jibs

Default B&K st-140 and mmg's

I just bought a B&K ST-140. I am using my yamaha DSP-A1 as a preamp
and using magnepan MMG's. Question- Is this amp big enough for these
speakers? And, how about hte preamp? I am pleased with the sound, but
I really have nothing to compare it to except using my Yamaha as the
amp previously. Am I missing out, or is this a decent combination. I
am on a budget too, so keep that in mind with reccomendations.

Thanks Alot
BEAR

jibs wrote:
I just bought a B&K ST-140. I am using my yamaha DSP-A1 as a preamp
and using magnepan MMG's. Question- Is this amp big enough for these
speakers? And, how about hte preamp? I am pleased with the sound, but
I really have nothing to compare it to except using my Yamaha as the
amp previously. Am I missing out, or is this a decent combination. I
am on a budget too, so keep that in mind with reccomendations.

Thanks Alot

Should be ok.

Not my fav amp, but on a budget what the heck.

I tend toward a minimalist signal path myself, so at this point in the
technology path my preferences are away from DSP'd processing generally
speaking. (although at some point I expect this may prove to be a
superior way to go - I throw this in for the regular contributors)

Much depends on the average level you listen at, the maximum power
handling of the speaker, the sensitivity of the speaker and the size of
the room. Assuming you don't clip the amp much or at all, you'll get
decent sound generally speaking.

Beyond that you start to get into esoteric details - which may prove
enticing and of interest to you subsequently, or not.

enjoy your sound!

_-_-bear