Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Lesurf[_2_] Jim Lesurf[_2_] is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article , Jerry
wrote:

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
: In article , Jerry
: wrote:

[Snip]

:
: Almost anything "can" happen. But in reality how often does it?

Not very often, just as kids in areas that do not use the UK's BS1363
plug/socket don't tend to poke things into other types of sockets,

So no stats on either.

: But then people know that, in the UK appliances could
actually be
: protected at 30A (with old slow-blow fuse wire) but the
person using
: the appliance believes that it is protected at the correct
3A.
:
: How often is that the case? I've not come across anyone using
fuse wire (of
: any rating) to replace the fuse cart in a mains plug for
decades. is that
: what you are referring to?

No, think metal bolt/rod or similar, that is the same diameter as the
BS fuse and you might get the idea. If an unthinking idiot can do it,
they probably will,

Again, not really comparative stats.

Again, what is the statistical evidence for this
: being a significant problem?
:

Why do you think the law was changed in the UK so that all (non
wholesale) domestic, free standing, electrical equipment has to now
come pre-fitted with a BS1363 plug and correct fuse?

Why do you thing that asking a question is a substitute for having the
relevant statistical data to compare the outcomes for different systems? If
the UK system "wasn't for consumer convenience" then your implication is
that is was for some other reason - e.g. safety. Hence arguing against your
earlier implication that shuttering hasn't any value.

I appreciate you have loads of opinions. But I was asking if you had any
reliable stats.

Slainte,

Jim

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

In article ,
says...

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message
In message , Geoffrey S. Mendelson
writes:
Eiron wrote:

Can I just mention another example of European Union lunacy?
Voltage is standardized at 230v +- a fudge factor so that the UK
can keep to 240v and the rest of Europe can keep 220v with no plans
for any country to adopt 230v. Now that is dumb!

No, it makes perfect sense. A long time ago England was 240 volts and
continental Europe was 220 volts, both 50Hz. I don't know when this
was standrdized up until WWII France used 120 volt 60Hz AC.

(Are you sure? I thought their TV standards - even the early ones - were
50Hz-related, which would not be a good idea if they really had 60Hz
mains.)

Indeed, French TV standards were all based on a 50Hz field rate. (the French
had a 441-line transmitter operating from the Eiffel Tower before the war,
famously taken over by the Germans and operated by them for the duration.
After the war they went one better than everybody else and adopted an
819-line standard. But colour transmissions (SECAM of course) were on
625-lines. The 819 line standard was finally abandoned in the 1980s ).

In the 1950s French mains, at least in some parts of the country, was still
at 110V or thereabouts, but at 50Hz. I'm not sure when they changed to 220V
but certainly by the 1980s French mains was standardised on 220V/50Hz.

In Italy, in 1964, a friend found that his electric razor wouldn't work,
so he switched it to 110V. Problem solved!

When he finished shaving, he complained his razor seemed to be getting
unusually hot. I looked up at the nearest light bulb and noted that it
said 130V!

--

Terry
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
: In article ,
: Arny Krueger wrote:
: All I know is that after returning to the US from a year's
stay in
: Germany, I was a little bit afraid every time I plugged
anything in,
: due to the ease with which one's fingers slide down the plug
and touch
: the contacts.
:
: That's impossible as the pins have insulation down most of
their length -
: only the end part makes contact. And in any case most UK socket
outlets
: have switches. Decent plugs have a skirt which would prevent
your fingers
: slipping towards the pins anyway - only cheap ones not.
:

Arny Krueger doesn't give a date for his experiences of UK
electrical installations, it *is* quite possible that he
experienced all he suggests, it has only been since the
late/early '80s that pins have been shrouded, like-wise plugs
having finger stops whilst un-switched sockets are actually very
common than Mr Plowman suggests, especially in 'to a price' built
housing, such as local authority, starter and MOD stock or were
the idea is to discourage disconnection of the appliances, such
as fridges, freezers or VCRs etc.

So far from being "impossible", even more so considering the
number of older and thus 'unprotected' plugs that must still be
in existence and use.
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

In article o.uk,
says...

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 23:59:34 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Indeed. Britain is somewhat different there anyway - the trans-channel
interconnectors are actually at DC

Correct.

[I've also been told that, despite the public being told it is
bidirectional because peak demand occurs at different times as we take
our main meals at different times, in practice it has never operated in
the supply-power-from-Britain-to-France direction, other than for test
purposes. Whether this is true I don't know.]

