Porky

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"Porky" wrote in message

"Nat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know offhand what the range of safe room temperatures (in
F, please) is for studio gear?

Wait! if the correct spelling is litre than wouldn't a meter be

spelled
metre too?

**Indeed. That IS how they're spelt.

It's getting a bit chilly, I think I'll turn up my heatre. And does that
mean that the ghost is talking about Jim's petre? *ROFLMAO*

Logan Shaw

Porky wrote:
You know, we here in the US were blissful in our ignorance when we used
imperial measurements, we had no problems with pints, quarts, and ounces;
and yards, feet and inches were easy.

??? I was born in the US and have lived here all my life, and I've
always found pints, quarts, ounces (would those be ounces or FLUID
ounces? this confused me to no end in grade school) confusing.

In fact, I have this plastic reference chart of the imperial system
stuck to the side of my refrigerator with magnets because I have to
refer to it to understand the imperial system. By the way, how many
teaspoons in a cup? Once you work that out, how many teaspoons in
a gallon?

For instance, I was exactly six feet tall, now I'm 1.828 meters tall

If you were exactly six feet tall (which, by the way, mathematically
has a probability of exactly zero), then, yes, in your case the
imperial system would be more efficient at representing your
particular height.

But what about the guy who's exactly 2 meters tall? If he's going to
convert to imperial units and add a bunch of significant digits like
you did, then he has to walk around saying he's 6 foot, 6.74 inches
tall. Not very convenient.

I used to weigh exactly 210 lbs, now I weigh 95.455 kilograms.

Again, considering significant figures, what about the guy whose
mass is exactly 100 kg? If he converts the other direction and bumps
it up to 5 significant figures like you did, then he has to walk
around saying he weighs 220.46 lbs. So does that mean we can
conclude that lbs are complicated and inconvenient?

How did
taking whole numbers and converting them to forms of measurement that
required decimal fractions to express simplify things? :-)

They don't require decimal fractions. You can use decimal fractions
if you'd like, you can also just as easily say you're 95 kg and
leave it at that. Weight fluctuates up and down by 1 or 2 lbs every
day anyway, so it's not accurate to say you're 210 lbs exactly and
never 209 or 211 lbs. So 95 kg is probably accurate enough.

And with height, you can easily express your height in centimeters.
If you're 6 foot even, you'd be just a tiny bit short of 183 cm.
I am personally 5'9.5", which makes me about 176 cm tall. 176 cm
is actually a bit easier to deal with than 5'9.5".

- Logan
Stewart Pinkerton

"Porky" wrote in message

"Nat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know offhand what the range of safe room temperatures (in
F, please) is for studio gear?

Wait! if the correct spelling is litre than wouldn't a meter be

spelled
metre too?

**Indeed. That IS how they're spelt.

It's getting a bit chilly, I think I'll turn up my heatre. And does that
mean that the ghost is talking about Jim's petre? *ROFLMAO*

The language is *English*, you ignorami! There are *no* rules, words
just is what they is, and the fact that litre and metre are correct
spellings has no bearing whatever on any other words. I before e
except after c, said the heirs to the throne and their neighbours.

Mr.T

"George Gleason" wrote in message
Trevor Wilson wrote:
**Indeed. That IS how they're spelt.

Certainly in Australia and England.

MET RE, if you say so rast ro :-)

At least in most countries we can tell the difference between an indicating
device, and a unit of length.

MrT.

Peter Hill

"Porky" wrote in message

"Nat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know offhand what the range of safe room temperatures (in
F, please) is for studio gear?

Wait! if the correct spelling is litre than wouldn't a meter be spelled
metre too? After all, they're both units of measurement.
You know, any normal person browsing the audio groups must think we all
have Attention Deficit Disorder, we started off on the topic of safe room
temps for audio gear, but now we're discussing measurement systems and
spelling, and the ghost wants to talk about penises (or would that be
penii?)! *ROFL*

It's litre for a volume of something, and a metre for the length of
something. Unless you're American, then it's liter or meter, although a
meter is a measuring instrument.
Then the USA has funny gallons as well,
Safe room temperature is round about 20 degrees Celcius. Fahrenheit went out
with the arc.

All the best
Leodis

Don Pearce

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:34:30 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Hill"
wrote:

"Porky" wrote in message

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

Or rather that would be the ark.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Gareth Magennis

Wait! if the correct spelling is litre than wouldn't a meter be spelled
metre too? After all, they're both units of measurement.
You know, any normal person browsing the audio groups must think we all
have Attention Deficit Disorder, we started off on the topic of safe room
temps for audio gear, but now we're discussing measurement systems and
spelling, and the ghost wants to talk about penises (or would that be
penii?)! *ROFL*

I thought English was an evolving language, unlike Welsh, for example, which
doesn't create many new words. So someone speaking Welsh will intersperse
all the Welsh stuff with the English "Washing machine", "Computer", "Britney
Spears" etc, Changes of spelling and new words are what keeps the language
alive. Live with it.

