Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

Default Why do most commercial recordings (talking Classical and Jazz,

On 4/12/2013 6:05 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
KH wrote:
On 4/10/2013 8:04 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

THEORETICAL: Assuming that you are saying that you want to record a
sort of sound "picture" of a live performance, as if the playback
will then cast that picture back to your ears and let you hear
"into" another acoustic space - how am I doing - you will then play
it back on these really accurate speakers which have been placed at
an angle that will complement the recorded angles, in a space that
is deadened down to some practical extent so that it doesn't dilute
the recorded acoustic too much with its own sound. OK?

Somewhat the general gist, dismissive phrasing aside.

You've got me curious - what dismissive phrasing?

Ok, let's start with "...as if the playback will then cast that picture
back to your ears...". You don't see that even while you are 'just'
describing what *you* think is my position, you invariably use language
such as this which both describes, and simultaneously dismisses, the
position? Does this truly escape you?

Uhmm, you don't. Have you not paid any attention to what I'm saying?
That directional information is GONE. By taking speakers that have a
*specific*, not as you would claim, "highly", directional radiation
pattern, and placing them in locations, at angles, to provide an
illusion of the acoustic in the live event, one can achieve a pretty
fair recreation.

Curiouser and curiouser - I think I know what you are getting at Keith, but
saying that directional information is lost in a stereo recording hits me
the wrong way.

How it "hits you" is irrelevant to the fact that it is, indeed, lost.

It would be idiotic to state that a single microphone gives
no directional information, so I'm sure that is not what you mean.

OK, let's end with this statement in our discussion of your "dismissive"
tone. You can restate this sentence more concisely as "If you believe
this you're an idiot". Given that I do, and have, stated this belief
(fact actually, but...) your statement reduces further to a simple
"You're an idiot".

You don't see this?

snip

No - and this is where you are simply, and demonstrably WRONG. You
are *constructing* a reverberant field, you are NOT REconstructing
any 3-d field from a 2-d recording.

Please explain the physics that would allow that. Any ideas at all?
Tell me how the 3-d spatial information is encoded into a 2-d signal?
Yes, with 2 or more channels, you can simulate 3-d to an extent, but
it isn't accurate. Doesn't mean it isn't good, or realistic - it most
definitely can be both.

Let's talk about that for a moment. Just indulge me. As you have so
bravely - and courteously - up to this point.

The three dimensions of which you speak are height, width, and depth. The
width dimension I think we all agree is encoded in the stereo information
from the summing localization from the multiple microphones used.

Well, no, I don't think we all agree on that. There is no "width"
information in either channels data. We agree that on playback of the
two channels, the differential between channels will be perceived as
spacial information. You can pan-pot instruments during mixing to
achieve the same thing, where "width" never existed, so physical "width"
is clearly not a parameter that is encoded in the recording.

snip
Oh, there he goes again, fakey fakey fakey! He wants to build a little model
of the live soundscape by placing speakers like a pop-up book. Sorry, but
ya, that's pretty much the way it is.

Yes, here we agree.

That is simply impossible. The reverberant field in the recording has
no directional information, and although you can bounce, or reflect,
signals from all over the room, you are, for example, bouncing input
that originally came from rear left in all directions - not from "the
appropriate directions". All directions.

NO - if the recording properly contains sound that was bouncing off the
left side wall of the concert hall from those instruments on the left side
of the orchestra, and if those sounds are played on a left channel speaker

They are. They are played from the right speaker as well. As are all of
the sounds captured from all directions. Please explain how you play
that information only from the left speaker.

that has some output that bounces off the left wall of your room,

Please explain how you direct only the reflected sound (from the
recording) that bounced off the Left wall of the venue, to bounce off
only the Left wall of your room.

you get
that sound coming from the appropreate direction - from points in space that
are different from the primary sound, whch is coming from the speaker first.

Please explain how the how the information is encoded in the electrical
signal to allow for the sound reflected off of the Left wall, in the
venue, to be removed from the "primary" sound coming directly from the
speaker.

If you can provide these explanations, please do so. Please refrain
from embellishment, as these three basics comprise the basis for my
disagreement with your theory. The electrical signals from the
microphone, or microphones, do not contain the requisite information to
"direct" the acoustic signals as you imply.

What you describe above does happen, but you fail to address the
concomitant constraints - ALL the reflected sound and ALL of the direct
sound will be reflected off of that left wall of the room as well (not
just the desired reverberant information), so that reflection will
contain far more acoustic information than it did in the venue. The
ratio of direct to reflected sound will be completely different as well.

Precedence effect, but that is getting too involved for now.

Right.

Right now just
imagine a light bulb on the left side of the room. It shines (bounces) more
of its output from the left side wall than any others. NOT everywhere.
Footnote, there is a lot more to speaker positioning than I can relate in
this short essay.

And when sound waves travel at the speed of light, this is a very
different discussion indeed. The analogy, however, is irrelevant to the
discussion. The answers to my questions above are quite relevant.

snip

Fair enough. Results and perception are what is important. We keep on
truckin and make changes here and there as we go and try to figure out what
causes either the improvements or unimprovements. One thing is certain: the
Big Three, as I call them, of radiation pattern, speaker positioning, and
room acoustics that Siegfried Linkwitz asked about in the Challenge to the
AES, are difinitely audible, and are the main variables in the making of the
sound that we both - all - percieve in our playback. It is those variables
that must be studied to find out which ideas sound better than others in the
playback of the field-type system called stereophonic sound.

And no one is arguing that those properties are not important. But there
are an infinite number of configurations of those variables. And
precisely zero of them will provide accurate reproduction of vector
information from a scalar signal.

Keith
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:01:30 PM UTC-7, Dick Pierce wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Okay, so Mr. Pierce, Keith Howard, and Scott W are surprised that a single
microphone can't record directional information, Pierce thinks that
recordings need to carry HRTF, and microphones can make great speakers.

I never said any such thing, Mr. Eickmeier.

I think I am done here.

You are done if you insist in putting your fanatstic misconceptions
into someone else's mouth.

You gotta admit that the way you asserted reciprocity, it COULD be
easily construed as an assertion that microphones could be used as
speakers and that those speakers would have the exact same properties
as the microphones would have when capturing the sound. I know that
you were talking about the diaphragm displacement when a microphone is
fed an audio signal. Ideally that diaphragm's characteristics should
mimic, exactly, the characteristics it demonstrates when intercepting
a sound field and converting that sound field into an electrical
signal. I knew what you must have been trying to say, but your wording
even threw me, at first.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
I think I am done here.

You are done if you insist in putting your fanatstic misconceptions
into someone else's mouth.

You gotta admit that the way you asserted reciprocity, it COULD be
easily construed as an assertion that microphones could be used as
speakers and that those speakers would have the exact same properties
as the microphones would have when capturing the sound. I know that
you were talking about the diaphragm displacement when a microphone is
fed an audio signal. Ideally that diaphragm's characteristics should
mimic, exactly, the characteristics it demonstrates when intercepting
a sound field and converting that sound field into an electrical
signal. I knew what you must have been trying to say, but your wording
even threw me, at first.

You mean, like the part where I said:

"Within linear limits of the device, the reciprocity
principle states quite clearly that an acoustical
transducer will make just as good a speaker as it
does a microphone."

And you said:

"No, because within the limits of physics, a microphone
diaphragm cannot move enough air to make even a poor
speaker and the reciprocity principle never says that
it should."

And, you seemed to have COMPLETELY ignored that I said:

"Within linear limits of the device..."

So, I guess what your saying is that when I said "within
the linear limits of the device," I must have REALLY said
"within the limits of physics" instead. I can see now when
I said "within the linear limits of the device" and you
substituted "within the limits of physics", how my wording
threw you. I think.

Now both you AND Mr. Eickmeier seemed to have fatasized that
I claimed that a microphone is capable of producing high sound
pressure levels. I can see now that since I never, ever said
that, how one could be confused into thinking that I did.

One of us is missing somethiong here. Maybe it's me, missing
the words I NEVER said.

I can now see that the wording I never used could confuse anyone!

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Dick Pierce wrote:

Now both you AND Mr. Eickmeier seemed to have fatasized that
I claimed that a microphone is capable of producing high sound
pressure levels. I can see now that since I never, ever said
that, how one could be confused into thinking that I did.

One of us is missing somethiong here. Maybe it's me, missing
the words I NEVER said.

I can now see that the wording I never used could confuse anyone!

It's not just the sound pressure level difference that threw us, and that is
not the only factor that makes microphones and speakers different, and not
reciprocal. The acceptance patterns of microphones and their use and
positioning in recording a stereo performance have nothing to do with the
radiation patterns of speakers and their postiioning and use on playback of
those signals.

If you think otherwise, perhaps you could explain how a coincident pair or
single point stereo mike could be used as a stereo speaker, if only it were
loud enough.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

KH wrote:
On 4/10/2013 8:04 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Keith -

This is getting a little out of control. You are taking an attitude about me
that puts a negative whammy on every syllable I say. I did not mean anything
dismissive or ugly toward you. Sometimes I speak more conversationally than
engineeringly, but I am thinking my audience is regular folk like me who are
interested in a subject.

[...]

Yes. I didn't read it, or intend it, as any kind of dismissive or critical.
How would you state it? What hits you wrong about "casts that picture back
to your ears"?

Curiouser and curiouser - I think I know what you are getting at
Keith, but saying that directional information is lost in a stereo
recording hits me the wrong way.

How it "hits you" is irrelevant to the fact that it is, indeed, lost.

It would be idiotic to state that a single microphone gives
no directional information, so I'm sure that is not what you mean.

OK, let's end with this statement in our discussion of your
"dismissive" tone. You can restate this sentence more concisely as
"If you believe this you're an idiot". Given that I do, and have,
stated this belief (fact actually, but...) your statement reduces
further to a simple "You're an idiot".

You don't see this?

No. Permit me to interpret a paragraph that has been a major embarrassment
to me.

Everyone knows that the earth is round. It would be idiotic to state that
the earth is not flat to an audience of peers, so if you said that I would
have to assume you were getting at something deeper. AE and I have already
said that we wonder why you and Pierce keep going on about how a single
microphone can't record direction. we tell you that everyone knows that, so
what's your point. It takes two microphones to record stereo, no?

So when I say it would be idiotic to bring up that a single microphone can't
record stereo, I mean that everyone knows that, so why say it? I do not mean
that I think that it does record direction. Is that clear enough?

Now let me help both of you with this direction dilemma. Pierce says that
even with the stereo pair, we cannot decipher whether the sounds are coming
from 90 degrees up, straight behind, or 90 degrees down, or in front of us -
this information is all lost from the recording. I point out that we solve
this mystery by physical reconstruction of the recorded sound fields. WE
PLACE THE SOURCES straight ahead in front of us, in positions which are
geometrically similar to those of the instruments. We have all the
information we NEED to reconstruct a realistic image of the performance as
it existed. Can you see that my way just a little?

Let's talk about that for a moment. Just indulge me. As you have so
bravely - and courteously - up to this point.

The three dimensions of which you speak are height, width, and
depth. The width dimension I think we all agree is encoded in the
stereo information from the summing localization from the multiple
microphones used.

Well, no, I don't think we all agree on that. There is no "width"
information in either channels data. We agree that on playback of the
two channels, the differential between channels will be perceived as
spacial information. You can pan-pot instruments during mixing to
achieve the same thing, where "width" never existed, so physical
"width" is clearly not a parameter that is encoded in the recording.

This is getting silly again. Width means the lateral positioning of the
instruments. Width of the soundstage. That is what stereo is all about. Now
what are you talking about, there is no width in stereo?

That is simply impossible. The reverberant field in the recording
has no directional information, and although you can bounce, or
reflect, signals from all over the room, you are, for example,
bouncing input that originally came from rear left in all
directions - not from "the appropriate directions". All directions.

