Stager

Default Speaker sensitivity and fs in multiples.

How does using speakers in arrays affect their sensitivity and
total resonant frequency?

For example, say I have four 8 ohm mids, each individually
rated at 90 dB sensitivity (at 1 meter, 1 watt).

If I do a series-parallel array, I know I'll still be at 8 ohms,
but how will the sensitivity change from the original individual
90 dB.

Or a pair, or trio, either in parallel or series -- is
there a formula to determine the sensitivity change in a
group of similar speakers units when you know what it is
for an individual driver?

Also, when grouping woofers, say I have four 8 inch woofers
in a box, each has an fs of 55 hz. How does the res. freq.
change with the multiplication of woofers, and therefore the
calculation of the port if it's not a sealed box?

TIA
________________ Marc Stager
Per Stromgren

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:43:24 GMT, Stager
wrote:

How does using speakers in arrays affect their sensitivity and
total resonant frequency?

specific questions snipped

I don't know the answers to your questions, but they can all be found
in Vance Dicakason's book Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. If you don't
get any answers before I come home tonight (which I am sure you'll
get) I will look them up in the book for you.

Perhaps you would need the book yourself? It is full of facts and
procedures and easy to understand.

Per.

Dick Pierce

Stager wrote in message ...
How does using speakers in arrays affect their sensitivity and
total resonant frequency?

For example, say I have four 8 ohm mids, each individually
rated at 90 dB sensitivity (at 1 meter, 1 watt).

If I do a series-parallel array, I know I'll still be at 8 ohms,
but how will the sensitivity change from the original individual
90 dB.

In a series parallel array of the kind you're talking about,
for a given voltqge across the array, the total power in the
array is the same, since the impedance is the same, but each
driver dissipates 1/4 of the total power, leading to the same
sensitivity as a single driver.

Or a pair, or trio, either in parallel or series -- is
there a formula to determine the sensitivity change in a
group of similar speakers units when you know what it is
for an individual driver?

Ignoring acoustic effects, and just concentrating on the
electrical properties, you essentially examine what the total
impedanmce of the array is, and then examine how it is divided
amongst the drivers. Three drivers in series, for example, will
in total dissipate 1/3 the power of a single driver, since its
total impedance is 3 times higher, with each driver talking 1/3
of that total. Those same three drivers in parallel will take
3 times the power, since the impedance is 1/3 of the original.

So, in general, you can say that n drivers in parallel will have
n times the sensitivity of one, while n in series will have 1/n
the sensivitity.

Also, when grouping woofers, say I have four 8 inch woofers
in a box, each has an fs of 55 hz. How does the res. freq.
change with the multiplication of woofers, and therefore the
calculation of the port if it's not a sealed box?

Putting n drivers in a box makes the box look n times smaller
than for a single driver. In other words, if you put 4 drivers
in a single box with a volume of 100 liters, it's the same (at
low frequencies) as putting each driver in a 25 liter box.
In general, the effect is the same whether the box is vented
or not.

Svante

(Dick Pierce) wrote in message . com...
Stager wrote in message ...
How does using speakers in arrays affect their sensitivity and
total resonant frequency?

For example, say I have four 8 ohm mids, each individually
rated at 90 dB sensitivity (at 1 meter, 1 watt).

If I do a series-parallel array, I know I'll still be at 8 ohms,
but how will the sensitivity change from the original individual
90 dB.

In a series parallel array of the kind you're talking about,
for a given voltqge across the array, the total power in the
array is the same, since the impedance is the same, but each
driver dissipates 1/4 of the total power, leading to the same
sensitivity as a single driver.

