Posted to rec.audio.car
Sam Sam is offline

Default Civic door speakers

I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX coupe. I am putting together the pieces
for my new system and purchased the same components for the front
soundstage that I used to have in a VW; Alpine sps 171a 6.5". I
really liked them and they seemed to be a great value.

Anyway, I noticed that my car does not appear to have a location for
tweeters! Is this correct? Is anybody familiar with this model of
car or has anyone run across this problem before? Will I have to buy
a coax set to compensate for this?

Thanks everybody!

Sam

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Feb 27, 10:15 pm, "Sam" wrote:

Anyway, I noticed that my car does not appear to have a location for
tweeters! Is this correct? Is anybody familiar with this model of
car or has anyone run across this problem before? Will I have to buy
a coax set to compensate for this?

If you don't see a location, chances are, there isn't one. If any
model of Civic comes with the tweeter locations (typically on the
dash), I think it'd be the EX model. But don't feel too bad--having
your tweeters that far away from your midbass drivers firing directly
up into your windshield is not exactly ideal anyway.

You have two options:

1. Mount your tweeters in your doors, somewhere above the midbass
driver, or
2. Go the coax route

And there's one other (kinda icky) option I've seen implemented for
those who just can't bear to cut a hole in a door panel:

3. Cut a hole in the speaker grille and mount the tweeter there.

This gives you the effect of coaxials using separates. The idea behind
this approach is that it's much cheaper to replace a speaker grille
than it is to replace an entire door panel when it comes time to sell
the car. :-)

-dan