NO - if the recording properly contains sound that was bouncing off
the left side wall of the concert hall from those instruments on the
left side of the orchestra, and if those sounds are played on a left
channel speaker

They are. They are played from the right speaker as well. As are all
of the sounds captured from all directions. Please explain how you
play that information only from the left speaker.

Again, this is really simple. Left sidewall sounds are recorded more
strongly in the left microphone, and are therefore stronger from the left
speaker than the right. Similar to the instruments on the left side of the
band, in intensity stereo. We do indeed play the left channel information
only from the left speaker.

that has some output that bounces off the left wall of your room,

Please explain how you direct only the reflected sound (from the
recording) that bounced off the Left wall of the venue, to bounce off
only the Left wall of your room.

Stronger from the left wall, due to the stronger recorded signal from that
side.

you get
that sound coming from the appropreate direction - from points in
space that are different from the primary sound, whch is coming from
the speaker first.

Please explain how the how the information is encoded in the
electrical signal to allow for the sound reflected off of the Left
wall, in the venue, to be removed from the "primary" sound coming
directly from the speaker.

It is not removed. But if we permit some of the output of the left speaker
to bounce off the left wall, there is what they call a "spatial broadening"
effect from recorded sounds that have some reverberance in them (from the
venue). This is easily audible if you have heard directional systems vs omni
speaker systems. Have you not ever noticed that?

If you can provide these explanations, please do so. Please refrain
from embellishment, as these three basics comprise the basis for my
disagreement with your theory. The electrical signals from the
microphone, or microphones, do not contain the requisite information
to "direct" the acoustic signals as you imply.

Well, in a way they do. The recording is in stereo, and by the time we are
finished placing the channel sounds where they belong in playback, directing
those acoustic signals where they belong - i.e. from locations similar to
the live model - then we have a very realistic playback.

What you describe above does happen, but you fail to address the
concomitant constraints - ALL the reflected sound and ALL of the
direct sound will be reflected off of that left wall of the room as
well (not just the desired reverberant information), so that
reflection will contain far more acoustic information than it did in
the venue. The ratio of direct to reflected sound will be completely
different as well.

No, there is a difference between channels. That is part of what stereo is
all about. If playback has been properly reconstructed the range of ratios
of direct to reflected will also be similar to the live sound. I think you
may be on the verge of discovering Image Model Theory. Just keep thinking
about all this stuff and try to stay with me, rather than resisting all the
time.

Right now just
imagine a light bulb on the left side of the room. It shines
(bounces) more of its output from the left side wall than any
others. NOT everywhere. Footnote, there is a lot more to speaker
positioning than I can relate in this short essay.

And when sound waves travel at the speed of light, this is a very
different discussion indeed. The analogy, however, is irrelevant to
the discussion. The answers to my questions above are quite relevant.

And I sincerely hope I have answered most of it!

[...]

OK, this is where you have to formulate a theory of reproduction that
explains just how this SHOULD be done. How does stereo work? There are many
ideas in the literature, such as the Blumlein patent, in which direction is
encoded by means of intensity, and the angles are retrieved on playback by
positioning the speakers at approx 60 degree angles such that the image will
form at the head of the listener. There is the Bell Labs Curtain of Sound in
which two or three speakers are just simulating the ideal system, which
would be an infinite number of speakers and microphones positioned along an
imaginary curtain in front of the performance. There is Sonic Holography, in
which crosstalk must be cancelled to separate the channels from each other
at the ears. There is Ambisonics, recorded with a single point Soundfield
microphone so that sounds from all directions might be encoded to come from
the correct direction at the head of the listener.

Nowadays these guys (in Europe I think) are trying for "Wave Field
Synthesis," which is a complex attempt to encode precise directionality from
the soundstage. Maybe you would be attracted to that. I wouldn't because it
says nothing about the reverberant field.

No matter which of these you tend toward, all engineers and theorists who
wish to tell us how to set up a playback system need to use something for a
model of what is happening with the recorded signals and their relationship
to the playback. Otherwise we are just flailing about, poking around with
The Big Three variables in a haphazard hope that we will stumble upon
something that works.

That sure seems to be a good description of the industry today, if you go to
a CES or and sudio show and take a look at all of the completely different
designs and try to find a common thread.

So OK, if my description of how you believe it works was all wrong, I beg
you to tell me now.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

KH wrote:
On 4/10/2013 8:04 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Keith -

This is getting a little out of control. You are taking an attitude about me
that puts a negative whammy on every syllable I say.

I am reading what you write. To clarify the point:

I did not mean anything
dismissive or ugly toward you. Sometimes I speak more conversationally than
engineeringly, but I am thinking my audience is regular folk like me who are
interested in a subject.

As if you could talk in engineering terms. Now, was that
conversational, or dismissive? See the point?

snip

You don't see this?

No. Permit me to interpret a paragraph that has been a major embarrassment
to me.

Everyone knows that the earth is round. It would be idiotic to state that
the earth is not flat to an audience of peers, so if you said that I would
have to assume you were getting at something deeper. AE and I have already
said that we wonder why you and Pierce keep going on about how a single
microphone can't record direction. we tell you that everyone knows that, so
what's your point. It takes two microphones to record stereo, no?

So when I say it would be idiotic to bring up that a single microphone can't
record stereo, I mean that everyone knows that, so why say it? I do not mean
that I think that it does record direction. Is that clear enough?

Frankly, it seems a rather facile attempt at rationalizing a clearly
inaccurate statement. It may be pedantic to state a single microphone
doesn't record directional information, but to describe a true statement
as "idiotic" is, shall we say, unusual.

Now, to deal with the "stereo" reference, neither microphone records
*any* directional information. Zero.

Now let me help both of you with this direction dilemma. Pierce says that
even with the stereo pair, we cannot decipher whether the sounds are coming
from 90 degrees up, straight behind, or 90 degrees down, or in front of us -
this information is all lost from the recording.

A clearly accurate statement you refuse to deal with directly.

I point out that we solve
this mystery by physical reconstruction of the recorded sound fields

And you *never*, *ever*, even attempt to explain how this happens. You
dodge *every* attempt at eliciting a clear explanation.

. WE
PLACE THE SOURCES straight ahead in front of us, in positions which are
geometrically similar to those of the instruments. We have all the
information we NEED to reconstruct a realistic image of the performance as
it existed. Can you see that my way just a little?

IF, and ONLY If, you do not add an attempt to create "another"
performance by reflecting sound all over the place.

snip

Well, no, I don't think we all agree on that. There is no "width"
information in either channels data. We agree that on playback of the
two channels, the differential between channels will be perceived as
spacial information. You can pan-pot instruments during mixing to
achieve the same thing, where "width" never existed, so physical
"width" is clearly not a parameter that is encoded in the recording.

This is getting silly again. Width means the lateral positioning of the
instruments. Width of the soundstage. That is what stereo is all about. Now
what are you talking about, there is no width in stereo?

No, you are getting evasive, yet again. I clearly said that in the case
of pan-potting of instruments into a recording *there is* NO PHYSICAL
width. It simply has no existence in the real world. Hence, the
"width" that exists in a stereophonic recording is not indicative of any
physical reality. If that "width" cannot be unambiguously associated
with physical reality, then it is not encoded in the signal as such. It
is an artifact of differential recording levels (which still excludes
front, rear, top, etc.).

snip

Please explain how you
play that information only from the left speaker.

Again, this is really simple. Left sidewall sounds are recorded more
strongly in the left microphone, and are therefore stronger from the left
speaker than the right. Similar to the instruments on the left side of the
band, in intensity stereo. We do indeed play the left channel information
only from the left speaker.

That is simply nonsense. So only the left microphone picks up
reverberant information from the left half of the hall? Really. How
does that happen? Is it higher level on the left, yes. That is not the
same thing.

that has some output that bounces off the left wall of your room,

Please explain how you direct only the reflected sound (from the
recording) that bounced off the Left wall of the venue, to bounce off
only the Left wall of your room.

Stronger from the left wall, due to the stronger recorded signal from that
side.

But also from the back wall, and the ceiling, and the right wall, and
from direct radiation. These are *all equal* - that is the point. ALL
of the sound originally bouncing off the left wall will be radiated
equally throughout the entire radiation cone of the speaker. In the
case of omni's or dipoles, that is basically all over the place.

you get
that sound coming from the appropreate direction - from points in
space that are different from the primary sound, whch is coming from
the speaker first.

Please explain how the how the information is encoded in the
electrical signal to allow for the sound reflected off of the Left
wall, in the venue, to be removed from the "primary" sound coming
directly from the speaker.

It is not removed. But if we permit some of the output of the left speaker
to bounce off the left wall, there is what they call a "spatial broadening"
effect from recorded sounds that have some reverberance in them (from the
venue). This is easily audible if you have heard directional systems vs omni
speaker systems. Have you not ever noticed that?

Yes. This is also what "they" call smearing. Once again, it is not
just the reverberant information that you "bounce" off the wall, it is
ALL of the information. This is completely different than the live
performance, in every directional respect.

If you can provide these explanations, please do so. Please refrain
from embellishment, as these three basics comprise the basis for my
disagreement with your theory. The electrical signals from the
microphone, or microphones, do not contain the requisite information
to "direct" the acoustic signals as you imply.

Well, in a way they do. The recording is in stereo,

Uhmm, sometimes.

and by the time we are
finished placing the channel sounds where they belong in playback, directing
those acoustic signals where they belong - i.e. from locations similar to
the live model - then we have a very realistic playback.

Ok so now you're saying your model only "works" when a studio recoding
is designed to be replayed according to your model? OK, I'll buy that.
So how many recordings are going to be recorded and mastered to be
tailor made for your model?

What you describe above does happen, but you fail to address the
concomitant constraints - ALL the reflected sound and ALL of the
direct sound will be reflected off of that left wall of the room as
well (not just the desired reverberant information), so that
reflection will contain far more acoustic information than it did in
the venue. The ratio of direct to reflected sound will be completely
different as well.

No, there is a difference between channels.

The statement has nothing to do with "channels". Each channel has
reverberant + direct information reflecting off the walls, and also has
reverberant + direct information coming directly at the listener. This
in no way mimics the live performance, where direct and reverberant do
not commingle. Once recorded, they are inextricably commingled, and
cannot be separated during replay. Additional reflection of this
commingled signal can only result in more smearing.

That is part of what stereo is
all about. If playback has been properly reconstructed the range of ratios
of direct to reflected will also be similar to the live sound.

Only if acoustic ratios were linear, which they are not. Once you take
the original ratio, record it, and then play it back, even with the same
ratio of direct to reverberant (e.g. same venue), the resulting ratio of
direct *information* versus reverberant *information* will be changed.
You will obviously hear the same ratio, in the same venue, but you have
to understand that on replay, both the direct and the reverberant fields
contain *both* direct and reverberant information when they initially
did not, and thus the effective ratio is altered.

I think you
may be on the verge of discovering Image Model Theory. Just keep thinking
about all this stuff and try to stay with me, rather than resisting all the
time.

How about you trying to stay with me? How about answering some direct
questions once in a while?

Right now just
imagine a light bulb on the left side of the room. It shines
(bounces) more of its output from the left side wall than any
others. NOT everywhere. Footnote, there is a lot more to speaker
positioning than I can relate in this short essay.

And when sound waves travel at the speed of light, this is a very
different discussion indeed. The analogy, however, is irrelevant to
the discussion. The answers to my questions above are quite relevant.

And I sincerely hope I have answered most of it!

Well, no. You've repeated the same, IMO flawed, understanding. You
continue to ignore the question of how adding both direct and
reverberant information to the "new" reverberant field, and adding both
direct and reverberant information to the direct sonic field bears any
resemblance to the original acoustic.

snip

OK, this is where you have to formulate a theory of reproduction that
explains just how this SHOULD be done.

