mike

Default P2P sharing of service manual PDF's

Barry Mann wrote:
In , on 05/16/04
at 01:59 PM, "Mark D. Zacharias" said:

See comments inserted. - mz

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
.com...

In , on 05/16/04
at 07:11 AM, "Mark D. Zacharias" said:

[ ... ]

I don't care for scanned PDF's. The files are large and generally hard
to read. How would you handle large schematics?

Better than nothing, I would say.
The majority of our new serice data is in electronic media ONLY. Some
are very cool, though, with "hot links" imbedded whereby one just
clicks on the I.C., for example, and it takes you to it's circuit
board location, click again and it goes to the prts list, again, and
it goes to the block diagram, etc. If you need to print a section,
that's easy to do.

The consumer side of me would like manuals to be available so that I
could fix minor problems myself and avoid the hassle of tracking down a
servicer who is competent. The only allure for me would be manuals for
very old units, no longer supported by manufacturers, for which generic
parts can be found. These units would have little or no commercial
value, but would be important to someone for other reasons.

The pro side of me avoids unofficial manuals because they are often out
dated time wasters. (the official manuals are often not much better)

The pro side of me also hates to deal with the unit that was butchered
on the kitchen table. Easily available manuals would encourage the
inept.

I won't say that I have never wished that I could find a manual online,
but, overall, they would not be valuable enough to encourage me to
participate in an effort to get them online.

[ ... ]

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Remember that manufacturers do not want you, or anyone else, to fix
their stuff. They want to sell you a NEW one.
When Tektronix switched corporate control from engineers to bean
counters, they quit making service manuals and supplying spare parts.
Every unit that gets fixed is a new one that doesn't get sold.

Most people who stand in line at 5AM at the TV superstore to get the $99
doorbuster
special don't give ANY thought to getting it fixed. The ONLY thing they
care about is the cheapest initial price.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

Ricky Eck

My opinion is, that there are literally millions of Techs out there. For
many years, we (including myself), have put LOTS of money in the repair
manuals. Where this board is great for giving good advice for free. I
think the last thing that any of the qualified techs want to do is just give
the manuals away for free. NOW, if the manufactures wanted to produce
PDF's, and sell them. That would be cool. And if those who purchased them,
wanted to throw their money away, that would be their option (not to mention
the legal aspect of it). However, you have to remember. These manuals in
the wrong hands, are a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. You can imagine
the Lawsuits against the companies and the people who distributed them?
Sure, there are a lot of those out there who are trained, and can read them.
However, I can tell you I have several Degrees in Electronics, computer
science, and Aero Electronics, does it mean it is true? No, I have none of
these. I am trained in electronics, I do know how to read the manuals,
however, I am far from a pro. I have to ask questions like the next. That
is why this board is great. We can share ideas, and even debate them. But
usually, we know when and when not to give the info out. We try to limit
the info, to insure that no one gets hurt (or killed), if these manuals were
just distributed, without cost, they would make it into hands that should
not have them. So, the cost, not only benefits the company, but also keeps
them out of unqualified hands.

Just My Opinion,
"Stepping off my Soapbox"
Rick

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

An unknowledgeable yahoo without a service manual is only that much more
dangerous than one with manual in hand. At least there are safety warnings
in the manuals.

Manufacturers do sell them, that is where we get them in the first place.

Fifty dollars to Onkyo will get you EVERY manual they have on PDF. Best deal
I know of, really. They even scanned almost all their old manuals, back to
the '70s.

Mark Z.

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
[...]

Ricky Eck

Safety Warnings on the manuals, Humm, last I seen, they were all over the
back of the devices, inside the devices, on the PCB, inside the instruction
manuals. What makes you think that they will pay any attention to the ones
in the service manuals?

Once again, it the person would rather try to get it free then pay 50 bucks.
If it is for free, an untrained person will try to read these. Heck, I have
been train, and sometimes I have to do a double take. The one layout that
Wizard showed me on the Vert chip, I had before, but once he described it, I
had to do a double take. So you can imagine what a person with HS
electronics 101 will think. Sure you will get those few headstrong people
who think they know better, and open it, and try. However, most will just
throw the unit away, never going near any HV. If you give them the papers
(on paper or disk), it will just encourage them to pull out the screwdriver,
and open 'er up.

Just My Opinion
Rick

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

I know what you're saying, but such a person couldn't read the schematic
portion in the first place.

My position on this is based on the assumption that it's mostly legitimate
techs who will use these.

For those who aren't - there's always the possibility of a Darwin Award.

Mark Z.

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
[...]

Chaos Master

mv /var/posts/Ricky /dev/null:
My opinion is, that there are literally millions of Techs out there. For
many years, we (including myself), have put LOTS of money in the repair
manuals. Where this board is great for giving good advice for free. I
think the last thing that any of the qualified techs want to do is just give
the manuals away for free.

NOW, if the manufactures wanted to produce
PDF's, and sell them. That would be cool. And if those who purchased them,
wanted to throw their money away, that would be their option (not to mention
the legal aspect of it).

PDF files can be encrypted, so you need a password to open them.

I have to ask questions like the next. That
is why this board is great. We can share ideas, and even debate them. But
usually, we know when and when not to give the info out. We try to limit
the info, to insure that no one gets hurt (or killed), if these manuals were
just distributed, without cost, they would make it into hands that should
not have them. So, the cost, not only benefits the company, but also keeps
them out of unqualified hands.

IMHO a service manual is *useless* if you don't know anything about electronics.
My disclaimer is - "Download the manuals and use them at your own risk. We can't
do anything if you kill yourself."

