Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Default Latest on archival quality DVD?

ChairmanOfTheBored writes:

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:29:05 -0500, Randy Yates wrote:

ChairmanOfTheBored writes:
[...]
I have several Terabytes of hard drives here, and can access them via
my PS3 wherever I am in the entire world.

I have over a terabyte here at home myself, and can access my
information anywhere there's an internet connection.

I'll bet my PS3 archive is less susceptible to attack than your PC
"solution" is.

That could be. I've taken some precautions (perhaps the biggest is that
I don't do Windoze) so I believe my susceptibility is quite low anyway.
--
% Randy Yates % "My Shangri-la has gone away, fading like
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % the Beatles on 'Hey Jude'"
Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Randy Yates wrote:
ChairmanOfTheBored writes:
[...]
I have several Terabytes of hard drives here, and can
access them via my PS3 wherever I am in the entire world.

Pray tell, how do you access them when driving 70 MPH down
the highway?

It's very common. I see guys fiddling with their iPod with one hand
while talking on their cellphone with the other, driving 70 MPH down
the highway. In fact, my officemate was rear-ended by one just the
other week.

Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
I'll bet my PS3 archive is less susceptible to attack than your PC
"solution" is.

My solution is that when I want to listen to something on LP, I put it
on the turntable, sit down, and listen to it.
Posted to alt.video.dvd,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.tech
Daniel Cohen Daniel Cohen is offline

Brett Kline wrote:

Daniel Cohen wrote:

I have never come across Taiyo-Yuden disks at the various UK sites I
have looked at for disks.

I have come across (and they are what I buy) other brands, such as
Verbatim, who use TY dyes.

http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Taiyo-Yuden.html
http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Thats.html

Thanks
--
http://www.decohen.com
Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;

Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
BlueBuyYoo BlueBuyYoo is offline

In Les Cargill writes:

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:44:59 -0500, Les Cargill
wrote:

snip

Even more retarded, and as stated, you don't even know who Larry Fast
is.

Weak troll. About a 1.5 on a 1 to 10 scale.

http://forums.techguy.org/random-dis...-magazine.html

You have no idea who you are dealing with. He actually does know everything and
is never wrong and he will argue, change the subject and call you names until
you know that he is right and all knowing. He is so smart that he is the winner
of several Internet kook awards (alt.usenet.kooks).

Just search Google Groups for Darkmatter or Roy L Fuchs or any of his hundred
other nyms and you will see just how intelligent he is. Then killfile him. That
works best as does not get the attention he feeds on.

Now, watch for the "you are a retard/idiot/gang boy/turd/dumbass/little boy" post
that will inevitably follow. Only thing is that I won't see it.

Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

I called that ****ed up. Maybe they have a stuffed burner ?

OK, then provide the URL of your website whiere you publish
your findings. Else my opinion of which of you is legitimate
vs. a random usenet poster remains unchained. Nice try.

WTF would I want 'publish my findings' on a website. I simply make a
real-life observation from my experience in over 7 years of
commercial CD and DVD duplication.

geoff

Like I said... PIRATE.

Well I say "****wit arsehole". Exactly what are you accusing me of being a
party in the pirating of ?

geoff

Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

Thanks for letting everyone know just how brainless you are.

It's a commercial product, dumb****. Since they are stamping vinyl
anymore, it's pretty simple math.

Shareware is on LP ? Make up your mind what you are ranting about.

geoff

Posted to alt.video.dvd,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.tech
Brett Kline Brett Kline is offline

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:35:02 +0000, (Daniel Cohen) wrote:

Brett Kline wrote:

Daniel Cohen wrote:

I have never come across Taiyo-Yuden disks at the various UK sites I
have looked at for disks.

I have come across (and they are what I buy) other brands, such as
Verbatim, who use TY dyes.
http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Taiyo-Yuden.html
http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Thats.html

Thanks

Hahahaha... $50 for a 100 pack!

Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R
Disc Lead in Info: TYG03

26.39GBP (17.5%VAT in) is $52USD

TAIYO YUDEN 4.7GB 16X DVD-R Thermal Printable 100 Packs Disc - Retail
$40USD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d&Order=PRICED

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/mercha...tegory_Code=DM
$38USD

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewprodu...ia+%2D+DVD%2DR
$41.80USD

Taiyo Yuden is arguably the highest quality CD/DVD media out there. If
you prefer inexpensive media it's not hard to find.

Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Bill Vermillion" wrote in message

Actually LP sales have been going up for the past couple
of years.

Actually, they've started heading down again, at least according to the
RIAA:

year sales (million units)
1997 0.7
1998 0.7
1999 0.5
2000 0.5
2001 0.6
2002 0.7
2003 0.5
2004 0.9
2005 0.7
2006 0.6

preliminary report for 2007 says that LPs continue to decline.

And now you will see such things as USB conectible
turntables on sale at places diverse as Costco.

Seems like they are being sold as tools for archiving old LPs to CD-R.

It's a niche market, but there is a market for vinyl out
there - and so many of the new LPs are pressed on heavy
vinyl - the kind that was used in the 1960s' before the
thin, lightweight, and easily warpable vinyl of the '70s
came in during the oil shortage of that era.

Suggesting that LP sound quality was falling long before the CD came on the
scene

Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

preliminary report for 2007 says that LPs continue to decline.

Definitely, yes. I'm not sure what the breakdown between audiophile
and dance records are, but it's important because there are two completely
different and unrelated LP markets with no real crossover between them.

And now you will see such things as USB conectible
turntables on sale at places diverse as Costco.

Seems like they are being sold as tools for archiving old LPs to CD-R.

Yes, and the bad part about it is that they are such cheap junk, and so
many people are using them believing that this is the best they can get
out of LPs. We have a whole generation of kids now who think the Shure M44
is the best cartridge you can buy.

It's a niche market, but there is a market for vinyl out
there - and so many of the new LPs are pressed on heavy
vinyl - the kind that was used in the 1960s' before the
thin, lightweight, and easily warpable vinyl of the '70s
came in during the oil shortage of that era.

Suggesting that LP sound quality was falling long before the CD came on the
scene

Yes, but when LP was a mass-market format, the average buyer didn't care
so much about sound quality as long as the discs didn't skip. The same
way the average CD buyer is today. Consequently, we all have to put up
with lousy sound on all formats....
Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

preliminary report for 2007 says that LPs continue to
decline.

Definitely, yes.

Just trying to correct the OP's factual error.

I'm not sure what the breakdown between
audiophile and dance records are,

Nobody seems to know for sure. There does seem to be a correlation between
the modest rise during the first part of the past decade, and the rise of
"scratching".

I suspect that the current drop-off has several causes:

(1) Ready availibility of viable alternatives to partially destroying a LP
while playing it for dancing.

(2) Decrease in the size of the boomer and vinyl sentimentalist market as
aging and even the grim reaper take their toll.

but it's important because there
are two completely different and unrelated LP markets
with no real crossover between them.

There is plenty of evidence that vinyl advocates attempted to conflate them
in order to create a pseudo-truth that the high fidelity market for vinyl
was exploding dramatically.

And now you will see such things as USB conectible
turntables on sale at places diverse as Costco.

Seems like they are being sold as tools for archiving
old LPs to CD-R.

Yes, and the bad part about it is that they are such
cheap junk, and so many people are using them believing
that this is the best they can get out of LPs.

They look like plastic POS. I wonder how they actually perform. I wonder how
they would perform with a good cartrdige.

We have a
whole generation of kids now who think the Shure M44 is
the best cartridge you can buy.

I suspect a M44 is a technological wonder compared to what you find in a
$129 all-in-1 USB turntable.

It's a niche market, but there is a market for vinyl out
there - and so many of the new LPs are pressed on heavy
vinyl - the kind that was used in the 1960s' before the
thin, lightweight, and easily warpable vinyl of the '70s
came in during the oil shortage of that era.

Suggesting that LP sound quality was falling long before
the CD came on the scene

Yes, but when LP was a mass-market format, the average
buyer didn't care so much about sound quality as long as
the discs didn't skip. The same way the average CD buyer
is today. Consequently, we all have to put up with lousy
sound on all formats....