No, it isn't. Once again, you revert to the assumption that there is
only ONE way that "works" and either you are right, or not. You assume
a binary where none does, nor can, exist.

How does stereo work? There are many
ideas in the literature, such as the Blumlein patent, in which direction is
encoded by means of intensity, and the angles are retrieved on playback by
positioning the speakers at approx 60 degree angles such that the image will
form at the head of the listener. There is the Bell Labs Curtain of Sound in
which two or three speakers are just simulating the ideal system, which
would be an infinite number of speakers and microphones positioned along an
imaginary curtain in front of the performance. There is Sonic Holography, in
which crosstalk must be cancelled to separate the channels from each other
at the ears. There is Ambisonics, recorded with a single point Soundfield
microphone so that sounds from all directions might be encoded to come from
the correct direction at the head of the listener.

Yep. None of these are accurate. None work for everyone, or every
equipment type. Your theory is no different.

Nowadays these guys (in Europe I think) are trying for "Wave Field
Synthesis," which is a complex attempt to encode precise directionality from
the soundstage. Maybe you would be attracted to that. I wouldn't because it
says nothing about the reverberant field.

No matter which of these you tend toward, all engineers and theorists who
wish to tell us how to set up a playback system need to use something for a
model of what is happening with the recorded signals and their relationship
to the playback. Otherwise we are just flailing about, poking around with
The Big Three variables in a haphazard hope that we will stumble upon
something that works.

I seriously doubt any of the names you dropped consider themselves to be
"flailing about" as you routinely describe it. People do not perceive
things in a uniform fashion. That is obvious. Why then do you expect
that there is a single "unified theory" of stereo that everyone will
agree is the best? Is there a single painting style that is "correct"?
Or a "correct" musical genera, or style?

It also makes no sense to assume, especially within the context of your
"new acoustical event" paradigm, that any one method or theory is
"correct". This makes no more sense that to state a particular
performance is more or less "accurate". It's a false distinction.

That sure seems to be a good description of the industry today, if you go to
a CES or and sudio show and take a look at all of the completely different
designs and try to find a common thread.

So OK, if my description of how you believe it works was all wrong, I beg
you to tell me now.

Well, let's start with your assumption that I like "a window into a
performance", I don't. Your assumption that I like "boxy sound" - zippo
again. How about your assumption that I like a soundfield that
"collapses" into two boxes - again, no cigar. These are all flaws that
you take for granted, and so you assume, a priori, that they exist
equally for all and sundry. But these are simply your opinions about
how certain things sound, and you project them, as truth, upon others as
a fait accompli.

I think we can tailor our playback systems to sound, within the
limitations of the commercial recordings available, as much like real
life as possible. For some that's dipoles, for some conventional
mini-monitors, for some it's the Bose 901 approach, for some - like me-
the Wilson approach to controlling reflections to create a realistic
sweet spot. That sweet spot, in my case, is relatively small. You
consider that a flaw, I don't care as it suits my listening style.
Hence the resistance to your "listening" test with the Orions, among
others, where one criterion is how stable the image is when moving
around the room. Who cares? Apparently you do, but many, like me,
couldn't care less. And it goes without saying that the more diffuse
the image you create, the more stable it will be as you move around the
room. In that case, stable image equates to pitiful imaging, as I
define it.

Clearly you believe that you are right, and the world is wrong. You
like what you like, I don't. Let's just leave it at that.

Keith

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

KH wrote:
for some it's the Bose 901 approach, ...

Clearly you believe that you are right, and the world is wrong.

On the theory that context is everything, perhaps a
revelation of context might be useful.

Unless my memory is faulty, and that is certainly a
possibility, I believe that Mr. Eickmeier has revealed
in the past that he is an advocate of the Bose 901, and
has further stated words to the effect that Bose doesn't
know how to set them up, and (to possibly risk exaggeration
to the point of possible hyperbole), it's Mr. Eickmeier's
claim that has the "secret" of setting Bose 901s up "properly."

Now, if my memory of these points is correct, people should
now have more information they can accept or reject Mr.
Eickmeier's claims, using a more complete knowledge of the
context surrounding his, well, theory.

If my memory is not correct, then I apologize for contributing
to the indistinct and muddy picture already in place.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

KH wrote:

[...]

I think that depends upon how you define "directional information". Hyper-cardioid,
cardioid, and figure-of-eight microphones are more-or-less DEFINED by their
directionality. I'd say that's "directional" information, by definition. OTOH, I
understand what you are saying. A microphone picks up a sound-field. Within
that sound field, the microphone has way of discriminating what sounds it picks
up. nor the direction from which those sounds come. For instance, a pair of cardioid
mikes on a 7-inch T-bar, placed in front of an orchestra or band and "aimed" 90
degrees apart from each other so that one mike faces 45 degrees to the left of canter
and the other faces 45 degrees to the right of center both pick up the whole orchestra;
right left center and behind the mike. It's just that their sensitivity to sounds
that occur off of the microphone's axis is attenuated compared to the mike's sensitivity
on-axis. This might manifest itself as a wide-band, deep attenuation off-axis, resulting
in a hyper-cardioid or super-cardioid pattern, or it may be merely a few dB and be frequency dependent. When used as a stereo pair, the directionality occurs because the left
microphone picks-up the left side of the band or orchestra better than the right side
because it's aimed at the left side and right-side information, though "heard" by the
left mike is attenuated by some amount. That amount of course depends upon how
well the microphone manufacturer has designed the microphone to attenuate off-axis
sounds. Because omni-directional mikes are designed to pick-up sounds with no
attenuation at 360 degrees, two such mikes on the same T-bar should yield mono
as 7-inches is too close together to be considered anything but the exact same location
to an omnidirectional pickup. In other words there would be no discernible difference
between the left track and the right track due to the close proximity of both
microphones. For this example we're assuming that the two omnis used are a identical
make and model. So, some microphones do pick-up directional information, it's just
indiscriminate of source location. A cardioid might pick up a loud noise in the back
of the hall where the mike, being pointed at the stage, is least sensitive, to be louder
than the instrument or instruments the mike is pointing directly at. On playback, no
one listening (who wasn't there at the time) will be able to tell from that noise, where
it came from. Back stage? Up in the theater fly-area? on stage? No clue at all because
the microphone is incapable of distinguishing location. Only a microphone's pick-up
pattern determines whether a sound is on or off axis. and only a difference in intensity
caused by the microphone's pick-up pattern and distance from the sound source be
can discerned.

If that's what you mean by microphones picking-up NO directional information, then I
think that we should all be in agreement and can move on.

Is that not so?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:45:06 AM UTC-7, ScottW wrote:
On Apr 13, 6:49am, "Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Gary,
It's more than a bit frustrating when after the following exchange :
start quote
"On Apr 12, 6:05 am, "Gary Eickmeier"
wrote:

It would be idiotic to state that a single microphone gives
no directional information, so I'm sure that is not what you mean.

I've been wondering why this conversation seems so confused but I
think I found the crux of the biscuit.
You need to accept that this idiocy is in fact true....and start
over.
end quote

Then you apparently want to exchange our positions with this
statement.

Okay, so Mr. Pierce, Keith Howard, and Scott W are
surprised that a single microphone can't record directional
information,

I think I am done here.

I can't tell if this is a few inadvertent typos or if you are really
this inconsistent in your position (and I think that is a very
generous and gentle way to put it).
FWIW, I think that some recordings (close mic'd and pan potted of the
kind AE deplores) create a superior illusion of instruments in the
room with me. Recordings of live performances that capture a sound
field complete with reverberant info etc. loose so much in replay from
2 speakers in a small room that the you are there illusion falls well
short of convincing IME.

ScottW

Yeah, Scott, I do "deplore" them. They aren't real, as in they don't
exist outside of the studio where they were made. They also aren't
"stereo". Stereo means, literally, "solid" as in having three
dimensions. Individually miked instruments have only ONE dimension,
width. The individual instruments can be placed anywhere on a straight
line, running between the extreme left of the soundstage to the
extreme right by the use of the mixing engineer's pan-pots. That's it;
there is no image depth, and no image height. Even any "ambience" is
artificially provided by use of a digital reverb device. This is done
for two reasons: First, studios go to great lengths not to have any,
and secondly, even if such a recording were made in Carnegie Hall, The
mikes used for multi-miking are so close to the individual instruments
and the difference between volume of the instrument that they are
capturing and the hall sound is so great, that any ambience will be so
far down in the mud, that it is simply not "heard" by the recording
device. Of course, one could put separate "ambience" mikes at
strategic points in the hall, and yes, some notorious multi-miking
producers have done this (notably J. David Saks who used to "produce"
those awful sounding Philadelphia Orchestra recordings in the heyday
or multi-miking, the late 1960's through much of the 1970's). Even
then the great Philadelphians still sounded ridiculous, all standing
in a "chorus line" stretched between the left and right speakers.....
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

[...]

There appears to be lots of literature available on how to add 3D to

dry studio tracks with the use of reverb and delay.

Don't even want to go there. The concept is ridiculous - from my point
of view.

Yes it's all artificial, but so is any reproduction...even if the

origin was a live event.

Some more so than others....

I've often wondered if a live event recording using mic's spaced ~10

ft. apart and 10 ft in front of the listeners position wouldn't yield

a reasonable recreation.

How many mikes? Three? It's been done. Mercury Living Presence from the 50's, 60's and Telarc in the late 70's - to about 2010. The Mercurys were more successful, IMNSHO.

The concept being the mics/speakers acting as repeaters of the

original event and therefore being similarly placed.

Seems odd to use mics spaced only 7" apart to be replayed on speakers

positioned quite further apart.

Think of it like a pair of "surrogate ears" (or eyes) looking at the orchestra from there the mikes are hung. look down the axis of the left mike, what do you see? the left side of the orchestra and much of the middle. Now look down the axis of the right microphone (remember these must be preferably cardioid mikes, though it works with crossed figure-of-eights as well; but with the latter, you have to
deal with the back side of the mike as well Great to pick up hall ambience in an empty hall, not at all
acceptable id there's am audience), what do you see? The right side of the audience and much of the middle. The mikes "see" the same thing. left sees left stage orchestra, right sees right stage orchestra. both see the middle.. Essentially what you get is left mike = (L+M) right mike =(R+M). Now this looks to be self evident but it really isn't. because you have to factor into the "equation" the fact that as the pickup from both these mikes gets further and further off axis, their pickup sensitivity falls off as well starting with the high frequencies. The place in the middle where the two pickup patterns cross, they ADD one to the other and it turns out that this fills the center with full pickup where with one or the other mike only, the center would be attenuated and lacking in highs. You do have to watch the outside pickup lobes of the mike pattern though. Those can catch you out. This is learned by experience. I can
tell you about it, but until you've experimented yourself you probably won't get it right. Since you can think of each mike's point of view as a cone, you can see that the closer to the mike, the smaller the on-axis pattern. The further, the larger that "sweet spot" will be. Eventually you will learn to look at how wide the ensemble seating will be and you will be able to judge the angle between the two mikes and
how far back from the conductor that you must place the mikes in order to get the L and R edges of the
ensemble "in the picture". Of course, we don't care how much the mikes roll-off beyond the sight-lines of the leftmost and right-most musicians.