Sorry, Dick, I think you are wrong here. The efficiency is actually
quadrupled in this case leading to a 10*log(4)=6dB increase in
efficiency. I know this seems terribly wrong, but is true, at least
for low frequencies. It is easiest to understand like this; 4 sources
gives 4 times the sound pressure, which leads to a 20*log(4)=12dB
increase of the SPL compared to the single driver. However, this
example assumes that each of the drivers received the same amount of
power as the single driver, which is 10*log(4)=6 dB more. The net gain
is 6 dB, which is an efficiency increase. Another way of looking at it
is to calculate the power produced by the motion of the cone, which
should be the F*x/t, F being the force from the air as sensed by the
cone, x being the displacement and t the time. If there is a sound
pressure from another driver, this will increase the output power of
the driver, and thus increase the efficiency.

This reasoning holds for low frequencies, ie when the drivers are
mounted close to each other compared to the wavelength. For higher
frequencies it holds straight in front of the speaker (anechoic
conditions) but to the sides, interference will decrease the sound
pressure. So for higher frequencies, on average (over frequencies and
directions) your statement ends up correct (ie the
efficiency/sensitivity is the same)

Stager

I'm still not too clear on the answer. I'm not actually
looking for a simple answer but a way to calculate the
efficiency given the individual sensitivity and the number
of drivers in a cluster.

I use several such multi-speaker arrays. There are four
Audax mids (each is 100 dB @ 1W) in each mid-range box,
paired at each stack, and four 8 ohm JBL 8 ohm 2405's
in each HF cluster (each about 104 dB) in these stacks:

http://www.naumburgconcerts.org/gallery/orc2.htm
http://www.naumburgconcerts.org/gallery/sarah-reh-1.htm
( At Lincoln Center and Central Park )

I have smaller mid-high speakers with 3 Audax mids
and 2 2405's in each.

All are triamped.

http://www.marc.stager.com/sss/A_Shankar.jpg
( At Met Mseum of Art )

They are all very efficient, but I was curious, exactly
HOW efficient.

________________ Marc Stager
Stager Sound Systems NYC

Bob-Stanton

(Svante) wrote in message

[...]

I think what you are saying is: the efficiency of a quad array is
higher, (at low frequencies) because the Zma (radiation impedance) is
higher.

For pratical reasons, four separate drivers must have some physical
distance between them. Maybe 3 cm, edge to edge? That separation would
make the Zma a little lower.

Have you made a measurement of the actual efficiency of single driver
and of an array of those drivers?

Bob Stanton

Svante

Stager wrote in message ...
I'm still not too clear on the answer. I'm not actually
looking for a simple answer but a way to calculate the
efficiency given the individual sensitivity and the number
of drivers in a cluster.

OK, the answer is really simple; If the efficiency is measured on
linear scale (%), the efficiency is proportional to the number of
drivers. So, if a single speaker has an efficiency of 0.1% a system
made of two such speakers would have an efficiency of 0.2%, three
0.3%, four 0.4% etc.
On a log scale (dB) each doubling of the number of speakers would give
you 3 dB a increase in efficiency. So, if a single speaker gives 90 dB
@ 1W a system made of two such speakers would give you 93 dB, four 96
dB, eight 99 dB etc.

The above holds for low frequencies (such that the dimensions of the
system is smaller than the wavelength) and for a reasonable number of
drivers. Obviously, the efficiency can never go above 100%.

Don Pearce

On 29 Nov 2003 10:45:12 -0800, (Svante)
wrote:

Stager wrote in message ...
[...]

None of this changes the efficiency, these apparent gains are in fact
increases in directivity. Move off axis and the result of multiple
speakers is actually reduced, not increased volume. Seen this way, it
is clear that there is actually no theoretical limit to the amount of
"gain" available from multiple speakers. Of course the increased level
is purely a far-field phenomenon, and the distance from the speakers
you need to reach the far field goes up with each added driver.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

Goofball_star_dot_etal

wrote:

Stager wrote in message ...
[...]

Wrong, if the speakers are close together in terms of wavelength.
Although in the case being discussed 4 v 1 driver, the total input
power is the same (4 * 1/4) the total displacement is 4 * 1./2. The
drive voltage is 1./2 ( sqrt (1/4)). If the speakers are close
together the individual displacements simply add.

