Steven Sena

Default Behringer mixers

Low end... Cheap...Better than nothing, I guess...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound

"Jerry" wrote in message
Does anyone have any feedback to share regarding Behringer mixers?

Jerry

Paul van der Heu

"Steven Sena" wrote :

Low end... Cheap...Better than nothing, I guess...

Based on what? your (recent) experience with them or hearsay.. BEhringer
has come a LONG way over the last 2 years..

Having used my DDX 3216 quite intensive over the last three months (on the
road). I can it is a stable, well built and great sounding piece of
equipment. It's flexible, intuitive and the bands I work with notice it
sounds much better then my previous mixer (A&H GL3300)..

32in/22out and 2 ADAT lightpipes I/O for under 2200 euros.. and it works
great!

One of the bands I work with bought a Midas (Venice) recently, for almost
three times what I paid for my setup, and after two monts parts are coming
loose and I heard strange squicky noises when I open the case..

Low end? nope

cheap? yes (as in mucho bang for your bucks)

Better then nothing? what isn't!

--
Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows,
how are you gonna guarantee my safety..
Steven Sena

yeah...whatever...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound

"Paul van der Heu" wrote in message
"Steven Sena" wrote :

[...]

Andrew M.

Jerry wrote:

Does anyone have any feedback to share regarding Behringer mixers?

Jerry

YES...they all SUCK! Buy the products that Behringer copies. They ALL
sound way better.

Gary Morrison

Behringer touts their mixers as being very-low-noise, but that's a load of
hooey when it comes to their headphone outputs at least. Curiously, I've
really only used their mixers for headphone applications, so I don't know
what their line-level outputs sound like.

Short version: Buy Mackie instead.

Nevertheless, there is one Behringer product that I am overall pretty
impressed with: Their noise-reducer. It appears to be an original design
rather than yet another one of their cheap knock-offs of the corresponding
Mackie product. (I don't know of any equivalent Mackie product, but if I
did, I'd buy the Mackie instead.) In short, it's the confluence of a
downward expander with a quickly-sweeping lowpass filter. The downward
expander of course is to knock out noise (noise of any sort) while the
source is effectively silent, and the sweeping lowpass filter to knock out
electronic hiss when the expander is ... "open" for lack of a better word.
It seems to work quite well from what I've seen, even doing a reasonably
unobtrusive job when the source is extremely noisy. By the way, I don't
recommend using its "automatic" setting; you'll get much better results
when you fine-tune it to the particular source.

Obviously of course, any example of this sort of electronic fakery must be
treated as a last resort, and if you do have to resort ot using them,
they'll do a vastly better job when the source is only slightly noisy.
That is, first and foremost, you have to do everything possible to simply
get the noise out of the source before applying noise reducers.

George Gleason

"Jerry" wrote in message
Does anyone have any feedback to share regarding Behringer mixers?

equal to the best mackie ever made but at 1/3 the cost
George

Michael Drainer

Mackie and Behringer... All the same really. Both made in China and both
noisy. The simple fact is, you get what you pay for. If you want a good
console with low noise, fork up the bucks. Soundcraft MH-3, Midas XL-4,
Crest VX. All of these manufactures make small frame sizes for their good
consoles.

"Gary Morrison" wrote in message
[...]

ScotFraser

Nevertheless, there is one Behringer product that I am overall pretty
impressed with: Their noise-reducer. It appears to be an original design
rather than yet another one of their cheap knock-offs of the corresponding
Mackie product. (I don't know of any equivalent Mackie product, but if I
did, I'd buy the Mackie instead.) In short, it's the confluence of a
downward expander with a quickly-sweeping lowpass filter.

Don't know how original the design can be because downward expanders & program
dependent lowpass filters have been implemented as noise reduction units by
many manufactures for at least 30 years.

Scott Fraser
Phildo

"Gary Morrison" wrote in message
Behringer touts their mixers as being very-low-noise, but that's a load of
hooey when it comes to their headphone outputs at least. Curiously, I've
really only used their mixers for headphone applications, so I don't know
what their line-level outputs sound like.

Short version: Buy Mackie instead.

While that may have been true several years ago it certainly doesn't hold
true now. Behringer use 4580 opamps whereas Mackie goes for 4560 and 2068
which do not deliver the same noise performance. Let someone in the group
measure the noise specs of the mixers and you'll see for yourself. Faders
and pots on Behringer are either Alps or Panasonic. In mediocre mixers
you'll find Taiwan Alpha.

Phildo

Phildo

"Steven Sena" wrote in message
yeah...whatever...

Your ignorance is your loss.

Phildo

Phildo

"Troy" wrote in message
Don't throw your money away.Buy a good mixer.