I hope that clears it up for you. An easier way to get just as good stereo as an XY. A-B, ORTF or other
similar microphone schemes is to use MS miking. In this scheme, you mount two microphone heads
in the same, exact horizontal space, with one mike atop the other (this works best with a multi-pattern
stereo mike such as an Avantone CK-40). You set one mike to omnidirectional (like if you were making a monaural recording) and place it stage center behind the conductor. Just below (or above, it makes no difference) the first mike you mount a figure-of-eight mike with the two lobes pointing sideways (I.E., parallel to the stage) You feed the omni into one mike input on your mixer and set the pan-pot on that channel to center (mono). You then split the figure-of-eight mike feed into two feeds: one in-phase, and one out-of-phase (some mixers have switches for phase. Otherwise you have to hardwire one leg of the splitter out of phase, or use a phase swapping in-line transformer) Plug these two figure-of-eight feeds into the next two mike mixer inputs and set the left-most of the two channel's pan-pot all the way to the left and right most (the inverted phase feed) pan=pot all the way to the right. That means you need three mike inputs for this. With the level controls you can vary the pickup pattern of this MS mike from dead mono (only the omni being used) to full 120 degree stereo (full Figure-of-eight and full omni) or, by manipulating the amount of "S" in the mix, anything in between. If you're recording live, you can use a cardioid for the "M" mike. It will pick-up less audience. But the omni "M" mike is best.

Hope this is all clear.

A_E

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

ScottW wrote:

I've often wondered if a live event recording using mic's spaced ~10
ft. apart and 10 ft in front of the listeners position wouldn't yield
a reasonable recreation.
The concept being the mics/speakers acting as repeaters of the
original event and therefore being similarly placed.
Seems odd to use mics spaced only 7" apart to be replayed on speakers
positioned quite further apart.

ScottW

Quite an innocent question from one so knowledgeable! No, the one has
nothing to do with the other except maybe in the case of three spaced omnis.
For example, you can record an amazing perspective with the coincident
techniques of MS and XY microphones that have no spacing at all. You can do
almost as well with ORT-F, fairly closely spaced cardioids angled at about
120°.

One of my favorite techniques is 3 spaced omnis, positioned as you suggest
geometrically similar (that is, similar, not identical spacing) to the
positioning and spacing of the speakers at home. The main difference would
be positioning the mikes at a certain distance in front of the orchestra so
that their summing would image the instruments in between correctly and
there would be no hole in the middle. Care must be taken that you are not so
close to the front players that the rear of the orchestra sounds like they
are a mile away. Some elevation of the mikes can help even out these
loudnesses so that it sounds more natural when played back.

In general there is no direct relationship between the spacing of
microphones and speakers like you ask about. Recording is an art aimed at
the final result as heard on most playback systems. Nothing is off limits,
such as highlight mikes for the quieter instruments or the soloists, or
accent mikes such as the outboard omnis used by John Eargle. Several of my
friends get amazing results with Mid Side, including Audio Empire. I have
been trying two spaced omnis on a high bar, but I am not satisfied with the
separation at the distances that I am forced to record live performances, so
I will change something next season.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Dick Pierce wrote:
KH wrote:
[...]

No apology necessary - your memory is correct sir! But no, as usual, you
haven't explained anything about my theory, so let me give you the Readers
Digest version.

First, "the answer" is that I am using four 901s plus center channel of my
own making and a Velodyne F1800 that I purchased from Howard Ferstler, all
in my 21 x 31 foot dedicated home theater listening room. Howard came down
and reviewed my system in The Sensible Sound a while back. The front 901s
are positioned in an unusual way, 5 ft out from the front wall and 5 ft in
from the side walls, in accordance with my positioning theory. Such
positioning is more in line with audiophile practice than Bose owners manual
suggestions.

Do you remember my Big Three of speaker positioning, frequency response, and
room acoustics? Siegfried Linkwitz asked a question of the AES about these
factors, which factors are the main determinants of the sound of a speaker
system in a room. The question was how to optimize them for the realistic
reproduction of auditory perspective - realism. He called it the Auditory
Scene, or AS. From my Image Model Theory, I already knew the answer to those
questions, so I entered a home made speaker in the listening test series
that my audio club volunteered to run to answer The Challenge, as it was
called. I made some cheap speakers whose main design feature was a greater
output to the rear than to the front of the box, and told them how to
position them. After the first round of blind testing everyone was very
surprised to learn that my design won over the Orions and the Behringers.

My Damascus moment came one fine day when I was stationed overseas in
England and I decided to experiment with my 901s and position them more like
standard audiophile practice. I moved them out a lot farther from all walls
and beheld a focusing of the imaging that stunned me to the extent that I
wrote to Bose to ask them why they didn't tell us about this in the owners
manual. My letter struck Dr. Bose to the extent that he phoned me and talked
about acoustics, D/R ratios, and speaker design for an hour and a quarter. I
visited the factory on redeployment as I passed through Boston and spoke
with Dr. Bose and his chief engineer, Joe Veranth. Joe told me about a
technique from architectural acoustics called image modeling, in which you
can draw the effects of speaker radiation pattern and positioning by drawing
the virtual images on the other side of the reflecting surfaces rather than
ray tracing. This opened up a very visual way of looking at the problem and
comparing the live model with the reproduction model, which insight led me
to my paper to explain it all that I presented at the AES in 1989. It is
called An Image Model Theory for Stereophonic Sound. I would be glad to send
you a PDF of it in Email.

Since that time I have continued to research all aspects of it, looking for
anything that would disprove it, but everything I read and hear only
confirms and supports it.

The reason for my zeal, beyond my enthusiasm for the kind of sound I am
getting at home, is that the interrelationships of the possible variations
of The Big Three are complex enough that others are not likely to stumble
upon the correct combination as I did except by chance, which chance is so
low because it would never occur to anyone other than Bose to design a
negative directivity index (more sound to the rear than the front) into a
speaker. It goes against what most engineers are taught about what causes
stereo perception - as you probably are familiar with!

The concept is so different from what you would read in the textbooks that I
am concerned that the industry is operating on an entirely wrong theory
about how stereo works, one that is counter productive to the supposed goal
of the listening experience, which is precisely what AE has asked about in
the OP for this thread - why don't recordings sound more real, more like
they are right there in front of us in our room?

Curiously, upon doing some research into the history of stereo systems, I
discovered that the pioneers knew the answer long before these questions
resurfaced about what we are doing with the process (of recording and
reproduction). Both Harry Olson and William B. Snow warned us that the terms
stereophonic and binaural were continually confused with one another, and
Snow defined the stereophonic as a field-type system in which speakers were
placed in a playback room in positions that were geometrically similar to
the positions of the microphones in order to produce a sound field in the
room that is similar to that which was recorded. Binaural is a head-related
system in which we record ear input signals for direct presentation to the
ears. It is this system in which HRTF, head shadowing, and elimination of
the playback environment are important.

In all texts on how stereo imaging works you will see two speakers and a
listener in an equilateral triangle, with nothing about The Big Three
anywhere to be found. We started with the definition as a field type system,
but as far as the explanation of it goes, the room might as well not exist.
Enter Image Model Theory. We must study recording and reproducing sound
fields in rooms, not ear input signals.

That is my, well, theory, if you care to learn more about it.

Gary Eickmeier.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Dick Pierce wrote:

KH wrote:

[...]

And precisely why is it MY job to "explain" YOUR theory?
You're done a miserable job of explaining it, it would seem,
to anyone but yourself.

And your theory is not a theory, not by any accepted
scientific and technical usage of the term. It's your
story, you're sticking to it. But it's not a theory.

Where are the testable, falsifiable predictions of your
theory, to just give one of many examples of the properties
and attributes that might qualified it as a candidate for
a theory?

When I last pressed you on some of your assertions over
a year ago, you defended your story, for example, by saying
that you got a phone call from Amar Bose, like that means
ANYTHING.

so let me give you the Readers Digest version.

And Readers Digest is the LAST place I would look for
any coherent explanation of any technical topic. But,
thus far, that's all you've provided.

My take is that you like your Bose 901s. You really,
REALLY like them. You drank the Bose kool-aid. Now you
construct an entire world view whose puropose is to
make that fact self-consistent. And you manage the
cognitive dissonance created by the surrounding physical
reality and its contradiction to the world you created
by being dismissive of other views, by name dropping, by
refusing to address technical challenges using reasoned
technical, fact-based arguments, outright denial of
physical contradictions in your story, fabrication of
positions and viewpoints of others not sharing your kool-
aid, and by blaming others for not "explaining anything
about your theory."

And that's my story, and I'm sticking to it until I am
presented with compelling evidence that might suggest
that story needs modification.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

KH wrote:

Clearly you believe that you are right, and the world is wrong. You
like what you like, I don't. Let's just leave it at that.

Keith

I wrote an Email to Keith to offer him a paper I wrote to explain all of
this systemic theory in great detail, but he has not responded so I don't
know if he got it or not. So I throw it open to all. The paper was written
after my basic Image Model Theory paper was rejected by the people at the
AES who do the peer reviewing for publication. I asked them for comments and
it showed that they didn't understand a word I said about the difference
between a field-type system and a head-related system. So I wrote a second,
more basic paper that painstakingly shows the difference by using an
imaginary trip to Mars a hundred years from now to explain the field-type
system to the Martians, who knew only trinaural as their system for their 3
eared heads. They needed a recording and reproduction system that has
nothing to do with the number of ears or the shape of the head for all of
the beings who wanted to share music. The AES team introduces them to the
field-type system known as stereophonic, and in the process goes over the
entire process in great detail and shows how it works and how we can reduce
the number of channels without losing too much information.

The paper was never submitted because it was somewhat tongue in cheek and
was written more like a magazine article than a technical paper. It was
written before the Archimedes project was finished, and it assumed great
hope that they would discover some of the answers to questions that I had
about speakers and rooms. Alas, they never did much with that project and I
couldn't contribute to it. I talked to Soren Bech one fine day at a
convention, but no communication was established or attempted. The paper was
published in the BAS Speaker, I forget which issue, but I would be glad to
send the PDF to anyone interested in an unusual way of talking about
stereo - analyzing it brick by brick and then putting it back together again
in modern form. If you are curious at all about all this field-type system
talk, this article will hit you over the head with it - so to speak.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

I would just add that I have a few of AE's most excellent recordings and he
knows what he is talking about. They stretch from wall to wall in my system,
with terrific ambience and localization of individual images. His success in
recording is one reason for this thread - he is asking why the commercial
recordings can't seem to get it right if he can do it so easily. I agree.

Also, I have experimented with MS by manually positioning my AT 2050s one
atop the other and using them in figure of eight pattern. Then, when I get
home with the two tracks, I can combine them in the correct matrix to turn
them into stereo again and manipulate the degree of separation in Adobe
Audition 2.0. This involves inverting one of the channels of the Side
microphone and adding each side to the Mid mike to get R and L. This can be
a very flexible system for adjusting apparent width of image in post, but is
a lot harder than just using an XY pair and not worrying about converting to
R and L. I'm just too anxious to hear the result when I get home!

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
KH wrote:
Clearly you believe that you are right, and the world is wrong. You
like what you like, I don't. Let's just leave it at that.

I wrote an Email to Keith to offer him a paper I wrote to explain all of
this systemic theory in great detail, but he has not responded so I don't
know if he got it or not. So I throw it open to all. The paper was written
after my basic Image Model Theory paper was rejected by the people at the
AES who do the peer reviewing for publication.

Q.E.D.

I asked them for comments and it showed that they didn't
understand a word I said

That's what YOU think it showed YOU. Since you have not shared
ANY of your comments with us, we are presented with not factual
content of the comments, but only your interpretation of those
comments.

Your once again dismissive, belittling tone suggests to this
person that you didn't understand their comments. That their
comments were not supportive of your position is plausible.
That you took that lack of support as "proof" that they
"didn't understand a word you said," given your history,
is not only plausible, but expected.

So pretend someone comes up with a "theory" that relates
Euler's identity to the aggregated hyperfine structure
constant of of the contact area between the landing pads
of the Apollo 11 lander and then "demonstrates" that that
proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was undetectable
aliens in miniature invisible asteroids that fired the
fatal shot from the grassy knoll under the orders of
the Trilateral Commission, and the paper is rejected by
the peer review comittee, who didn't understand a word
that person said, therefore, it's the review comittee
that's wrong?