Gareth.

Trevor Wilson

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:34:30 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Hill"
wrote:

"Porky" wrote in message
.. .

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

**Doesn't much matter. The story is just a child's fable anyway.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Laurence Payne

wrote:

Safe room temperature is round about 20 degrees Celcius. Fahrenheit went out
with the arc.

I believe an arc is typically 5000-30,000K. An ark would be much
cooler.

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:00:39 -0600, "Porky" wrote:

BTW if you think that gasoline is expensive in the US today, just
look at the prices in countries that sell it in liters, a liter there often
costs much as a gallon here, and if they start selling gas in liters here it
won't be long before that happens in the US too.

Oh, THAT'S why we pay a lot for fuel in the UK! :-)

Don Pearce

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:37:56 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

Or rather that would be the ark.

**Doesn't much matter. The story is just a child's fable anyway.

Of course - everything in that book is fable wound on an armature of
history - but quite fun.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Gareth Magennis

I believe an arc is typically 5000-30,000K. An ark would be much
cooler.

Yes, back then when man was first invented, the unit of temperature was the
Noah, subdivided into 24 Nellies. 20 degrees centigrade equates to
approximately 7 Noahs and 13 Nellies.

Thomas Tornblom

"Peter Hill" writes:

It's litre for a volume of something, and a metre for the length of
something. Unless you're American, then it's liter or meter, although a
meter is a measuring instrument.
Then the USA has funny gallons as well,
Safe room temperature is round about 20 degrees Celcius. Fahrenheit went out

It is "Celsius", named after the swedish scientist Anders Celsius:

http://www.astro.uu.se/history/Celsius_eng.html

Oh, and there is nothing funny about gallons, US or imperial...

with the arc.

All the best
Leodis

Thomas
Scott Dorsey

Trevor Wilson wrote:

**Actually, I think it would be a pretty good idea. Our roadsigns (here in
NSW) are a joke. It must terrifying for interstate and overseas drivers to
navigate around NSW (generally) and Sydney (specifically). In the US, I
found roadsigns to be excellent, easy to read and placed in a timely manner,
to allow appropriate lane changes. With the sole exception of the rather
bizarre (to me) posting of signs which read: Sepulveda Blvd 13/4 Miles.
Interstate 54 27/8 Miles. All very odd. Why not move the signs to read 2
Miles and 3 Miles respectively?

The problem in the US is that signage varies a lot from state to state.
Some states are excellent, some aren't, but the general standards change
a lot too. Some roads have exits that increment by one with each exit,
some have exits whose number is the mile marker they are at. The mile
markers often change when you go from one state to another. In Virginia,
exits are marked by a large green sign with the name of the exit and a
smaller one with the number, and the smaller green sign is always to the
right for right-exits an always to the left for exiting left. But in
Maryland, they are all to the right even for left exits....

At least they don't stop you at the state line to check your passport.

Paul Stamler

"Logan Shaw" wrote in message
Porky wrote:
You know, we here in the US were blissful in our ignorance when we

used
imperial measurements, we had no problems with pints, quarts, and

ounces;
and yards, feet and inches were easy.

??? I was born in the US and have lived here all my life, and I've
always found pints, quarts, ounces (would those be ounces or FLUID
ounces? this confused me to no end in grade school) confusing.

In fact, I have this plastic reference chart of the imperial system
stuck to the side of my refrigerator with magnets because I have to
refer to it to understand the imperial system. By the way, how many
teaspoons in a cup? Once you work that out, how many teaspoons in
a gallon?

You should note, also, that we don't use the imperial system in the US, but
the avoirdupois system. Imperial units are slightly different; for example,
an imperial pint is larger than an avoirdupois pint, which you can discover
at any British pub.

Peace,
Paul

Andrew Chesters

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Andrew Chesters" wrote in message

Logan Shaw wrote:

Trevor Wilson wrote:
SNIP

Must say, it is highly entertaining to watch a Yank arguing with an Aus
over the semantics and usage of English!! :-)

**Kinda like watching two ants argue over a crumb of bread.

As an aside, an entertaining read on the subject of the English language
is "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson. US by birth and lived in the UK for
quite some time.
Tony

wrote:

Safe room temperature is round about 20 degrees Celcius. Fahrenheit went out
with the arc.

