Posted to rec.audio.tech
Steven Liburd Steven Liburd is offline

Default Vinyl vs. CD audio level

I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it
is my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is
somewhat lower than my CDs. Is it me, my equipment, or is there a
standard gain that I should apply to files converted from analog to
digital before I burn them to CD?

TIA

==steven
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Steven Liburd" wrote ...
I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it is
my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is somewhat
lower than my CDs. Is it me, my equipment, or is there a standard gain that
I should apply to files converted from analog to digital before I burn them
to CD?

1. Use an appropriate recording level to begin with.
It should be easy enough to estimate where the "loudest" parts
of the tracks are by visual inspection. Set the recording level
to 3dB below the playback peak (to allow for surprises).

2. Normalize
Then "normalize" the resulting file to 0dBFS (or whatever your
preference).

3. Compress (optional?)
You may find that even that doesn't sound as "loud" as modern
CDs because of the notorious use of heavy compression on
digital recordings released these days. You can try compressing
your files (before converting to MP3, etc.) if you wish.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 17:27:19 GMT, Steven Liburd wrote:
I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it
is my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is
somewhat lower than my CDs. Is it me, my equipment, or is there a
standard gain that I should apply to files converted from analog to
digital before I burn them to CD?

You need to leave some headroom to avoid cliping.

How could there be a "standard gain"? It depends on the levels of your
equipment and how worn out your records are.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:50:13 -0800, Richard Crowley wrote:
"Steven Liburd" wrote ...
I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it is
my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is somewhat
lower than my CDs. Is it me, my equipment, or is there a standard gain that
I should apply to files converted from analog to digital before I burn them
to CD?

1. Use an appropriate recording level to begin with.
It should be easy enough to estimate where the "loudest" parts
of the tracks are by visual inspection. Set the recording level
to 3dB below the playback peak (to allow for surprises).

Make sure the stylus drop wasn't recorded (cut it out if necessary),
and run a declick filter before normalizing. There's little point in
reserving 10db of dynamic range for the clicks and pops.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , AZ Nomad wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:50:13 -0800, Richard Crowley wrote:
"Steven Liburd" wrote ...
I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it is
my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is somewhat
lower than my CDs. Is it me, my equipment, or is there a standard gain that
I should apply to files converted from analog to digital before I burn them
to CD?

1. Use an appropriate recording level to begin with.
It should be easy enough to estimate where the "loudest" parts
of the tracks are by visual inspection. Set the recording level
to 3dB below the playback peak (to allow for surprises).

Make sure the stylus drop wasn't recorded (cut it out if necessary),
and run a declick filter before normalizing. There's little point in
reserving 10db of dynamic range for the clicks and pops.

I don't fully understand what he is referring to, but its all about levels.
On my stereo system, I have to turn the volume control full up to listen to vinyl,
and way down for anything else. Maybe its compression the question is about ?

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech

GregS wrote:
In article , AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Needing to turn it 'full up' means your phono preamp isn't working right,
and/or your room is too large for your speakers/amp

LPs tend not to be as loud as modern CDs because digital dynamic range compression and
limiting tools weren't around when LPs ruled...and the super-loud signals put on CDs these
days aren't easily transcribed to vinyl even now.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 19:09:24 GMT, GregS wrote:
In article , AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

I wasn't talking about compression, just gain. If 0db is the peak level
your recording medium can handle and you record vynyl, you're very likely
to have clicks and pops going up to 0db. If loudest music level is down at
-12db and you run a normalization filter, you're going to get very poor
results. It'll see the pops at 0db, and do nothing. If you filter out the
pops, then the normalizing filter has a chance to bring the -12db music up
to 0db.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

I wasn't talking about compression, just gain. If 0db is the peak level
your recording medium can handle and you record vynyl, you're very likely
to have clicks and pops going up to 0db. If loudest music level is down at
-12db and you run a normalization filter, you're going to get very poor
results. It'll see the pops at 0db, and do nothing. If you filter out the
pops, then the normalizing filter has a chance to bring the -12db music up
to 0db.

The approach I'd recommend is:

- Digitize at a level low enough to ensure some amount of headroom
above the loudest peak present in the music itself... avoid clipping
the signal.

- Edit out the needle-drop and end-of-album pops and thunks

- If necessary, use automatic or manual pop-and-scratch-removal
processing to clean up the signal.

- Run a "ReplayGain" analysis of the music. This algorithm attempts
to determine the average loudness of a piece of music, based both
on the amplitude and on the frequency content.