A hyperbole, to be sure, but I suspect someone will get
the point.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Dick Pierce wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

[...]

As I said, I would be glad to send you the PDF of my basic paper, plus the
Mars paper that goes a little deeper into the field-type vs the head-related
type systems, as defined by Snow and Olson.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Dick Pierce wrote:

So pretend someone comes up with a "theory" that relates
Euler's identity to the aggregated hyperfine structure
constant of of the contact area between the landing pads
of the Apollo 11 lander and then "demonstrates" that that
proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was undetectable
aliens in miniature invisible asteroids that fired the
fatal shot from the grassy knoll under the orders of
the Trilateral Commission, and the paper is rejected by
the peer review comittee, who didn't understand a word
that person said, therefore, it's the review comittee
that's wrong?

A hyperbole, to be sure, but I suspect someone will get
the point.

Wow - congratulations! Unasailable!

But I would rather imagine a lone scientist coming up with a theory that it
is not the sun revolving around the earth, but the earth and all of the
planets revolving around the sun. The church immediately labels him a kook
and has him locked up in a tower and observed for sanity.

Could never happen, but I am sure "someone" might get the point.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Apr 16, 3:46=A0pm, Audio_Empire wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:45:06 AM UTC-7, ScottW wrote:
On Apr 13, 6:49am, "Gary Eickmeier" wr=

ote:
Gary,
=A0It's more than a bit frustrating when after the following exch=

ange :
start quote
=A0"On Apr 12, 6:05 am, "Gary Eickmeier" =

=A0It would be idiotic to state that a single microphone gives
no directional information, so I'm sure that is not what you me=

an.
I've been wondering why this conversation seems so confused but I
think I found the crux of the biscuit.
You need to accept that this idiocy is in fact true....and start
over.
end quote

Then you apparently want to exchange our positions with this
statement.

Okay, so Mr. Pierce, Keith Howard, and Scott W are
surprised that a single microphone can't record directional
information,
I think I am done here.

=A0I can't tell if this is a few inadvertent typos or if you are =

really
this inconsistent in your position (and I think that is a very
generous and gentle way to put it).
FWIW, I think that some recordings (close mic'd and pan potted of=

the
kind AE deplores) create a superior illusion of instruments in th=

room with me. =A0Recordings of live performances that capture a s=

[...]

=A0There appears to be lots of literature available on how to add 3D =

dry studio tracks with the use of reverb and delay.

Don't even want to go there. The concept is ridiculous - from my point
of view.

Yes it's all artificial, but so is any reproduction...even if the
origin was a live event.

Some more so than others....

I've often wondered if a live event recording using mic's spaced ~10
ft. apart and 10 ft in front of the listeners position wouldn't yield
a reasonable recreation.

How many mikes? Three?

Two should suffice.
It's been done. Mercury Living Presence from the 50's, 60's and Telarc i=

n the late 70's - to about 2010. The Mercurys were more successful, IMNSHO=
..
I am under the impression they were spaced quite a bit further
=20
apart...needing a 3rd mic to capture center. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, the right and left mike are indeed about 20 feet apart, but the cente=
mike was 10 ft from either. Actually, according to C.R. Fine, who I had a=
=20
chance to talk to over lunch at a AES convention at the Waldorf-Astoria bac=
k=20
in the 1970's, his rule-of-thumb was to place a microphone in the middle,=
=20
equi-distant from the left and right boundaries or the ensemble being recor=
ded.
Then he would bisect the first microphone and the edge of the ensemble on t=
he=20
left and right and with the two side mikes. He said that usually they ended=
-up
about 10 ft from mike to mike (give or take five). Robert Woods aped Fine f=
or
his Telarc miking technique (only he got his info from Robert Eberenz, who =
was
Fine's "assistant" (actually, Bob Fine, Bob Eberenz and Wilma Cozart Fine W=
ERE
Mercury records in the 50's and 60's)=20
=20

=20
The concept being the mics/speakers acting as repeaters of the
original event and therefore being similarly placed.

Seems odd to use mics spaced only 7" apart to be replayed on speakers
positioned quite further apart.

Think of it like =A0a pair of "surrogate ears" (or eyes) looking at the=

orchestra from
there the mikes are hung. look down the axis of the left mike, what do =

you see?
=20
I am thinking of the reciprocity principle discussed earlier where
those ears are now speakers some 10' feet or so apart.
The phase relationship between the two signals relative to the
original event would be disturbed.

Actually, so called "coincident" miking methods (A-B, X-Y, M-S, ORTF (to a =
lesser extent because=20
it uses 110 degrees between capsules instead of 90 degrees) are the only st=
ereo microphone arrangements that are phase coherent. You can take a stereo=
recording from any of the above=20
and then sum the two channels together on playback and get perfect mono, wi=
th absolutely no loss. You cannot do that with spaced omnis. They are NOT p=
hase coherent and will not blend to mono without loss.=20

the left side of the orchestra and much of the middle. Now look down the=

axis of the right microphone (remember these must be preferably cardioid m=
ikes, though it works with crossed figure-of-eights as well; but with the l=
atter, you have to
deal with the back side of the mike as well Great to pick up hall ambie=

nce in an empty hall, not at all
acceptable id there's am audience), what do you see? The right side of =

the audience and much of the middle. The mikes "see" the same thing. left s=
ees left stage orchestra, right sees right stage orchestra. both see the mi=
ddle. Essentially what you get is left mike =3D (L+M) right mike =3D(R+M). =
[...]

to the left and right most (the inverted phase feed) pan=3Dpot all the way=
to the right. That means you need three mike inputs for this. With the lev=
el controls you can vary the pickup pattern of this MS mike from dead mono =
(only the omni being used) to full 120 degree stereo (full Figure-of-eight =
and full omni) or, by manipulating the amount of "S" in the mix, anything i=
n between. If you're recording live, you can use a cardioid for the "M" mik=
e. It will pick-up less audience. But the omni "M" mike is best.

Hope this is all clear.

=20
Yes, I appreciate the detail discussion of amplitude capture.....but
=20
I still think keeping the spacing close to the speakers may help
=20
maintain the phase relationships between the channels of the original
=20
event and enhance the sense of the original space in recreation.

Actually, just the opposite is true. While the fact that coincident miking =
preserves=20
perfect phase coherence within the recording allowing one to get mono witho=
ut
loss is not really important from a practical point of view any more (we do=
n't need
to make both stereo and mono records anymore), It is still an important tes=
t to=20
determine phase coherence of a system in order to insure stable imaging and=
=20
soundstage.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

On 4/16/2013 12:59 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:
On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:46:30 AM UTC-7, KH wrote:
On 4/15/2013 4:52 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

KH wrote:

snip

If that's what you mean by microphones picking-up NO directional information, then I
think that we should all be in agreement and can move on.

Is that not so?

Yes, basically. The signal recorded by any microphone is, of course,
dictated by the placement and response of the microphone. But, and it's
a huge "but", there is no information on the recording that *identifies*
how the microphone altered the signal, and thus no information available
on playback that would allow a signal, from a cardioid for example, to
be adjusted such that the levels would be equalized for the
directionality and sensitivity of the microphone.

So the signal is definitely affected, but the information to "undo" that
effect simply isn't in the 2-d signal.

Keith

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

On 4/17/2013 6:36 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
KH wrote:

Clearly you believe that you are right, and the world is wrong. You
like what you like, I don't. Let's just leave it at that.

Keith

I wrote an Email to Keith to offer him a paper I wrote to explain all of
this systemic theory in great detail, but he has not responded so

snip

Yes, he did get it, but he's been in the air more than on the ground
this week, and rather busy. I would be happy to read your paper;
however, if your response, should I disagree with your 'clarified'
theory, is that I'm simply another one of the great unwashed incapable
of your depth of understanding, then please save us both some time and
refrain from responding.

If you want to *DISCUSS* your theory, or suppositions, then fine. If,
however, the likely outcome is that you will think me a fool for
disagreeing with you, then I'm loathe to 'prove' you right by foolishly
indulging you. To quote Michael Rennie, "the choice is yours".

Keith
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

I am willing to deal with Mr. Eickmeier only if he is willing to
the specific objections I and others have brough forth. If he
wants to answer the points I have brought up below and previously,
fine, we can have a discussion.

I have written several specific questions, and I would like
Mr. Eickmeier to attempt to answer them with appropriate,
relevant answers. I don't necessarily care what the answers
are, just that he address them.

KH wrote:
On 4/19/2013 4:47 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
KH wrote:
Yes, he did get it, but he's been in the air more than on the ground
this week, and rather busy. I would be happy to read your paper;
however, if your response, should I disagree with your 'clarified'
theory, is that I'm simply another one of the great unwashed incapable
of your depth of understanding, then please save us both some time and
refrain from responding.

If you want to *DISCUSS* your theory, or suppositions, then fine. If,
however, the likely outcome is that you will think me a fool for
disagreeing with you, then I'm loathe to 'prove' you right by
foolishly indulging you. To quote Michael Rennie, "the choice is
yours".
Keith

Lets handle it this way. I wrote a nice response to Dick Pierce last
night,
but it didn't get posted or responded to - must not have gone through. I
will just re-post it here for you and whoever else is interested. I
realize
I may have seemed a little mysterious and combative because I think I
have
explained myself when I haven't. So here is a taste of it, which of
course
is not the full version but if you still think I am a nutcase then you
probably wouldn't want to read the rest. Please let me know.

I never said or intend to implied that you were a nutcase. Merely that
you have consistently, and persistently, dismissed all dissenters of
your theory as idiots, or "poor dumb *******s". You will find few
people who are interested in discussions with such a person. One mans
"mysterious and combative" is another mans "arrogant and condescending".

I would at once provide both an explicit example as well
as an opporutinty for Mr. Eickmeier to follow a different
path.

Take his statement:

"The paper was written after my basic Image Model Theory
paper was rejected by the people at the AES who do the
peer reviewing for publication. I asked them for comments
and it showed that they didn't understand a word I said."

I would be willing to bet good hard cash that the comments did
not say "we don't understand a word you said," or anything like
that. Mr. Eickmeier, do you want to take the bet?

Instead, why don't you actually publish their comments? Leave it
to the collective to decide what they said and what they meant.
Publish them right here.

Specific question: Mr. Eickmeier: what EXACTLY were the objections
raided by the AES review committee?

You keep talking about your "theory" yet, no intent to insult,
your approach is about as anithetical to the scientific process
as one might imagine.

Part of the scienctific process when you profer something that
is new is that it has to withstand a rather brutal gauntlet of
valid, skeptical examination and criticism. And real scientists
have to be willing to realize that they might be wrong. I think
it's clear, simply by the record in front of us, you have been
anything but: you have dismissed any contrary view of your theory
out of hand, in one case, stating that a group of acknowledged
experts simply "didn't understand a word [you] said."

Perhaps you've heard the aphorism "If the pupil hasn't learned, the
teacher hasn't taught"?

Precisely.

FIrst. Mr. Eickmeier, how about explicitly adressing the objects.
Instead, you have been evasive and diversionary.

Now, let's look at what YOU need to do to have your hypothesis
taken seriously. And that is, if you want to call it a theory,
you have to follow the rules.

A hypothesis, to be taken seriously, must make predictions
that are testable. This is the principle of "falsifiability."
The tests must be able to be performed by any reasonably
competent party and generate clear outcomes which can then
be interpeted by reasonable independent parties as to whether
they support or refute your hypothesis.

Specific question:
Do you understand the scientific model?
Do you understand the principles of testability
and falsifiability?