Un true. In late November when there was a great big high pressure
over europe and there for naff all wind both the continental
interconnects were maxed out exporting power during the day. We just
burnt a bit more coal to provide that power. Conversly the last few
days has seen us importing from the continent, cheap, french nuke
power...

Yes. A consequence of Merkel's knee-jerk reaction to the Japanese
tsunami by shutting down the nuclear plant and getting caught with her
knickers down when the lack of wind stopped all the windmills. I think
it was the first time that the UK had been a net exporter of
electricity.

Take a look he

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Look at the graph for November (bottom right).

I wonder how Germany will fare if we get a repeat performance but with
much lower temperatures all over Europe so that all other countries need
all of their energy to supply their own needs?

--

Terry
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 23:27:13 +0000 The Other Mike
wrote in Message id:
:

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 00:53:58 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Tobin) wrote:

If you were a serious audiophile, you would not allow mains
electricity within a mile of your listening room. You would run your
amplifier on lead-acid batteries and your turntable would be a uranium
flywheel.

Osmium would be a better choice for a turntable flywheel.

How about carving a flywheel from a black hole?
(Getting it rotating may be problematic, though...)

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"Jerry" wrote in message
:
snip
:
: Arny Krueger doesn't give a date for his experiences of UK
: electrical installations, it *is* quite possible that he
: experienced all he suggests, it has only been since the
: late/early '80s that pins have been shrouded, like-wise plugs

Oops, late '70s/early 80s...

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"brightside S9" wrote in message
: On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 02:41:21 +0000 (UTC), J G Miller

: wrote:
:
snip
:
: Scotland could be linked to Iceland!
:
: Getting ready for independance don't you know.
:

That figures, two economic basket cases...

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
David Looser David Looser is offline

"Jerry" wrote in message

"David Looser" wrote in message
: "Jerry" wrote
:
: Not very often, just as kids in areas that do not use the
UK's
: BS1363 plug/socket don't tend to poke things into other types
of
: sockets, why because they are *taught* not to whilst being
: supervised, of course that is to hard for average UK parents
: manage so the state has to hold their hands so to speak!
:
:
: And with that paragraph you have blown any credibility you
might have hoped
: to acquire!
:

Care to explain why you think that, or are you more interested in
gratuitous effect?
--

You have demonstrated to those who were not already aware of it that you
have precisely zero knowledge or experience of bringing up children, and

David.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

In article ,
says...

John Williamson wrote:

Eiron wrote:

And the UK plugs are rather large. That would be a valid criticism.
It spoils the lines of a laptop bag....

http://www.minkyu.co.uk/Site/Product...ug_System.html

Problem solved. HTH

I doubt that design will ever fly ...

I see the thinplug.com is now in the shops, actually, I wish it wasn't
retractable ...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/retrak...83932-pdt.html

A bit late in the day, perhaps, with so many laptops now using earthed
'clover leaf' connectors?

I must admit I much prefer the figure-of-eight connector. By the time
you take the much smaller cross section of the cable into consideration,
it makes the whole thing much more compact.

Also, I have an even more compact cable fitted with a 2-pin Euro plug
for continental excursions ...

--

Terry

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
recursor recursor is offline

On 01/03/2012 04:04 PM, Jim Lesurf wrote:

Almost anything "can" happen. But in reality how often does it?

Every time?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

In article ,
says...

Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...
Eiron wrote:
On 03/01/2012 11:15, John Williamson wrote:
Eiron wrote:
And the UK plugs are rather large. That would be a valid criticism.
It spoils the lines of a laptop bag....

http://www.minkyu.co.uk/Site/Product...ug_System.html

Problem solved. HTH
Still not in production?
Does it have a tendency to break and burst into flames?
Designed by a "designer" rather than by an engineer?

Or this:-

http://www.slimplug.com/where.htm

404 Not Found

Have you got any more out of date links that you'd like us to test for
you ...?

Go to:-
http://www.slimplug.com/

And you can navigate to it from there, but the direct link fails. Odd...

Funny that it has a metal earth pin but is only available with a figure-
of-eight connector/cable - see my comments about this up-thread.

I note that a cloverleaf adaptor is mentioned on the site but no details
are available, including how to buy it!

Can a 2-pin to 3-pin adaptor be legal?

