TJ Hertz

Default Drum track critique (and WEIRD things to do to a drum recording)

Here's a sample of a drum track I recorded the other day.

http://tjhertz.collide.org/glamdemo.mp3 . It's two drum tracks (one with
full kit, one with just toms). The full kit track is multed and half of it
is run through Amplitube (distorted guitar amp simulator), then mixed back
in with the dry full kit and dry toms. I was going for somewhere between
Queens of the Stone Age, Adam and the Ants and Marilyn Manson. It's quite
anthemic glam rock/pop.

It's sounding a little boring to me at the moment. If anyone has any
suggestions of cool things I might do to it (don't be afraid to suggest
anything really weird) please let me know. For the record, the original song
is he http://tjhertz.collide.org/photo-imustdestroyyou.mp3 . I'm mixing
on Logic 5.5

I'm in the band and recorded the whole thing with my own gear, so I've got
free rein over production.

Thanks in advance,

--
tj hertz

RD Jones

TJ Hertz wrote:
[...]

Forget the distortion simulator ... use real distortion.

What we would do is play the dry drum tracks back out
through a pair of A7's in the big room at 'high volume'
Of course there's all kinds of effects that can be added
to the playback.

rd

John L Rice

"TJ Hertz" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

That sounds really cool! ( the beat reminds me of that song from the '60
and I can't remember the group or song title . . . .the only words were
'HEY!' and some grunts . . I think ) If you can get away with it I would try
to bring the overall level of the 'beat' down a bit ( especially the snare )
so when the fills happen they can be relatively a little louder . . .and
hopefully crescendo a little leading into the next section.

One effect that might work for this song is to use phaser or flanger with a
lot of depth/resonance Either on the verses OR on the chorus . . or maybe
just parts of the chorus ( like the section where 'I wanna destroy ya' is
sung etc )

Have fun!

--
John L Rice

RD Jones

John L Rice wrote:

That sounds really cool! ( the beat reminds me of that song from the '60
and I can't remember the group or song title . . . .the only words were
'HEY!' and some grunts . . I think )

"Rock and Roll (part 2)" by Gary Glitter, 1972.

rd

Peanut

That sounds really cool! ( the beat reminds me of that song from the '60
and I can't remember the group or song title . . . .the only words were
'HEY!' and some grunts . . I think ) If you can get away with it I would try
to bring the overall level of the 'beat' down a bit ( especially the snare )
so when the fills happen they can be relatively a little louder . . .and
hopefully crescendo a little leading into the next section.

One effect that might work for this song is to use phaser or flanger with a
lot of depth/resonance Either on the verses OR on the chorus . . or maybe
just parts of the chorus ( like the section where 'I wanna destroy ya' is
sung etc )

Have fun!

The Song was Rock and Roll part 1 by Garry Glitter I think it was
1972. It was used as cheering anthem at hockey games.

Peanut