John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Thumbs up Guitar Amps without Isolation Transformer

Checked circuits in Aspen Pitman's 'The Tube Amp Book' 4th Ed.

Found 5 as follows-

Harmony 400A, with 12AU6, 50C5 & 35W4
Kay 500, with 12AU6, 50L6 & 35Z5. Also 12AT6 for Tremolo
Kay 703-C, with 18GD6, 60FX5, 36AM3
Supra S6611, with 12AU6, 50C5 & Diode Rectifier
MI 401, with 20EZ7, 45B5, 36AM3

Oddly, nothing with halfwave voltage doublers which could have doubled OP power at low cost.

Most use a simple paralled RC pair to isolate the input stage from the rectifier circuit negative lead. Component values set to limit leakage current to about 2 mA even when the power plug was inserted wrong way around.

The Harmony 400A uses a 1:1 transformer in series with the heater 150 mA cct to apply the resulting 150 mA on the other side to the 12AU6 heater. That would help the hum problem.

The MI-401 uses an input transformer to isolate the operator.

Cheers, John
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Guitar Amps without Isolation Transformer

"John L Stewart"

Oddly, nothing with halfwave voltage doublers which could have doubled
OP power at low cost.

** If a maker did that, the DC supply is +/- 170 volts with neutral/ground
at the centre point.

So, the signal common is now -170 volts relative to ground.

Which way around is the correct ( ie safe) one for the AC plug ??

Most use a simple paralled RC pair to isolate the input stage from the
rectifier circuit negative lead. Component values set to limit leakage
current to about 2 mA even when the power plug was inserted wrong way
around.

** Long as that .047uF cap does not fail.

BTW:

These amps become quite lethal if used in a 240VAC country with a step-down
tranny that does not provide isolation - ie an auto-transformer. The
voltage across that poor little cap can easily become 240VAC and it will
fail very soon.

Auto-transformers suitable for such small guitar amps ARE on sale at retail
stores here in Australia as well as over the internet.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...SUBCAT ID=449

A similar problem applies to older US made guitar amps with two pin plugs
that employ isolation transformers but include a " death cap" wired from the
AC supply to chassis.

Private importation of such amps into Australia is now quite common because
of eBay.

..... Phil

John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
On Sat, 14 May 2011 20:07:25 +0000, John L Stewart
wrote:

Checked circuits in Aspen Pitman's 'The Tube Amp Book' 4th Ed.

Found 5 as follows-

Harmony 400A, with 12AU6, 50C5 & 35W4
Kay 500, with 12AU6, 50L6 & 35Z5. Also 12AT6 for Tremolo
Kay 703-C, with 18GD6, 60FX5, 36AM3
Supra S6611, with 12AU6, 50C5 & Diode Rectifier
MI 401, with 20EZ7, 45B5, 36AM3

Oddly, nothing with halfwave voltage doublers which could have doubled
OP power at low cost.

Most of the series string OP tubes were 110V rated anyway, originating
for AA5 radios, so a voltage doubler would have been seriously over
voltage.

One exception I can think of off the top of my head is that 45B5,
which is a 100mA series string equivalent to the 6CW5. Screen is
limited to 200V, though.

Most use a simple paralled RC pair to isolate the input stage from the
rectifier circuit negative lead. Component values set to limit leakage
current to about 2 mA even when the power plug was inserted wrong way
around.

The Harmony 400A uses a 1:1 transformer in series with the heater 150 mA
cct to apply the resulting 150 mA on the other side to the 12AU6 heater.
That would help the hum problem.

The MI-401 uses an input transformer to isolate the operator.

Cheers, John
Both 35L6 & 50L6 can run 200 volts on the anode. Add another 8 volts for bias & a 10 volt drop in the OPT & you quickly get to the volts available at the PS filter output. So no problem there.

Screen supply thru a dropping R helps stabilize the operating point. All works well, I've done it several times.

Cheers, John
John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Allison[_3_] View Post
"John L Stewart"

[...]

If the voltage doubler used is half-wave then the supply & load zero rail is common. So no problem with the signal common, same as with a simple half-wave rectifier supply.

A full-wave doubler is a nogo for this application. That really needs an isolation transformer.

BTW, I use a Hammond One KW auto transformer here to cut firewood in the bush. I ran 110/220 underground all the way to the back of the property. That way I can run a large 110 volt chain saw with no problem.

Cheers, John
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
John L Stewart wrote:

Checked circuits in Aspen Pitman's 'The Tube Amp Book' 4th Ed.

