Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

Default What Am I Looking For? EQ?

I have two sets of speakers. I want to remove low end frequencies
going to one set while preserving the full range to the others. Thus,
an EQ hooked up to the amplifier would not work since it would effect
both sets of speakers. Is there such a component that I can sit
between the speakers and the amp and, say, remove all frequencies
below 100Hz (or some designation that I set)?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

On Jun 30, 9:17 am, Dave wrote:
I have two sets of speakers. I want to remove low end frequencies
going to one set while preserving the full range to the others. Thus,
an EQ hooked up to the amplifier would not work since it would effect
both sets of speakers. Is there such a component that I can sit
between the speakers and the amp and, say, remove all frequencies
below 100Hz (or some designation that I set)?

Uhm, gee. How about a 2-channel equalizer with individual
controls for each channel? Or an ordinary stereo equalize
with only one channel in use, the other channel just goes
straight to the power amp, bypassing the EQ?

But, beyond that, do you know WHY one speaker has the
problem? If it's because of the room, an EQ of the type
you're thinking of is NOT likely to fix the problem.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 09:17:40 -0400, Dave
wrote:

I have two sets of speakers. I want to remove low end frequencies
going to one set while preserving the full range to the others. Thus,
an EQ hooked up to the amplifier would not work since it would effect
both sets of speakers. Is there such a component that I can sit
between the speakers and the amp and, say, remove all frequencies
below 100Hz (or some designation that I set)?

It is called a high-pass filter and you can build/buy one by using
half of a speaker crossover. See MCM or PartsExpress for samples.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 09:17:40 -0400, Dave wrote:

I have two sets of speakers. I want to remove low end frequencies
going to one set while preserving the full range to the others. Thus,
an EQ hooked up to the amplifier would not work since it would effect
both sets of speakers. Is there such a component that I can sit
between the speakers and the amp and, say, remove all frequencies
below 100Hz (or some designation that I set)?

Any EQ although a parametric will do a better job.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

"Dave" wrote in message
I have two sets of speakers. I want to remove low end frequencies
going to one set while preserving the full range to the others. Thus,
an EQ hooked up to the amplifier would not work since it would effect
both sets of speakers. Is there such a component that I can sit
between the speakers and the amp and, say, remove all frequencies
below 100Hz (or some designation that I set)?

Dave,

The "poor-man's" solution would be capacitors in series with the speakers. You can't do the
capacitor trick half way, because of the rising impedance of the speaker in the bass
region -- the capacitor has much less effect on the power delivered in those ranges. The
damping goes pretty much to hell. So you must set the cutoff frequency high enough that
there's relatively little of that to worry about. So if you only want below 100 Hz rolled
off, this is a pretty bad solution.

If we set the -3 dB frequency to 265 Hz, then for a nominally 8 Ohm speaker, we'll use 6
Oms, resulting in a nice round 100 mfd. Use twice that value for a 4 Ohm speaker. Use a
non-polarized capacitor, good for 50 Volts or so.

A better solution is to get another amplifier to drive the second pair of speakers. If it
has a bass control or built-in EQ that will do well enough for you, then you're done. If
you want the volume control of the main amplifier to control both sets of speakers, then you
must drive the second amplifier with the pre-out/power-in loop (not available in all
amplifiers) of the first amp, or from the speaker outputs of the first, suitably padded down
with a pair of resistors. Now some purists are going to raise hell pretty quickly, but hey,
voltage is the analog of the sound pressure we're dealing with, and if the first amplifier
can't adequatly deliver that to the first set of speakers, then this whole audio model is
worse than we though. Don't worry about them.

If the second amp doesn't have a suitable bass control or EQ, then you could make a simple
RC network for each channel. For a -3 dB point of 100 Hz, use series capacitor of 0.16 mfd,
followed by a shunt resistor of 10,000 Ohms. Change either to change the -3dB point. Don't
go too high with the R, unless you know the input resistance of the amplifier.

--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

wrote:

I have two sets of speakers. I want to remove low end frequencies
going to one set while preserving the full range to the others. Thus,
an EQ hooked up to the amplifier would not work since it would effect
both sets of speakers. Is there such a component that I can sit
between the speakers and the amp and, say, remove all frequencies
below 100Hz (or some designation that I set)?

It is called a high-pass filter and you can build/buy one by using
half of a speaker crossover. See MCM or PartsExpress for samples.

