Posted to rec.audio.pro, rec.audio.car
javawizard javawizard is offline

Default A Deaf Person's Audio System

One day, my friend Tom, who is totally deaf, bought a new convertible.
Not wanting to be different from anyone else, he had a radio in it.
When he came to proudly show me his new car, I could hardly get near
it. Tom had the radio turned on full-blast, and tuned between two
stations. - from www.odd-info.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro, rec.audio.car
[email protected] jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com is offline

On Nov 29, 7:29 am, javawizard wrote:
One day, my friend Tom, who is totally deaf, bought a new convertible.
Not wanting to be different from anyone else, he had a radio in it.
When he came to proudly show me his new car, I could hardly get near
it. Tom had the radio turned on full-blast, and tuned between two
stations. - fromwww.odd-info.com

Can't wait to "see" the story about the blind man's home theater.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car
Six String Stu[_2_] Six String Stu[_2_] is offline

wrote in message
On Nov 29, 7:29 am, javawizard wrote:
One day, my friend Tom, who is totally deaf, bought a new convertible.
Not wanting to be different from anyone else, he had a radio in it.
When he came to proudly show me his new car, I could hardly get near
it. Tom had the radio turned on full-blast, and tuned between two
stations. - fromwww.odd-info.com

Can't wait to "see" the story about the blind man's home theater.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

I'm vision impaired and I "watch" movies all the time.
Subtitles and sight gags are tough though i'll admit. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "Six String Stu" wrote:

wrote in message
On Nov 29, 7:29 am, javawizard wrote:
One day, my friend Tom, who is totally deaf, bought a new convertible.
Not wanting to be different from anyone else, he had a radio in it.
When he came to proudly show me his new car, I could hardly get near
it. Tom had the radio turned on full-blast, and tuned between two
stations. - fromwww.odd-info.com

Can't wait to "see" the story about the blind man's home theater.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

I'm vision impaired and I "watch" movies all the time.
Subtitles and sight gags are tough though i'll admit. :-)

That reminds me of using two AM radios tunned on the sides
of the carrier to get stereo or am I just imagining things !!

greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car
Ralf R. Radermacher Ralf R. Radermacher is offline

GregS wrote:

That reminds me of using two AM radios tunned on the sides
of the carrier to get stereo or am I just imagining things !!

.... a concept which in fact isn't altogether new. There was a time when
the VoA and other SW broadcasters used AM (well, suppressed carrier)
transmissions with different audio feeds on the two sidebands to relay
programmes to transmitter sites in remote parts of the world.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car

javawizard wrote:

One day, my friend Tom, who is totally deaf, bought a new convertible.
Not wanting to be different from anyone else, he had a radio in it.
When he came to proudly show me his new car, I could hardly get near
it. Tom had the radio turned on full-blast, and tuned between two
stations. - from www.odd-info.com

I do not believe this to be true, deafness does not imply insensitivy to
vibrations.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car

"Peter Larsen" wrote ...
javawizard wrote:

One day, my friend Tom, who is totally deaf, bought a new convertible.
Not wanting to be different from anyone else, he had a radio in it.
When he came to proudly show me his new car, I could hardly get near
it. Tom had the radio turned on full-blast, and tuned between two
stations. - from www.odd-info.com

I do not believe this to be true, deafness does not imply insensitivy to
vibrations.

Explain how the vibrations from even the largest speaker system
installed in a car could possibly compete with the wind-blast from
driving a convertible even at only 5 KM/H.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:48:53 +0100, "Peter Larsen"
wrote:

One day, my friend Tom, who is totally deaf, bought a new convertible.
Not wanting to be different from anyone else, he had a radio in it.
When he came to proudly show me his new car, I could hardly get near
it. Tom had the radio turned on full-blast, and tuned between two
stations. - from www.odd-info.com

I do not believe this to be true, deafness does not imply insensitivy to
vibrations.

If someone is sensitive to vibrations enough to get any musical
information, wouldn't that be reasonably described as "hearing"?
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car
Six String Stu[_2_] Six String Stu[_2_] is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Peter Larsen" wrote ...
javawizard wrote:

One day, my friend Tom, who is totally deaf, bought a new convertible.
Not wanting to be different from anyone else, he had a radio in it.
When he came to proudly show me his new car, I could hardly get near
it. Tom had the radio turned on full-blast, and tuned between two
stations. - from www.odd-info.com

I do not believe this to be true, deafness does not imply insensitivy to
vibrations.

