Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Default The future

In the near future DSP driven PWM amps will take over the vast majority
of the audio world, All that is left of old time audio will be
rec.audio.tubes and rec.audio.sandstate. The radio guys will have
passed on.
these groups will be populated by cranky old audio buffs praising the
merits of old heavy heat-producing ineffecient discreet component audio
equipment. Wild ranting threads will permeate these groups, with
subjects like which mica spacer sounds best with transistors, the best
tubes, resistors, capacitors, etc.

Most of the audio world will wonder what the hell they are talking
about, as they listen to their small sleek class-d amps, playing musac
through terribly ineffecient speakers. Everything will be bland.
They will drink a lot of kool-aid.

Well, we're halfway there already.

Bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Bob H." wrote:

In the near future DSP driven PWM amps will take over the vast majority
of the audio world

Not very likely.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Bob H." wrote:

Wild ranting threads will permeate these groups, with
subjects like which mica spacer sounds best with transistors

Goog Lord ! I hope not. The best spacer is no spacer btw.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Eeyore wrote:
"Bob H." wrote:

Wild ranting threads will permeate these groups, with
subjects like which mica spacer sounds best with transistors

Goog Lord ! I hope not. The best spacer is no spacer btw.

Graham

Hi RATs!

The future will be just fine. Eyesore may roar, but, he can't live
forever

Happty Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Bob H." wrote:

In the near future DSP driven PWM amps will take over the vast majority
of the audio world, All that is left of old time audio will be
rec.audio.tubes and rec.audio.sandstate. The radio guys will have
passed on.
these groups will be populated by cranky old audio buffs praising the
merits of old heavy heat-producing ineffecient discreet component audio
equipment. Wild ranting threads will permeate these groups, with
subjects like which mica spacer sounds best with transistors, the best
tubes, resistors, capacitors, etc.

Most of the audio world will wonder what the hell they are talking
about, as they listen to their small sleek class-d amps, playing musac
through terribly ineffecient speakers. Everything will be bland.
They will drink a lot of kool-aid.

Well, we're halfway there already.

Bob H.

Who give a rats about PWM?
We all can say the drift to PWM with its improvements
will make all existing SS amps operating in any class
from C to AB to A seem like obsolete junk.

Tubes will of course remain, and a few folks
will regard them as being superior, and that will be that
as that has been that for about 48 years since the first commercially
viable
germanium based power amps was launched at an unsuspecting large
victim, Joe Public.

PWM only makes amps cheaper to make, makes
music cause less greenhouse gas, but musical quality won't change
between being ****ful to superlative, depending on many variables
involved.

People thought the world would cave in with electricity
but who wants to live without the ease of such cheap telegrams
as we know to be in the form of our emails via PC.

Last time I heard music through a pair of 100 watt pint sized PWM amps
by CI-Audio, using my own reference speakers, I quickly came to realise
the sound was no worse than solid state AB ampery.

Tubes seem better though...shhhh, don't let ppl know....

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Bob H." wrote:

Wild ranting threads will permeate these groups, with
subjects like which mica spacer sounds best with transistors

Goog Lord ! I hope not. The best spacer is no spacer btw.

Graham

Hi RATs!

The future will be just fine. Eyesore may roar, but, he can't live
forever

Happty Ears!
Al

In 1890, when the phongraph was invented, some rich and influential guy
said
"Damn, and now they want to record this rubbish so
anyone's inabilities will be preserved forever!"

So now we have Hevay Martel being preserved forever,
and 'Lerve Songs' by Wailin' Tomcat and his mate, Cracker Uparse
played so often we cannot escape it.
And you said spam was a problem; man, there have been worse things!
And for so long!

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell Ian Bell is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

PWM only makes amps cheaper to make, makes
music cause less greenhouse gas, but musical quality won't change
between being ****ful to superlative, depending on many variables
involved.

Doesn't matter because they will only be playing mp3 files anyway ;-)

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Bob H." wrote in message
ups.com

In the near future DSP driven PWM amps will take over the
vast majority of the audio world,

Amps and crossovers integrated into speaker packages makes a lot of sense.
PWM amps will eventually have the best price/performance.

All that is left of
old time audio will be rec.audio.tubes and
rec.audio.sandstate.

Mythical newsgroup, anybody?

The radio guys will have passed on.
these groups will be populated by cranky old audio buffs
praising the merits of old heavy heat-producing
ineffecient discreet component audio equipment. Wild
ranting threads will permeate these groups, with subjects
like which mica spacer sounds best with transistors, the
best tubes, resistors, capacitors, etc.

IOW, nothing changed.

Most of the audio world will wonder what the hell they
are talking about, as they listen to their small sleek
class-d amps, playing musac through terribly ineffecient
speakers.

Yet another fuddy-duddy who thinks that if it isn't *his* music, its not
really music.

BTW, those aren't terribly inefficient speakers, they are small speakers
with wonderful bandwidth and dynamic range.

Everything will be bland.

Never seems to happen. Cars have been under heavy development for over 100
years, and while some things have converged, they are also more different
from each other than ever.

They will drink a lot of kool-aid.

More likely: Organically-grown natural juices, fresh and fermented.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] shoppa@trailing-edge.com is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
Everything will be bland.

Never seems to happen. Cars have been under heavy development for over 100
years, and while some things have converged, they are also more different
from each other than ever.

That's not true at all! I can't buy a new car anymore with suicide
doors, a single headlight that points in the direction the steering
wheel is pointed, with PRNDL buttons on the steering wheel to control
the transmission, and so on! And what's up with two speed automatic
transmissions, they aren't an option on any car anymore!

Never mind the complete unavailability of new Studebaker Commander
Convertibles!

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
ups.com
Arny Krueger wrote:
Everything will be bland.

Never seems to happen. Cars have been under heavy
development for over 100 years, and while some things
have converged, they are also more different from each
other than ever.

That's not true at all! I can't buy a new car anymore
with suicide doors,

You over-constrained the question by putting in specific qualifiers.

a single headlight that points in the
direction the steering wheel is pointed,

Who cares?

with PRNDL buttons on the steering wheel to control the
transmission,

Who cares?

and so on! And what's up with two speed
automatic transmissions, they aren't an option on any car
anymore!

OK, so some stupid ideas went into remission, and other ideas take a talk
with a customizer. If you want it, you can have it.

I made a different point - not one about esoteric features, but one about
the general diversity of cars.

Never mind the complete unavailability of new Studebaker
Commander Convertibles!

LOL!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Bell wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

PWM only makes amps cheaper to make, makes
music cause less greenhouse gas, but musical quality won't change
between being ****ful to superlative, depending on many variables
involved.

Doesn't matter because they will only be playing mp3 files anyway ;-)

Ian

Maybe two wrongs make a right....

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

Amps and crossovers integrated into speaker packages makes a lot of sense.

Apart from needing an ac power connection as well !

Graham