Software which implements this algorithm can recommend both a gain
adjustment (to result in a fairly consistent loudness) and also
determine the actual peak value found in the audio.

- Do a gain normalization, based on the ReplayGain adjustment
recommendation, being careful not to increase the gain so much that
the peak value found by the ReplayGain analysis would reach digital
full-scale.

This ought to result in CD-Rs which have a fairly consistent average
loudness.

They're still likely to sound quieter than current commercial
popular-music CDs, which (as others have noted) tend to be
overcompressed until all the juice has been squeezed out and left on
the mastering-room floor.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 12:50:10 -0800, Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

That is pretty much what I do. On worn out records, I usually do treble boost
atarting at 4khz or so.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

GregS wrote:

I don't fully understand what he is referring to, but its all about
levels.
On my stereo system, I have to turn the volume control full up to
listen to vinyl,
and way down for anything else. Maybe its compression the question is
about ?

Um, you are running your turntable into a phono input ? Phono cartridges
have a nominal output of several thousandths of a volt whereas CDs are
usually around 2v.

Also Tape Outs on phono-preamps or amplifiers are usually around half a
volt, versus 2v for a CD player.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"GregS" wrote...
I don't fully understand what he is referring to, but its all about
levels.
On my stereo system, I have to turn the volume control full up to listen
to vinyl, and way down for anything else.

We have been assuming that you have your turntable plugged
into an input designated as "phono". If you have it plugged into
anything else, then it is a wonder that you can hear anything at all.

If you don't have a phono input on your receiver, then you
need an RIAA phono preamp to bring up the volume to the
same "line level" as any of your other sources.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Steven Liburd wrote:

I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps
it is my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is
somewhat lower than my CDs.

Yes. The CD's that are louder than the vinyl are more processed than the
vinyl. This is caused by more processing equipment and less skilled staff
pr. capita. The technical term is "the loudness race" ... my opinion is that
sound quality suffers and that quite much vinyl sounds very good not because
the technology itself is good, but simply because less has been done.

Is it me, my equipment, or is there a
standard gain that I should apply to files converted from analog to
digital before I burn them to CD?

Mileage varies plenty on this, my strategy is to lower the recording volume
enough to record the loudest click unclipped and then "fix single click"
those large clicks that are louder than the audio, and then to normalize the
vinyl to -2.5 dB. That makes it approximately as loud as well recorded CD's,
at least when it is about acoustic music.

==steven

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

AZ Nomad wrote:

I wasn't talking about compression, just gain. If 0db is the peak
level your recording medium can handle and you record vynyl, you're
very likely to have clicks and pops going up to 0db. If loudest
music level is down at -12db and you run a normalization filter,
you're going to get very poor results.

Which is why you use a suitable declicker and fix single click the large
ones.

It'll see the pops at 0db,
and do nothing. If you filter out the pops, then the normalizing
filter has a chance to bring the -12db music up to 0db.

As already mentioned 2.5 dB matches similar digital recordings well. It
requires multiband compression and intentional clipping to get audio as loud
as some current CD's are, and vinyl would end up sounding just as bad if it
was done.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Steven Liburd wrote:
I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it
is my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is
somewhat lower than my CDs. Is it me, my equipment, or is there a
standard gain that I should apply to files converted from analog to
digital before I burn them to CD?

TIA

==steven

First of all, I want to thank everyone for the replies. It's given me
some insight that I didn't have before.

I came to the conclusion that the difference in volume is most likely
due to my equipment - the phono preamp probably doesn't boost the signal
to the level where it would match that being outputted from the CD
player. Or, it could just be that the CDs are burned a little 'hot' as
has been suggested. Probably a bit of both.

Let me give a few more details on what I'm using...
I've got a Behringer UCA202 - it takes output from the Tape/Out jacks
and feeds it through a USB port to the computer. I'm using Audacity to
capture the signal on the computer. I've played around with the
filtering so that unwanted sounds are mostly removed. There aren't too
many of those, anyway...I've always been a little fussy about my vinyl...8-)

The initial results have been pretty good. The reason I'm interested in
getting my CDs to match the level of my commercial CDs is that I like to
mix my own CDs, so I of course would like the level to be consistent
regardless of source. Or, if I put a mix of commercial and converted CDs
into the changer I don't have to fiddle with the volume every time a new
disk is started.

I have one LP that I also have in CD format, so I'm going play around
with the pair to see if I can come up with a baseline for what I need to
do. If it looks like I can't get the levels to match without sacrificing
some sound quality in the LP conversion, then I'll just have to live
with manually changing the volume when needed (oh, bother!).

I'll let you know how it's going. Feel free to pass along any more tips
you might have.

Thanks again.

==steven
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Steven Liburd" wrote ...
The initial results have been pretty good. The reason I'm interested in
getting my CDs to match the level of my commercial CDs is that I like to
mix my own CDs, so I of course would like the level to be consistent
regardless of source. Or, if I put a mix of commercial and converted CDs
into the changer I don't have to fiddle with the volume every time a new
disk is started.

I have one LP that I also have in CD format, so I'm going play around with
the pair to see if I can come up with a baseline for what I need to do.

Don't assume that establishing levels for that particular recording
will necessarily apply to others. Black vinyl wasn't like CDs where
there is an absolute Full Scale beyond which there is zero headroom.
Discs were cut with levels that were all over the map, IME. It is
almost like setting levels for a live recording, except that you have
a "preview" function(! :-)

If you have a "feel" for the average levels of your CDs, you can
"eyeball" the levels in Audacity (or whatever) to match. However,
don't be surprised if the levels don't "sound" as loud even when
you normalize to 0dBFS. You may need to apply significant
compression to the LP tracks to approach what modern popular
music CDs sound like.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Steven Liburd wrote:

I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it
is my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is
somewhat lower than my CDs. Is it me, my equipment, or is there a
standard gain that I should apply to files converted from analog to
digital before I burn them to CD?

There can be no standard amplification since (to begin with) different
pickup cartridges have different sensitivities. Also, the recording itself
may be made quieter in order to slightly prolong playing time and there's no
telling what the maximum amplitude on any recording may be. So that's 3
reasons it's not practical.

You'll have to 'normalise' them yourself.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Steven Liburd wrote:

Steven Liburd wrote:

I came to the conclusion that the difference in volume is most likely
due to my equipment - the phono preamp probably doesn't boost the
signal to the level where it would match that being outputted from the CD
player.

This is correct, your phono preamp has about 1 volt as taret peak voltage
and your CD player 2 volts, which is 6 dB louder.

Or, it could just be that the CDs are burned a little 'hot' as
has been suggested. Probably a bit of both.

The above is in terms of peak voltage, not in terms of average loudness,
because of the difference in mastering the perceived loudness difference is
more like 10 to 12 dB, or - if aligned to identical peak level and pop music
a la spice girls assumed - 6 dB.

Let me give a few more details on what I'm using...
I've got a Behringer UCA202 - it takes output from the Tape/Out jacks
and feeds it through a USB port to the computer. I'm using Audacity to
capture the signal on the computer. I've played around with the
filtering so that unwanted sounds are mostly removed. There aren't too
many of those, anyway...I've always been a little fussy about my
vinyl...8-)

The initial results have been pretty good. The reason I'm interested
in getting my CDs to match the level of my commercial CDs is that I
like to mix my own CDs, so I of course would like the level to be
consistent regardless of source.

That is plain not obtainable. You can align your cd's made from vinyl
reasonably well by normalizing to -2.5 dB ref 0 dB FS.

Or, if I put a mix of commercial and
converted CDs into the changer I don't have to fiddle with the volume
every time a new disk is started.

Mix those with Spice Girls or Avril Lavigne and those will be .. at a guess
... 8 dB louder.

I have one LP that I also have in CD format, so I'm going play around
with the pair to see if I can come up with a baseline for what I need
to do.

Won't help you, reissues may be totally remastered and squashed to bricks. I
have a new record that had a parallel release on vinyl and CD. The vinyl
version has great sound and dynamics, the CD is just another row of bricks.
Boooring ..... which is why I only rarely buy pop and rock CD's these days.
Classical ... occasionally, preferably boxes with one or more feet of one
composers ouvres. There are not enough bad classical recordings around, so
there is always enough good recordings of good ensembles in the boxes to
warrant the box price and still be a bargain.

If it looks like I can't get the levels to match without
sacrificing some sound quality in the LP conversion,

You can't. And it is the vinyl that is OK and the CD's that are broken.

==steven

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl[_4_] Karl[_4_] is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"GregS" wrote...
I don't fully understand what he is referring to, but its all about
levels.
On my stereo system, I have to turn the volume control full up to listen
to vinyl, and way down for anything else.

We have been assuming that you have your turntable plugged
into an input designated as "phono". If you have it plugged into
anything else, then it is a wonder that you can hear anything at all.

If you don't have a phono input on your receiver, then you
need an RIAA phono preamp to bring up the volume to the
same "line level" as any of your other sources.