Agreed that its not hard to make a bad-sounding recording in any
distribution format. Again, the vinyl bigots tried to assert that any CD
sounded worse than the comparable LP because digital was so egregiously
inherently flawed.

Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:
distribution format. Again, the vinyl bigots tried to assert that any CD
sounded worse than the comparable LP because digital was so egregiously
inherently flawed.

Yes, but at the same time the CD proponents were claiming "perfect sound
forever."

Good sound has a lot more to do with the people behind the console than
on the release format. The thing is, good engineers are fairly rare and
often expensive, while marketing is cheap.
Posted to alt.video.dvd, rec.audio.tech, rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audioaesthetic@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 3, 2:17 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Good sound has a lot more to do with the people behind the console than
on the release format. The thing is, good engineers are fairly rare and
often expensive, while marketing is cheap.
--scott

talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words!!

where did I hear that??
Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Bill Vermillion" wrote in message

Actually LP sales have been going up for the past couple
of years.

Actually, they've started heading down again, at least according to the
RIAA:

Some of the market for vinyl has been in rap and hip hop, and sales of
those genres are down in sales now.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Yes, but at the same time the CD proponents were claiming "perfect sound
forever."

Not the CD proponents as such, just the advertising.
And you don't understand how marketing copy-writers work?

MrT.

Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

Mr.T MrT@home wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Yes, but at the same time the CD proponents were claiming "perfect sound
forever."

Not the CD proponents as such, just the advertising.
And you don't understand how marketing copy-writers work?

Yup, I'm just pointing out that they work the same way for all formats.
Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

Far better than a single ingot metal billet ever was or ever could be.
It is the state of the art. The molecular distribution is much more
precise, so the thing is as balanced as it gets.

Citation, please.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

smoke and mirrors bull****

You have cited nothing except your own idea of how things work. And that
ain't physics.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
It isn't "my own idea", you retarded ****. It is known fact that
crystals have cleaner molecular matrices than human formed and fabricated
metallic conglomerations do.

What about the crystals that are human-formed and fabricated metallic
conglomerations?

Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
It isn't "my own idea", you retarded ****. It is known fact that
crystals have cleaner molecular matrices than human formed and fabricated
metallic conglomerations do.

What about the crystals that are human-formed and fabricated metallic
conglomerations?
--scott

Hah, those are only built by retarded ****s who don't know their place
in nature!

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

Google "micro-crystalline structure" if you need to educated yourself, I
am not going to do it for you (any of you).

Your meatus is stickin' outta yer shirt, genius.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

On Jan 5, 5:17 pm, ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
On 5 Jan 2008 14:49:30 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
It isn't "my own idea", you retarded ****. It is known fact that
crystals have cleaner molecular matrices than human formed and fabricated
metallic conglomerations do.

What about the crystals that are human-formed and fabricated metallic
conglomerations?
--scott

Billet metal bars are not "grown crystals", dip****, and "grown
crystals" do not get their lattice manipulated in any way similar to
casting forging, rolling, drawing, or any other metal forming fab method.

So crystals are NOT human formed, they are human grown, and that in a
very precise manner which does not involve taking the molten form of it
and moshing it around while it's hot.

Google "micro-crystalline structure" if you need to educated yourself, I
am not going to do it for you (any of you).

has arnie done a double blind abx test to prove any of this??? ;^0
Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

There is no hype. That is real science.

Hook bait and sinker, it seems.

geoff

Posted to alt.video.dvd,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:32:19 +1300, "geoff"
wrote:

ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

There is no hype. That is real science.

Hook bait and sinker, it seems.

geoff

**** off and die, you little retarded *******.

Ah, the genius displayed would make a chimp ecstatic.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to alt.video.dvd, rec.audio.tech, rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audioaesthetic@gmail.com is offline

hey

I like how every time troll _chairman of the bored_ posts with the
"not archived,"
someone quotes it so those words will live with the name that posted
them!!!!
so much for losing the wisdom that those word impart.