Let's take a real example: Einstein's General Theory of Relativity
makes very specific predictions that are testable. FOr example,
it says that the sun's gravity causes a warping of space time,
and that, as a result, the apparent positions of stars close to
the sun should be changed by a certain amount. This is a testable
prediction, and makes this particular element of the theory
falsifiable: measure the positions of stars close to the sun: if
they change by the predicted amount, that supports that aspect of
the thoery. If they are not, that refutes that aspect of the theory.

Specific question:
What testable predictions does your model make that an
independent party can test and then examine the outcomes,
determining if that aspect of your theory making the
prediction is supported or refuted by the outcomes?

I see none. Therefore, based on the widely accepted usage of the
term "theory" in the scientific realm, I assert you have no theory.
Again, this is not meant as an insult, but a statement of fact as
I interpret it.

Let me provide a counterexample: a "theory" which states that
a person can levitate themselves only when no one is looking.
Tthat theory is not testable and therefore not falsifiable. There
is no observation, no test that can be performed by an independent
party that results in an outcome that either supports or refutes
the theory. How does one, for example, observe the levitiaion
when observation itsdelf prevents levitation?

Specific question:
Do you understand why this example does not qualify
as a valid theory?

Specific question:
Under the principles of the scientific method, does your
"model" qualify as a valid theory or not?

And because you're claims do not have the foundations of a
falsifiable theory, allowing others to independently and
objectively test its predictions, statements YOU have made
like:

"But no, as usual, you haven't explained anything about
my theory,"

incline me to simply dismiss your claims out of hand. You seem
to be utterly unwilling to meet the burden of proof, the burden
that is ENTIRELY yours and no one else's, necessary for your
"thoery" to be taken seriously.

And, I would expect, that is really the reason why the AES
review committee rejected your paper..

Specific question:
Is it POSSIBLE that the reason your paper was rejected is
because it failed to meet the criteria of a valid theory,
and NOT because "they didn't understand a word [you] said?"

Specific question:
Is it possible that if they really didn't understand a word
you said, it might be because either what you said or how
you said it?

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article ,
ScottW wrote:

On Apr 17, 1:44*pm, Audio_Empire wrote:

*Yes, I appreciate the detail discussion of amplitude capture.....but

I still think keeping the spacing close to the speakers may help

maintain the phase relationships between the channels of the original

event and enhance the sense of the original space in recreation.

Actually, just the opposite is true. While the fact that coincident miking
preserves
perfect phase coherence within the recording allowing one to get mono
without
loss is not really important from a practical point of view any more (we
don't need
to make both stereo and mono records anymore), It is still an important
test to
determine phase coherence of a system in order to insure stable imaging and
soundstage.

The objective is not being able to sum to mono without loss.
Loss (phase cancellation) exists within the original venue and it
would seem necessary
to tolerate it if the objective is to recreate the original
perspective of a seat in the venue.

It would appear that recording engineers have long taken liberty to
provide a better than the
best seat in the house perspective.
Perhaps it should not be so surprising that I find my home listening
generally
more satisfying than most live events.

ScottW

Well, it certainly can be. When I listen to the Boston Symphony live
broadcasts on Saturday nights, I get a much better "seat" than do the
patrons at Symphony Hall.

Likewise, many recordings in my library offer the same advantage, and
some image almost as well as "live" too. While it might be nice to "see"
the performance as well (by way of a Blu-Ray disc), not the way PBS does
concerts. I'd want a fixed camera, set in the hall so that the whole
orchestra will fit nicely onto a 16 X 9 hi-def screen and then
HANDS-OFF. I hate watching a video production of a symphony. The
musical perspective is fixed while the cameras are constantly moving.
makes me sick (not literally, you understand). I say make the
combination of the microphones (two, only, thank you - oh and
perhaps some accent or soloist mikes if needed) and the camera give the
viewer the best seat in the house and then leave well enough alone. They
can't, of course. They're "video artistes".

A-E

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

KH wrote:
On 4/19/2013 4:47 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I never said or intend to implied that you were a nutcase. Merely
that you have consistently, and persistently, dismissed all
dissenters of your theory as idiots, or "poor dumb *******s". You
will find few people who are interested in discussions with such a
person. One mans "mysterious and combative" is another mans
"arrogant and condescending".

I guess I'm not going to outlive that one, so let me 'splain. Have you ever
seen "Patton" the movie? In it, George C. Scott makes a pep talk to the
troops before going into battle. He says something like "the goal is not to
die for your country - it is to make the other poor dumb ******* die for HIS
country." I always thought that was funny, and my statement is nothing more
than that - a joke.

Perhaps you've heard the aphorism "If the pupil hasn't learned, the
teacher hasn't taught"?

I am an Air Force instructor, and I know how to teach. I hope I have made up
for past losses.

The answer to this, as I see it, is that Dick and I both know "what
you've done" with your system, and the mental/visual model you have
constructed that you feel explains how it works to create "realism".
The crux is that there isn't a "theory" behind that visual model that
describes how it can actually work. You've also said a number of
times that you want others to get interested in your "model" so
*they* can help delineate a mathematical/physical theoretical basis
for what you've intuited. Well, that does not a "theory", in any
classical sense, make. That's kind of the starting point, that leads
to:

I have been told that it is more of a hypothesis, but I disagree. I am
doing it in my home and listening to the result every day.

I would say that the main theoretical basis of the whole concept is
to get the SPATIAL characteristic correct within your room by means
of physically reconstructing the important aspects of the whole
acoustical situation.

And yet, you cannot, or will not, accept that you do not have, within
the recorded signal, the information required to do that accurately. So
you construct, not reconstruct, a reflected field that sounds to
you like what you feel are the "important aspects" of the venue.

OK I think this is the place where I can go into my next speech (lesson).
You say there is a problem that the recording doesn't contain enough
information to determine all of the spatial aspects of the recorded venue.
So therefore we cannot reconstruct it at home. So my question to you would
be, what are you doing about it? Do you just give up on the concept of
stereo?

No, you don't. You handle the problem in much the same say as I do. You
place two (at least two) speakers in front of you in a room, so that the
lateral localization might be brought out on playback. You decide where the
speakers will go and now to treat the room and where to sit. This is an
attempt to reconstruct the spatial characteristic contained in the
recording. You cannot, for example, put one speaker on top of the other, or
even on opposite sides of you, you must construct a soundstage in front of
you with a reasonable resemblance to the geometry of the original, which is
almost always a presentation in front of you with a certain lateral spread
that we - and the Acoustical Society of America, and most band leaders and
producers, have come to know and love.

The main difference between us is that you don't take it as far as I do.
Remember The Big Three that Linkwitz asked about? We both need to decide on
those factors in our reproduction, and to do that we need some sort of
paradigm, or model, of what it is that we are doing with the system in order
for it to work. If you study the live model, you can see all of the spatial,
spectral, and temporal aspects of it. No matter who you are or what your
paradigm or ideas are, you must somehow account for a translation of those
characteristics from the live model to the reproduction. If you don't, it
will sound DIFFERENT. You simply cannot put this immense, complex sound
field through two points in space in front of you and expect it to sound the
same.

OK, pause for now.

The
direct, early reflected, and reverberant sounds will be made to come
from the appropriate directions if the playback model mimics a
typical live model as closely as possible.

No, they will not, because the information required to do so is not in
the recorded signal. You state this over and over but never provide
any mechanism how this can actually happen. The direct, early
reflected, and reverberant sounds *on the recording* cannot be
disambiguated from the time variant scalar signal, and thus all of
these pieces of the original acoustic will be reflected equally from
all directions, not just the appropriate directions. The effect may
well sound "realistic" to you, fine, but what you claim happens
simply defies physics.

Yes, they can. I will only say this once, and hope that you latch onto it.

The Image Model is a spatially arrayed, temporally delayed, spectrally
shaped sound field synthesizer that attempts to decode the direct and early
reflected sound contained in the recording in much the same way as a Dolby
Pro Logic delay sytem can bring out the ambience contained in the recording
without destroying the soundstage that belongs in front of the room.

The recorded signal contains a stream, or train, of pulses from the first
arrival transients to the recorded reverberation from spatially separate
areas around the instruments. The Image Model features two real speakers
that just happen to be closest to you of the 8 in the model. THEREFORE,
first arrival transients will be heard from the actual speakers first, and
this precedence effect is a very strong one, psychoacoustically speaking,
and results in a separation between first arrival and later reverberation
contained in the recording. There can be only one first arrival, and it has
to come from the actual speakers and nowhere else.

So the mechanism that you ask for is the precedence effect, and it works the
same in the Model as it does in a delay based surround ambience extraction
system. If the recording contains no ambience, all that happens is a
harmless image shift toward the reflecting surfaces, resulting in
localization of the auditory event a little behind the plane of the
speakers. If there is ambience, there is a spatial broadening effect as per
well known principles.

And the primary question that you've refused, many times, to answer
is: If I, and Dick Pierce, and AE all sat down in your listening
room, with your IMT optimized system, and we all felt that it did indeed
sound contrived, unrealistic, with sound "splashed all over the
walls" as AE describes it, *are we wrong*? This is a simple binary
that you never answer - and won't now unless I miss my guess -
because to answer, either way, would be to recognize that "realism"
is in the ear of the beholder. There are many avenues to get near
that goal, but you seem to want your method to be recognized as the
Grail, and thus never answer the simple question regarding preference.

Keith

That is one of the most fascinating aspects of this hobby. Seems like you
can't sit two of us down and have us agree on which is the best system.
Seems like we should have all gravitated to a system with certain common
characteristics by this late stage, but it may never happen. Perceptual
abilities and experience vary. I think that very few people pay that much
attention to these spatial factors in listening to music. John Atkinson has
a theory that some people can't hear stereo. I'm not sure. All I do know is
that I liisten intently for these imaging factors every time I listen to any
system. I wish you could hear my system so that this would not be so
theoretical.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Dick Pierce wrote:
[...]

No. Silly question.

Instead, why don't you actually publish their comments? Leave it
to the collective to decide what they said and what they meant.
Publish them right here.

If I can find them - and I think I can - I could extract from them. Would
that be OK? But you would have to read my first paper before you could tell.
Again, to be perfectly clear, what I said was that I wrote the second paper,
the Mars paper, as a result of the comments I got from the reviewers.

Specific question: Mr. Eickmeier: what EXACTLY were the objections
raided by the AES review committee?

I will take a look. So long ago! Might be fun.

[...]

Yes.

Let's take a real example: Einstein's General Theory of Relativity
makes very specific predictions that are testable. FOr example,
it says that the sun's gravity causes a warping of space time,
and that, as a result, the apparent positions of stars close to
the sun should be changed by a certain amount. This is a testable
prediction, and makes this particular element of the theory
falsifiable: measure the positions of stars close to the sun: if
they change by the predicted amount, that supports that aspect of
the thoery. If they are not, that refutes that aspect of the theory.

Specific question:
What testable predictions does your model make that an
independent party can test and then examine the outcomes,
determining if that aspect of your theory making the
prediction is supported or refuted by the outcomes?

Simply that my system sounds different from a direct firing speaker system,
and the difference is an improvement. That was tested somewhat in The
Challenge experiment. Most engineers and experimenters know that radiation
pattern and room positioning are easily audible. Dr. Mark Davis has said
that the frequency response and radiation pattern are the major determinants
of the sound of a speaker. I have added room positioning. So the question is
how to optimize those and why. I have proposed a comprehensive model and the
rationale for it, and I listen to the result every day. This is not a
pipedream or hypothesis on whether the idea might work and be an
improvement. The 901s are a pretty good substitute for my ideal speaker
until I can build one that suits me, but they are not precisely what I am
talking about, and the Bose products have nothing to do with this
discussion.