Explain how the vibrations from even the largest speaker system
installed in a car could possibly compete with the wind-blast from
driving a convertible even at only 5 KM/H.

He's probably thinking the guy had one of those thumping bass boosters in
the trunk. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:59:15 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

I do not believe this to be true, deafness does not imply insensitivy to
vibrations.

Explain how the vibrations from even the largest speaker system
installed in a car could possibly compete with the wind-blast from
driving a convertible even at only 5 KM/H.

Why would they have to compete?
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
I do not believe this to be true, deafness does not imply
insensitivy to
vibrations.

Explain how the vibrations from even the largest speaker system
installed in a car could possibly compete with the wind-blast from
driving a convertible even at only 5 KM/H.

Why would they have to compete?

If you were hearing-impaired (and had only tactile
vibration to sense the effect) I propose that it is
unlikely that any conventional auto sound system
could be perceived independently of road vibration
or the wind-stream in a convertible.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
I do not believe this to be true, deafness does not imply
insensitivy to
vibrations.

Explain how the vibrations from even the largest speaker system
installed in a car could possibly compete with the wind-blast from
driving a convertible even at only 5 KM/H.

Why would they have to compete?

If you were hearing-impaired (and had only tactile
vibration to sense the effect) I propose that it is
unlikely that any conventional auto sound system
could be perceived independently of road vibration
or the wind-stream in a convertible.

Long time ago, right after the dinosaurs died, an average of four nights
a week fifty weeks a year, Armadillo World Headquarters would have
soundchecks in the afternoon for various well-known musical artists.
Some of those artists were bands that played extremely loudly. On many
of those ocassions kids from the Texas School for the Deaf would visit
us and sit through the soundcheck. They could feel it and they enjoyed
it.

One of my favorite enjoyments was one afternoon when a band was playing
silly loud for soundcheck and a Texas hailstorm blew over. AWHQ at the
time had a heavy metal (heh) roof without benefit of the insulation that
would later be sprayed into place. The hailstones were about the size of
tennis balls and they made one hell of a racket on the roof. Completely
drowned out the band. I loved it. Car dealers throughout Austin did not
enjoy it so much. Their inventories took quite a beating.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote ...

javawizard wrote:

One day, my friend Tom, who is totally deaf, bought a new
convertible. Not wanting to be different from anyone else, he had a
radio in it. When he came to proudly show me his new car, I could
hardly get near it. Tom had the radio turned on full-blast, and
tuned between two stations. - from www.odd-info.com

I do not believe this to be true, deafness does not imply
insensitivy to vibrations.

Explain how the vibrations from even the largest speaker system
installed in a car could possibly compete with the wind-blast from
driving a convertible even at only 5 KM/H.

By making comparable or larger SPL in frequency areas of interest of course.

As for the general topic of deaf people and most certainly deaf children it
so happens that it is "known and described" in the literature that they
benefit as much from music therapy as anybody, it just has to be louder.
There is an almost completely deaf british percussionist around, she was the
subject of a tv special some years ago.

Music is not only heard, it is also felt, as is immersion in any other
noise. It is for that very reason that earplugs actually in my opinion adds
to the loud music concert experience by reducing the overload and the thus
resulting distortion in the aural experience and my increasing the body to
hearing sound experience ratio.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car

"Peter Larsen" wrote ...
As for the general topic of deaf people and most certainly deaf
children it so happens that it is "known and described" in the
literature that they benefit as much from music therapy as anybody, it
just has to be louder.

Of course. But not in a moving convertible.

There is an almost completely deaf british percussionist around, she
was the subject of a tv special some years ago.

I'd bet that Ms. Glennie would have a difficult time performing
next to a jackhammer or in a moving truck.

Music is not only heard, it is also felt, as is immersion in any other
noise. It is for that very reason that earplugs actually in my opinion
adds to the loud music concert experience by reducing the overload and
the thus resulting distortion in the aural experience and my
increasing the body to hearing sound experience ratio.

All true. But you seem to be sidesteping the actual question
of this discussion, which is whether music can be felt in the
context of a moving convertible.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.car

Richard Crowley wrote:

All true. But you seem to be sidesteping the actual question
of this discussion, which is whether music can be felt in the
context of a moving convertible.

Is there a volunteer with a convertible in the audience ... seems like an
actual experiment is the best way to settle this.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen