hi folks:

I found a particularly egregious example of dynamic-range squashing
yesterday. It comes from a couple of years ago; it's the Bob Dylan
"Artist's Choice" CD, issued by Starbucks.

I had played it on the radio Sunday afternoon, and had to jump for
the fader as it was cut way louder than most CDs. In the hopes that I
could have that not happen again (I want to play a\

Themanka is hardening up already !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

2014, Universal Music, Japan, fancy SHM (Super High Quality Material) bull, this is the "mastering" you get of the group, The Grass Roots...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/heavenknows.jpg

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

All is not lost, some UK artists at least are resisting the square
wave.

"resist the square wave"

i like it!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

PStamler wrote: "I found a particularly egregious example of dynamic-range squashing yesterday. It comes from a couple of years ago; it's the Bob Dylan "Artist's Choice" CD, issued by Starbucks. "

SHHHHH! You'll break 'N's heart!

Seriously thoughm that's why I still hold on to my 'first round' CDs and compilations of Dylan and other artists, "inferior early converters" be damned!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Geoff wrote: "
could have that not happen again (I want to play a\

Themanka is hardening up already !

geoff "

Yeah, and from your tone ever since I've brought it up
it seems as though you condone this nonsense!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Geoff wrote: "Not in the slightest. But I do take exception to your apparent theory
that anything recently 'remastered' suffers from hyper-compression. "

Depends on how recently is defined.
I'd venture at least half of all reissues
sold as 'remastered' from the late
1990s to mid-2000s suffered the
sausage treatment.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote: "- show quoted text -
All is not lost, some UK artists at least are resisting the square
wave. Take a look at this recent release (Lost it all) from Birdy, a
rather talented singer.

http://www.soundthoughts.co.uk/look/birdy.png

d "

That could represent any mid-'70s
top-40/Pop charter! It actually breathed!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

By the way, the Bob Dylan "Artist's Choice" album wasn't comprised of recordings *by* Mr. Dylan, but blues, country, jazz and pop pieces *curated* by him.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

themanka wrote in message

Geoff wrote: "
could have that not happen again (I want to play a\

Themanka is hardening up already !

geoff "

Yeah, and from your tone ever since I've brought it up
it seems as though you condone this nonsense!

That's not based on anyone's tone. It's based on your retarded obsession.
KFDS.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thickmoron wrote in message

Geoff wrote: "Not in the slightest. But I do take exception to your
apparent theory
that anything recently 'remastered' suffers from hyper-compression. "

Depends on how recently is defined.
I'd venture at least half of all reissues
sold as 'remastered' from the late
1990s to mid-2000s suffered the
sausage treatment.

You've got a thing for sausages, don't you, li'l buddy? But it's never about
the sound in your world it's all about the scary sausages you see on your
screen. You never seem to listen to music, you just look at the pictures.
LKHFS.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Theckmama ( dumb**** @ shortbus.edu ) the brain damaged retard, wrote in
message ...

SHHHHH! You'll break 'N's heart!

It's obvious how you contracted brain cancer, li'l Krissie. Your colon
cancer spread to your brain through direct physical contact. That's one of
the (many) reasons that youre an unemployable retard with no friends. KSFH
YWKMWFHM? KNFS! FCKWAFA! Try not to drool on your shoes, li'l buddy. SKF.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

PStamler wrote: "By the way, the Bob Dylan "Artist's Choice" album wasn't comprised of recordings *by* Mr. Dylan, but blues,
country, jazz and pop pieces *curated* by him.

Peace,
Paul "

Oh! Well that probably explains the treatment you
described the tracks receiving in your original post.
I could never imagine *his* tracks being 'remastered'
to that extent.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 3/09/2017 12:21 AM, None wrote:
thickmoron wrote in message

Geoff wrote: "Not in the slightest. But I do take exception to your
apparent theory
that anything recently 'remastered' suffers from hyper-compression. "

Depends on how recently is defined.
I'd venture at least half of all reissues
sold as 'remastered' from the late
1990s to mid-2000s suffered the
sausage treatment.

You've got a thing for sausages, don't you, li'l buddy? But it's never
about the sound in your world it's all about the scary sausages you see
on your screen. You never seem to listen to music, you just look at the
pictures. LKHFS.