I see none. Therefore, based on the widely accepted usage of the
term "theory" in the scientific realm, I assert you have no theory.
Again, this is not meant as an insult, but a statement of fact as
I interpret it.

Address the ideas, not the definition of a theory vs a hypothesis. I really
don't care what you call it, just please begin talking to me about it.

Let me provide a counterexample: a "theory" which states that
a person can levitate themselves only when no one is looking.
Tthat theory is not testable and therefore not falsifiable. There
is no observation, no test that can be performed by an independent
party that results in an outcome that either supports or refutes
the theory. How does one, for example, observe the levitiaion
when observation itsdelf prevents levitation?

Specific question:
Do you understand why this example does not qualify
as a valid theory?

Yes. Because it is silly.

Specific question:
Under the principles of the scientific method, does your
"model" qualify as a valid theory or not?

Yes.

And because you're claims do not have the foundations of a
falsifiable theory, allowing others to independently and
objectively test its predictions, statements YOU have made
like:

"But no, as usual, you haven't explained anything about
my theory,"

incline me to simply dismiss your claims out of hand. You seem
to be utterly unwilling to meet the burden of proof, the burden
that is ENTIRELY yours and no one else's, necessary for your
"thoery" to be taken seriously.

And, I would expect, that is really the reason why the AES
review committee rejected your paper..

Again, and finally, a series of double blind listening tests could refute my
claims.

Specific question:
Is it POSSIBLE that the reason your paper was rejected is
because it failed to meet the criteria of a valid theory,
and NOT because "they didn't understand a word [you] said?"

Sure, it is possible. But I don't care about that. All I care about is
putting the concept out there for others to ponder, possibly experiment
with. There is a lot about it that I have not nailed down yet, and how
"hard" or "soft" the actual precision of the radiation pattern needs to be
is one of them. Seems to me from my brief experinece with prototypes that it
isn't all that critical. I hope not.

Again, I didn't really expect it to get published without a series of
listening tests and a lot of experimentation to report. But what I did not
expect was that they wouldn't even know the difference between binaural and
stereophonic. I must go find those critiques. It was incredible enough that
I had them run it past a second reader just to see if it ws a fluke.

Specific question:
Is it possible that if they really didn't understand a word
you said, it might be because either what you said or how
you said it?

A word I said about the difference between.... never mind, I will go find
them.

Thanks for the response, sorry I have been so long in answering specifics -
just a communication thing. Apologies also to AE for hijacking his thread.
But we are still on topic, so hope he doesn't mind.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Dick Pierce wrote:

Specific question: Mr. Eickmeier: what EXACTLY were the objections
raided by the AES review committee?

Found it!

The paragraph that showed that the first reviewer didn't understand the
distinction and importance of binaural vs. stereophonic was this:

"This manuscript is also marred by the use of comparisons that make no
sense; for example, the author compares 'reproducing ear signals' with
'reproducing the orchestra itself,' etc."

So the whole discussion of binaural vs stereophonic, which I put in there to
emphasize the importance of understanding that stereo is a field-type system
and not "two ears, two speakers" went right over his head.

So the Mars paper illustrated the difference in a unique and clever way, by
showing that a field-type system has nothing to do with the number of ears
on your head, the spacing between them, or the HRTF.

Well, I'm nodding off now, but you would have to read the basic paper to
understand why this distinction is so important, then the Mars paper for my
elaboration of same so that no one would ever again be confused by it.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Dick Pierce wrote:
Specific question:
What testable predictions does your model make that an
independent party can test and then examine the outcomes,
determining if that aspect of your theory making the
prediction is supported or refuted by the outcomes?

Simply that my system sounds different from a direct firing speaker system,

I think you will be granted that a priori. THat's not a prediction,
that's a fact.

and the difference is an improvement.

Define "improvement." You can't, it's a personal preference.
Are you saying that YOUR personal preference trumps the
personal preference of those that do not agree with you?

That was tested somewhat in The
Challenge experiment. Most engineers and experimenters know that radiation
pattern and room positioning are easily audible. Dr. Mark Davis has said
that the frequency response and radiation pattern are the major determinants
of the sound of a speaker. I have added room positioning. So the question is
how to optimize those and why. I have proposed a comprehensive model and the
rationale for it, and I listen to the result every day. This is not a
pipedream or hypothesis on whether the idea might work and be an
improvement.

NONE of this is testable. These are personal opinions and
preferences disguised as a "theory."

I see none. Therefore, based on the widely accepted usage of the
term "theory" in the scientific realm, I assert you have no theory.
Again, this is not meant as an insult, but a statement of fact as
I interpret it.

Address the ideas, not the definition of a theory vs a hypothesis. I really
don't care what you call it, just please begin talking to me about it.

No, because you abjectily refuse to treat contrary views to
your opinion as valid crticism, instead you degenerate to
essentially ad hominem attacks.

Specific question:
Under the principles of the scientific method, does your
"model" qualify as a valid theory or not?

Yes.

No. You have failed to provide any objective predictions
that can unabiguously provide results that are independently
testable.

And because you're claims do not have the foundations of a
falsifiable theory, allowing others to independently and
objectively test its predictions, statements YOU have made
like:

"But no, as usual, you haven't explained anything about
my theory,"

incline me to simply dismiss your claims out of hand. You seem
to be utterly unwilling to meet the burden of proof, the burden
that is ENTIRELY yours and no one else's, necessary for your
"thoery" to be taken seriously.

And, I would expect, that is really the reason why the AES
review committee rejected your paper..

Again, and finally, a series of double blind listening tests could refute my
claims.

Refute how? What are you comparing your results to? How would you
construct such a bouble-blind experiment? WHat is being tested?

As you mentioned elsewhere, your "test" would be nothing more than
a preference test, andthe way you have acted heretofore, anyone
expressing a different preference is, in your book, "wrong,"
and someone "who doesn't understand a word you're saying."

In short, Mr. Eickmeier, you've come up with an arrangement for,
whatever personal reasons, you like a lot. That's fine. No one
is objecting to that. Your opinion is that it works well for YOU.
No disagreement from ANYONE is forthcoming on that.

But that's YOUR opinion, YOUR preference. That's IT. That's as far
as you get to go without meeting a MUCH higher standard of proof
that you've been able to muster thus far.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Dick Pierce wrote:
Let me provide a counterexample: a "theory" which states that
a person can levitate themselves only when no one is looking.
Tthat theory is not testable and therefore not falsifiable. There
is no observation, no test that can be performed by an independent
party that results in an outcome that either supports or refutes
the theory. How does one, for example, observe the levitiaion
when observation itsdelf prevents levitation?

Specific question:
Do you understand why this example does not qualify
as a valid theory?

Yes. Because it is silly.

Wrong, 100% wrong.

It is not a valid theory because it not falsifiable. There
does not exist a test whose outcome can clearly demonstrate
whether the the theory is supported or refuted.

Whether it's "silly" or not is a subjective evaluation,
not a testable predction.

Sorry, Mr. Eickmeier, I don't have much faith that you
really do understand the underlying principles.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

On 4/19/2013 6:54 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
KH wrote:
On 4/19/2013 4:47 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I never said or intend to implied that you were a nutcase. Merely
that you have consistently, and persistently, dismissed all
dissenters of your theory as idiots, or "poor dumb *******s". You
will find few people who are interested in discussions with such a
person. One mans "mysterious and combative" is another mans
"arrogant and condescending".

I guess I'm not going to outlive that one, so let me 'splain. Have you ever
seen "Patton" the movie? In it, George C. Scott makes a pep talk to the
troops before going into battle. He says something like "the goal is not to
die for your country - it is to make the other poor dumb ******* die for HIS
country." I always thought that was funny, and my statement is nothing more
than that - a joke.

Were this an isolated incident, your explanation would be far more
believable.

Perhaps you've heard the aphorism "If the pupil hasn't learned, the
teacher hasn't taught"?

I am an Air Force instructor, and I know how to teach. I hope I have made up
for past losses.

IMO, no. I'm quite sure I have, and have had, a pretty clear picture of
what you've done, how you see your 'model', and why you believe it
works. Your evidence is clear - it works for you. It's your
understanding of the mechanism behind what you're doing, and the
applicability of that method outside your own preference, that I question.

snip

I have been told that it is more of a hypothesis, but I disagree. I am
doing it in my home and listening to the result every day.

Which means nothing about your model other than it creates what you like.

I would say that the main theoretical basis of the whole concept is
to get the SPATIAL characteristic correct within your room by means
of physically reconstructing the important aspects of the whole
acoustical situation.

I would agree with you. Unfortunately, reconstruction of the "whole
acoustical situation" is not possible, for reasons provided many, many
times. That you can create a soundfield in your room that sounds real
*to you* doesn't make it a theory. Realism is a matter of preference.
Pure and simple.

And yet, you cannot, or will not, accept that you do not have, within
the recorded signal, the information required to do that accurately. So
you construct, not reconstruct, a reflected field that sounds to
you like what you feel are the "important aspects" of the venue.

OK I think this is the place where I can go into my next speech (lesson).

As a means of, yet again, failing to answer simple questions, or address
observations directly.

You say there is a problem that the recording doesn't contain enough
information to determine all of the spatial aspects of the recorded venue.

I say that it contains NO directional information. Obviously it
contains spatial clues in the form of delayed and attenuated information
from the reverberant field. These effects clearly can be interpreted as
a sense of spaciousness. Spaciousness is an attribute unrelated to
direction, and directional information is what you need for your model
to work the way you seem to think that it works.

So therefore we cannot reconstruct it at home. So my question to you would
be, what are you doing about it? Do you just give up on the concept of
stereo?

I'm quite happy with my 'concept' and implementation of stereo. Given
the limits of commercially available recorded music, my stereo is not
"broken", and is not in need of some novel replay concept to "fix" it.
You are alone, as far as I can tell, in your perception that some
"stereo crisis" exists.

No, you don't. You handle the problem in much the same say as I do. You
place two (at least two) speakers in front of you in a room, so that the
lateral localization might be brought out on playback. You decide where the
speakers will go and now to treat the room and where to sit. This is an
attempt to reconstruct the spatial characteristic contained in the
recording.

So far, so good.

You cannot, for example, put one speaker on top of the other, or
even on opposite sides of you, you must construct a soundstage in front of
you with a reasonable resemblance to the geometry of the original, which is
almost always a presentation in front of you with a certain lateral spread
that we - and the Acoustical Society of America, and most band leaders and
producers, have come to know and love.

OK.

The main difference between us is that you don't take it as far as I do.

No, you go in an altogether different direction; not further along the
same continuum.

Remember The Big Three that Linkwitz asked about? We both need to decide on
those factors in our reproduction, and to do that we need some sort of
paradigm, or model, of what it is that we are doing with the system in order
for it to work.

Throughout history most things have had models or theories generated to
explain how things worked, not the other way around.

That said, are you really implying that no one designs speakers against
physical models of how acoustics and reproduction work?

If you study the live model, you can see all of the spatial,
spectral, and temporal aspects of it. No matter who you are or what your
paradigm or ideas are, you must somehow account for a translation of those
characteristics from the live model to the reproduction. If you don't, it
will sound DIFFERENT. You simply cannot put this immense, complex sound
field through two points in space in front of you and expect it to sound the
same.

No matter WHAT you do, it will sound different. That is a simple fact
of physics.

OK, pause for now.

The
direct, early reflected, and reverberant sounds will be made to come
from the appropriate directions if the playback model mimics a
typical live model as closely as possible.

No, they will not, because the information required to do so is not in
the recorded signal.

snip

Yes, they can. I will only say this once, and hope that you latch onto it.

The Image Model is a spatially arrayed, temporally delayed, spectrally
shaped sound field synthesizer that attempts to decode the direct and early
reflected sound contained in the recording in much the same way as a Dolby
Pro Logic delay sytem can bring out the ambience contained in the recording
without destroying the soundstage that belongs in front of the room.

