Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Audio Editing Software

Most of my editing these days is 1 to 4 hour long mono and stereo wav files.
It's necessary to edit down to the sample level to get rid of lip smacks and
such. Adobe Audition 1.5 does a fabulous job for the application, but it doesn't
like Windows 7. (It works, but it switches screen modes and requires
authorization to run each time.)

Maybe it's time to consider new software. Pro Tools is overkill. What about Sony
Sound Forge? On a few occasions, I work in multi-track mode, but it's not frequent.

I'm also considering Reaper, but it's not quite as intuitive as I thought it
would be. I'm sure I'd get use to it with enough practice.

The best and fastest two-track editor I ever used was FastEdit by Minnetonka
Audio Software. It's too expensive for what you get, and I'm not convinced that
development is ongoing. They had a real problem transitioning from 16 bit to 32
bit.

What would you recommend?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gjsmo gjsmo is offline

On Oct 22, 10:19*am, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

Are you literally JUST cutting up audio? Or do you want VSTs etc.?
Audacity is free, it'll do destructive editing with VST support.
Sonar (my DAW of choice) seems to work quite well. If you do a cut,
you can drag out the edges of the cut later... kind of nice. Not sure
if that's a standard feature or not.
Supposedly Logic is good for this stuff. I know it's similar to
GarageBand, which is VERY intuitive.
Or do what I did - I installed Windows XP on a separate hard drive
from my main Windows 7 installation. I use the XP install for all
things audio - it has much better support.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:19:20 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

I would recommend that you download XP for Windows 7 - an emulator you
can get free from Microsoft. With that you can run a virtual XP
machine within the Win7 machine, and run all of the good 32 bit stuff
that no longer functions.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:19:20 -0400, wrote:

[...]

VMLite is a lot easier to use.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:00:10 -0500, Les Cargill
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
[...]

Easier than one button push?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
[...]

There's more to it than just a button push.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
[...]

Well, sure you have to install it, but after that - one button push
and it is running.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 22 Oct 2011, mcp6453 wrote in rec.audio.pro:

Most of my editing these days is 1 to 4 hour long mono and stereo
wav files. It's necessary to edit down to the sample level to get
rid of lip smacks and such. Adobe Audition 1.5 does a fabulous job
for the application, but it doesn't like Windows 7. (It works, but
it switches screen modes and requires authorization to run each
time.)

I haven't tried it in Windows 7, but Audition 1.5 works well in Windows
Vista. If you install it to a location other than '\Program Files' you
can avoid the authorization nags. Nothing you can do about the display
mode issue, though.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/22/2011 10:42 AM, gjsmo wrote:
[...]

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll take a look.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/22/2011 10:52 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link. Is there much of a performance hit from using a virtual
machine? I have no objections to sticking with Audition 1.5, although the day is
coming when I need to be doing something else.

There is a license for Sound Forge lying around here somewhere, but I'm not sure
where. Too much crap in this place.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:57:53 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure how it would do for audio. I use it for some old
Mathematical software I don't want to update. Obviously there are
performance compromises over the native system - only 500MB of RAM
available for a start. But give it a go - it won't cost you.

Personally I love Audition, everything feels to be in the right place
as far as I am concerned. I will certainly not be upgrading to the
latest version, though, which seems to have had all the most valuable
features deleted. If you do decide to upgrade you old Audition, go for
version 3.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

I'd recommend that you run what you have and like in W7's Virtual XP mode.
It will run in a separate window, which, when maximized will essentially be
your XP machine with all required drivers, etc. available to your app.

--
best regards,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
Most of my editing these days is 1 to 4 hour long mono and stereo wav
files.
It's necessary to edit down to the sample level to get rid of lip
smacks

Jeepers, that's a quick lip-smack !

such. Adobe Audition 1.5 does a fabulous job for the application, but
it doesn't like Windows 7. (It works, but it switches screen modes
and requires
authorization to run each time.)

Maybe it's time to consider new software. Pro Tools is overkill. What
about Sony Sound Forge? On a few occasions, I work in multi-track
mode, but it's not frequent.

Good choice.

I'm also considering Reaper, but it's not quite as intuitive as I
thought it
would be. I'm sure I'd get use to it with enough practice.

It's a DAW, not an audio editor.

What would you recommend?

Sound Forge.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"mcp6453" wrote in message
news
Most of my editing these days is 1 to 4 hour long mono and stereo wav
files.
It's necessary to edit down to the sample level to get rid of lip smacks
and
such. Adobe Audition 1.5 does a fabulous job for the application, but it
doesn't
like Windows 7. (It works, but it switches screen modes and requires
authorization to run each time.)

I suspect that your real problem is that you are bored. The two issues
you've raised are trivial. For example, the screen mode issue seems to
happen to everything that runs under Windows 7, even its own components.