On the other hand, why have laptop manufacturers started supplying their
fully isolated PSUs with 3-pin connectors?

Incidentally, since the move from 2 to 3-pin laptop PSUs, has anybody
else noticed that the pound shops seem to be awash with figure-of-eight
mains leads these days ...?

--

Terry
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
David Looser David Looser is offline

"Jerry" wrote

Arny Krueger doesn't give a date for his experiences of UK
electrical installations

Neither Dave P nor you noticed that Arny's post said "All I know is that
after returning to the *US* from a year's stay in Germany".
(My emphasis).

David.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"David Looser" wrote in message
: "Jerry" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "David Looser" wrote in message
: ...
: : "Jerry" wrote
: :
[...]

Who says, you? Well yes I don't have any experience of bringing
up YOUR kids!

As I said, you seem more interested in gratuitous effect that
reasoned debate,I must have hit a raw nerve with your own
parenting skills Mr Looser...

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
David Looser David Looser is offline

Default Why does discussion always tend towards power plugs?

"Jerry" wrote in message

"David Looser" wrote in message

snip
: I was singularly unimpressed with Italian mains safety. The 10A
plug has 3
: thin pins with no support for the plug other than that provided
by the pins,
: so the plugs tend to hang half-out of the socket due to the
weight of the
: flex. No shutters, no plug-top fuses and in the (modern)
installation I saw
: large numbers of sockets were all wired to a single fuse or
circuit breaker
: of significantly higher rating that of the plug & socket.
:

But how is that any different to some idiot in the UK bridging
out the fuse in a BS1363 plug and then using 3A cable to string a
large number of trailing sockets together, a prospect that has
increased since the introduction of "Part P" in the UK
(especially in hazardous areas such as wet areas and kitchens).

Well now, for starters there is poor retention in the socket for the Italian
plug, something for which the BS1363 design is particularly good. Also the
Italian plug is reversable, so its live/neutral polarity is a matter of
luck. Then the pins of the Italian plug are not sleeved, whilst all new
BS1363 plugs have been for for many years now.

I don't follow your logic that a safety device becomes a bad thing just
because some idiot somewhere will go out of his way to defeat it. The
overwhelming majority of BS1363 plugs are fused no higher than 13A, I don't
accept that the improved safety of the sensible majority is somehow
cancelled out by the actions of the occasional idiot.

As for your allegation that the introduction of Part P results in an
increase in the incidence of strings of trailing sockets wired with 3A cable
in hazardous areas, this seems to be another example of your notion that
safety rules are a bad thing because some idiot somewhere will ignore them.

Perhaps you might care to place your comments about Italian
electrical safety into some perspective, if it really is as
dangerous as you claim, would you like to cite a reference for
the number of electrical fires caused by such instillation
practises?

I said that I was unimpressed with Italian electrical safety, which is true.
I made no claims about statistics. What I do know is that an Italian
installation would fail a UK electrical safety check.

Only the ill-informed or idiots (those without common sense) make
something unsafe.

A comment that seems at odds with your repeated assertions that BS1363 plugs
are unsafe because some idiot somewhere might link-out the fuse!

As long as the rating of the socket or
conductor is not exceeded then there is no problem surely. I note
that you failed to specify the cross sectional dimension of
conductor used in these Italian instillations...
--

I did indeed "fail to specify" that, because I don't know what it was. But I
do know what conductor sizes were used on the flexes connected to those

David.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"David Looser" wrote in message
: "Jerry" wrote
:
: Arny Krueger doesn't give a date for his experiences of UK
: electrical installations
:
: Neither Dave P nor you noticed that Arny's post said "All I
know is that
: after returning to the *US* from a year's stay in Germany".
: (My emphasis).
:

Actually re-reading Arny's original comment (and the context),
it's about as clear as mud as to which electrical system he was
referring to! Besides I was replying to Mr Plowman's comments
(and inaccuracies) about the UK so there, so less of the "you"
please. :~P

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Jerry wrote:
So far from being "impossible", even more so considering the
number of older and thus 'unprotected' plugs that must still be
in existence and use.

Yes pet. I forgot you live in a hovel.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
David Looser David Looser is offline

"Jerry" wrote
:

Who says, you? Well yes I don't have any experience of bringing
up YOUR kids!

As I said, you seem more interested in gratuitous effect that
reasoned debate,I must have hit a raw nerve with your own
parenting skills Mr Looser...

