Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Ping Iain Churches

Hi Iain,

I've been chewing over that short and long chain issue wrt power supply
smoothing.

Did you have any particular component values in mind I could plug into some
equations ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Eeyore said:

Hi Iain,

I've been chewing over that short and long chain issue wrt power supply
smoothing.

Did you have any particular component values in mind I could plug into some
equations ?

See:
http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html

A "stripped" simulator, that works surprisingly good for tube power
supplies.

--
- Ever seen someone with 5.1 ears? So, what does that tell you? -
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Sander deWaal wrote:

Eeyore said:

Hi Iain,

I've been chewing over that short and long chain issue wrt power supply
smoothing.

Did you have any particular component values in mind I could plug into some
equations ?

See:
http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html

A "stripped" simulator, that works surprisingly good for tube power
supplies.

Interesting. I'll look into that. Cheers Sander.

--
- Ever seen someone with 5.1 ears? So, what does that tell you? -

Another interesting subject.

Who else finds 'surround sound' distracting rather than beneficial to music
listening ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches Iain Churches is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Hi Iain,

I've been chewing over that short and long chain issue wrt power supply
smoothing.

Did you have any particular component values in mind I could plug into
some
equations ?

Graham

Hi Graham.

The two ends of the spectrum seem to be:

16µF-5H-16µF
and
200µF-20H-200µF-10H-470µF-R-470µF

I have seen several examples of both. On the last
example of the second type, the R was 5k5.
with the phase splitter and the front end fed from
the last two caps respectively

Best regards
Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Iain Churches wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Hi Iain,

I've been chewing over that short and long chain issue wrt power supply
smoothing.

Did you have any particular component values in mind I could plug into
some equations ?

Graham

Hi Graham.

The two ends of the spectrum seem to be:

16µF-5H-16µF
and
200µF-20H-200µF-10H-470µF-R-470µF

I have seen several examples of both. On the last
example of the second type, the R was 5k5.
with the phase splitter and the front end fed from
the last two caps respectively

My goodness ! They're *that* different. For what kind of output power ( and B+ )
was this ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Iain Churches wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Hi Iain,

I've been chewing over that short and long chain issue wrt power supply
smoothing.

Did you have any particular component values in mind I could plug into
some equations ?

Graham

Hi Graham.

The two ends of the spectrum seem to be:

16µF-5H-16µF
and
200µF-20H-200µF-10H-470µF-R-470µF

I have seen several examples of both. On the last
example of the second type, the R was 5k5.
with the phase splitter and the front end fed from
the last two caps respectively

My goodness ! They're *that* different. For what kind of output power (
and B+ )
was this ?

Yes, quite a contrast, particularly as both amps came from the same stable.
The builder produces exactly what the customer wants (or thinks he wants:-)
And you know how the customer is always right:-))

The first "short chain" amp was an 25W EL34 PP amp with a cascode front end.
There was 420V on the B+

The second was a PPP with two pairs of 6550 per channel. B+ at 600V

Both sounded very good indeed. The big amp was totally silent when idling
in ETS (ear to speaker) test. I got the impression that the bigger amp
sounded
more effortless in sffz orchestral passages when playing at the same level
as its little
brother. I wondered if the stiffer psu contributed to this.

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Eeyore said:

- Ever seen someone with 5.1 ears? So, what does that tell you? -

Another interesting subject.

Hmmm.........there's some discussion about my sig going on in RAO at
the moment ;-)

--
- Ever seen someone with 5.1 ears? So, what does that tell you? -
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] shoppa@trailing-edge.com is offline

Iain Churches wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message

Iain Churches wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

[...]

I compared a 92 Geo Metro with a 2006 Ford Mustang. The Mustang felt
like it had more power. I wonder if it was the Air Freshener hanging
from the rearview mirror.

:-).

Tim.