Thank you. You're finally dealing with the electrical and acoustic
reality. You are "synthesizing" something that YOU find to sound
"real". You are absolutely not "decoding" anything, simply because no
directional information was "encoded" in the signal to start with.

The recorded signal contains a stream, or train, of pulses from the first
arrival transients to the recorded reverberation from spatially separate
areas around the instruments. The Image Model features two real speakers
that just happen to be closest to you of the 8 in the model. THEREFORE,
first arrival transients will be heard from the actual speakers first, and
this precedence effect is a very strong one, psychoacoustically speaking,
and results in a separation between first arrival and later reverberation
contained in the recording. There can be only one first arrival, and it has
to come from the actual speakers and nowhere else.

So the mechanism that you ask for is the precedence effect,

Nope, no cigar on that one. I'm quite certain I understand your
"theory", and I'm also quite certain you don't understand my critique,
so let me see if I can make it clearer:

As discussed earlier, there clearly are spatial clues available in the
recording, in the form of the delayed and attenuated reverberant field.
OK so far?

Ok, so now suppose we each sit down in front of our systems. Let's also
suppose that you limit your system to the front two speakers, and
further, that you eliminate the rear-firing drivers. Now, assuming we
play the exact same (good) recording, we will be hearing basically the
same sounds (for discussion, let's stipulate similar forward radiation
patterns, and similar room interactions). Still with me?

Now, in my room, I hear the direct sound, and the room effects, and I
get a sense of spaciousness from the reverb in the recording, and the
stereo effect, and to a small degree from the room interactions. I have
a well defined soundstage, with a proper localization of instruments and
vocals.

Now, in *your* room, one of two situations obtain; you hear *basically*
what I hear, or you hear something significantly different. From how
you frequently describe box speakers, you'll apparently hear no
soundstage, no spaciousness, a "window into another room", or a "hole in
the middle", and/or a flat presentation that is lifeless.

Alright, let's look at these two possible scenarios. In the first, we
hear *basically* the same thing. We both hear the spacial cues in the
recording in the direct sound from the speakers. We are, at this point,
both hearing ALL of the spacial information available on the recording -
we're hearing the entire unprocessed signal, within the limits of our
equipment. Nothing is hiding, nothing awaiting "decoding", we have the
whole tamale. Now, you then take all of this information and direct it
rearward to create a second, wholly synthesized, delayed soundfield
comprising all of the information - including the spacial cues - of the
recording. Every reflection comprising this synthesized field will
contain the entire signal, delayed (to a much lesser degree, and in
different ratios, than in the venue), attenuated (including the already
delayed and attenuated information in the recording), and coming from
directions different than the original. To you, this creates realism.
To me, this creates a sense of smearing that is incompatible with my
sense of realism.

In the case of the second scenario, there's no use for discussion, and
any hypothesis, model, or theory you come up with won't work for me; we
simply don't interpret audio signals in the same manner.

snip

That is one of the most fascinating aspects of this hobby. Seems like you
can't sit two of us down and have us agree on which is the best system.

Uhmm, yes. That is the point.

Seems like we should have all gravitated to a system with certain common
characteristics by this late stage, but it may never happen.

While you really seem to believe this, I am baffled as to why. This
seems the genesis of your mistaken belief that there is A paradigm, or
some fundamental TRVTH that would be universally applicable. There is
no realm of human perception, that I'm aware of, where such coalescing
has taken place. Not in food, art, music, literature, sport, or even in
the evaluation of human beauty. I fail to understand why you believe
interpretation of sound should buck the evolutionary tide where no other
class of perception has.

Perceptual
abilities and experience vary.

Why not just admit that perceptions and preferences vary, instead of
insinuating that dissenters are perceptually challenged, and thus *wrong*?

I think that very few people pay that much
attention to these spatial factors in listening to music.

You're free to think that, but don't expect anyone here to agree that
they are in that "group" however small or large it may be.

Keith
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

In article , KH
wrote:
snip

I say that it contains NO directional information. Obviously it
contains spatial clues in the form of delayed and attenuated information
from the reverberant field. These effects clearly can be interpreted as
a sense of spaciousness. Spaciousness is an attribute unrelated to
direction, and directional information is what you need for your model
to work the way you seem to think that it works.

It's more than a "sense of spaciousness" as you so blithely put it. Done
correctly, it can provide an accurate audio snapshot of the musical
event. One which can show, with amazingly pin-point accuracy, the
location of every instrument in the sound field. And I don't just mean
right to left either. I mean front to back, and top to bottom. you can
tell, for instance if certain instruments are in front of, or behind
others, and whether or not some instruments (or voices) are on risers.
That's a lot of information from "delayed and attenuated" information.
Shows how remarkable the human ear/brain interface is as deciphering
clues about directionality.

So therefore we cannot reconstruct it at home. So my question to you would
be, what are you doing about it? Do you just give up on the concept of
stereo?

I'm quite happy with my 'concept' and implementation of stereo. Given
the limits of commercially available recorded music, my stereo is not
"broken", and is not in need of some novel replay concept to "fix" it.
You are alone, as far as I can tell, in your perception that some
"stereo crisis" exists.

The only "stereo crises" that exists as far as I can see is the fact
that so few record company producers and engineers properly exploit the
tools and techniques available to them and don't give music lovers
enough proper "real" stereo product. Many seem to share the general
public's misconception that "stereo" only means "two channels" and so
that's all they care about. Make sure that release has a left and a
right channel. No matter how that's done or what's in them.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

KH wrote:

I say that it contains NO directional information. Obviously it
contains spatial clues in the form of delayed and attenuated
information from the reverberant field. These effects clearly can be
interpreted as a sense of spaciousness. Spaciousness is an attribute
unrelated to direction, and directional information is what you need
for your model to work the way you seem to think that it works.

This is a most extraordinary statement. Spaciousness is unrelated to
direction? Was that a typo?

Let me relate an allegory that tries to show the difference between the
spatial and the temporal.

A novice goes to Best Buy and purchases a surround sound home theater in a
box. It has the 5.1 speakers in it, but he loses the instruction sheet. So
he places all of the speakers on top of the TV and the subwoofer underneath
on the floor. His left and right and center speakers are placed OK, on the
left and right side of the big TV, but his surround speakers have been
placed on top of them. He calls you up and complains that he is not
satisfied, just not hearing all of those fancy spatial effects that are
supposed to be in the movie. So you go over and behold what he has done, and
instruct him that he has gotten some of it right, with the left, center, and
right speakers, but he has not got the spatial aspect correct. His perfectly
accurate speakers are playing all of the sounds contained in the recording,
he can hear the temporal effects of the reverberation and reverb time of
the hall and discrete effects, but these spatial effects must come from
different incident angles than the direct sound in order to work.

In acoustics, many sources note that in order for the eary reflections to
work they must come from a different set of incident angles than the direct
sound, or else most of it will be masked. So you cannot simply "play" the
stereo recording and have all of the recorded ambience come fron the same
point sources as the direct sound, or it will not be heard as ambience -
just smear, really.

I have found that it is difficult for most hobbyists (at first) to
distinguish in their minds between the spatial and the temporal. The
temporal from the live venue is contained in the recording, but the spatial
effects must come from a different set of incident angles than the direct
sound. Some people incorporate side speakers with time delay for this
reason. I use reflection in a way that mimics a typical live sound field.

Throughout history most things have had models or theories generated
to explain how things worked, not the other way around.

Yes, the image model explains how it works to model the spatial aspects of
the live sound.

That said, are you really implying that no one designs speakers
against physical models of how acoustics and reproduction work?

YES! Most of them learned audio in the mono era, when the charge was just
"let's make sound." When stereo came along, they just assumed that the same
speakers could be used, just that you need two of them.

[...]

Not so fast. I hope from the discussion above you might be able to see that
you don't just "hear" the reverb in the recording, like in the mono days. In
order to be heard properly as reverberation (early reflections, actually),
it must come from different incident angles than the direct sound.

[...]

Not quite. Take a couple of examples from the real world of audio. The
Wilson WAMM vs the MBL omni. The WAMM might provide your kind of sound,
giant direct firing boxes that aim their output at your head. The MBLs, on
the other hand, are totallly different in the spatial department, being
omnis. Their sound has been described as huge, spacious, and deep, with a
sense of floating a soundstage surrounded by the ambience in the recording.

Two very different designs that sound different, because the radiaiton
pattern is very audible. Neither speaker is more "accurate" than the other,
but the MBL gets the spatial characteristic better arrayed on playback.

In the case of the second scenario, there's no use for discussion, and
any hypothesis, model, or theory you come up with won't work for me;
we simply don't interpret audio signals in the same manner.

I am sure that we do; it's just that you don't as yet understand why
different systems sound the way they do, some better than others, some
worse. I say that if ever and whenever you hear superior spaciousness and
depth in a recording, it is not due to the accuracy in the direct sound, but
rather to the different spatial characteristics of the speakers.

I have started another thread I hope you wioll fnd interesting. It
simplifies down the larger example of typical rooms and sources to a single
instrument.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

On 4/21/2013 2:19 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:
In article , KH
wrote:
snip

I say that it contains NO directional information. Obviously it
contains spatial clues in the form of delayed and attenuated information
from the reverberant field. These effects clearly can be interpreted as
a sense of spaciousness. Spaciousness is an attribute unrelated to
direction, and directional information is what you need for your model
to work the way you seem to think that it works.

It's more than a "sense of spaciousness" as you so blithely put it. Done
correctly, it can provide an accurate audio snapshot of the musical
event.

Really? How exactly is the directional information encoded in the
recorded signal?

One which can show, with amazingly pin-point accuracy, the
location of every instrument in the sound field. And I don't just mean
right to left either. I mean front to back, and top to bottom. you can
tell, for instance if certain instruments are in front of, or behind
others, and whether or not some instruments (or voices) are on risers.
That's a lot of information from "delayed and attenuated" information.

And that differs from what I said...how?

Shows how remarkable the human ear/brain interface is as deciphering
clues about directionality.

So therefore we cannot reconstruct it at home. So my question to you would
be, what are you doing about it? Do you just give up on the concept of
stereo?

I'm quite happy with my 'concept' and implementation of stereo. Given
the limits of commercially available recorded music, my stereo is not
"broken", and is not in need of some novel replay concept to "fix" it.
You are alone, as far as I can tell, in your perception that some
"stereo crisis" exists.

The only "stereo crises" that exists as far as I can see is the fact
that so few record company producers and engineers properly exploit the
tools and techniques available to them and don't give music lovers
enough proper "real" stereo product.

I believe I've said that a number of times. And?

Many seem to share the general
public's misconception that "stereo" only means "two channels" and so
that's all they care about. Make sure that release has a left and a
right channel. No matter how that's done or what's in them.

"Stereo" typically does mean 2-channel. The general public doesn't have
a misconception in this regard. They need only look at the VAST
majority of "stereo" recordings to see what "stereo" is typically
construed to mean. *Can* it be different? Yes. Is it typically
different? No.

Keith

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

On 4/21/2013 2:19 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:
In article , KH
wrote:
snip

[...]

Who said that I was disagreeing with you. I'm merely adding to your
statement.

[...]

No it doesn't. "Stereo" means solid, or three-dimensional. Most people's
ignorance of the term's provenance doesn't change either the provenance
or the meaning.

The general public doesn't have
a misconception in this regard. They need only look at the VAST
majority of "stereo" recordings to see what "stereo" is typically
construed to mean. *Can* it be different? Yes. Is it typically
different? No.

Again, ignorance does not change truth. If the vast hoi-poloi thinks
that a recording only needs to be two channel to be stereo, that's their
problem, not mine. Those who care, know. Those who don't care, by
definition don't need to know what stereo's all about.