Posted to rec.audio.car
Nick Vital

Default 2 ohm SVC sub?

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a SVC 2 ohm sub? I've been
looking but haven't seen any. can you list brands who make them (if they are
made that is) in a 12"? just wondering since they make DVC subs that are 2
ohms for each coil that it would be logical that they make a SVC 2 ohm sub.
looking for a sub that will handle a recommended RMS of 350-400 watts.
thanks!

-Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Why not get a dual 4 ohm and wire it in parallel. That will give you 2 ohm
total. A good one to go with if you are looking to keep a decent budget
would be an Alpine SWR-1242D 12" Dual 4 ohm 500w rms ($139 shipped). Also
the SWS-1242D 12" dual 4 ohm 300w rms ($115 shipped). Pioneer makes several
in that range listed, TS-W126DVC 500w rms ($82 shipped), TS-W306DVC 400w rms
($86 shipped). All of the prices I listed are from ebay, and that is where
I will always buy my speakers. They dont come with manufacturers warranty,
but if you are not stupid with the gains on your amp, you will never blow
one. Just my thoughs. That is not the only ones listed on ebay with those
specs, but those are the main few I would look at if I were you.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"Nick Vital" wrote in message
I was wondering if there is such a thing as a SVC 2 ohm sub? I've been
looking but haven't seen any. can you list brands who make them (if they

are
made that is) in a 12"? just wondering since they make DVC subs that are 2
ohms for each coil that it would be logical that they make a SVC 2 ohm

sub.
looking for a sub that will handle a recommended RMS of 350-400 watts.
thanks!

-Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
Nick Vital

"Austin Becker" wrote in message
[...]

well I just figured it would be pretty easy to set up a single 2 ohm coil as
opposed to a 2 ohm. I see that JBL is oen of the only ones that makes a 2
ohm SVC sub. what are the advantages of having 2 voice coils over 1 voice
coil?. does it matter that I have a class D mono amp? sorry never wired a
dual voice coil before thas why I figured I'd just go with a single

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Well I dont really know of any advantages anymore. No, it does not matter
that you have a class D amp, that is good I think. They don't dissipate as
much heat as any other common amps. wiring up a dual voice coil sub is very
easy to do. Here is a link to Rockford Fosgates website that shows how to
wire different configurations, and it shows what impedance you will be
running for each combination. You just put in how many woofers you have,
and their voice coil configuration, and it will tell you your available
options and show you how to wire it.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp Anyhow, about the
dual voice coil over single voice coil advantages... here is a website that
talks a little bit about it...
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS...int=1&page=all
I hope this was helpful.

P.S. Do not be intimidated by speaer wiring, as it is the most basic form of
wiring. Network wiring, and aircraft wiring (this is what I do for a
living) is much more difficult.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dr Nick

[...]

after reading your post I did some reading on DVC and it seems pretty simple
to wire it parallel. wiring my pioneer Class D mono amp to a 2 ohm load
should put me about 360 watts. I'm looking for a good SQ sub. (I listen to
just about everything if tht helps, I'd probably say more rock than rap, but
I have pretty varied tastes). Just want something clean that will fit in my
existing box (I wanna say the box is somewhere around 1.50 cubic feet, but
not entirely sure, the diminstions are 14" H x 19" W x 19 deep (bottom) x
14" deep (top) (it's a sealed, angled box) how do I calculate that (I tried
to find a calculator on-line but it dind't have any for an angled box, only
square ones) thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

assuming your box is using 3/4 mdf, then you would be sitting right at 1.9
cubic feet. there's a program (crappy) that has a calculator in it called
blaubox. it can tell you what your volume is. anyhow, most subs in a
sealed enclosure do not really reccoment much more than 1.5 for low end
subs. You could use your box, but it may not be the best for which sub you
get.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"Dr Nick" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dr Nick

assuming your box is using 3/4 mdf, then you would be sitting right at 1.9
cubic feet. there's a program (crappy) that has a calculator in it called
blaubox. it can tell you what your volume is. anyhow, most subs in a
sealed enclosure do not really reccoment much more than 1.5 for low end
subs. You could use your box, but it may not be the best for which sub
you
get.

thanks, now when they say the size of enclosure, is that taking into account
the displacement of the subwoofer? I remember when I bought this sub, i
bought a box made for the size of it (which I believe was 1.0 to 1.75 CU
ft.) 1.9 seems high, but who knows, mabye it is that big. thanks for all the
help!

-Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

No, that does not take into account the displacement of the subwoofer.
Subwoofers typically have a very small displacement. Here's a link to a
"subwoofer primer" that talks a bit about it. There is a table in the
middle that looks like this.

8 inch .03 ft3
10 inch .05 ft3
12 inch .07 ft3
15 inch .10 ft3

That is a rough overview of what average subs displace. Unless of course
you are using competition subs with large frames and massive magnets.
Otherwise, it should be no worry.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"Dr Nick" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Sorry, I forgot the link...

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
--
- AUSTIN BECKER

"Dr Nick" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dr Nick

Sorry, I forgot the link...

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

thanks for the link it's saying my box is 1.646 Cu ft. or 1.476 ct ft (not
sure if it's 3/4" or 1" thick) (using the triangular box calc) so givin
this info. can you recommend some subs in my power range (about 360 watts at
2 ohms) from ones I've heard I like JL audio's (I think my friend had W6's
but not sure) but I think those are more of an SPL woofer than SQ, correct?
any good SQ woofers come to mind? thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Well, the ones I mentioned earlier in the post are all pretty decent. JL
subs tend to be very expensive (although they are very good speakers), and
the W6's and W7s have great sound quality. They also cost several hundred
$. Alpine SWR-1242D 12" Dual 4 ohm 500w rms ($139 shipped). Also the
SWS-1242D 12" dual 4 ohm 300w rms ($115 shipped). Pioneer makes several in
that range listed, TS-W126DVC 500w rms ($82 shipped), TS-W306DVC 400w rms
($86 shipped). If you do not just want one of these, get two of the dual 2
ohm models of one of the above. Whatever suits your needs.
Do this... go here.
www.ebay.com
Click on the "Consumer Electronics" option
Click on the "Car Electronics" option
Click on the "Car Subwoofers" option
Leave brand as "Any"
Size = "12"
Voice Coil = "Dual"
Condition = "New"
Then hit the search button, and it will match your criteria. If I can give
any advice is this... Stay away from companies like Volfenhag and Audiobahn
(unless it's the compression piston driven sub which is more for
competition). Don't buy subs that come in prefab boxes, especially the
bandpass crap on there. But I would suggest going to a car audio store in
your area, and listening to the subs to find the one you want. Then go to
ebay and purchase it.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"Dr Nick" wrote in message

"Austin Becker" wrote in message
Sorry, I forgot the link...

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

thanks for the link it's saying my box is 1.646 Cu ft. or 1.476 ct ft (not
sure if it's 3/4" or 1" thick) (using the triangular box calc) so givin
this info. can you recommend some subs in my power range (about 360 watts

at
2 ohms) from ones I've heard I like JL audio's (I think my friend had W6's
but not sure) but I think those are more of an SPL woofer than SQ,

correct?
any good SQ woofers come to mind? thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dr Nick

[...]

thanks for all your help, oh I know the pitfalls that can become from
getting the wrong stuff on ebay (my first "system" was 2 ****ty no name subs
in a crappy sealed box with built in tweeters, haha. and a "Thump gold
series" amp. needless to say I can't describe in words hwo BAD this sounded.
I ended up buying some polk subs and changed them out... it was better but
still pretty bad, got a used amp and it was at least decent. I'm a BIG
researcher so I'll probably go to a local audio store and hear some stuff
before I buy. thanks again for all your information.

-Nick