Jordan Skoblenick

Default Amping an amp?

In my 2005 MDX, the Bose sub barely puts out any bass, so I was looking at
putting an amp before the sub. But I dont know whether there is a preamp or
not, and if throwing an amp in there will destroy it or not.

Jordan Skoblenick wrote:
In my 2005 MDX, the Bose sub barely puts out any bass, so I was

looking at
putting an amp before the sub. But I dont know whether there is a

preamp or
not, and if throwing an amp in there will destroy it or not.

That's too easy to figure out. Premap is same as Line-In. You throw in
other amp, and make sure minimize the gain control of the last amp.

joe.ker

I would recommend putting and aftermarket sub and amp, before trying to
interface with the factory components

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

"Jordan Skoblenick" wrote in message
. ..
In my 2005 MDX, the Bose sub barely puts out any bass, so I was looking at
putting an amp before the sub. But I dont know whether there is a preamp

or
not, and if throwing an amp in there will destroy it or not.

MOSFET

First, if you value your time and you system, pay absolutely no attention to
mmdir2002. He is a pest on this newsgroup who spreads bad advice. Please
refer to his other posts if you question this.

I'm not absoutely clear about what your current setup consists of. I assume
you mean the Bose sub came stock with your MDX, correct? If so, it is
ALREADY amped and it is not as simple as simply adding an amplifier
(typically in Bose systems, all speakers have small amplifiers attached
directly to the speaker). Bose speakers are particualarly difficult to work
with (I had a '97 Maxima with the Bose system) as they use really weird
impedences (1 ohm or less) and they cannot be easily interfaced with typical
aftermarket amps. Perhaps someone else will have a better sugestion, but I
think you will have to trash your Bose sub if you want more bass as there is
no aftermarket amp that it will be compatibile with.

If you are looking for just a little more bass, I have a compact Clarion 6"
sub/amplifier package that fit under the seat of my '99 Suburu Forester. I
took it out when I redid the entire system but it works fine and has not
been used very much. The amp I believe is something like 50 watts RMS and
it actually puts out quite a bit of bass (despite only a 6" driver) and will
fit under any seat. I could let it go for $40.

MOSFET

"Jordan Skoblenick" wrote in message
. ..
In my 2005 MDX, the Bose sub barely puts out any bass, so I was looking at
putting an amp before the sub. But I dont know whether there is a preamp

or
not, and if throwing an amp in there will destroy it or not.

Tony F

I tend to agree with MOSFET. At least in my Maxima, I believe the Bose sub
amplifier is specifically matched with the sub. I don't think adding on
another amp would be worth the trouble, if it's even possible. Replacing
the amp might help, assuming you did some research or tested the sub's
impedance, but I doubt the improvement in sound (if any) would be worth the
cost and trouble. I'm not sure if you could even provide more power to the
sub...the Bose amp might be supplying the maximum amount of power it can
handle. You'll probably be happier completely replacing it like MOSFET
said.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

Jordan Skoblenick

You are correct, I am talking about my STOCK system and STOCK sub. So you
are saying that the amp is built in to the Bose sub? I take it this means I
can just pull the sub and throw in any aftermarket sub + amp, correct? (Not
trying to repeat myself but I want to make sure before I accidentally blow
something)
Jordan

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

MOSFET

"Jordan Skoblenick" wrote in message
You are correct, I am talking about my STOCK system and STOCK sub. So you
are saying that the amp is built in to the Bose sub? I take it this means

can just pull the sub and throw in any aftermarket sub + amp, correct?

(Not
trying to repeat myself but I want to make sure before I accidentally blow
something)
Jordan

Yes, exactly. But you will probably even have a problem when you go to do
this (I know because I tried to do EXACTLY this in my Maxima). Nothing
about the Bose system works well with standard aftermarket gear so even
trying to interface an aftermarket amp and aftermarket sub with the Bose
system is not easy, though unlike what you were trying to do, it is not
impossible. You will have to get a converter specifically designed for the
task to interface your Bose head unit with your new sub amp.

Actually, on second thought, I did try just running one of the speaker
outputs from the Bose head into an aftermarket amp and it did work OK (there
was a buzz but it wasn't audible at the frequencies the sub operates at). I
guess it's worth a try.

MOSFET

Wow 50watts amp??? Who wants to add 50Watts amp?
ARe you advising on 1950's version of car stereo system?

MOSFET

Golly gee, yes, mmdir2002, I'm advising on 1950's version of car stereo.
Now I have to go so I can watch tonight's episode of "I Love Lucy".

MOSFET

wrote in message
ups.com...

Wow 50watts amp??? Who wants to add 50Watts amp?
ARe you advising on 1950's version of car stereo system?

Scott Gardner

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:09:51 -0800, "MOSFET"
wrote:

Golly gee, yes, mmdir2002, I'm advising on 1950's version of car stereo.
Now I have to go so I can watch tonight's episode of "I Love Lucy".

MOSFET

wrote in message
oups.com...

Wow 50watts amp??? Who wants to add 50Watts amp?
ARe you advising on 1950's version of car stereo system?

Especially since a true "1950's version of car stereo system" wouldn't
even be stereo at all - it would be mono. It would be an AM radio,
with one speaker in the middle of the dash, and probably 1-2 watts of
amplification.

I doubt mmdir was even alive when car audio really started to become
popular as a hobby and develop support in the aftermarket. He's
probably grown up in the age of commonplace 500-watt amps, and doesn't
realize that a 50W amplifier was actually considered a pretty
good-sized amp when some of us were in high school.

--
Scott Gardner

"What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend? Homeless."

DI for Re Amping wavcatcher Pro Audio 25 February 8th 05 04:57 PM
Denon 1802 and Bi Amping marshall General 2 March 20th 04 09:50 AM
Bi Amping Philip Meech High End Audio 4 February 19th 04 06:41 PM