mbenson

Default Small Condenser reccomendations for acoustic guitar

I like the sounds I get out of my MXL 603s. And they're cheap. You can pick
them up for around $75 each. Try ebay.
--
Mitchell Benson
OKC Backup
"Mon11" wrote in message
om...
I currently record acoustic guitar with one ADK A-51 large condensor
mic running through a Presonus MP20 preamp and an FMR Audio RNC
compressor into a Fostex FD-8 digital recorder. I'd like to get a
second mic to have true stereo sound. First, I am assuming that a
small condenser is the type to get? Anyway, I'd like to get one for
under $350. I play on a Takamine cutaway and typically play acoustic
rock type songs (newer and classic). I realize that every mic has
it's goods and bads, but just give me a can't-go-wrong-with-this-one
mic (I know. I know. $350 doesn't stretch forever). Thanks.

Ricky W. Hunt

"Mon11" wrote in message
om...
I currently record acoustic guitar with one ADK A-51 large condensor
mic running through a Presonus MP20 preamp and an FMR Audio RNC
compressor into a Fostex FD-8 digital recorder. I'd like to get a
second mic to have true stereo sound. First, I am assuming that a
small condenser is the type to get? Anyway, I'd like to get one for
under $350. I play on a Takamine cutaway and typically play acoustic
rock type songs (newer and classic). I realize that every mic has
it's goods and bads, but just give me a can't-go-wrong-with-this-one
mic (I know. I know. $350 doesn't stretch forever). Thanks.

I'll second the 603 for acoustic guitar. I've actually had people who know
zilch about equipment stop and say, "what are you doing to get that sound?"
when all I did was put up a 603.

P Stamler

I currently record acoustic guitar with one ADK A-51 large condensor
mic running through a Presonus MP20 preamp and an FMR Audio RNC
compressor into a Fostex FD-8 digital recorder. I'd like to get a
second mic to have true stereo sound. First, I am assuming that a
small condenser is the type to get? Anyway, I'd like to get one for
under $350.

If you really want true stereo sound, you need to get another A-51. True stereo
sound implies matched microphones.

Or get a pair of small-diaphragm condensers. In your price range (well, a
little outside it, but not far) I'd try a pair of Oktava MC-012s, matched by
Sound Room (www.oktava.com).

Peace,
Paul
WillStG

Cardiods, cardiods, blah blah blah.

How about a nice Sennheiser MKE102 omni lav capsule with a K6 power
module? You can stick a nice omni right in front of the sound hole of an
acoustic if you wish and not get all the woofiness that a cardiod would bring.
A singer/guitarist can sing on a cardiod mic at the same time as an omni's on
his guitar without a lot of phase problems between the two mics.

I _like_ omnis a lot.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Fox And Friends/Fox News