Rusty Boudreaux

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote in
message ...
In a series parallel array of the kind you're talking

about,
for a given voltqge across the array, the total power in

the
array is the same, since the impedance is the same, but

each
driver dissipates 1/4 of the total power, leading to the

same
sensitivity as a single driver.

Sorry, Dick, I think you are wrong here. The efficiency is

actually

Nope, Mr. Pierce is quite correct and you are wrong.

Since the impedance is the same and the drive level is the

same
the total output is the same.

Please explain how four drivers at one quater 'X' watts can be
anything other than the same as a single driver driven at 'X'
watts.

The question was about sensitivity which includes such things

as
efficiency and directivity.

Well, I thought this was about combining drivers of known
sensitivity.

Dick said drivers in a series/parallel combination that results
in the same impedance will have the same sensitivity. Someone
posted Dick was wrong, but in fact he is correct.

In general n drivers in parallel have n times the sensitivity of
one, while n in series will have a sensitivity of 1/n. This can
be extended to series/parallel combinations:

Take identical drivers each with a sensitivity of n:
Put two in parallel you get 2n.
Put two in series you get n/2.
Put two in parallel and series with another two in parallel: You
get (2n*2n)/(2n+2n)=4n^2/4n=n (i.e. the same as a single driver).

Dick was right.

gregs

. com...

Stager wrote in message

[...]

Somewhere there is confusion here. Let me add to the confusion and see if I'm right.

I always work with these things on paper to add things up. I,m going to
simplify. If you take two series 8 ohm drivers, they will play at the same volume with half
the input power. Now add another paralleled set. They will now absorb twice the input power
and the output volume will increse 6 dB. You have doubled the sound field. So I say the efficiency
incresed by 3 dB and you have a 93db sensitivity.

If you had 4 series 8 ohm drivers, it would play at the same level with 1/4 the power of if one
driver. If you took 4 paralled sets of these, it would absorb the power of one, and play at 12 dB
louder. But I don't know for sure. I think approaching 10 dB efficiency is a hazy area, where
its really difficult to maintain phase coherence.

One interestin fact solid state amps and 8 ohm drivers. Two in parallel, and you can quadruple the
amplifier rated watts of one driver rated power. Four in series, and you can almost forget about
blowing them out. This is only true when we are speaking of 8 ohm power rating of an amplifier.

When making arrays, the overall system response tends to go downward of one driver, because
of the tendancy of the higher frequencies not being as phase coherant. In reality the lower
end does not change, its the upper end that changes.

greg

Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:54:50 -0600, "Rusty Boudreaux"
wrote:

Well, I thought this was about combining drivers of known
sensitivity.

Yes

Dick said drivers in a series/parallel combination that results
in the same impedance will have the same sensitivity. Someone
posted Dick was wrong, but in fact he is correct.

Dick is always right. He said "Ignoring acoustic effects" and then
went out for lunch, it seems, without elaborating on the magnitude of
what he was ignoring.

In general n drivers in parallel have n times the sensitivity of
one, while n in series will have a sensitivity of 1/n. This can
be extended to series/parallel combinations:

Take identical drivers each with a sensitivity of n:
Put two in parallel you get 2n.
Put two in series you get n/2.
Put two in parallel and series with another two in parallel: You
get (2n*2n)/(2n+2n)=4n^2/4n=n (i.e. the same as a single driver).

Dick was right.