Maybe it's time to consider new software.

Audition 1.5 is very old software. It is actually Cool Edit Pro 2.1 with
Adobe's name on it, and not a lot else. I own a copy, and a copy of Audition
2.0 and I use neither. I believe that the current product is called Audition
3.0, and even it has been out for a number of years. There's a lesson here
and that is that audio editing at the cut and paste level is very old
technology. Most of the popular tools can do far much more, but apparently
you aren't going there.

You're probably in denial about the artistic stagnation that you my be
finding yourself in.

Pro Tools is overkill. What about Sony Sound Forge?

It's now competitive, I hear. It used to be stereo-only. I understand that
they added multitrack features.

On a few occasions, I work in multi-track mode, but it's not frequent.

As do I. I wish I did more of that, because in general, its a good way to
obtain better results if you can hack the complexity.

I'm also considering Reaper, but it's not quite as intuitive as I thought
it
would be. I'm sure I'd get use to it with enough practice.

Intuitive means "I already know how to use it." If you've been using
Audition 1.5 for a number of years, your next editor isn't going to be
competitively intuituve until you've used it a long time.

The best and fastest two-track editor I ever used was FastEdit by
Minnetonka
Audio Software. It's too expensive for what you get, and I'm not convinced
that
development is ongoing. They had a real problem transitioning from 16 bit
to 32
bit.

What would you recommend?

Realize that your boredom is not coming from your tools. More likely the
boredom is coming from your projects. Ultimately, you're boring yourself!
Get out of denial. An audio editor is just a tool, the real magic is in your
heart and your head.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 10/22/2011 10:19 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
Most of my editing these days is 1 to 4 hour long mono and stereo wav files.
It's necessary to edit down to the sample level to get rid of lip smacks

Maybe it's time to consider new software. Pro Tools is overkill. What about Sony
Sound Forge?

That's pretty much what I do, only I don't edit out lip smacks. Sound
Forge would probably be a decent choice for that. I, too, like Fast Edit
but I find myself using Sound Forge most of the time now, mostly because
I use it most of the time and I'm getting used to it. But you're right,
Fast Edit is kind of in "sustaining" mode now. There are a whole lot of
people who do a whole lot of editing with it and the company wants to
keep them going, but it isn't likely to get too much redevelopment if any.

I never really got into editing with Reaper so I can't help you with
that one. Many years ago I did a survey of 2-track editing programs
(today they're usually called "Mastering" programs) and I think I put
that article is on my web page. Take a look. You might get some ideas as
to what to look for that will help you make a choice among what's current.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

Pro Tools is overkill. What about Sony Sound Forge?

It's now competitive, I hear. It used to be stereo-only. I understand
that they added multitrack features.

Not "multirack". "Multi-channel" features.

Multi-track would make SF a DAW, which it is not intended to be. It is
purely and simply and 'audio editor'.

There are several levels of application, SF Pro and SF Audio Studio (more
hobby/home-user orientated).

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Poster Poster is offline

Audition 3.0 will run fine on Win7, 1.5 may also run well in xp
compatibility mode and/or run-as-administrator mode.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Poster Poster is offline

Audacity is fine for 2-track editing, too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Poster" wrote in
message ...

Audacity is fine for 2-track editing, too.

Audacity is an OK program for simple editing, but it lacks refinement and
built-in features for serious work. Wonderful as a freebie, but weak as a
top-of-the line or even mid-line competitor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

mcp6453 wrote in
news
Most of my editing these days is 1 to 4 hour long mono and stereo wav
files. It's necessary to edit down to the sample level to get rid of
lip smacks and such. Adobe Audition 1.5 does a fabulous job for the
application, but it doesn't like Windows 7. (It works, but it switches
screen modes and requires authorization to run each time.)

I'm running Audition 1.5 in Windows 7 on a Toshiba laptop and have never
had any issues with screen modes, and I turned off all the authorization BS
long ago.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 11 Nov 2011, Carey Carlan wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I'm running Audition 1.5 in Windows 7 on a Toshiba laptop and have
never had any issues with screen modes, and I turned off all the
authorization BS long ago.

That's odd, because I've run Audition 1.5 on several Vista and Windows
7 computers, and in every case it conflicts with the Aero theme, so
Windows turns Aero off while Audition is running.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Nil" wrote in message
That's odd, because I've run Audition 1.5 on several Vista and Windows
7 computers, and in every case it conflicts with the Aero theme, so
Windows turns Aero off while Audition is running.

Those wanting a responsive computer rather than eye candy simply turn it off
all the time! No great loss.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 12 Nov 2011, "Trevor" wrote in rec.audio.pro:

Those wanting a responsive computer rather than eye candy simply
turn it off all the time! No great loss.