You really are a contemptible piece of work aren't you Jerry? Even if I
wasn't already aware of your ignorance about children from coming across you
in other forums, your earlier statement would be enough to tell me that you
have no knowledge of the subject. For your information, Jerry, its very
small children, those too young to understand the concept of danger or to be
taught not to poke things into sockets, yet who are intensely curious and
mobile who are in danger from unshuttered sockets.

David.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
David Looser wrote:
Arny Krueger doesn't give a date for his experiences of UK
electrical installations

Neither Dave P nor you noticed that Arny's post said "All I know is that
after returning to the *US* from a year's stay in Germany".
(My emphasis).

That'll teach me to post after midnight. ;-) Sorry to Arny.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"David Looser" wrote in message
: "Jerry" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

On the slip side, the BS 1363 design can be very difficult to
insert/remove, the force needed can be quite high (especially for
the elderly or those with muscular problems), thus a risk of the
terminals making poor contact, also because (as you say) there is
less risk of a BS1363 plug being pulled out accidentally two
other risks are present, should the lead become stranded the lead
is damaged/parts company with the internal connections in either
plug or appliance and more importantly should electrocution occur
it is a dammed sight harder to purposely pull the appliance lead
out of the socket from a distance.

Also the
: Italian plug is reversable, so its live/neutral polarity is a
matter of
: luck.

Not relevant on anything that doesn't have a single pole switch,
and surely a BS1363 plug with a figure 8 style lead is as bad,
more so because the user might be unaware of the risk of pole
reversibility? Even then, nothing to stop someone reversing the
polarity in the plug due to transposing the +/- cables. Or, and
quite possible since the EU wide harmonisation of wiring colours,
transposing the conductors at the socket.

Then the pins of the Italian plug are not sleeved, whilst all new
: BS1363 plugs have been for for many years now.

Funny that, I have such an older un-sleeved plug sitting on my
desk ATM, as I said elsewhere, there must be many millions of
such plugs still in existence and otherwise serviceable... It's
only been comparatively recently that people have been discarding
appliances still with the plug attached, the most common reason
being that it has a moulded on plug, but then these dire
contraptions have caused their own safety problems to those who
have been lulled into this fails sense of electrical safety.

:
: I don't follow your logic that a safety device becomes a bad
thing just
: because some idiot somewhere will go out of his way to defeat
it. The
: overwhelming majority of BS1363 plugs are fused no higher than
13A, I don't
: accept that the improved safety of the sensible majority is
somehow
: cancelled out by the actions of the occasional idiot.

If an idiot can defeat the safety device that has been place
there so that idiots are safer then the safety measure has by
definition failed! But heck, if you're right then, judging by the
majority of countries (even just within the EU), the UK has been
totally OTT with its own electrical safety. You have made my
point for me!...

:
: As for your allegation that the introduction of Part P results
in an
: increase in the incidence of strings of trailing sockets wired
with 3A cable
: in hazardous areas, this seems to be another example of your
notion that
: safety rules are a bad thing because some idiot somewhere will
ignore them.

Actually I had not given Part P much thought before it was
imminent and could see the intent behind it, only then, whilst in
conversation with a couple of registered electricians (thus would
get Part P registration) that Part P came up and *they* expressed
doubts over the regs effects and the likely hood of the scenario
was put to me - OK so 3A flex might be unlikely but still
possible. Also IIRC the same sorts of doubts,about Part P's
actual effect on hazardous area safety, were expressed on the
uk.d-i-y group.

:
: Perhaps you might care to place your comments about Italian
: electrical safety into some perspective, if it really is as
: dangerous as you claim, would you like to cite a reference
for
: the number of electrical fires caused by such instillation
: practises?
:
: I said that I was unimpressed with Italian electrical safety,
which is true.
: I made no claims about statistics. What I do know is that an
Italian
: installation would fail a UK electrical safety check.

Well yes, to the point of being bleedingly obvious, and a UK
installation would fail a Italian or USA electrical safety check,
different strokes for different folks and all that!

:
: Only the ill-informed or idiots (those without common sense)
make
: something unsafe.
:
: A comment that seems at odds with your repeated assertions that
BS1363 plugs
: are unsafe because some idiot somewhere might link-out the
fuse!

