How do you test a Selenium Rectifier?

Old December 2nd 18, 07:30 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair

Default How do you test a Selenium Rectifier?

How do you test a Selenium Rectifier?

Yes, I am aware that they should be replaced, but on preliminary tests
of this 1956 Zenith tube AM-FM Radio, I want to know if it's working. My
digital multimeter shows 1meg in one direction, 2.5 meg the other way.
NOT DISCONNECTED FROM THE CIRCUIT. To me, that seems bad, but I have not
worked with one of these in many years, and never had to replace one in
the old days. My meter was climbing, probably from the filter caps.
during this test.

Old December 2nd 18, 11:57 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom

On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 01:26:41 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

> A DMM won't read correctly. No enough voltage compliance on the current
> source to read ohms correctly.

True, but it *might* give some rough indication, like if the thing has
somehow shorted out. I have a few of those lying around somewhere; I'll
measure 'em with a DVM just out of curiosity and see if I get readings
like those reported by tabbs.

> Just replace it with a 1N4007 diode and about 100 ohms series resistor.

Not kosher if you want to keep the internals original! Many collectors
are extremely fussy about that.

Old December 2nd 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom

On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 10:12:01 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

> Get a voltage source of around 10 volts or more (maybe even a 9 volt
> battery will be enough) use your meter on the voltage scale and put hte
> battery , diode , voltmeter in series. Then turn the voltage or diode
> around and measure again. There should be a couple of volts dropped one
> way and many more (almost all) the other.

+1

Old December 6th 18, 06:42 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 10:57:07 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 01:26:41 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
>
>> A DMM won't read correctly. No enough voltage compliance on the current
>> source to read ohms correctly.

>True, but it *might* give some rough indication, like if the thing has
>somehow shorted out. I have a few of those lying around somewhere; I'll
>measure 'em with a DVM just out of curiosity and see if I get readings
>like those reported by tabbs.
>

>> Just replace it with a 1N4007 diode and about 100 ohms series resistor.

>Not kosher if you want to keep the internals original! Many collectors
>are extremely fussy about that.

I plan to leave it on the chassis for looks, but replace it.
My voltage is real low, so it seems it's weak or worse....

selenium rectifier spice model robert casey Vacuum Tubes 2 January 20th 07 09:10 AM
5z3 rectifier Lewis Vacuum Tubes 2 December 2nd 06 03:41 AM
Unknown rectifier? Tonni Vacuum Tubes 5 February 25th 06 03:29 PM
6CA4 and a Selenium rectifier Al Marcy Vacuum Tubes 1 February 10th 05 02:51 AM
Best 5Y3 Rectifier? BoB Vacuum Tubes 12 May 29th 04 11:16 PM