Unless the computer is generally old and underpowered or under spec, I
haven't found that the Aero theme makes much difference in the
computer's responsiveness.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/12/2011 12:07 PM, Nil wrote:

Unless the computer is generally old and underpowered or under spec, I
haven't found that the Aero theme makes much difference in the
computer's responsiveness.

ALL computers are old, underpowered, and under spec after a
few days. The trick is to learn how to make a computer work
for more than a couple of years, and the easiest way to do
that is to stop buying software for it. You have enough!!!!!

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl[_2_] cedricl[_2_] is offline

On Nov 12, 5:57*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/12/2011 12:07 PM, Nil wrote:

Unless the computer is generally old and underpowered or under spec, I
haven't found that the Aero theme makes much difference in the
computer's responsiveness.

ALL computers are old, underpowered, and under spec after a
few days. The trick is to learn how to make a computer work
for more than a couple of years, and the easiest way to do
that is to stop buying software for it. You have enough!!!!!

So True! But, hard to adhere to.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 11/12/2011 12:07 PM, Nil wrote:

Unless the computer is generally old and underpowered or under spec,
I haven't found that the Aero theme makes much difference in the
computer's responsiveness.

ALL computers are old, underpowered, and under spec after a
few days.

And well before delivery to the end-user who can then start with bios update
and connect the os to an internet based updater that will replace the most
outdated 35 percent.

The trick is to learn how to make a computer work
for more than a couple of years, and the easiest way to do
that is to stop buying software for it. You have enough!!!!!

Erm, actually my 500 mHz box running WinME is still OK and its 10 years old
plextor still makes fine CD's using Feurio so it is back on its job, albeit
not as GP officing box.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Nil" wrote in message
Those wanting a responsive computer rather than eye candy simply
turn it off all the time! No great loss.

Unless the computer is generally old and underpowered or under spec, I
haven't found that the Aero theme makes much difference in the
computer's responsiveness.

Right, but even the "not much" difference is more important to me than a few
"pretty's"".
Your choice is yours to make as always.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"cedricl" wrote in message
On Nov 12, 5:57 pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/12/2011 12:07 PM, Nil wrote:

Unless the computer is generally old and underpowered or under spec, I
haven't found that the Aero theme makes much difference in the
computer's responsiveness.

ALL computers are old, underpowered, and under spec after a
few days. The trick is to learn how to make a computer work
for more than a couple of years, and the easiest way to do
that is to stop buying software for it. You have enough!!!!!

So True! But, hard to adhere to.

Speak for yourself.

I'm running the same version of Cool Edit that I bought almost 10 years ago.
The nature of the tasks that I present it with have changed dramatically
over the years, but it keeps on getting the job done very well.

I'm also using the same set of Craftsman wrenches and sockets that I bought
over 40 years ago. Same basic concept - good tools keep up with changing
needs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/12/2011 12:07 PM, Nil wrote:

Unless the computer is generally old and underpowered or under spec, I
haven't found that the Aero theme makes much difference in the
computer's responsiveness.

ALL computers are old, underpowered, and under spec after a few days.
The trick is to learn how to make a computer work for more than a couple
of years, and the easiest way to do that is to stop buying software for
it. You have enough!!!!!

Revo Uninstaller and Eusing Free Registry Cleaner can help.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/13/2011 7:44 AM, Arny Krueger wrote:

I'm also using the same set of Craftsman wrenches and sockets that I bought
over 40 years ago.

I've had to augment my tools (many inherited from my father)
with a lot of drivers for screw heads that they never had in
his day, and I had to buy a set of metric wrenches in 1960
when I got my first foreign car, and the 150 watt Weller
solder gun has been replaced by a soldering station (still
Weller). I'm thinking it might be time to get a vacuum
de-soldering station that can handle surface mount
components, and a bigger magnifier and a brighter bench
lamp, but with schematics becoming harder to get, maybe it's
time to hang up the voltmeter and just buy new gear when the
old stuff breaks.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/13/2011 11:57 AM, Les Cargill wrote:

Revo Uninstaller and Eusing Free Registry Cleaner can help.

I use Revo Uninstaller when I can remember, but every time I
try a registry cleaner, I chicken out. They all leave me to
make decisions about things I don't know enough about to be
sure of.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/13/2011 11:57 AM, Les Cargill wrote:

Revo Uninstaller and Eusing Free Registry Cleaner can help.

I use Revo Uninstaller when I can remember, but every time I try a
registry cleaner, I chicken out. They all leave me to make decisions
about things I don't know enough about to be sure of.

Be bold - Eusing works, and has never created a problem for me. It's
better than blocking out a Sunday to rebuild the machine twice a year.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 13 Nov 2011, Mike Rivers wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I use Revo Uninstaller when I can remember, but every time I
try a registry cleaner, I chicken out. They all leave me to
make decisions about things I don't know enough about to be
sure of.

