Pharacyde

Default WTF happened??

In relation to another post....

Recently I had a speaker go bad (thanks for the info Paul). I also had
both crossovers go bad. A 15uf 63v cap exploded inside each crossover.
At the same time I noticed that my headlights were out. The headlights
eventually came back on a couple hours later on their own, after I had
tore everything out to have a look at them of course. No shorts, blown
fuses, or anything else to indicate a problem beyond the exploded
caps.

I was driving normally, had the stereo up to about 75%, and I heard a
pop, I 99% sure it was the caps. Any clue as to what happened?

system

Panasonic deck
jl 300/4
focal component set 165 V3 E
jl 500/1
2x jl 10w3v2 subs
--
Pharacyde
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=162576

Kevin McMurtrie

In article m,
Pharacyde wrote:

[...]

The amp may have gone into ultrasonic oscillation. That would blow out
the crossover capacitors and fry the tweeters.

The headlight outage was probably due to a dead battery. Whether the
oscillation happened from a dead battery or caused a dead battery is
something you'll have to check.