I believe an arc is typically 5000-30,000K. An ark would be much
cooler.

But if the arcs were part of the contours of an ark, they would be
cool too. Even most of the arcs that are not part of an ark can be
cool.

Tony (remove the "_" to reply by email)
Porky

"Peter Hill" wrote in message
"Porky" wrote in message

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm, if the weatherman says it's 20 degrees outside, I'm wearing my coat
and gloves when I go out. While some temps are now measured in Celcius, the
weather reports are still in Farenheit, so I measure room temps in degrees F
as well, just to avoid confusion.
I may be old fashioned and out of date, but I still think in inches,
feet, yards, and miles, and in pounds and ounces, and in fluid ounces,
pints, quarts and gallons. When I do metric, I still have to mentally
convert.

The Ghost

"Jim Carr" wrote in

LOL! That was a good one, Ghost! How did you know my penis had a battery?

I didn't, but I'm not surprised. It has to be somewhere because it
certainly isn't in your brian.

Trevor Wilson

"Porky" wrote in message

"Peter Hill" wrote in message
"Porky" wrote in message

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

**Indeed. Your approach is the same as most people. In fact, it is much like
learning a new language. People who learn a new language do not REALLY get
the hang of it, until they start thinking in the new language, instead of
mentally converting back to their native tongue, thinking, then translating
and speaking.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Jim Carr

"The Ghost" wrote in message
. 130...
"Jim Carr" wrote in

LOL! That was a good one, Ghost! How did you know my penis had a

battery?

I didn't, but I'm not surprised. It has to be somewhere because it
certainly isn't in your brian.

LOL! You are just *too* much! A battery in my brian...now *that* is funny!

Ben Bradley

In
alt.music.home-studio,
rec.audio.pro and
rec.audio.tech,
on Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:13:39 -0600, "Porky" wrote:

"Nat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know offhand what the range of safe room temperatures (in
F, please) is for studio gear?

Wait! if the correct spelling is litre than wouldn't a meter be spelled
metre too? After all, they're both units of measurement.
You know, any normal person browsing the audio groups must think we all
have Attention Deficit Disorder, we started off on the topic of safe room

Actually, many of us have Attentuation Deficit Disorder.

temps for audio gear, but now we're discussing measurement systems and
spelling, and the ghost wants to talk about penises (or would that be
penii?)! *ROFL*

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Tiernan

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Jim Carr" wrote in message

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

BTW: While you're switching to Metric, see if you Yanks can spell Litre
correctly. The rest of the planet manages to do so.

According to Google, there are five times as many sites with liter as with
litre. Americans won't go with litre for two reasons: First, it's from the
French and second, it helps us remember that a liter is "lighter" than a
quart.

**You Americans have short memories, doncha? Without the French, you would
still be British subjects.

Since we are being SO literal about language, let's not forget there are
two continents in the Americas.

www.DeanTiernan.com
Logan Shaw

Paul Stamler wrote:
You should note, also, that we don't use the imperial system in the US, but
the avoirdupois system. Imperial units are slightly different; for example,
an imperial pint is larger than an avoirdupois pint, which you can discover
at any British pub.

See, I told it was confusing?

How come we in the US are using a name with a French-sounding name
when the French are now hawking this new system called the SI? It
doesn't make sense, I tell ya!

- Logan

Logan Shaw

Logan Shaw wrote:

Paul Stamler wrote:

You should note, also, that we don't use the imperial system in the US, but
the avoirdupois system. Imperial units are slightly different; for example,
an imperial pint is larger than an avoirdupois pint, which you can discover
at any British pub.

See, I told it was confusing?

Apparently, I was so confused, I couldn't even write coherently.
I meant to say, "See, I told you it was confusing!". There, that's
better. (Or maybe not.)

- Logan
Stewart Pinkerton

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:55:21 -0600, "Porky" wrote:

"Peter Hill" wrote in message
"Porky" wrote in message

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

Only in the US.

so I measure room temps in degrees F
as well, just to avoid confusion.
I may be old fashioned and out of date, but I still think in inches,
feet, yards, and miles, and in pounds and ounces, and in fluid ounces,
pints, quarts and gallons. When I do metric, I still have to mentally
convert.

As do most of us old Imperial buffers, but it's not that hard, is it?

"Porky" wrote in message

"Nat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know offhand what the range of safe room temperatures (in
F, please) is for studio gear?

Wait! if the correct spelling is litre than wouldn't a meter be

spelled
metre too?