That's a healthy attitude. Registry "cleaners" are mostly snake oil.
They make the anal-retentive among us (me, for one) feel neater and
tidier and superior, but they almost never result in improved
performance and they all are capable of royally screwing up your
computer.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
I use Revo Uninstaller when I can remember, but every time I try a
registry cleaner, I chicken out. They all leave me to make decisions about
things I don't know enough about to be sure of.

And you can't back up the registry first just in case?

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

I've had to augment my tools (many inherited from my father)
with a lot of drivers for screw heads that they never had in
his day, and I had to buy a set of metric wrenches in 1960
when I got my first foreign car, and the 150 watt Weller
solder gun has been replaced by a soldering station (still
Weller). I'm thinking it might be time to get a vacuum
de-soldering station that can handle surface mount
components, and a bigger magnifier and a brighter bench
lamp, but with schematics becoming harder to get, maybe it's
time to hang up the voltmeter and just buy new gear when the
old stuff breaks.

The vacuum system is nice to have if you do millions of components, but
it really saves only time when compared with the Soldapulit.. there is
nothing you can't do with the Soldapulit that you can do with the vacuum
tool, it just takes a lot longer.

I have a vacuum tool and have for a decade and it is a wonderful thing, but
of no help for SMT work, although it means I can recap a complete stereo 440B
in about two hours total time (counting only the caps on the boards, not the
can caps).

For SMT work you want a hot air station, and if you are looking for something
cheap, a lot of the kids have been using the Aoyue stations which appear to
be cheap Chinese copies of the Hakko, with good luck. At work I have a Weller
hot air system which I think the Hakko is a copy of, and it makes SMT work
a thousand times easier.

However.... if you spend $100 on a good head-mounted magnifier and a couple
dollars on a roll of Chipquik, you'll find you can do amazing work just with
a desktop temperature-controlled iron. chipquik.com may even still have a
free sample offer... the stuff is amazing for SMT rework and actually for
all kinds of rework with lead-free solder; it lets you work at much lower
temperatures.

Don't give up on repairs! Never give up on repairs! Everything is repairable!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Nil wrote:
On 13 Nov 2011, Mike Rivers wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I use Revo Uninstaller when I can remember, but every time I
try a registry cleaner, I chicken out. They all leave me to
make decisions about things I don't know enough about to be
sure of.

That's a healthy attitude. Registry "cleaners" are mostly snake oil.
They make the anal-retentive among us (me, for one) feel neater and
tidier and superior, but they almost never result in improved
performance and they all are capable of royally screwing up your
computer.

"If you don't know what is wrong, tell them that their registry is
corrupted, because it always is, and hell, it might actually have
something to do with the problem."
-- Dave From IT

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nil wrote:
On 13 Nov 2011, Mike wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I use Revo Uninstaller when I can remember, but every time I
try a registry cleaner, I chicken out. They all leave me to
make decisions about things I don't know enough about to be
sure of.

That's a healthy attitude. Registry "cleaners" are mostly snake oil.
They make the anal-retentive among us (me, for one) feel neater and
tidier and superior, but they almost never result in improved
performance and they all are capable of royally screwing up your
computer.

So they say. I have been using Eusing ( heh! ) weekly or so for about
two years now, and absolutely no problems t'all.

YMMV.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Les Cargill" wrote in message
Nil wrote:
On 13 Nov 2011, Mike wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I use Revo Uninstaller when I can remember, but every time I
try a registry cleaner, I chicken out. They all leave me to
make decisions about things I don't know enough about to be
sure of.

That's a healthy attitude. Registry "cleaners" are mostly snake oil.
They make the anal-retentive among us (me, for one) feel neater and
tidier and superior, but they almost never result in improved
performance and they all are capable of royally screwing up your
computer.

So they say. I have been using Eusing ( heh! ) weekly or so for about two
years now, and absolutely no problems t'all.

Question being, what actual hard benefits are being received from the use of
Eusing?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 14 Nov 2011, "Trevor" wrote in rec.audio.pro:

And you can't back up the registry first just in case?

Revo (and all uninstallers) do more than just edit the Registry.)

Mac audio editing software... Mars Pro Audio 5 April 4th 06 05:34 PM
Audio Editing Software Mark5 Pro Audio 0 February 1st 06 10:12 PM
Audio Editing Software for XP TonyP Pro Audio 0 May 7th 04 07:19 AM
Recommendations on OS X Audio Editing software Phil Lederer Pro Audio 6 September 19th 03 02:06 AM
New Audio Editing Software, Dexster Softdiv Pro Audio 0 September 3rd 03 07:46 PM