I'm saying *anything* can and will be unsafe if miss used,
attempting to make something 'idiot proof' (which the vast
majority of the UK's domestic electrical regulation, such as
BS1363, attempts to do), does is induce complacency amongst those
most at risk.

:
: As long as the rating of the socket or
: conductor is not exceeded then there is no problem surely. I
note
: that you failed to specify the cross sectional dimension of
: conductor used in these Italian instillations...
: --
:
: I did indeed "fail to specify" that, because I don't know what
it was.

So it could have actually been as great or greater than the
underlaying instalation, thus your pouint was what, exactly?

But I
: do know what conductor sizes were used on the flexes connected
to those
: plugs which was frequently 0.5 sqmm. Not adequate, I think, to
handle up to
: 25A of fault current from a defective appliance. In the UK a
flex of that
: cross-section *should* be connected via a plug fused at 3A or
less. OK, I
: accept that many are actually fused at 13A (though less so now
that new
: appliances must have factory-fitted plugs) but I think that a
less than
: perfect safety system is better than no system at all.
:

So, given an identical appliance with a 0.5 sqmm flex/lead/power
cord -call it what you like- lets get what you're saying
straight; so there *is a problem in Italy * because it is
protected by a 25A MCB, but there /is no problem in the UK/ even
though (without any idiots intervention, as set out by myself
above) if a fault occoured it would be protected by a 30A MCB due
to the vagaries of slow-blow BS1362 fuses? Yeah, that's
logical...
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

In article ,
LID says...

Arny Krueger doesn't give a date for his experiences of UK
electrical installations, it *is* quite possible that he
experienced all he suggests, it has only been since the
late/early '80s that pins have been shrouded, like-wise plugs
having finger stops whilst un-switched sockets are actually very
common than Mr Plowman suggests, especially in 'to a price' built
housing, such as local authority, starter and MOD stock or were
the idea is to discourage disconnection of the appliances, such
as fridges, freezers or VCRs etc.

My personal preference is for unswitched sockets but I'm obviously in a
minority as, when I wanted some 13A twin outlets last year, ass of the
unswitched one were (considerably) more expensive than the switched
variety. This seems to suggest that 'built to a price' installations
include switches ...

So far from being "impossible", even more so considering the
number of older and thus 'unprotected' plugs that must still be
in existence and use.

I wonder how many are still in use, though? I do have quite a stock of
plugs with unsleeved pins that have been recovered from old equipment (I
also have a 'new' (well, they were when I got them many moons ago) stock
of the sleeved variety.

As all new stuff comes with sleeved plugs pre-fitted, how often does the
average user fit a 13A plug these days?

Without checking every appliance to be sure, I can't think of a single
item in this house that might have an unsleeved plug ...

--

Terry
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
My personal preference is for unswitched sockets but I'm obviously in a
minority as, when I wanted some 13A twin outlets last year, ass of the
unswitched one were (considerably) more expensive than the switched
variety. This seems to suggest that 'built to a price' installations
include switches ...

Yes. The supplier I use doesn't even list unswitched 13 amp in their
budget ranges. But I was never a fan of them anyway. I've not known a
switch on a socket to fail, so I'd guess it's pretty rare.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

Arny Krueger wrote:
All I know is that after returning to the US from a year's stay in
Germany, I was a little bit afraid every time I plugged anything in,
due to the ease with which one's fingers slide down the plug and touch
the contacts.

That's impossible as the pins have insulation down most of their length -
only the end part makes contact.

I know the German plugs were made that way It is good to know that the UK
plugs are made in a similar way.

We still have all-brass pins here in the US.

And in any case most UK socket outlets
have switches. Decent plugs have a skirt which would prevent your fingers
slipping towards the pins anyway - only cheap ones not.

This is what I am talking about:

http://powercord-supplier.en.hisuppl...g-7A-125V.html

"Japan AC power cable with pse approval/Rating:7A 125V"

Only the ca.-1960 USA version lacked the upper part of the molded grip and
the strain relief.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

"David Looser" wrote in message
"Jerry" wrote

Arny Krueger doesn't give a date for his experiences of UK
electrical installations

Neither Dave P nor you noticed that Arny's post said "All I know is that
after returning to the *US* from a year's stay in Germany".
(My emphasis).

I'm glad someone was reading! ;-)

I have negligible experience with UK electrical appliances. I spent maybe 3
days in the UK back in the late 1980s, and that was that. Seems like a
pleasant enough place.