Found 5 as follows-

Harmony 400A, with 12AU6, 50C5 & 35W4
Kay 500, with 12AU6, 50L6 & 35Z5. Also 12AT6 for Tremolo
Kay 703-C, with 18GD6, 60FX5, 36AM3
Supra S6611, with 12AU6, 50C5 & Diode Rectifier
MI 401, with 20EZ7, 45B5, 36AM3

Oddly, nothing with halfwave voltage doublers which could have doubled
OP power at low cost.

I would be curious to see a sketch of how you would propose incorporating a
voltage doubler in an amp like these at "low cost"? There are three or four
design issues that appear difficult to resolve at "low cost".

I would think a push-pull output stage would be a better way to increase the
power at low cost.

Most use a simple paralled RC pair to isolate the input stage from the
rectifier circuit negative lead. Component values set to limit leakage
current to about 2 mA even when the power plug was inserted wrong way
around.

I didn't understand what you meant by isolating the input stage this way until I
looked up the schematic of the Harmony 400A on the Web, do the other amps you
mention use a similar "isolation" circuit technique between the input and output
stags?

The Harmony 400A uses a 1:1 transformer in series with the heater 150 mA
cct to apply the resulting 150 mA on the other side to the 12AU6 heater.
That would help the hum problem.

I don't understand how the 1:1 transformer "would help the hum problem" to any
significant extent? I would think that the major hum problem with this circuit
is that any AC voltage that appears across the "paralled RC pair" isolation
network will be applied directly to the grid of the output tube.

The MI-401 uses an input transformer to isolate the operator.

This seems like a far better way to provide isolation, albeit at a significant
cost.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 05/14/11 18:20, flipper so wittily quipped:
wrote:

Checked circuits in Aspen Pitman's 'The Tube Amp Book' 4th Ed.

Found 5 as follows-

Harmony 400A, with 12AU6, 50C5& 35W4
Kay 500, with 12AU6, 50L6& 35Z5. Also 12AT6 for Tremolo
Kay 703-C, with 18GD6, 60FX5, 36AM3
Supra S6611, with 12AU6, 50C5& Diode Rectifier
MI 401, with 20EZ7, 45B5, 36AM3

Oddly, nothing with halfwave voltage doublers which could have doubled
OP power at low cost.

Most of the series string OP tubes were 110V rated anyway, originating
for AA5 radios, so a voltage doubler would have been seriously over
voltage.

another problem might be high heater:cathode volts causing hum in the
pre-amp circuits, etc. . using high value cathode bypass capacitors
would have driven the cost up and without a PT a separate bias voltage
could've been more difficult. Still someone may have 'found a way' so
it could be interesting to see if anyone resolved this.

John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Byrns View Post
In article ,
John L Stewart wrote:

[...]

Hi John- That is a very good question. First of all when I look at how a design could be improved I consider what devices were available to the designer at the time. Then, how could those be assembled in the package & hardware that were used.

There are a couple of double diode rectifiers that would be OK hooked up as half-wave voltage doublers, still in that 35Z5 octal socket. They would be either 50Y6GT or 117Z7GT. Both have 350 volt heater-cathode rating. So with one extra electrolytic cap something more than 200 volts DC becomes available from a 110 VAC supply.

The 50Y6GT satisfies the 150 mA heater string & if the 50L6GT is left as before the other 12 or more volts can run a 12AX7 or 12AU6, just like in the original design. And no need for a heater dropping resistor.

A 2 watt dropping resister & another electrolytic supply screen volts to the 50L6GT & if you like the plate supply for the AX7 or AU7. But they are needed in the original circuit as well.

So looks like would be possible to get about a 3 db increase in power with only the extra electrolytic in the doubler circuit. We will also need a bit more iron in the OPT.

Using the 117Z6GT rectifier is not as elegant a solution but would work anyway. But you now need a heater dropping resistor.

PP OP would no doubt deliver more power but brings with it other issues. These would include a CT OPT, phase inverter, extra octal socket, etc. Then there is the problem of enough heater volts. Two 50L6GT’s don’t leave anything for a tube rectifier. That could be run on a separate heater circuit. Or it would be possible to use 25L6’s instead on a 300 mA heater string. That translates to about double the heat, another problem. And you would need a rectifier capable of a bit more than 100 mA.

The 1:1 transformer secondary running the 12AU6 heater is tied directly to the –ve supply lead, so very little modulation of its cathode as otherwise may occur.

All academic now since this kind of technology would not get a pass from UL, CSA or anybody else!

Cheers, John
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 05/15/11 14:42, John L Stewart so wittily quipped:
The 50Y6GT satisfies the 150 mA heater string& if the 50L6GT is left as
before the other 12 or more volts can run a 12AX7 or 12AU6, just like in
the original design. And no need for a heater dropping resistor.

sounds like the right approach.