[]s
--
Chaos Master® | "I'm going under,
Posting from Brazil! | drowning in you

BitBanger

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
om...
In , on 05/16/04
at 07:11 AM, "Mark D. Zacharias" said:

Why not? Use Kazaa Lite - no spyware. The manufacturers mostly don't
copyright service info, and even if they did, they don't really care
about this.

I assume you are talking about service manuals.

I would like to see a statement from the manufacturers to approve this
sort of activity. Many are shy about sharing service info. I'm not near
my manuals at the moment, but I remember most of them as being
copyrighted or at least considered to be "proprietory" by the
manufacturers.

I could make many Pioneer, Yamaha, Sony and other audio / video
manuals available from my computer. Surely some others of us could as
well.

I don't care for scanned PDF's. The files are large and generally hard
to read. How would you handle large schematics? Most of my manuals have
large pullout drawings. Redrawn and retyped manuals would be useful,
but it is a *HUGE* project.

There's no other way in any case as most older service manuals only exist in
microfilm format. But the resolution is very good so scanning it and
converting it to PDF would surely be feasible, and it being digital, the
format size doesn't really matter.

Mark D. Zacharias

I'm starting to think that P2P won't really work due to the way the nodes
etc work on Kazaa.

I've been investigated a server called Streamload which is fairly ideal but
requires a 4.95 or 5.95 (I forget which) monthly fee.

Still considering this issue. The fee would probably filter out some of the
non-tech types, but then again participation would probably be almost
non-existent.

Mark Z.

"BitBanger" wrote in message

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
[...]

Chaos Master

Mark D. Zacharias ) caused an illegal operation in module
:
I'm starting to think that P2P won't really work due to the way the nodes
etc work on Kazaa.

I've been investigated a server called Streamload which is fairly ideal but
requires a 4.95 or 5.95 (I forget which) monthly fee.

eMule? BitTorrent? (just guesses).

BitTorrent seems ideal. You just create the .torrent files with the file info
and people download them whenever they want the file.

[]s

--
© 2004 Chaos Master | "I'm going under,
Posting from Brazil! | drowning in you

Mark D. Zacharias

I'll take a look at them. I was introduced to Streamload via a CBS Radio
Mystery Theater forum - they trade them that way. (With the permission of
the rights-owner, Mr. Himan Brown, that is.)

Mark Z.

"Chaos Master" wrote in message
[...]

El Meda

Chaos Master wrote:

Mark D. Zacharias ) caused an illegal operation in module
:
I'm starting to think that P2P won't really work due to the way the nodes
etc work on Kazaa.

I've been investigated a server called Streamload which is fairly ideal but
requires a 4.95 or 5.95 (I forget which) monthly fee.

eMule? BitTorrent? (just guesses).

BitTorrent seems ideal. You just create the .torrent files with the file info
and people download them whenever they want the file.

Also, there is DC++.
---
El Meda.

http://ingemeda.tripod.com/

gothika

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:27:24 -0300, Chaos Master
wrote:

Mark D. Zacharias ) caused an illegal operation in module
:
I'm starting to think that P2P won't really work due to the way the nodes
etc work on Kazaa.

I've been investigated a server called Streamload which is fairly ideal but
requires a 4.95 or 5.95 (I forget which) monthly fee.

eMule? BitTorrent? (just guesses).

BitTorrent seems ideal. You just create the .torrent files with the file info
and people download them whenever they want the file.

[]s

Everybody talks Kazaa whenever P2P comes up.
I've found Kazaa to be the worst.(endless viruses,worms etc... not to
mention all the bogus files.)
I know there are scores of P2P services available, some legit and in
the open some not.
I've used Winmix off and on ever since it went online and found it to
be the most productive and safe.(Not one virus/trojan/worm in all the
time I've used it.)
I don't know if it's set up for documents or such, but if so would be
ideal for exchange of manuals.(I'm assuming they'd be in pdf format.)
I've also been trying out edonkey the past few weeks with fair
results. That might be an option as they seem to have a wide variety
of file types available.
I think the main issue of contention as to making this work is getting
some techs to warm up to the idea of sharing their manuals.(most I've
talked to have the attitude that if they had to pay big bucks for a
service manual so should everyone else.)
We all know that these manuals are priced far above anything
resembling a fair market value. Even more so considering that most
small repair shops might not use the manual more than once.
Some in the repair industry feel the overcharging is a good thing,
after all it helps keep many smaller shops from taking repair work on
hardware that they'll have to pay 50 bucks or more up front for a
service manual just to get started on a job.
The high price coupled with the policy not to sell service manuals at
the consumer level also keeps the vast majority of the consumer market
from servicing their own appliances.(please, I don't need to hear from
all in the service industry about how it's too dangerous to allow
consumers to attempt their own repair jobs. Not all consumers are as
incapable as most would believe.)
There ARE thousands of DIY'ers out here that go the distance to learn
how to do the work themselves.( I had the advantage of growing up in a
TV & Radio repair shop as well as having gone through BE & E in my
service days, so I realize I may be a bit of an exception. But have
seen many hobbyist that had many hours of schooling in electronics
courtesy their local votech.)
One way of looking at it could be that if more manuals were swapped it
would force down the price of service manuals for all.
Only those with monopolizing the market in mind could see this as a
bad thing.
I can remember the days when a Sams service pack was available to all
for as little as a buck. Haven't even seen Sams manuals since most of
the hobby shops went out.

gothika

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:05:19 +0200, "BitBanger" wrote:

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
[...]

Well, manuals ARE copyrighted. It's not against the law to reverse
engineer them tho'.
In fact many of the aftermarket manuals I've seen appear identical to
their oem counterparts.
Face it though. sharing a manual for free would at best be difficult
to procecute.
Certainly a far more trivial crime when compared to the highway
robbery of the oem's and the prices they charge for a manual.