I spent a year in Germany in the late 1960s as a guest of Uncle Sam.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 11:03:30 -0000, Terry Casey wrote:

I wonder how Germany will fare if we get a repeat performance but with
much lower temperatures all over Europe so that all other countries need
all of their energy to supply their own needs?

Quite, there does seem to be a great reliance on the "market
supplying" both for power and food. Don't worry if we need more X we
can buy it from the market. That's fine provided the market has any X
to sell... Power and food are finite but "the market" doesn't take
those physical limits into consideration.

As for Mrs Merkel with her knickers down shudder.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 20:29:30 +0000, Scott wrote:

But no fuse. I like the idea of putting the fuse in the plug so if
one appliance fails you don't 'fuse' the whole circuit (though with
RCDs I'm not sure that still applies).

Remember that ring mains are UK thing. The european way is for
radials so "fusing the whole circuit" doesn't have quite the same
effect. Also the fuse is to protect the wiring or appliance cable not
the appliance itself.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] grimly4@gmail.com is offline

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 10:29:53 -0000, "Jerry"
wrote:

But how is that any different to some idiot in the UK bridging
out the fuse in a BS1363 plug and then using 3A cable to string a
large number of trailing sockets together, a prospect that has
increased since the introduction of "Part P" in the UK
(especially in hazardous areas such as wet areas and kitchens).

**** off, Jerry.
Go and play with the buses.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"David Looser" wrote in message
: "Jerry" wrote
: :
:
: Who says, you? Well yes I don't have any experience of
bringing
: up YOUR kids!
:
: As I said, you seem more interested in gratuitous effect that
: reasoned debate,I must have hit a raw nerve with your own
: parenting skills Mr Looser...
:
:
: You really are a contemptible piece of work aren't you Jerry?

Oh so Mr Looser likes to dish the insults but doesn't like them
dished in return...

Even if I
: wasn't already aware of your ignorance about children from
coming across you
: in other forums, your earlier statement would be enough to tell
me that you
: have no knowledge of the subject. For your information, Jerry,
its very

You know only what you *think* you know about me, just as I do of
you.

: small children, those too young to understand the concept of
danger or to be
: taught not to poke things into sockets, yet who are intensely
curious and
: mobile who are in danger from unshuttered sockets.
:

That is were parental supervision comes in surely, and unlike you
(obviously) I do have knowledge as to how southern European
families raise their kids compared to those in the UK,
un-shuttered power sockets and all. The way you talk down the
safety of such sockets anyone would think that most of the world
was in danger of dying out due to infant and child mortality rate
due to electrocution...

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Lesurf[_2_] Jim Lesurf[_2_] is offline

In article , Terry
Casey wrote:

I remember a major upgrade taking place in West Ham to upgrade the
distribution network from 215V AC to the standard 240V while I was at
school there in the late 50s.

That is interesting for me as I lived in Stratford at the time and I do
recall some kind of change being made to the electrical power. But it was
so long ago that I'd forgotten the details.

Slainte,

Jim

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

: Jerry wrote:
: So far from being "impossible", even more so considering the
: number of older and thus 'unprotected' plugs that must still
be
: in existence and use.
:
: Yes pet. I forgot you live in a hovel.
:

Whilst you are a left-wing "Toff", and wrong, so no surprise that
you chose to resort to insults rather than debate the facts...

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"Terry Casey" wrote in message

snip
: My personal preference is for unswitched sockets but I'm
obviously in a
: minority as, when I wanted some 13A twin outlets last year, ass
of the
: unswitched one were (considerably) more expensive than the
switched
: variety. This seems to suggest that 'built to a price'
installations
: include switches ...
:

Depends on who is buying and from where, I doubt you were wanting
to buy a few thousand direct from MK or who ever, IYSWIM.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Java Jive Java Jive is offline

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 12:09:53 -0000, "David Looser"
wrote:

I don't follow your logic that a safety device becomes a bad thing just
because some idiot somewhere will go out of his way to defeat it. The
overwhelming majority of BS1363 plugs are fused no higher than 13A, I don't
accept that the improved safety of the sensible majority is somehow
cancelled out by the actions of the occasional idiot.

Exactly. You can cater for a fool, but there is nothing you can do
about a damned fool.