Ok, lets try again. In this four driver series-parallel arrangement
the applied voltage and current to each driver is halved so the power
to each (V*I) is one quarter. Well above resonance where mass
dominates Half the current results in half the acceleraton (F=ma).
Half the acceleration results in half the linear displacement, half
the velocity, half the volume displacement, half the volume velocity,
half the acoustic prresure etc. ( all at constant frequency). The
same proportionality applies over the whole operating range. Mecanical
work is force times distance or to get the same units pressure times
volume. Power is the rate of doing work so pressure times volume
velocity. Each of the drivers ion its own if supplied with quarter of
the power will produce half the pressure and half the volume velocity
and quatrer of the accoustic power. However in close proximity to
other drivers the pressures will add up 1/2 +1/2+1/2+1/2 =2 and the
volume displacements will add up 1/2+1/2+1/2+1/2 = 2 and 2 * 2 = 4 I
think you must agree.

Dick has written

Specifically, the efficiency is determined by the following
relationship:

2 2 2
p0 B l Sd
n0 = ------ * ---- * -------
2 pi c Re Mms^2

where
n0 is the reference efficiency of the driver
p0 is the densiy of air = 1.18 kilograms per cubic meter
pi is 3.1415926535...
c is the velocity of sound in air =~ 342 meters per second
B is the flux density of the magnetic field in the voice coil
gap
in Tesla (1 T = 10,000 Gauss)
l is the length of the voice coil wire in the magnet field B in
meters
Re is the DC resistance of the voice coil in Ohms
Sd is the area of the cone in square meters
Mms is the moving mass of the cone in kilograms

Phew!

End quote

It is not obvious how this relates to multiple drivers but it is clear
that the acoustic output power is proportional to the volume
displacement squared.

Goofball_star_dot_etal

"The same proportionality applies over the whole operating range"

Should read "At any given frequency the displacement is proportional
to applied voltage or current"
Goofball_star_dot_etal

"The same proportionality applies over the whole operating range"

Should read "At any given frequency the displacement is proportional
to applied voltage or current"
Don Pearce

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:19:30 GMT, ow
(Goofball_star_dot_etal) wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:49:46 +0000, Don Pearce
wrote:

On 29 Nov 2003 10:45:12 -0800,
(Svante)
wrote:

Stager wrote in message ...
[...]

No, you haven't understood.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com
Don Pearce

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:19:30 GMT, ow
(Goofball_star_dot_etal) wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:49:46 +0000, Don Pearce
wrote:

On 29 Nov 2003 10:45:12 -0800,
(Svante)
wrote:

Stager wrote in message ...
[...]

Svante

wrote:

Stager wrote in message ...
[...]

Sorry, you're wrong. For HIGH frequencies (averaged over directions
and frequencies), yes, but for low frequencies the decreased level off
axis that you describe will never occur. The contributions from the
speakers will be in phase, and thus add up to a pressure corresponding
to n*p1 (n = number of speakers, p1 being the sound pressure from one
speaker).
Input power will be multiplied by n, but output power by n^2, since
acoustic power is proportional to sound pressure squared. Thus
efficiency increases linearly with the number of speakers, (n^2)/n.

Don Pearce

On 30 Nov 2003 02:06:41 -0800, (Svante)
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote in message . ..
On 29 Nov 2003 10:45:12 -0800,
(Svante)
wrote:

Stager wrote in message ...
[...]

Please read my comment about the far field. That covers everything you
have said here. But I will repeat for clarity "EFFICIENCY IS NOT
INCREASED BY ADDING DRIVERS".

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com
Don Pearce

On 30 Nov 2003 02:06:41 -0800, (Svante)
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote in message . ..
On 29 Nov 2003 10:45:12 -0800,
(Svante)
wrote:

Stager wrote in message ...
[...]

Svante

(Bob-Stanton) wrote in message . com...
(Svante) wrote in message

[...]

Ok, that's another way of looking at it.

For pratical reasons, four separate drivers must have some physical
distance between them. Maybe 3 cm, edge to edge? That separation would
make the Zma a little lower.

Yes, but if we assume that the frequency is low the difference is
neglectible. It is never the distance in itself that is important, but
the distance compared to the wavelength.

Have you made a measurement of the actual efficiency of single driver

and of an array of those drivers?

I must confess, no. But it is basic acoustics.