Not to mention getting the right equalization. It would be over-emphasized
treble and noise, and no bass.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl[_4_] Karl[_4_] is offline

wrote:
I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it
is my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is
somewhat lower than my CDs. Is it me, my equipment, or is there a
standard gain that I should apply to files converted from analog to
digital before I burn them to CD?

You need to leave some headroom to avoid cliping.

How could there be a "standard gain"? It depends on the levels of your
equipment and how worn out your records are.

Worn records should not affect the audio level unless pops blow the
normalization. I've found some nasty pops on brand new records.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl[_4_] Karl[_4_] is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

[snip]

don't be surprised if the levels don't "sound" as loud even when
you normalize to 0dBFS. You may need to apply significant
compression to the LP tracks to approach what modern popular
music CDs sound like.

Ewww... why would anyone do that to their vinyl transcriptions?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Karl" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
[snip]

don't be surprised if the levels don't "sound" as loud even when
you normalize to 0dBFS. You may need to apply significant
compression to the LP tracks to approach what modern popular
music CDs sound like.

Ewww... why would anyone do that to their vinyl transcriptions?

The OP said that he wanted them as "loud" as his CD-
sourced tracks. Seems unlikely that will happen without
compression equivalent to the CDs.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
LAB LAB is offline

STEVEN LIBURD:
I am experimenting with converting my vinyl collection to CD. Perhaps it
is my equipment, but it seems that the volume level of my vinyl is
somewhat lower than my CDs.

You are trying to compare two analog signals. Analog signals from the
turntable and analog signals from the CD Player are subject to many analog
parameters: cartridge sensitivity, phono preamp gain, CDP DAC and output
stages. Also two CDP's can have different analog output levels for the same
disc; obviously, digital output levels are exactly the same.

Gianluca

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl[_4_] Karl[_4_] is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Karl" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
[snip]

don't be surprised if the levels don't "sound" as loud even when
you normalize to 0dBFS. You may need to apply significant
compression to the LP tracks to approach what modern popular
music CDs sound like.

Ewww... why would anyone do that to their vinyl transcriptions?

The OP said that he wanted them as "loud" as his CD-
sourced tracks. Seems unlikely that will happen without
compression equivalent to the CDs.

Yeah, I understand. But I assume he has a volume control. I wonder if he
wants them as loud once he understands the trade-offs.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Karl wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

The OP said that he wanted them as "loud" as his CD-
sourced tracks. Seems unlikely that will happen without
compression equivalent to the CDs.

Yeah, I understand. But I assume he has a volume control. I wonder if
he wants them as loud once he understands the trade-offs.

I haven't seen him confirm that he does understand them, but I may have read
carelessly.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Peter Larsen wrote:
Karl wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

The OP said that he wanted them as "loud" as his CD-
sourced tracks. Seems unlikely that will happen without
compression equivalent to the CDs.

Yeah, I understand. But I assume he has a volume control. I wonder if
he wants them as loud once he understands the trade-offs.

I haven't seen him confirm that he does understand them, but I may have read
carelessly.

To quote myself from earlier in this thread (I'm the OP):

"If it looks like I can't get the levels to match without sacrificing
some sound quality in the LP conversion, then I'll just have to live
with manually changing the volume when needed"

==steven

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:37:18 GMT, Steven Liburd wrote:
Peter Larsen wrote:
Karl wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

The OP said that he wanted them as "loud" as his CD-
sourced tracks. Seems unlikely that will happen without
compression equivalent to the CDs.

Yeah, I understand. But I assume he has a volume control. I wonder if
he wants them as loud once he understands the trade-offs.

I haven't seen him confirm that he does understand them, but I may have read
carelessly.

To quote myself from earlier in this thread (I'm the OP):

"If it looks like I can't get the levels to match without sacrificing
some sound quality in the LP conversion, then I'll just have to live
with manually changing the volume when needed"

If you can only accept exact matching, that may be true. Otherwise, if you
declick, perhaps apply some EQ, and then normalize, you can get within 3db
without sacrificing any sound quality.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Steven Liburd wrote:

To quote myself from earlier in this thread (I'm the OP):

Thank you for supplementing Steven,

"If it looks like I can't get the levels to match without sacrificing
some sound quality in the LP conversion, then I'll just have to live
with manually changing the volume when needed"

ime you will have to, or to put it all on a household server and align
average levels with suitable software, Audition no doubt is not the only
program that can help you with this.

==steven

Kind regards

Peter Larsen