I did indeed "fail to specify" that, because I don't know what it was. But I
do know what conductor sizes were used on the flexes connected to those
plugs which was frequently 0.5 sqmm. Not adequate, I think, to handle up to
25A of fault current from a defective appliance. In the UK a flex of that
cross-section *should* be connected via a plug fused at 3A or less. OK, I
accept that many are actually fused at 13A (though less so now that new
appliances must have factory-fitted plugs) but I think that a less than
perfect safety system is better than no system at all.

Yes, entirely agreed.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_] Woody[_5_] is offline

Two points:

Part P was brought in supposedly to stop people doing dangerous
domestic rewiring causing death. The most recent records
available before Part P came in (2007 and 2005 IMSMC) showed that
in that year four people had died and twenty had received
significant electric shocks as a result of unsafe domestice
wiring alterations. If ever there was an instance of jobs for the
boys this must be it.

The other issue is that continental electricians don't seem to
have any concept of live and neutral. BS4343 outlets are very
clearly marked L and N on both plug or socket but my experience
(caravanning, mainly in France) is that more are reverse wired
than correctly wired. Perhaps it is because (from what I have
seen) most Euro MCB's are dual pole and will break both both
conductors under fault conditions (remember most Euro wiring is
radial) so polarity at the point of delivery is largely academic.
I purchased a 10A two-pole MCB (LeGrand) for my caravan in a
French DIY shed for less than a 6A single pole from a UK
wholesaler. Is there any wonder we have to take more steps in our
protection chain than they do?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

,
: Terry Casey wrote:
: My personal preference is for unswitched sockets but I'm
obviously in a
: minority as, when I wanted some 13A twin outlets last year,
ass of the
: unswitched one were (considerably) more expensive than the
switched
: variety. This seems to suggest that 'built to a price'
installations
: include switches ...
:
: Yes. The supplier I use doesn't even list unswitched 13 amp in
their
: budget ranges. But I was never a fan of them anyway. I've not
known a
: switch on a socket to fail, so I'd guess it's pretty rare.
:

Nothing to do with a switch failing, it's either bulk order price
or a wish to prevent accidental disconnection - for example, a
freezer. I detest so called skilled electricians installing
switched outlets in the backs of cupboards for such appliances,
if they must bodge then at least fit a an unswitched outlet.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
: "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
: ...
:
snip
:
: That's impossible as the pins have insulation down most of
their length -
: only the end part makes contact.
:
: I know the German plugs were made that way It is good to know
that the UK
: plugs are made in a similar way.
:
: We still have all-brass pins here in the US.

Any idea what the figures, due to such plug/sockets, are for
shock or electrocution in the USA?

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
: In article , Jerry
: wrote:
:
: "Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
: ...
: : In article , Jerry
: : wrote:
:
: [Snip]
:
: :
: : Almost anything "can" happen. But in reality how often does
it?
:
:
: Not very often, just as kids in areas that do not use the
UK's BS1363
: plug/socket don't tend to poke things into other types of
sockets,
:
: So no stats on either.
:

Indeed, just like everyone else...

:
[...]

The problem was the number of *incorrectly wired* plugs being
used, even by people who either should have known better or who
should have been trained, nothing what so ever to do with the
shuttering on the sockets.

:
: I appreciate you have loads of opinions. But I was asking if
you had any
: reliable stats.
:

Much like you and everyone else then, so please, no more of your
sycophantic bull**** then, unless you care to quote and cite some
hard facts...

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

wrote in message

snip
:
: **** off, Jerry.
: Go and play with the buses.

Just back from school Grimly, does your mummy know that you are
playing with daddies computer...

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Jerry wrote:
Nothing to do with a switch failing, it's either bulk order price
or a wish to prevent accidental disconnection - for example, a
freezer. I detest so called skilled electricians installing
switched outlets in the backs of cupboards for such appliances,
if they must bodge then at least fit a an unswitched outlet.

If the switch doesn't fail why does it matter if an inaccessible one is
switched or non switched?

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

: Jerry wrote:
: Nothing to do with a switch failing, it's either bulk order
price
: or a wish to prevent accidental disconnection - for example,
: freezer. I detest so called skilled electricians installing
: switched outlets in the backs of cupboards for such
appliances,
: if they must bodge then at least fit a an unswitched outlet.
:
: If the switch doesn't fail why does it matter if an
inaccessible one is
: switched or non switched?
:

Because it can get accidentally switched off due to stuff being
moved or pushed to the back of the cupboard!