**Indeed. That IS how they're spelt.

It's getting a bit chilly, I think I'll turn up my heatre. And does
that
mean that the ghost is talking about Jim's petre? *ROFLMAO*

The language is *English*, you ignorami! There are *no* rules, words
just is what they is, and the fact that litre and metre are correct
spellings has no bearing whatever on any other words. I before e
except after c, said the heirs to the throne and their neighbours.

Yeah. Weird, ain't it.

Norm

"Peter Hill" wrote in message
"Porky" wrote in message

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

Look out, or you'll get me started on the subject of measurement units, on
which I have some definite opinions. e.g. fahrenheit degrees are a much
better way of expressing ambient temperature than are Celsius degrees.

Norm

Porky

"Jim Carr" wrote in message
"The Ghost" wrote in message
. 130...
"Jim Carr" wrote in

LOL! That was a good one, Ghost! How did you know my penis had a

battery?

I didn't, but I'm not surprised. It has to be somewhere because it
certainly isn't in your brian.

LOL! You are just *too* much! A battery in my brian...now *that* is funny!

Well, the ghost is obviously batty in his brain....

Porky

"Porky" wrote in message

"Peter Hill" wrote in message
"Porky" wrote in message

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

My point exactly. I grew up with inches, ounces, etc. Metric didn't come
along in the U.S. until I was grown, and then it was so haphazard that there
was no incentive to learn to think in metrics, mostly only in the auto
industry and then only in nut and bolt sizes. All it did was force me to buy
new wrenches and socket sets. Now I use a 14mm socket, but I still use a
3/8" ratchet handle to turn it, and when I buy fuel or vacuum lines, they
come in fractions of an inch diameter, but the fitting to which they attach
will most likely have metric threads. My tires are on rims measured in
inches and are pressurized to 28lbs/sq in, but the tire size is metric
except for the rim diameter. My gas tank is measured in gallons, my
antifreeze comes in gallon containers, and my oil comes in quarts. That's a
prime example of what happens when a government tries to legislate
"standards" on an one industry. Had it not been for the resistance to that
one stupid piece of legislation, it's quite probable that we would long agon
have changed to metrics on our own. :-)

Porky

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
In
alt.music.home-studio,
rec.audio.pro and
rec.audio.tech,
on Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:13:39 -0600, "Porky" wrote:

"Nat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know offhand what the range of safe room temperatures (in
F, please) is for studio gear?

Wait! if the correct spelling is litre than wouldn't a meter be

spelled
metre too? After all, they're both units of measurement.
You know, any normal person browsing the audio groups must think we

all
have Attention Deficit Disorder, we started off on the topic of safe room

Actually, many of us have Attentuation Deficit Disorder.

ADD is a fairly new term, but I'm sure I had it as a child. Thank goodness
I outgrew it. Uh, what were we talking about? :-)

The Ghost

"Jim Carr" wrote in

"The Ghost" wrote in message
. 130...
"Jim Carr" wrote in

LOL! That was a good one, Ghost! How did you know my penis had a

battery?

I didn't, but I'm not surprised. It has to be somewhere because it
certainly isn't in your brian.

LOL! You are just *too* much! A battery in my brian...now *that* is
funny!

It obviously doesn't take much to amuse a mentally-retarded do-nothing,
done-nothing nobody like Jim Carr. Too bad that he is too arrogant and too
stupid to realize that few if any of the people who he is trying to impress
are encumbered, as he is, with the mentality of a third grader. Anyone who
thinks otherwise will undoubtedly appreciate his third-grade level of humor
and his denial of reality which is exemplified in the following post.

Newsgroups: comp.dsp, rec.audio.pro, alt.music.home-studio
From: "Jim Carr" - Find messages by this author
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:59:06 -0700
Subject: Merry Christmas!
Report Abuse

"The Ghost" wrote in message

30...

What are your credentials?

I saved every gold star I ever got in grade school.

What are your areas of expertise?

Needling blowhards

Where did you get your M.D. and/or Ph.D?

From a diploma mill in Zimbabwe.

Where did you do your residency or post-doctoral work?

My brother's garage.

When did you ever hold a faculty position at either a medical school or

university?
When I was a professor there.

What medical school and/or university courses have you ever taught?

Introduction to Sarcasm.

What awards, fellowships and/or research grants have you ever received?

In college I was voted Most Likely to Aggravate an Imbecile

How many years of research experience do you have?

About a week.

How many years of consulting experience do you have?

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, consult.

What nationally-advertised seminars have you ever given?

"Ignorant Imbeciles - Why we can't stop loving them"

How many companies do you have consulting agreements with?

Far more than those with which I have consulting disagreements.

