rick donnelly

Default 2 deck quandry

Hey guys,
I'm an Avionics tech, not an audio installer, so I know enough about
electronics to be dangerous to myself in car audio. LOL! A buddy want to
keep his factory deck and install a separate cd player. Dunno why, but he
does. I came up with a modified switching bus-bar scheme with diodes on the
+ speaker wire to prevent signal from one deck chasing a path into another.
The only other accesories he has is a Kenwood amp and sub, if this further
helps with clarity. Am I out to lunch here? Is there an easier way? Any and
all help would be appreciated.

Rick

rick donnelly

Outstanding! Thanks for the info, David. You've settled a weeks worth of
arguing.

Rick
"David" wrote in message
Diodes won't work. The speaker outputs are not DC voltage, they're AC...

There's a diagram using a couple 4PDT relays here
http://www.underthedash.com/relayindex.html (last diagram)

Hope the info helps...

David
UnderTheDash.com

"rick donnelly" wrote in message
.. .
Hey guys,
I'm an Avionics tech, not an audio installer, so I know enough about
electronics to be dangerous to myself in car audio. LOL! A buddy want to
keep his factory deck and install a separate cd player. Dunno why, but

he
does. I came up with a modified switching bus-bar scheme with diodes on

the
+ speaker wire to prevent signal from one deck chasing a path into

another.
The only other accesories he has is a Kenwood amp and sub, if this

further
helps with clarity. Am I out to lunch here? Is there an easier way? Any

and
all help would be appreciated.

Rick

Kevin Murray

Are these "solid state" relays intended for audio use? Most solid state
relays have a fixed voltage drop in either direction, just like a pair of
diodes paralleled and facing opposite directions (diac). I wasn't aware
there were any solid state relays suitable for audio use.

Kevin Murray

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Supernoma

Why not? You could put RCA connectors on the speaker wires...

--

Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right.
-Woody Allen
[...]

Captain Howdy

It can be done with relays such as the ones used in car starters and alarms,
since they can be wired normally open or normally closed. You can trigger them
with a 12volt input. Only problem is that a 4 speaker system would need 16
relays.