Alot of the stuff they ship dosen't even work new ,out of the box.

While that would have been true 3 or 4 years ago, the situation has much
improved and that is not the case now.

I would
buy a Mackie over a Behringer any day.

Fool.

I have a Mackie 24/8 that has been in
use for 7 or 8 yrs with no problems.If you want cheap.....buy a good used
mixer.

I've had mackies die on me right out of the box. There is no better bang for
the buck than Behringer.

Phildo

Troy

I woulden't trust behringer based on the crap they were selling 3 to 4 years
ago.Any company with such a poor reputation should be out of business ,but
people like you keep buying there **** not because it's good,but because
it's cheap.You get what you pay for.

Phildo wrote in message

"Troy" wrote in message
Don't throw your money away.Buy a good mixer.

Alot of the stuff they ship dosen't even work new ,out of the box.

While that would have been true 3 or 4 years ago, the situation has much
improved and that is not the case now.

I would
buy a Mackie over a Behringer any day.

Fool.

I have a Mackie 24/8 that has been in
use for 7 or 8 yrs with no problems.If you want cheap.....buy a good

used
mixer.

I've had mackies die on me right out of the box. There is no better bang

for
the buck than Behringer.

Phildo

George Gleason

"Steven Sena" wrote :

[...]

I have mixed on several of the venice consloe and loved mixing on them the
headroom and eq have no equal
BUT nearly every owner I have talked to have reported the same ****-ant
failures that they never expected buying a "Midas"
IMO the midas was rushed to market and not thought out very well(in areas
such as the aux buss pre/post setup, the phantom power switches, the vent
holes that bleed sun light into the LEDs)
thank god I saw this before I bought one!!!
George

Roger W. Norman

Which was one of my reasons for going with the Crest, although why this
thing is even suggested for anything BUT an installation I don't know.
Phantom power is not only recessed but on the back panel and a bear to
reach. It works fine in my gig rig for a weeks worth of festival events,
but it's really a pain otherwise, so I have two different rack units to
carry it in, depending on the type of gig. For some reason I simply don't
like mixing in the vertical (which is necessary if you want access to the
backplane. Seems too strange.

But then the product itself is excellent in sound quality and routing
flexibility if one ignores the less than stellar ease of setup. Overall I'm
still glad I didn't get the Venice.

However, George, I don't know how this relates to a Behringer thread! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Steven Sena" wrote :

[...]

George Gleason

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
Which was one of my reasons for going with the Crest, although why this
thing is even suggested for anything BUT an installation I don't know.
Phantom power is not only recessed but on the back panel and a bear to
reach. It works fine in my gig rig for a weeks worth of festival events,
but it's really a pain otherwise, so I have two different rack units to
carry it in, depending on the type of gig. For some reason I simply don't
like mixing in the vertical (which is necessary if you want access to the
backplane. Seems too strange.

But then the product itself is excellent in sound quality and routing
flexibility if one ignores the less than stellar ease of setup. Overall

I'm
still glad I didn't get the Venice.

However, George, I don't know how this relates to a Behringer thread! g

My GL2's were set up like your crest
I ended up making a duplicate back panel and a slant rack with patches to
the gl2's inputs so I could get easy access
while i was at it I added a parellel mult for the snake
George

ScotFraser

I have mixed on several of the venice consloe and loved mixing on them the
headroom and eq have no equal
BUT nearly every owner I have talked to have reported the same ****-ant
failures that they never expected buying a "Midas"
IMO the midas was rushed to market and not thought out very well(in areas
such as the aux buss pre/post setup, the phantom power switches, the vent
holes that bleed sun light into the LEDs)
thank god I saw this before I bought one!!!
George

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Venice. The short faders are what I'd expect
on a Mackie, the aux pre/post arrangement is just dumb, the lack of matrices is
a problem for me. Overall, I don't think it's really a Midas design. It looks &
feels like one the lower end DDA's, rebadged.

Scott Fraser
Roger W. Norman

The 3216 was just lowered in price to $999 USD as I recall seeing. That
makes it an interesting piece to look at, and it has gotten some pretty good
reviews. This doesn't, however, speak one way or the other about such
things as support, manuals, ease of use in design, etc.

Behringer B1 or C1??? Rob A General 0 July 27th 04 10:58 AM
Strange problem with Behringer mixer qIroS Pro Audio 7 October 15th 03 02:55 AM
Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer vs. similar Behringer and Alesis 8-10 channel mixers dnrg Pro Audio 2 August 12th 03 12:59 AM
Mixer Behringer MX8000 MANUAL S.O.S. John LeBlanc Pro Audio 1 July 15th 03 05:06 PM
newbie question: Behringer mixers, headphone out avicenna Pro Audio 3 July 7th 03 12:25 AM