Ever heard an exotic high-dollar turntable playing LP's? Hugedifference? No?

Old August 5th 18, 07:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

Default Ever heard an exotic high-dollar turntable playing LP's? Hugedifference? No?

On 05/08/2018 17:44, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 17:04:09 +0100, John Williamson
> > wrote:

>>> Yep, some of them are so good they come up to level about 5% of that
>>> of a cheap CD player.
>>>

>> About as good as a 64kbps mp3 file, then?

> Well, that's pushing it a little maybe - not really that good.

<Grin>

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old August 5th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/08/2018 12:08 AM, John Williamson wrote:
> On 05/08/2018 12:10, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> On 8/5/2018 3:22 AM, John Williamson wrote:
>>> I've always been one of those that plays the record once, while
>>> recording it on to the best tape or digital medium I have available.

>> I'm too old to have done that. When I first started buying records, I
>> didn't have a tape recorder. And my record playing system was far
>> better than the tape recorders I could afford when I could finally add
>> one to my system. Today, I have no compelling reason to buy a
>> phonograph record.
>>

> Nor do I, but my local Tesco superstore has just started stocking a
> (very) limited range of vinyl.
>
> As most of what is there is classic rock titles, IĀ* would hope they've
> not suffered any remastering other than making new stampers. I'll still
> be listening to the CD versions, though.

Or one can make a digital recording of the LP, and have a CD version
that faithfully documents all the limitations and flaws that the
enthusiasts find to be supposedly 'superior to digital'.

Old August 5th 18, 11:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/08/2018 9:45 AM, geoff wrote:
> On 6/08/2018 12:08 AM, John Williamson wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm too old to have done that. When I first started buying records, I
>>> didn't have a tape recorder. And my record playing system was far
>>> better than the tape recorders I could afford when I could finally
>>> add one to my system. Today, I have no compelling reason to buy a
>>> phonograph record.
>>>

>> Nor do I, but my local Tesco superstore has just started stocking a
>> (very) limited range of vinyl.
>>
>> As most of what is there is classic rock titles, IĀ* would hope they've
>> not suffered any remastering other than making new stampers. I'll
>> still be listening to the CD versions, though.
>>

> Or one can make a digital recording of the LP, and have a CD version
> that faithfully documents all the limitations and flaws that the
> enthusiasts find to beĀ* supposedly 'superior to digital'.
>
> geoff

Oh yeah, and have the speakers going at full listening level when
recording, in order to capture any physical excitation of the
transcription chain that may contribute to 'The Sound Of Vinyl'.

Old August 6th 18, 12:09 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff > wrote:

>Or one can make a digital recording of the LP, and have a CD version
>that faithfully documents all the limitations and flaws that the
>enthusiasts find to be supposedly 'superior to digital'.

For that, though, you need a really good turntable, as mentioned initially
in this thread.

You can also do this for LPs that will never, ever be issued on CD.
There are plenty of those.
Old August 6th 18, 02:35 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 5/08/2018 5:22 PM, John Williamson wrote:
> On 05/08/2018 08:02, Trevor wrote:
>> But back in the day the BEST reason for having a *good*
>> turntable/tonearm/cartridge was you didn't destroy your records every
>> time you played them! Better sounding **** was mainly a bonus. Now
>> most people don't care, (not that they ever did) their records
>> sounding crappier and crappier every time they play them adds to their
>> "appeal" now apparently. And they still get to perform the "rituals"
>> they missed out on with digital media. :-)
>>

> I've always been one of those that plays the record once, while
> recording it on to the best tape or digital medium I have available.

Me too back in the day. Played the record, recorded onto reel for home
and cassette for car. Then only played the record for serious listening.
By the time digital came along though, there was no need to buy vinyl,
or record CD's onto tape.

Old August 6th 18, 02:44 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 5/08/2018 10:08 PM, John Williamson wrote:
> On 05/08/2018 12:10, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> On 8/5/2018 3:22 AM, John Williamson wrote:
>>> I've always been one of those that plays the record once, while
>>> recording it on to the best tape or digital medium I have available.

>> I'm too old to have done that. When I first started buying records, I
>> didn't have a tape recorder. And my record playing system was far
>> better than the tape recorders I could afford when I could finally add
>> one to my system. Today, I have no compelling reason to buy a
>> phonograph record.
>>

> Nor do I, but my local Tesco superstore has just started stocking a
> (very) limited range of vinyl.
>
> As most of what is there is classic rock titles, IĀ* would hope they've
> not suffered any remastering other than making new stampers. I'll still
> be listening to the CD versions, though.

Hope away. Many are digitally remastered before being made into vinyl
for people more interested in "the look and feel", than the sound. And
most of the new albums on vinyl are recorded digitally too. But those
who buy the vinyl will still swear they are superior of course. :-)
Never hear anyone admit they simply *prefer* the vinyl anomalies and
degradations. I'll admit the covers are better though. Hardly enough for
me to buy one now.

Old August 6th 18, 05:28 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/08/2018 1:44 PM, Trevor wrote:
> On 5/08/2018 10:08 PM, John Williamson wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm too old to have done that. When I first started buying records, I
>>> didn't have a tape recorder. And my record playing system was far
>>> better than the tape recorders I could afford when I could finally
>>> add one to my system. Today, I have no compelling reason to buy a
>>> phonograph record.
>>>

>> Nor do I, but my local Tesco superstore has just started stocking a
>> (very) limited range of vinyl.
>>
>> As most of what is there is classic rock titles, IĀ* would hope they've
>> not suffered any remastering other than making new stampers. I'll
>> still be listening to the CD versions, though.

> Hope away. Many are digitally remastered before being made into vinyl
> for people more interested in "the look and feel", than the sound. And
> most of the new albums on vinyl are recorded digitally too. But those
> who buy the vinyl will still swear they are superior of course. :-)
> Never hear anyone admit they simply *prefer* the vinyl anomalies and
> degradations. I'll admit the covers are better though. Hardly enough for
> me to buy one now.

I recently purchase the LP version of Thick As A Brick. Just for the
cover and add-ins. Dog ate my old one ;-/

Probably won't ever listen to the disc though, except maybe late one
night after a few too many wines and a fit of nostalgia.

Old August 6th 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_11_]

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 16:49:01 -0700 (PDT), Brassplyer
> wrote:

>Ever heard an exotic turntable in action? Do you have one? Do you feel the difference between it and say a correctly set up Technics SL1200MK2 is night and day?

Yes, I have heard quite a few. Back in the late 80s I worked for a
company that sold turntable - arm combos that sold for thousands of
dollars. I own a Technics SL1200MK2. If there is a major difference, I
can't hear it. Cartridges, however can vary greatly in all parameters.
Linear arm turntables, like the Revox and Rabcos will have less
distortion on the inner tracks but they also have other drawbacks. If
I were you, I'd keep the table you have and, if you want better sound,
upgrade the cartridge.