And 'scrolled in' far enough a track wih huge dynamic range can look
sausagey. Especially if there are frequent peaks, possibly exacerbated
by peak limiting, or not. Scrolled it out and see what is between those
peaks.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: - show quoted text -
"And 'scrolled in' far enough a track wih huge dynamic range can look
sausagey. Especially if there are frequent peaks, possibly exacerbated
by peak limiting, or not. Scrolled it out and see what is between those
peaks. "

Good point, but I reworded it so it makes more sense:

"And ZOOMED OUT far enough a track wih huge dynamic range
can look sausagey. Especially if there are frequent peaks, possibly
exacerbated by peak limiting, or not. ZOOM BACK IN and see what
is between those peaks."
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
You've got a thing for sausages, don't you, li'l buddy? But it's never
about the sound in your world it's all about the scary sausages you see
on your screen. You never seem to listen to music, you just look at the
pictures. LKHFS.

And 'scrolled in' far enough a track wih huge dynamic range can look
sausagey. Especially if there are frequent peaks, possibly exacerbated by
peak limiting, or not. Scrolled it out and see what is between those
peaks.

ThickSkull never could grasp the difference between a waveform and an
envelope, anyway. He used to whine about his ignorance, and throw tantrums.
Poor li'l retard does have a thing for sausage-fests, though!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

dumb**** @ tardsRthemamanka drooled:
"And ZOOMED OUT far enough a track wih huge dynamic range
can look sausagey. Especially if there are frequent peaks, possibly
exacerbated by peak limiting, or not. ZOOM BACK IN and see what

i s between those peaks."

But still, with you, it's all about how it looks, and whether you can
imagine looking at a sausage. No have no idea what it sounds like, probably
because you're mentally defective.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

None wrote:

ThickSkull never could grasp the difference between a waveform and an
envelope, anyway. He used to whine about his ignorance, and throw tantrums.
Poor li'l retard does have a thing for sausage-fests, though!

This is a lot of the problem, but he isn't alone in this. And sadly the
authors of most of the software don't make the point at all. There is
some software which will abruptly switch from envelope to waveform as you
zoom in enough, with no indication that what you're seeing is suddenly
very different.

Which, of course, is why we have combined peak and average metering....
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote: "
This is a lot of the problem, but he isn't alone in this. And sadly the
authors of most of the software don't make the point at all. There is
some software which will abruptly switch from envelope to waveform as you
zoom in enough, with no indication that what you're seeing is suddenly
very different.

Which, of course, is why we have combined peak and average metering....
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres "

Scott: Do you always talk to machines(spam bots)?

If some of you would let down your pomposity you'd
realize I understand a lot more of this audio stuff
than you give credit for.

And of course there is no specific point
when viewing a piece of audio it becomes
a waveform or an envelope. It's really
subjective, but if you can still make out
peaks and valleys it's a waveform. When
those peaks and valleys converge, it's
an evelope. That transition can occur
at different zoom levels with different
software and on monitors of differing
resolution.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

themkamakaa, the idiot retard, spewed:
Scott: Do you always talk to machines(spam bots)?

Did your mama stuff your head up your asshole when you were young, before
she locked you in the suitcase that your papa threw down the stairs? That
might explain your brain damage as well as your fondness for suitcases, and
jamming your head through your anal sphincter.

If some of you would let down your pomposity you'd
realize I understand a lot more of this audio stuff
than you give credit for.

You've given ample evidence of your abject ignorance, as well as your
inability to learn. It's not anyone else's pomposity, it's your own
retardation, which you've put on display just recently in this very thread.
I guess that's what happens when your mama folds you in half and stuffs you
in a suitcase and your papa throws the case down the stairs. That must have
really sucked, and it let to a lifelong cranial disability. You can pretend
that you understand, but at the same time, you prove that you don't
understand. And you keep doing it over and over again. You never learn, but
that's your biography.

It's also probably why you have such a defective personality, and why you
are unemployable as well as friendless. It must suck going through life as a
retarded dumb ****, but I think you make it worse by constantly smearing
your own **** all over yourself on Usenet, and making such a stink.
FCKWAFRA. FDSKN? FSKNE! YB!