Posted to rec.audio.tech
John Hanley John Hanley is offline

Default Low Volume Old vs. New Speakers

My five-year-old computer is an HP Pavilion 760n running XP which came with
a set of Polk Audio N279 speakers that play fine when plugged in to the old
computer. My new computer is an HP Pavilion d4890y running Vista and the
speakers are built in to the HP w2207 monitor. The new monitor/speakers
play fine, but a bit 'tinny'. I want to hook up the old Polk Audio speakers
to the new computer, but when I do, the speaker volume is barely audible
even at maximum volume. Any thoughts on what may cause this large
difference in sound level? The old Polk Audio speakers are not separately
powered. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:02:50 GMT, "John Hanley"
wrote:

My five-year-old computer is an HP Pavilion 760n running XP which came with
a set of Polk Audio N279 speakers that play fine when plugged in to the old
computer. My new computer is an HP Pavilion d4890y running Vista and the
speakers are built in to the HP w2207 monitor. The new monitor/speakers
play fine, but a bit 'tinny'. I want to hook up the old Polk Audio speakers
to the new computer, but when I do, the speaker volume is barely audible
even at maximum volume. Any thoughts on what may cause this large
difference in sound level? The old Polk Audio speakers are not separately
powered. Thanks.

The sound card in your old computer had a power amp in it - the new
one doesn't. So you have a choice - swap in the sound card from your
old PC - probably not a great idea. Or you can get a set of powered
speakers; they are pretty cheap. Or finally you can find and old
amplifier somewhere to feed the Polk speakers from the new PC.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Hanley wrote:

My five-year-old computer is an HP Pavilion 760n running XP which came with
a set of Polk Audio N279 speakers that play fine when plugged in to the old
computer. My new computer is an HP Pavilion d4890y running Vista and the
speakers are built in to the HP w2207 monitor. The new monitor/speakers
play fine, but a bit 'tinny'. I want to hook up the old Polk Audio speakers
to the new computer, but when I do, the speaker volume is barely audible
even at maximum volume. Any thoughts on what may cause this large
difference in sound level? The old Polk Audio speakers are not separately
powered. Thanks.

Speakers have very different sensitivities in terms of the number of decibels
they produce for one watt of input power. Offhand I can think of some as low as
80dB and as high as 101dB.

Very accurate speakers are often rather lower in sensitivity than those simply
designed to make a noise.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

"John Hanley" wrote:

My five-year-old computer is an HP Pavilion 760n running XP which came with
a set of Polk Audio N279 speakers that play fine when plugged in to the old
computer. My new computer is an HP Pavilion d4890y running Vista and the
speakers are built in to the HP w2207 monitor. The new monitor/speakers
play fine, but a bit 'tinny'. I want to hook up the old Polk Audio speakers
to the new computer, but when I do, the speaker volume is barely audible
even at maximum volume. Any thoughts on what may cause this large
difference in sound level? The old Polk Audio speakers are not separately
powered. Thanks.

The sound card in your old computer had a power amp in it - the new
one doesn't.

LOL.

I missed that. I suppose he's got the speakers hooked up to the line out.

To the OP. An output designed to drive speakers should be appropriately marked.
Are you familiar with the differences between a speaker level output and a line
level output ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Eeyore ) writes:
Don Pearce wrote:

"John Hanley" wrote:

[...]

I thought it was that a speaker level output was increasingly missing
from soundcards.

IN the early days, it was normal to have an actual amplifier, albeit fairly
low power, on a soundcard, because who knew what speakers you'd be
using with the soundcard. Then as the field grew, it became pretty common
to find "computer speakers" that had amplifiers in them (not necessarily
more powerful than what had been on the soundcard), and hence the "power
amplifiers" went away, since there was no need for them. (Or maybe it's
the reverse, output amplifiers disappeared from soundcards, causing
the rise of amplified speakers.)

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Michael Black wrote:

Eeyore ) writes:
Don Pearce wrote:
"John Hanley" wrote:

[...]

Amplified speakers are probably more popular (and versatile) anyway.

Another reason for disappearing speaker outs is multi-channel sound.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Michael Black wrote:

Eeyore ) writes:
Don Pearce wrote:
"John Hanley" wrote:

[...]

Thank you gentlemen, you were very helpful. After reading your replies, I
went to my local electronics store and have bought a set of powered speakers
which are working very nicely and much better than what I had. Always
learning....