All academic now since this kind of technology would not get a pass from
UL, CSA or anybody else!

Academic, yeah. Still it might get approval if you can double insulate
it. You would have to make it ridiculously impossible for fingers to
come in contact with the chassis, or make the chassis 'earth ground' and
isolate the amp itself from the chassis ground. It's possible a power
transformer would soon become a cheaper alternative.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
John L Stewart wrote:

John Byrns;931528 Wrote:
In article ,
John L Stewart wrote:
-
[...]

Hi John,

I'm glad that you stuck to what was available to the designer at the time,
whatever precise time that may have been.

There are a couple of double diode rectifiers that would be OK hooked up
as half-wave voltage doublers, still in that 35Z5 octal socket. They
would be either 50Y6GT or 117Z7GT. Both have 350 volt heater-cathode
rating. So with one extra electrolytic cap something more than 200 volts
DC becomes available from a 110 VAC supply.

The 50Y6GT satisfies the 150 mA heater string & if the 50L6GT is left as
before the other 12 or more volts can run a 12AX7 or 12AU6, just like in
the original design. And no need for a heater dropping resistor.

A 2 watt dropping resister & another electrolytic supply screen volts to
the 50L6GT & if you like the plate supply for the AX7 or AU7. But they
are needed in the original circuit as well.

An excellent proposal, the 50Y6GT is an unusual tube that wasn't very common, at
least in my experience. For whatever reason voltage doublers seem to have been
mostly used in equipment that used a field coil speaker and had the field coil
connected in series with the B+.

So looks like would be possible to get about a 3 db increase in power
with only the extra electrolytic in the doubler circuit. We will also
need a bit more iron in the OPT.

So we have three cost items, a more expensive rectifier tube, an extra
electrolytic capacitor, and a more expensive output transformer.

An alternate way to gain 3 dB would be to use a push-pull output stage. This
would obviously drive up the tube cost, and would require a few extra small Rs
and Cs, however on the savings side one electrolytic capacitor could be
eliminated, and the cost of the output transformer would probably be less.

Using the 117Z6GT rectifier is not as elegant a solution but would work
anyway. But you now need a heater dropping resistor.

The 117Z6GT rectifier is totally inelegant!

PP OP would no doubt deliver more power but brings with it other issues.
These would include a CT OPT, phase inverter, extra octal socket, etc.
Then there is the problem of enough heater volts. Two 50L6GT’s don’t
leave anything for a tube rectifier. That could be run on a separate
heater circuit. Or it would be possible to use 25L6’s instead on a 300
mA heater string. That translates to about double the heat, another
problem. And you would need a rectifier capable of a bit more than 100
mA.

Yes, the phase inverter and extra socket and associated small components add
extra cost. My guess is that the cost of the output transformer doesn't
increase as it does with the voltage doubler approach. Yes, a center tap must
be added to the primary, however the air gap in the core can be greatly reduced
vs. the voltage doubler single ended approach, meaning that the push-pull
transformer will require less copper and iron resulting in a less expensive
transformer.

The 1:1 transformer secondary running the 12AU6 heater is tied directly
to the –ve supply lead, so very little modulation of its cathode as
otherwise may occur.

While I considered the effect of heater to cathode leakage on a normal cathode
resistor, and any leakage from the input circuit on the "isolation" RC, I
completely missed the fact that the heater to cathode leakage current also flows
through the isolation network and appears across the grid to cathode of the
output tube.

A push-pull circuit would mitigate this heater to cathode leakage effect to a
great extent, potentially eliminating the need for the heater transformer in a
push-pull version, another cost advantage for a push pull circuit.

All academic now since this kind of technology would not get a pass from
UL, CSA or anybody else!

Ground the chassis and use a dual bobbin output and input transformer?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Byrns View Post
In article ,
John L Stewart wrote:

John Byrns;931528 Wrote:
In article ,
John L Stewart wrote:
-
[...]

That is a fine response John, but now you are way over budget. The extra socket & labor involved would push the cost up more than an extra cap in the simple half-wave doubler scheme I suggested. And now you have a 0.3 amp heater string rather than half that.

I was trying to come as close to the original as possible. Your scheme goes way off track.

By the way, have you ever built a doubler of any kind & did objective measurements of its performance? How about showing us some real amps or tuners you have built from scratch (not a kit), your own design, not a copy of someone elses work. And please, with explanations of why you did certain things.

Just checking if you are still able to ID the hot end of a soldering iron.

Cheers, John S who is still able to ID the handle end of a screwdriver!
Attached Images