Matt Warnock

Default car electronics - rectifier

I'm connecting some electronics to the power in my car. I know that the car
electrical system can be a little harsh, so I'm wondering the best way to
protect delicate electronics. The device in question is an LCD screen I
have installed. The device came with an AC power supply and a cigarette
lighter adaptor. The adaptor appears to have some power rectifying
circuitry. My question is, if I want to connect to this to the power, what
kind of circuitry should I build? I was going to use a 12v rectifier to
keep the voltage from going over 12 volts, and a cap between the input
voltage and ground and another one between the output voltage and ground.
Is this a sufficient design for this application, and what value caps should
I use? I think I used small ceramic caps .22uf maybe? last time I made
something like this. Also, I don't want to cut up my cigarette lighter cord
and use the rectifier, but this is an option too.

let me know if you have any ideas. thanks!

MZ

[...]

You could always hit Radio Shack and buy a female cig lighter adapter. Then
you wouldn't have to cut the cord.

Rich Grise

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:37:30 -0500, Matt Warnock wrote:

I'm connecting some electronics to the power in my car. I know that the car
electrical system can be a little harsh, so I'm wondering the best way to
protect delicate electronics. The device in question is an LCD screen I
have installed. The device came with an AC power supply and a cigarette

^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
lighter adaptor. The adaptor appears to have some power rectifying

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
circuitry. My question is, if I want to connect to this to the power,
what kind of circuitry should I build? I was going to use a 12v
rectifier to keep the voltage from going over 12 volts, and a cap
between the input voltage and ground and another one between the output
voltage and ground. Is this a sufficient design for this application,
and what value caps should I use? I think I used small ceramic caps
.22uf maybe? last time I made something like this. Also, I don't want
to cut up my cigarette lighter cord and use the rectifier, but this is
an option too.

let me know if you have any ideas. thanks!

Isn't the lighter adapter that came with it intended to just plug in
to the lighter socket?

???
Rich

Kevin McMurtrie

In article UzCid.7639$ep3.1328@lakeread02,
"Matt Warnock" wrote:

[...]

A rectifier won't limit output to 12V.

Make sure that it runs off 12V, not 9V. The car adaptor could really
contain a voltage regulator.

A simple LC or RC filter works for automotive power spikes. LC
(inductor + capacitor) filters are available as "noise eliminator" kits.
RC (resistor + capacitor) filters work fine for low power equipment. 1
Ohm series on the input then 2200 microfarads to ground works. It will
loose 1 volt per amp drawn. Make sure you use a single ground.
Tam/WB2TT

"Matt Warnock" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what you mean by 12 V rectifier. If you mean 12 V zener, keep
in mind that nominal battery voltage with the engine running will probably
be over 14 volts, and it could go higher under a trouble condition. To limit
high voltage spikes, you could add an automotive transient suppressor. These
generally limit at about 20 V.

Tam

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:10:35 -0500, "Tam/WB2TT"
wrote:

[...]

A zener would require the appropriate resistor in series with it,
based on current draw and potential difference, to drop the excess
voltage also.

Tom
MZ

A zener would require the appropriate resistor in series with it,
based on current draw and potential difference, to drop the excess
voltage also.

I smell dead battery.

A zener-resistor circuit alone is not the answer, short of triggering it
with the ignition wire. Even then, the zener will probably get pretty hot.
The car voltage and LCD current draw fluctuates too much to be able to
accurately choose a resistor that will work well with a small zener.

(when I refer to the LCD current draw fluctuating, I mean that it changes
based on the brightness setting on the LCD. I change mine based on whether
or not it's dark outside)

Tam/WB2TT

wrote:

[...]

That's impractical. an LDO series regulator would work, but be overkill.

Tam

Matt Warnock

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message

[...]

A chip that limits the voltage to whatever its specified. I have one for 6
volts, there are ones for 6 and 9 and 12v. it has 3 pins, 1 in, 1 out, 1
shared ground. I guess I really mean a regulator, not rectifier.

Pooh Bear

**** The device came with a ...... cigarette
lighter adaptor. The adaptor appears to have some power rectifying
circuitry. ****

NO ! A cigarette lighter outlet provides DC. Therefore this adaptor doesn't need
to provide any *rectification*.

More likely, it adjusts ( regulates ) the car battery voltage ( which varies
somewhat in use ) to the correct voltage for the LCD.

My question is, if I want to connect to this to the power, what
kind of circuitry should I build? I was going to use a 12v rectifier to
keep the voltage from going over 12 volts,

Rectifiers don't do that.

and a cap between the input
voltage and ground and another one between the output voltage and ground.
Is this a sufficient design for this application, and what value caps should
I use? I think I used small ceramic caps .22uf maybe?

Far too small to do anything. You would need several, tens maybe, of thousands
of uF to significantly affect supply disturbances *plus* a series resistor or
choke.

last time I made
something like this. Also, I don't want to cut up my cigarette lighter cord
and use the rectifier, but this is an option too.

Do you know what voltage the LCD requires ? I suspect that the adaptor may
contain a voltage regulator that steps down the car's nominal 12 volts to the
needed value.

Graham

Bruce Chang

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message

[...]

Regulator, yes. Those are typically TO220 packages. They should be able to
handle just about anything automotive electrically speaking. Even in a
worst case scenario.

If the car adaptor has the regulation, why do you need to build anything
else? You might want to open up the cigarette adapter and see if there is
any regulator in the adaptor.. If there isn't, then just hook it straight to
power and don't worry about it.