Thanks Kal--this looks like what I need. This one looks ideal:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-128

except that it takes RCA inputs, which makes me think it wants a line
level input, and not speaker level input. Do you know if the above
will work sitting at the speaker?

The following looked hopeful, but it, too, specifies line level input:

http://www.mcminone.com/content/Prod...555-ST-HP2.pdf

I would prefer not trying to build something as this is not my forte,
but purchase something that is prebuilt that would filter the line
between amp and speaker.

I see the following which would definetly work, but I am really
looking for something with a more finished look.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=266-170

Will one of the two first items work, or do I have to resign myself to
an exposed circuit board?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Dave" wrote ...
I see the following which would definetly work, but I am really
looking for something with a more finished look.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=266-170

Will one of the two first items work, or do I have to resign myself to
an exposed circuit board?

Nothing compells you to put it in the center of the room
Screw it to to the back of the speakers. Or you could even
put it inside the speaker enclosure if you find the apperance
so appaling.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Jun 30, 6:33 pm, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 06:35:36 -0700, wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:17 am, Dave wrote:
I have two sets of speakers. I want to remove low end frequencies
going to one set while preserving the full range to the others. Thus,
an EQ hooked up to the amplifier would not work since it would effect
both sets of speakers. Is there such a component that I can sit
between the speakers and the amp and, say, remove all frequencies
below 100Hz (or some designation that I set)?

Uhm, gee. How about a 2-channel equalizer with individual
controls for each channel? Or an ordinary stereo equalize
with only one channel in use, the other channel just goes
straight to the power amp, bypassing the EQ?

Do you have an product example of a 2-channel equalizer that sits
between the amp and speakers? Equalizers I am familiar with sit
between the sound source and the amp.

There is no such beast as an "EQ" that sits between
the amplifier and the speaker.

But, beyond that, do you know WHY one speaker has the
problem? If it's because of the room, an EQ of the type
you're thinking of is NOT likely to fix the problem.

It's not a problem with the speaker and/or room, just the unique
idiosyncracy of the configuration I am setting up.

Then fix the "idosyncracy" in the system.

Beyond that, so far you've been quite non-specific about
the nature of the "idiosyncracy," concentrating your discussion
not on the problem but on a solution. How, for example, do
you know that an EQ is the solution? You've also been a
little contradictory in your description of the proposed solution,
calling it an EQ but more describing a high-pass filter. I'm
sure the ambiguities are not deliberate, but they're not
helping people understand what it is you're trying to fix.

Describe the "idiosyncracy" why it is you can't fix the root
cause.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you have an product example of a 2-channel equalizer that sits
between the amp and speakers? Equalizers I am familiar with sit
between the sound source and the amp.

There is no such beast as an "EQ" that sits between
the amplifier and the speaker.

I'm sure you know Dick that many speakers have inbuilt passive "EQ" between
the amplifier and speaker drivers. The crossover network itself could be
regarded as "EQ" for each driver, then there is often additional notch
filtering etc. It's just a matter of definition IMO.
However I think he might really be after an active crossover, but has no
idea about the technicalities or terminology involved.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:56:27 +1000, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

I'm sure you know Dick that many speakers have inbuilt passive "EQ" between
the amplifier and speaker drivers. The crossover network itself could be
regarded as "EQ" for each driver, then there is often additional notch
filtering etc. It's just a matter of definition IMO.
However I think he might really be after an active crossover, but has no
idea about the technicalities or terminology involved.

Yes, that is the case. While I have an idea of what I am looking for,
you are right that I don't have a strong sense of the technicalities
or terminology involved. That's where I'm learning.

It does sound like I am looking for a high-pass filter. So here's the
details of the idiosyncracies of what has created this situation:

I have created a specialized chair that has transducers hooked up to
it. I also create special CDs that have very low frequencies encoded
onto them and run these through the chair. I have two external
speakers that I would like to us with this setup, but there is too
much distortion from the low bass frequencies. Thus, I want to pass
the full sound spectrum to the tranducers (or even limit them using
what I now know as a low pass filter, but am happy with their
performance as-is), but filter out those low frequencies for the
external speakers.

The external speakers are tiny--there is no room in the enclosure for
the high pass filter; I would have to either affix it to the outside
of the speaker, put them in their own mounting box at the amp, or find
a prefab solution.

And I truly appreciate everyone's feedback and advice. Without your
help and direction, I would still be surfing the web for a solution!