mark

Default Sub Box Volume?

Im redoing the look of my trunk. Was thinkin about taking the spare out and
using the spare compartment to house my sub now for the question, if the
box is the shape of the compartment, but shallow, instead of being 1'x1'x1'
to make it 1 cu ft, if the dimensions of the box are still 1 cu ft, but not
the shape of a box is there going to be a huge impact on sound, or would it
be good being that its still 1 cu ft?

thx

No, as long as the volume is the same it will be ok. Shape won't make
much difference.

MZ

Im redoing the look of my trunk. Was thinkin about taking the spare out
and using the spare compartment to house my sub now for the question, if
the box is the shape of the compartment, but shallow, instead of being
1'x1'x1' to make it 1 cu ft, if the dimensions of the box are still 1 cu
ft, but not the shape of a box is there going to be a huge impact on
sound, or would it be good being that its still 1 cu ft?

What are you going to do if you get a flat tire?

mark

i was thinking about putting the spare on the back of the rear seats, so it
will be hidden by the 2 10" subs i wanna put there. this way it would be
easier to get to than it is now, if i get a flat now i have to take my box
out which is a royal pain

thx

"MZ" wrote in message
Im redoing the look of my trunk. Was thinkin about taking the spare out
and using the spare compartment to house my sub now for the question, if
the box is the shape of the compartment, but shallow, instead of being
1'x1'x1' to make it 1 cu ft, if the dimensions of the box are still 1 cu
ft, but not the shape of a box is there going to be a huge impact on
sound, or would it be good being that its still 1 cu ft?

What are you going to do if you get a flat tire?

joe.ker

I disagree, I think shape does have an effect on sound.
A angled box sounds better than square box. The narrow truck boxes do not
sound as good as deeper boxes.

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

wrote in message
oups.com...
No, as long as the volume is the same it will be ok. Shape won't make
much difference.

Thats because most of those boxes do not have enough volume. Two dif
shaped boxes with the exact volume and same building materials will
sound nearly identical.

Cyrus

In article pSoYd.570$oa6.242@trnddc07,
"joe.ker" wrote:

I disagree, I think shape does have an effect on sound.
A angled box sounds better than square box. The narrow truck boxes do not
sound as good as deeper boxes.

So you're saying that different enclosure depths/shapes of inches in a
vehicle will sound different producing ~20ft wavelengths?

I tend to concur when its mid and higher frequencies in a larger and
more discerning environment, but even that is up to debate.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Daniel Snooks

"MZ" wrote in message
Im redoing the look of my trunk. Was thinkin about taking the
spare out
and using the spare compartment to house my sub now for the
question, if the box is the shape of the compartment, but
shallow, instead of being 1'x1'x1' to make it 1 cu ft, if the
dimensions of the box are still 1 cu ft, but not the shape of a
box is there going to be a huge impact on sound, or would it be
good being that its still 1 cu ft?

What are you going to do if you get a flat tire?

They ONLY make low profile run-flat tires ... and yes they are expensive. An
example would be Goodyear's Eagle F1 GS-EMT which retail for something in
the area of US$500 a tire.

--
Dan Snooks