When was it that you were offered a research position at Bell Labs?

Right after they realized their mistake of hiring Gary Sokolilch.

How many papers have you published?

I used to deliver The Washington Post. Does that count?

How many patents do you have?

They are all pending.

How many MD's and/or Ph.D's do you have listed as references on your

resume?
As many as will fit.

Do you even have a resume that anyone not having a Beavis & Butthead

mentality would take seriously?
You think Beavis and Butthead would take *any* resume seriously? What a
maroon.

For your sake I hope that your attorney has something more
substantive than your infantile argumet to present in front of a judge

and
jury.

Argumet? Isn't that a French sauce you put on snails?

Porky

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
In
alt.music.home-studio,
rec.audio.pro and
rec.audio.tech,
on Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:13:39 -0600, "Porky" wrote:

"Nat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know offhand what the range of safe room temperatures (in
F, please) is for studio gear?

Wait! if the correct spelling is litre than wouldn't a meter be

spelled
metre too? After all, they're both units of measurement.
You know, any normal person browsing the audio groups must think we

all
have Attention Deficit Disorder, we started off on the topic of safe room

Actually, many of us have Attentuation Deficit Disorder.

Yeah, all rock musicians have that! *LOL* Good one, Ben.

The Ghost

"Porky" wrote in
:

"The Ghost" wrote in message
. 130...
"Jim Carr" wrote in

LOL! That was a good one, Ghost! How did you know my penis had a

battery?

I didn't, but I'm not surprised. It has to be somewhere because it
certainly isn't in your brian.

LOL! You are just *too* much! A battery in my brian...now *that* is
funny!

Well, the ghost is obviously batty in his brain....

And porky the swine is obviously brain dead and half way on his final
journey to the sausage factory.
Gareth Magennis

Look out, or you'll get me started on the subject of measurement units, on
which I have some definite opinions. e.g. fahrenheit degrees are a much
better way of expressing ambient temperature than are Celsius degrees.

Is it ********. Everyone on the planet knows how cold 0 degrees C is. Ice.
Everyone on the planet knows how hot 100 degrees C is. Boiling water.
(unless you are in the Hymalayas) Give a number like 470 degrees bleedin
Fahrenheit and nobody except North Americans has any idea what that means.
What is the point of that? Pah, I spit on you stupid Fahrenheit system,
it's rubbish.

Miles Durrie

Fascinating discussion! Here in Canada, the last Fahrenheit weather report
was broadcast around 1979 or 1980. Our gasoline is sold in litres, road
distances are measured in kilometres, speeds in km/h. Our vehicles have
metric speedometers and odometers (note the spellings -- "er" instead of
"re" is correct, as is "My VU meter is a metre away from me right now.")

Lumber and many tools still utilize old SAE and Imperial measurements. Many
recipes still use teaspoons, tablespoons, ounces, cups, pints and quarts,
rather than millilitres, litres, etc.

So we're about 80 per cent metric, but kids still need to be taught to be
conversant in the old measurements because they remain hanging around. As
usual, we blame the United States. If it had been decisive about switching,
our metrication (some say "metrification," in typical
if-I-add-a-syllable-I'll-sound-smarter fashion [c.f. "orientated,"
"irregardless," et al]) would have taken place much more thoroughly.
Gallons, feet and inches would be consigned to the same page of history as
rods, furlongs, cubits and pecks.

Whoever said the change has to be complete, the old "language" taken away,
and people taught to think in the new measurements, was absolutely right.

Miles (yeah, I know, my name's not metric. Brilliant people have been
pointing that out since I was eight years old.)

in article :

"Nat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know offhand what the range of safe room temperatures (in
F, please) is for studio gear?

Wait! if the correct spelling is litre than wouldn't a meter be

spelled
metre too? After all, they're both units of measurement.

Thomas Tornblom

writes:

Look out, or you'll get me started on the subject of measurement units, on
which I have some definite opinions. e.g. fahrenheit degrees are a much
better way of expressing ambient temperature than are Celsius degrees.

Norm

Now that would be interesting to see. Please enlighten me!

Thomas

Safe gear temps Nat Pro Audio 225 May 5th 05 10:28 PM
Home-reccers, your gear is good enough Raglan Pro Audio 387 September 17th 04 04:19 PM
Where's The Best Place To Buy Pro Audio Gear At A Discount? Mack Pro Audio 20 September 5th 04 06:13 PM
fs:pro gear for sale! Christos Tsantilis Pro Audio 1 August 27th 03 08:34 PM
fs:pro gear for sale! Christos Tsantilis Pro Audio 0 August 26th 03 09:08 PM