Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Presson[_2_] Ed Presson[_2_] is offline

Default Music Matters

Did any RAHE contributors (besides me) attend Definitive Audio's "Music
Matters" evening of high-end audio demonstrations (held in Seattle)? I'd be
curious about your reactions to
the demonstrations, especially those that swapped out cables, power cables
,etc.

Ed Presson

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 7:53:15 PM UTC-4, Ed Presson wrote:
Did any RAHE contributors (besides me) attend Definitive Audio's "Music
Matters" evening of high-end audio demonstrations (held in Seattle)? I'd be
curious about your reactions to
the demonstrations, especially those that swapped out cables, power cables
,etc.

Ed Presson

I did not. Seattle is about as far as it gets from us in the Continental US.. But, what was your impression?

I will state that for an organization of this nature to survive for over 40 years *and* operate three locations is remarkable to the point that they must be doing something right and clearly are not entirely based on snake-oil and blather. Even in the coffee-hyped Pacific Northwest.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message ...

[...]

My impression of Definitive Audio's Music Matters 12 is rather undigested.
There were six demo rooms set up with varying demos, and there were about
80,000 (it seemed) mostly middle-aged audiophiles struggling to go from demo
to demo. These 20-minute demos were staggered with half the rooms starting
on the half-hour and the other half starting at x:15 and x:45. This timing
was to allow for movement in and out of the rooms, and to get in line for
the next demo. I heard four of the six demos before tiring of the masses
and staggering into the street. These we
1. Wilson Audio Alexx speakers powered by four D'Agostino Momentum 400
Watt monoblock with Audioquest cables and power conditioner. There was also
a massive turntable on its own four foot high stand from a manufacturer
whose name I forgot. As I recall the total price of the basic system was
close the half a million bucks. First, the cable guy demonstrated the
effect of going from a "normal" power cable to their power conditioner with
a mass of garden-hose sized cables. Yes, I heard a difference; but I also
had no visibility of how honest the test really was. Peter McGrath, Wilson
Audio Director of Sales used some of his own recordings of live classical
music in very impressive demos. The turntable guy then used some new and
used LPs that had been scrupulously cleaned. Very impressive Most of the
music, however, was not classical. Certainly the sound in this room was the
most dramatically impressive; projected with immense power. Somehow, the
music seemed unreal; which is the reaction I've had to the few Wilson
speakers I've heard. Enormously dramatic and impressive to be sure, but not
something I was drawn to.

2. The next room was devoted to Bower & Wilkins speakers (sorry, don't
remember the model, but not the highest diamond speaker) powered by Classe
amps. The emphasis was on B&W's newest subwoofers upon which was placed a
glass of wine to show that not a ripple occurred during massive bass output
(shades of Infiniti auto ads of yore).

3. The third room I visited was devoted to Linn equipment, using Linn
speakers and Linn master recordings of classical music to demonstrate the
difference between the previous electronic digital processing software and
their newest upgrade. I was not terribly impressed with the speakers, but
they did convey the differences between the two generations of the hardware.
This demo was hosted by Gilad Tiefenbrun, who is (I think) the son of the
founder of the company and now managing director. He made the point that is
company policy that all their products are designed to be upgraded as they
refine them.

4. The last room was devoted to Goldenear speakers powered by McIntosh
equipment. They clearly identified themselves as producing excellent
quality, but affordable products. And that's what the demo showed: mighty
good sound at not-insane prices. A lot of time was spend on the quality
construction of the two lines.

I was almost impossible for me to judge how "honest" the demos were; that
is, how fairly the reps were being with the equipment swaps. However, I can
say that the quality of the sound was high, as was the food that Definitive
provided to the audiophiles struggling from room to room. Most of the
presenters said that Definitive was one of the very few sponsors of such an
evening in the whole country, and that we were fortunate to have them here
in Seattle. My impression was that Definitive was trying their very best to
give us listeners a fine evening of sound.

Ed Presson

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
abbeynormal abbeynormal is offline

wish I could have attended.